|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes on the scene as Paridell's new love interest?
(b) Archimago in disguise.
2. Who is the victor of the tournament?
(a) Archimago in disguise.
(c) The Red Cross Knight.
3. How does Arthur finally defeat Maleger after he revives himself from death numerous times?
(a) He chops off his head and then burns it so that his degenerative powers can't take hold.
(b) He hold him in the air as he dies so that the earth from which he was made will not restore him.
(c) He tells his army that he is planning to kill them and they help to kill him.
(d) He uses a spell he found in a book that makes him a mere mortal.
4. Why does Sansjoy challenge The Red Cross Knight to a duel?
(a) He wants to avenge the hurts he caused Una.
(b) The Red Cross Knight killed his brother.
(c) He hates any righteous person and wants to stamp out the faith of the Knight.
(d) He is in love with the Knight's new traveling companion, Duessa.
5. Why did Britomart become a knight?
(a) Her father wanted her to be a boy, so raised her as one.
(b) Her mother had seen a vision of her child bearing a spear and Britomart was her only child, so she had to fulfill it.
(c) She preferred learnign to fight to the softer ways of women.
(d) She was forced to learn to fight because of the lack of able-bodied men in her kingdom.
6. How does Lucifera welcome Duessa and The Red Cross Knight as they approach The House of Pride?
(a) She locks them up in a dungeon because she suspects foul play.
(b) She puts on a parade of her six trusted advisors.
(c) She showers them with gifts in an effort to keep him from fulfilling the duty he was sent out to accomplish.
(d) She prepares a glorious feast.
7. What does Maleger ride as he comes to attack the castle?
(a) A lion.
(b) A great stallion.
(c) A tiger.
(d) A donkey.
8. What causes Una to faint numerous times?
(a) She comes across Sansloy and fears for her virtue.
(b) She hears news from The Dwarf that The Red Cross Knight is alive, but captured by a great giant.
(c) She is told that The Red Cross Knight has been killed by Duessa.
(d) Archimago appears to her disguised as Error, and she faints in fear.
9. Why does Martinell refuse passage to Britomart on the beach?
(a) He has been commanded to stop all passersby at all costs.
(b) He is Archimago in disguise.
(c) He wants her to make love to him before letting her by.
(d) His mother told him that one day he would be killed by a strange virgin woman.
10. What does the fisherman do when he wakes up to see Florimell in his boat?
(a) He doesn't even notice her because he is blind.
(b) He gets angry at her for taking his boat out to sea.
(c) He tries to rape her on a pile of fish.
(d) He takes pity on her for her plight and promises to help her.
11. Who is the only woman who can wear the girdle of Florimell?
(d) The Snowy Florimell.
12. What gives The Red Cross Knight the courage he needs to slay Error when he is almost defeated?
(a) He hears Una call to him to have faith.
(b) Error's children help him destroy her.
(c) He calls upon God to give him strength.
(d) He remembers the words of Gloriana the Faerie Queene and they give him the courage he needs.
13. Why does Pyrochles fight Guymon?
(a) Pyrochles is really Archimago in disguise.
(b) Guyon defends Phedon, and this angers Pyrochles.
(c) He is angry that Guyon allowed Furor and Occasion to live.
(d) He is upset that Guyon tied up Occasion and kept him from having a good fight.
14. What surprise is revealed to Poeana?
(a) Her father forced her lover to be with her.
(b) She is secretly being held hostage by her father.
(c) She has magical powers.
(d) She has had two lovers who look alike.
15. Who does Britomart defeat without recognizing?
(b) The Red Cross Knight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening when Britomart finds Amoret?
2. What happens to Malbecco after being rejected by Hellenore after he finds her in the forest with the Satyrs.
3. How does Sansjoy recover after he loses his duel with the Red Cross Knight?
4. How did Triamond survive his battle with Campbell?
5. Why is Sir Scudamore so happy when Artegall cracks Britomart's helmet in battle?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)