|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Canacee give Cambell a magic ring?
(a) To confuse his wits and have him make her queen.
(b) To protect him during the tournament and keep herself from getting married.
(c) To save his life and make him king.
(d) To cause him to lose so that she could marry Triamond.
2. What happens to Malbecco after being rejected by Hellenore after he finds her in the forest with the Satyrs.
(a) He joins the band of Satyrs hoping to one day win back the affections of Hellenore.
(b) He finds a Satyr that he falls in love with and takes her away from the forest instead.
(c) He curses her to never bear children because of her unfaithfulness.
(d) He returns to his buried treasure to find it gone and slinks away to live out his days in a cave as Jealousy.
3. Who does Cymoent ask for help in avenging her son's death?
(a) The Red Cross Knight.
(c) Tryphon, ruler of the ocean.
4. What gives The Red Cross Knight the courage he needs to slay Error when he is almost defeated?
(a) He remembers the words of Gloriana the Faerie Queene and they give him the courage he needs.
(b) Error's children help him destroy her.
(c) He calls upon God to give him strength.
(d) He hears Una call to him to have faith.
5. What stops Guyon from killing The Red Cross Knight?
(a) He decides to let the Red Cross Knight live as his slave instead.
(b) He hears a voice tell him to not harm The Red Cross Knight.
(c) He cannot bring himself to strike to Red Cross.
(d) The Red Cross Knight is a better fighter and defends himself well.
6. What leads Belphoebe back to Timias?
(a) A hawk.
(b) A voice in her dreams telling her where to go.
(c) A turtle dove.
(d) A stag.
7. What protects Guyon and the Palmer from the horde of beasts that guard Acrasia's abode?
(b) Guyon's sword.
(c) Fervent prayers.
(d) The Palmer's staff.
8. What are the messages that Britomart finds in the two chambers?
(a) Be Bold and Be Not Too Bold.
(b) Be Great and Be Not Too Great.
(c) Be Wise and Be Not Too Wise
(d) Be Afraid and Be Not Too Afraid.
9. What is significant about the three upper rooms of the castle?
(a) They hold ancient and powerful relics.
(b) They are where decisions are made.
(c) They are the prison cells of three powerful sorcerers.
(d) They are the bedrooms of three sister queens.
10. Who is the messenger who delivers the engagement-breaking news?
(a) Archimago in disguise.
(b) The Dwarf.
11. Why does Hellenore set fire to her husband's treasures?
(a) She is jealous that Malbecco loves the treasure more than her.
(b) She is trying to get Malbecco to send her away in anger so that she can be with her true love.
(c) She was told in a dream that setting it on fire would multiply it.
(d) So that she and Paridell can have more time to run away together while he puts out the fire.
12. Why do Britomart and Artegall part after finally finding each other?
(a) Artegall must finish his quest, and Britomart pledges to help Scudamore find Amoret.
(b) Neither one of them want to quit their line of duty, so they decide to deny their true feelings.
(c) They feel that a marriage so soon would be fool hardy.
(d) They want time to collect money and plan for the festivities of their nuptials.
13. What does the Dwarf find in the basement of The House of Pride?
(a) Una trapped in a dungeon.
(b) The bodies of those who would not leave because they had been overcome with pride.
(c) Mountains of gold and precious stones.
(d) An armory full of weapons of war and destruction.
14. Why is Sir Scudamore so happy when Artegall cracks Britomart's helmet in battle?
(a) He sees her beauty and falls in love with her.
(b) It proves that she is not unbeatable.
(c) He sees for the first time that she is a woman.
(d) He hates Britomart and wants her to lose.
15. What did Britomart see in the magic mirror that Merlin showed her?
(a) Her future as a great knight.
(b) Her true love.
(c) Her past.
(d) Her kingdom being destroyed, and the way to avoid that awful fate.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Acrasia captured?
2. Why does Cymochles fight Guymon?
3. Why does Malbecco finally let the knights in?
4. Why does Martinell refuse passage to Britomart on the beach?
5. Why does Guyon collapse after being returned to the surface?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)