|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Martinell refuse passage to Britomart on the beach?
(a) He has been commanded to stop all passersby at all costs.
(b) His mother told him that one day he would be killed by a strange virgin woman.
(c) He is Archimago in disguise.
(d) He wants her to make love to him before letting her by.
2. Who is the first person to ever defeat Guyon in a fight?
(d) The Red Cross Knight.
3. Who protects Guyon from his enemies while he is unconscious?
(a) An Angel and the Palmer.
(c) The Red Cross Knight.
4. In what mysterious way was Belphoebe's mother impregnated with her and her twin sister?
(a) By the mischieveous Cupid.
(b) Through prayers and a deep desire for a baby.
(c) Nobody knows. This is something Belphoebe is searching to find out.
(d) By the sun's rays while sleeping by the water.
5. Why does Alma, the virgin ruler of the castle, welcome Arthur and Guyon so warmly?
(a) She is a servant of Acrasia and wants to poison them at banquet.
(b) They disbanded the group of ruffians who were attacking the castle.
(c) She is Archimago in disguise.
(d) She knows that they took part in defeating Pyrochles and Cymochles.
6. What is significant about the three upper rooms of the castle?
(a) They hold ancient and powerful relics.
(b) They are the prison cells of three powerful sorcerers.
(c) They are the bedrooms of three sister queens.
(d) They are where decisions are made.
7. Why does Timias retreat to the woods as a hermit?
(a) He is ashamed of not defeating The Hairy Carl.
(b) He has been rejected in love and no logner wants to live.
(c) He prefers the simplicity of life away from civilization.
(d) He is distraught over Belphoebe's ill-founded bad opinion of him.
8. How is Orgoglio finally defeated?
(a) Sansloy defeats him thinking that it might be Archimago in disguise.
(b) The Red Cross Knight pretends to be dead, and then vanquishes Orgoglio when he turns away in vain triumph.
(c) Duessa betrays him and stabs him from behind.
(d) Arthur reveals an extremely bright shield and conquers him.
9. Why does Mammon return Guyon to the surface?
(a) Guyon did not submit to any of the temptations offered him.
(b) Guyon was disrespectful to Mammon's daughter.
(c) Mammon grows to like Guyon too much to tempt him and enslave him.
(d) Guyon offended him.
10. Who is the messenger who delivers the engagement-breaking news?
(a) Archimago in disguise.
(c) The Dwarf.
11. Why did Phedon kill his best friend and his betrothed?
(a) Philemon tricked Phedon into thinking that Claribell had been unfaithful.
(b) He killed them by mistake thinking they were his enemies.
(c) Claribel and Philemon tried to kill him.
(d) His best friend had killed his brother in a duel that his fiancee arranged.
12. Why won't the blood on the baby's hands wash off?
(a) The fountain they are at is really a transformed nymph and the water there cannot be made impure.
(b) The blood is a sign of the baby's part in his mother's death.
(c) Before killing herself, the mother prayed that her blodd may remain on her baby's hands that he might remember her always.
(d) The baby was cursed at birth.
13. Who is the brother of Pyrochles?
(a) The King of the Land.
(b) The lover of Acrasia.
(c) The father of Furor.
(d) The brother of Archimago.
14. Who wounds Amoret in the woods?
(a) The Hairy Carl.
15. Why is Sir Scudamore so happy when Artegall cracks Britomart's helmet in battle?
(a) He sees for the first time that she is a woman.
(b) He hates Britomart and wants her to lose.
(c) He sees her beauty and falls in love with her.
(d) It proves that she is not unbeatable.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Belphoebe in the woods instead of at court?
2. Who is almost killed while trying to help defeat Orgolio?
3. What is Una leading along with her on this journey?
4. What does the fisherman do when he wakes up to see Florimell in his boat?
5. How did Braggadochio come across his horse?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)