|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Phedon kill his best friend and his betrothed?
(a) Claribel and Philemon tried to kill him.
(b) His best friend had killed his brother in a duel that his fiancee arranged.
(c) He killed them by mistake thinking they were his enemies.
(d) Philemon tricked Phedon into thinking that Claribell had been unfaithful.
2. How does Arthur finally defeat Maleger after he revives himself from death numerous times?
(a) He hold him in the air as he dies so that the earth from which he was made will not restore him.
(b) He tells his army that he is planning to kill them and they help to kill him.
(c) He chops off his head and then burns it so that his degenerative powers can't take hold.
(d) He uses a spell he found in a book that makes him a mere mortal.
3. What does the Dwarf find in the basement of The House of Pride?
(a) The bodies of those who would not leave because they had been overcome with pride.
(b) Mountains of gold and precious stones.
(c) Una trapped in a dungeon.
(d) An armory full of weapons of war and destruction.
4. Why do Britomart and Artegall part after finally finding each other?
(a) They feel that a marriage so soon would be fool hardy.
(b) Artegall must finish his quest, and Britomart pledges to help Scudamore find Amoret.
(c) They want time to collect money and plan for the festivities of their nuptials.
(d) Neither one of them want to quit their line of duty, so they decide to deny their true feelings.
5. Who does Britomart defeat without recognizing?
(d) The Red Cross Knight.
6. Why was Florimell seen fleeing through the woods?
(a) She was grieved at hearing of the death of her beloved knight.
(b) She was trying to catch some men that had stolen precious jewels from her.
(c) She was trying to find someone to help her combat evil men who had attacked her father.
(d) She was being chased by lusty sorcerers.
7. What did Britomart see in the magic mirror that Merlin showed her?
(a) Her true love.
(b) Her future as a great knight.
(c) Her kingdom being destroyed, and the way to avoid that awful fate.
(d) Her past.
8. What does Blandamour suggest the prize for the loser should be in his proposed duel with Braggadochio?
(b) A week of servitude.
(d) The broken spear.
9. What does the fisherman do when he wakes up to see Florimell in his boat?
(a) He gets angry at her for taking his boat out to sea.
(b) He takes pity on her for her plight and promises to help her.
(c) He doesn't even notice her because he is blind.
(d) He tries to rape her on a pile of fish.
10. What causes Una to faint numerous times?
(a) She comes across Sansloy and fears for her virtue.
(b) She is told that The Red Cross Knight has been killed by Duessa.
(c) Archimago appears to her disguised as Error, and she faints in fear.
(d) She hears news from The Dwarf that The Red Cross Knight is alive, but captured by a great giant.
11. Who took Belphoebe from her sleeping mother's side and raised her?
(c) The Goddess Venus.
(d) The Goddess Diana.
12. How does The Red Cross Knight rise to battle with the dragon a second day after being tossed aside wounded and almost lifeless after the first long day of battle?
(a) Una brings a member of the House of Holiness to help heal him.
(b) He was only pretending to be lifeless so that the dragon would wear himself out in the battle and reveal his weaknesses.
(c) He lands in the Well of Life, which heals his wounds and gives him more power.
(d) He is strengthened by a dream in which the Faerie Queene shows him the way to victory.
13. Who is almost killed while trying to help defeat Orgolio?
(a) The Red Cross Knight.
(b) The Dwarf.
14. Why does Alma, the virgin ruler of the castle, welcome Arthur and Guyon so warmly?
(a) She knows that they took part in defeating Pyrochles and Cymochles.
(b) She is Archimago in disguise.
(c) She is a servant of Acrasia and wants to poison them at banquet.
(d) They disbanded the group of ruffians who were attacking the castle.
15. Why is Furor beating the young man?
(a) The young man stole his horse.
(b) He is trying to get information out of him.
(c) Occasion, his mother, told him to.
(d) He has mistaken the young man for someone else who disrespected him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Britomart allow Busirane to live after he tried to kill her and her sister?
2. What protects Guyon and the Palmer from the horde of beasts that guard Acrasia's abode?
3. Who kills Pyrochles and Cymochles while Guyon is sleeping?
4. Who does Una come across in her distress that gives her hope?
5. Where does Phaedra take Guymon and Cymochles with her ferry?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)