|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Furor beating the young man?
(a) The young man stole his horse.
(b) Occasion, his mother, told him to.
(c) He is trying to get information out of him.
(d) He has mistaken the young man for someone else who disrespected him.
2. How does the Red Cross Knight finally defeat the dreaded dragon?
(a) He stabs it through the throat after being swallowed.
(b) He gouges out his eyes and is then able to stab the heart while it is blinded.
(c) He puts a curse on the dragon that Arthur taught him.
(d) He creeps up on it during the night while he is sleeping.
3. How does The Red Cross Knight rise to battle with the dragon a second day after being tossed aside wounded and almost lifeless after the first long day of battle?
(a) He lands in the Well of Life, which heals his wounds and gives him more power.
(b) He is strengthened by a dream in which the Faerie Queene shows him the way to victory.
(c) Una brings a member of the House of Holiness to help heal him.
(d) He was only pretending to be lifeless so that the dragon would wear himself out in the battle and reveal his weaknesses.
4. What causes Malecasta to faint?
(a) Finding that her beloved knight, Britomart, is a woman.
(b) Seeing four of her six knights hewn down by The Red Cross Knight.
(c) Hearing that The Red Cross Knight will not take pleasure in her because of his love for Una.
(d) Seeing The Red Cross Knight and Britomart together.
5. How did Braggadochio come across his horse?
(a) He stole it from Guyon.
(b) He found it wandering in the woods.
(c) He inherited it from his uncle.
(d) Belphoebe gave it to him as a reward for finding her.
6. What does Error vomit up as a defense against The Red Cross Knight's attack?
(a) Knives and swords.
(c) Skin-searing acid.
(d) Moldy books and papers.
7. What causes Una to run away alone once again?
(a) She hears that The Red Cross Knight is near and runs to find him.
(b) She sees Sansloy and fears that he may attempt to ravish her again.
(c) Her new protector Satyrane is fighting a long and arduous battle with Sansloy.
(d) Archimago leads her away while disguised as another of the gentle forest people.
8. What does the witch do to calm his son down after Florimell runs away?
(a) She lends him a magical horse and sends him on a quest to find her.
(b) She makes a fake magical Florimell with her sorcery.
(c) She puts a sleeping spell on him to calm him down.
(d) She finds another woman for him to woo.
9. Why did Canacee give Cambell a magic ring?
(a) To cause him to lose so that she could marry Triamond.
(b) To protect him during the tournament and keep herself from getting married.
(c) To save his life and make him king.
(d) To confuse his wits and have him make her queen.
10. What are the messages that Britomart finds in the two chambers?
(a) Be Afraid and Be Not Too Afraid.
(b) Be Bold and Be Not Too Bold.
(c) Be Wise and Be Not Too Wise
(d) Be Great and Be Not Too Great.
11. Why does Sansjoy challenge The Red Cross Knight to a duel?
(a) He wants to avenge the hurts he caused Una.
(b) He hates any righteous person and wants to stamp out the faith of the Knight.
(c) The Red Cross Knight killed his brother.
(d) He is in love with the Knight's new traveling companion, Duessa.
12. Who protects Guyon from his enemies while he is unconscious?
(b) The Red Cross Knight.
(d) An Angel and the Palmer.
13. What is significant about the three upper rooms of the castle?
(a) They hold ancient and powerful relics.
(b) They are the prison cells of three powerful sorcerers.
(c) They are where decisions are made.
(d) They are the bedrooms of three sister queens.
14. What protects Guyon and the Palmer from the horde of beasts that guard Acrasia's abode?
(a) Fervent prayers.
(b) Guyon's sword.
(d) The Palmer's staff.
15. Why is Amoret so uncomfortable about traveling with Britomart?
(a) She is afraid that Britomart will ask for information that she has promised to tell no one.
(b) She feels so indebted, but has no way to repay her.
(c) She is afraid that Sir Scudamore, her husband, will be unhappy.
(d) She fears for her virtue because she does not know that Britomart is a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Arthur in love with?
2. How did Triamond survive his battle with Campbell?
3. Why does Malbecco refuse to let the knights into his castle and make them sleep in the pig shed on the first night?
4. Arthur finds a book in the castle that is of great interest to him. What is it about?
5. How does Sansjoy recover after he loses his duel with the Red Cross Knight?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)