|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the poet decide to forswear earthly vanities?
(a) He finds them the key to destruction.
(b) He will wait a time to build humility.
(c) Change holds sway over them for now.
(d) There is no real joy found in them.
2. Why does Serena flee into the woods again?
(a) Timias is trying to attack her.
(b) She thinks she sees Calidore.
(c) She thinks Timias is dead.
(d) She is scared by the hermit.
3. What lets Radigund defeat Artegall?
(a) She is a better fighter.
(b) Artegall allows himself to lose so that he can study the Amazons from captivity.
(c) When he sees her face after taking off her helmet, he is overcome by her beauty.
(d) Artegall cannot kill a woman.
4. Why does Adicia let Artegall into the castle?
(a) He breaks down the door, and she has no choice.
(b) He is wearing the armor of one of the knights he killed.
(c) He knows the password, so she assumes he is a friend.
(d) She is attracted to his beauty and wishes to seduce him.
5. Which one of these is NOT one of the things that the hermit teaches Serena and Timias?
(a) Self Control.
(b) Kindness to all.
(c) Avoidance of Secrets.
(d) Virtuous Living.
6. Who kills Malengin?
7. Why is Priscilla crying when Calidore come across her in the road?
(a) Her knight has been mistreating her.
(b) She is lost and alone and fears for her life.
(c) Her knight has been sorely wounded.
(d) Her knight has deserted her.
8. Who is Calidore searching for?
(a) The Blatant Beast.
(b) The Hairy Carl.
9. What is Britomart so disgusted about when she sees Artegall?
(a) She finds him with Radigund.
(b) He is wearing women's clothing.
(c) He has many horrible wounds.
(d) She finds him with Clarinda.
10. What two things does Calpine leave behind once again?
(a) His armor and his horse.
(b) His sword and his shield.
(c) His helmet and his food.
(d) Serena and Timias.
11. What causes Calidore to stop his quest for the Blatant Beast?
(a) He hears Serena in the woods.
(b) Pastorella, a lovely shepherdess.
(c) He collapses from fatigue.
(d) He meets up with Arthur and helps him with his quest.
12. What stops Arthur and Enias from killing the two creatures that were mistreating Mirabella?
(a) Mirabell explains that she needs them for her recovery from pride.
(b) Arthur takes pity on their mournful pleas.
(c) They see Timias in the woods and rush to give him aid.
(d) They dissapear in a swirl of black smoke.
13. What does the poet say Mutability cannot control?
(a) The earth.
(b) The underworld.
(c) The oceans.
(d) The heavens.
14. What does Munera do to distract Artegall and Talus?
(a) Throws gold over the wall.
(b) Tries to seduce them.
(c) Claims to be in dire need of help and sends them on a fool's errand.
(d) Gives them bad instructions and sends them off into the woods.
15. What does Turpine do after Arthur leaves?
(a) Sets off on a journey to the house of Holiness.
(b) Sends two knights after Arthur to kill him.
(c) Finds a maiden and ravishes her.
(d) Attempts to kill himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main competition for Pastorella's love?
2. What are the names of the three figures who attacked Timias?
3. Why does Dolon set a trap for Britomart?
4. Where is the monster found?
5. What does Calpine feel determines a child's destiny?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)