|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Britomart allow Busirane to live after he tried to kill her and her sister?
(a) She needs him alive to heal Amoret.
(b) She wants him to train her in the art of sorcery.
(c) She wants to leave him where someone else will kill him so that his blood is not on her hands.
(d) She is in love with him.
2. What does the witch do to calm his son down after Florimell runs away?
(a) She finds another woman for him to woo.
(b) She puts a sleeping spell on him to calm him down.
(c) She lends him a magical horse and sends him on a quest to find her.
(d) She makes a fake magical Florimell with her sorcery.
3. How is Orgoglio finally defeated?
(a) The Red Cross Knight pretends to be dead, and then vanquishes Orgoglio when he turns away in vain triumph.
(b) Sansloy defeats him thinking that it might be Archimago in disguise.
(c) Duessa betrays him and stabs him from behind.
(d) Arthur reveals an extremely bright shield and conquers him.
4. What gets in the way of the engagement between The Red Cross Knight and Una?
(a) The Red Cross Knight decided to live a life of celibacy and join the House of Holiness that helped him overcome his weaknesses.
(b) It is revealed that he has already pledged his hand to Druessa while she was pretending to be Fidessa.
(c) Una refuses his hand and declares her love for Arthur.
(d) Una's parents object to the match because of his lowly birth.
5. Why did Phedon kill his best friend and his betrothed?
(a) Philemon tricked Phedon into thinking that Claribell had been unfaithful.
(b) Claribel and Philemon tried to kill him.
(c) He killed them by mistake thinking they were his enemies.
(d) His best friend had killed his brother in a duel that his fiancee arranged.
6. What is significant about the three upper rooms of the castle?
(a) They hold ancient and powerful relics.
(b) They are the prison cells of three powerful sorcerers.
(c) They are where decisions are made.
(d) They are the bedrooms of three sister queens.
7. What does Error vomit up as a defense against The Red Cross Knight's attack?
(a) Moldy books and papers.
(b) Skin-searing acid.
(c) Knives and swords.
8. What causes Una to run away alone once again?
(a) Archimago leads her away while disguised as another of the gentle forest people.
(b) She hears that The Red Cross Knight is near and runs to find him.
(c) She sees Sansloy and fears that he may attempt to ravish her again.
(d) Her new protector Satyrane is fighting a long and arduous battle with Sansloy.
9. Why does Timias not declare his love for Belphoebe after she heals him of his wounds?
(a) He is sure she is in love with another.
(b) He thinks she is too low for his high standards.
(c) He feels too low for her great standards.
(d) He fears the wrath of her father.
10. How did Braggadochio come across his horse?
(a) Belphoebe gave it to him as a reward for finding her.
(b) He stole it from Guyon.
(c) He found it wandering in the woods.
(d) He inherited it from his uncle.
11. Who does Cymoent ask for help in avenging her son's death?
(a) Tryphon, ruler of the ocean.
(d) The Red Cross Knight.
12. What is The Squire's unique quest that he has been sent on by his beloved Columbell?
(a) He needs to acquire the mane hair of 300 horses.
(b) He has to defeat 300 monsters.
(c) He is to find 300 women who will refuse him and his love advances.
(d) He has to defeat 300 knights in battle.
13. Who wounds Amoret in the woods?
(b) The Hairy Carl.
14. What does the beast do when he fails to capture and kill Florimell after she jumps into the fisherman's boat?
(a) He tears himself apart in shame.
(b) He tries to swim after her and drowns.
(c) He eats her horse.
(d) He goes back to the witch's son and eats him.
15. What is Guyon's mission?
(a) To gather an army to help fight in the ranks of the Faerie Queene's army.
(b) He is to defeat the evil witch Acrasia.
(c) To find the House of Holiness and cure his weaknesses.
(d) To avenge the death of his parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Guyon collapse after being returned to the surface?
2. How does the Red Cross Knight finally defeat the dreaded dragon?
3. What unlikely protector does Una find?
4. Why do Britomart and Artegall part after finally finding each other?
5. Why does Alma, the virgin ruler of the castle, welcome Arthur and Guyon so warmly?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)