|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Guyon fight The Red Cross Knight?
(a) He thinks The Red Cross Knight is Archimago in disguise.
(b) Archimago and Druessa trick him into thinking that The Red Cross Knight has raped a young maiden.
(c) He is a companion of Sansfoy and is avenging his death.
(d) He is in love with Una and is fighting for her hand.
2. Who does Cymoent ask for help in avenging her son's death?
(c) Tryphon, ruler of the ocean.
(d) The Red Cross Knight.
3. What does the fisherman do when he wakes up to see Florimell in his boat?
(a) He tries to rape her on a pile of fish.
(b) He gets angry at her for taking his boat out to sea.
(c) He doesn't even notice her because he is blind.
(d) He takes pity on her for her plight and promises to help her.
4. How does Arthur bribe his way into the castle?
(a) He promises to protect them against all enemies.
(b) He offers to tell secrets of their enemies that would weaken their defenses.
(c) He uses the giants head which he cut off.
(d) He threatens to cast spells that Merlin taught him.
5. Why is Belphoebe in the woods instead of at court?
(a) She is hiding from someone.
(b) She was abandoned there by her parents.
(c) She prefers wild places to the softness of the court.
(d) She got lost on her journey and is trying to find her way home.
6. What was Aemylia doing when she was captured by The Hairy Carl?
(a) Running from a group of lusty men.
(b) Looking for berries.
(c) Meeting her lover in the woods for a tryst.
(d) Following a ray of light that led her to the woods and then disappeared.
7. What is Guyon's mission?
(a) To gather an army to help fight in the ranks of the Faerie Queene's army.
(b) He is to defeat the evil witch Acrasia.
(c) To find the House of Holiness and cure his weaknesses.
(d) To avenge the death of his parents.
8. Why is Amoret so uncomfortable about traveling with Britomart?
(a) She is afraid that Britomart will ask for information that she has promised to tell no one.
(b) She fears for her virtue because she does not know that Britomart is a woman.
(c) She feels so indebted, but has no way to repay her.
(d) She is afraid that Sir Scudamore, her husband, will be unhappy.
9. How did Braggadochio come across his horse?
(a) He stole it from Guyon.
(b) Belphoebe gave it to him as a reward for finding her.
(c) He found it wandering in the woods.
(d) He inherited it from his uncle.
10. Why does Britomart allow Busirane to live after he tried to kill her and her sister?
(a) She wants him to train her in the art of sorcery.
(b) She is in love with him.
(c) She needs him alive to heal Amoret.
(d) She wants to leave him where someone else will kill him so that his blood is not on her hands.
11. What are the messages that Britomart finds in the two chambers?
(a) Be Wise and Be Not Too Wise
(b) Be Bold and Be Not Too Bold.
(c) Be Great and Be Not Too Great.
(d) Be Afraid and Be Not Too Afraid.
12. How does Sansjoy recover after he loses his duel with the Red Cross Knight?
(a) He and Duessa convince a physician in the underworld to bring him back to life.
(b) He escapes to the Bower of Bliss, where he heals over time.
(c) Archimago saves him after Sansjoy agrees to help him destroy Una.
(d) Duessa gives her life in exchange for Sansjoy's.
13. Why does Pyrochles fight Guymon?
(a) Pyrochles is really Archimago in disguise.
(b) He is angry that Guyon allowed Furor and Occasion to live.
(c) He is upset that Guyon tied up Occasion and kept him from having a good fight.
(d) Guyon defends Phedon, and this angers Pyrochles.
14. Arthur finds a book in the castle that is of great interest to him. What is it about?
(a) The history of Britain.
(b) A book of spells and potions.
(c) His future.
(d) Some tales of great explorers.
15. What is The Squire's unique quest that he has been sent on by his beloved Columbell?
(a) He needs to acquire the mane hair of 300 horses.
(b) He has to defeat 300 knights in battle.
(c) He has to defeat 300 monsters.
(d) He is to find 300 women who will refuse him and his love advances.
Short Answer Questions
1. What leads Belphoebe back to Timias?
2. What unlikely protector does Una find?
3. How did Triamond survive his battle with Campbell?
4. What did Britomart see in the magic mirror that Merlin showed her?
5. What causes Malecasta to faint?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)