|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the messages that Britomart finds in the two chambers?
(a) Be Afraid and Be Not Too Afraid.
(b) Be Bold and Be Not Too Bold.
(c) Be Wise and Be Not Too Wise
(d) Be Great and Be Not Too Great.
2. How is Acrasia captured?
(a) Arthur casts a spell over everyone in her household.
(b) Fearing for his own life, her lover helps Guyon and the Palmer to tie her up while she is sleeping.
(c) Guyon and the Palmer throw a net over her while she is in bed with her lover.
(d) Guyon and the Palmer set her horde of beasts on her.
3. Why does Malbecco finally let the knights in?
(a) They show him the many gifts they have rought for his wife.
(b) His wife convinces him to let them in.
(c) With the help of Britomart, they burn down his front gates.
(d) They promise to protect him and his family from all enemies while they are there.
4. Who comes on the scene as Paridell's new love interest?
(d) Archimago in disguise.
5. Who is the victor of the tournament?
(a) Archimago in disguise.
(b) The Red Cross Knight.
6. Why does Malbecco refuse to let the knights into his castle and make them sleep in the pig shed on the first night?
(a) He does not like to let his wife meet new people.
(b) He fears that they may hurt him and his family.
(c) He was told in a dream that a group of knights would try to kill his wife.
(d) He hates all knights because his father was killed by an evil knight.
7. What does the witch do to calm his son down after Florimell runs away?
(a) She puts a sleeping spell on him to calm him down.
(b) She lends him a magical horse and sends him on a quest to find her.
(c) She makes a fake magical Florimell with her sorcery.
(d) She finds another woman for him to woo.
8. How did Triamond survive his battle with Campbell?
(a) His brothers gave him their life force.
(b) He was very skilled in dodging Cambell's blows.
(c) He took the magic ring off his finger.
(d) He agreed to marry Canacee if his life was spared.
9. What does the Dwarf find in the basement of The House of Pride?
(a) Una trapped in a dungeon.
(b) Mountains of gold and precious stones.
(c) An armory full of weapons of war and destruction.
(d) The bodies of those who would not leave because they had been overcome with pride.
10. What does Error vomit up as a defense against The Red Cross Knight's attack?
(b) Moldy books and papers.
(c) Knives and swords.
(d) Skin-searing acid.
11. Why is Sir Scudamore so happy when Artegall cracks Britomart's helmet in battle?
(a) He sees her beauty and falls in love with her.
(b) He hates Britomart and wants her to lose.
(c) It proves that she is not unbeatable.
(d) He sees for the first time that she is a woman.
12. How does Arthur bribe his way into the castle?
(a) He offers to tell secrets of their enemies that would weaken their defenses.
(b) He uses the giants head which he cut off.
(c) He threatens to cast spells that Merlin taught him.
(d) He promises to protect them against all enemies.
13. Why is Belphoebe in the woods instead of at court?
(a) She prefers wild places to the softness of the court.
(b) She got lost on her journey and is trying to find her way home.
(c) She is hiding from someone.
(d) She was abandoned there by her parents.
14. What causes Malecasta to faint?
(a) Hearing that The Red Cross Knight will not take pleasure in her because of his love for Una.
(b) Seeing The Red Cross Knight and Britomart together.
(c) Finding that her beloved knight, Britomart, is a woman.
(d) Seeing four of her six knights hewn down by The Red Cross Knight.
15. Why does Mammon return Guyon to the surface?
(a) Guyon offended him.
(b) Mammon grows to like Guyon too much to tempt him and enslave him.
(c) Guyon was disrespectful to Mammon's daughter.
(d) Guyon did not submit to any of the temptations offered him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What protects Guyon and the Palmer from the horde of beasts that guard Acrasia's abode?
2. What did Britomart see in the magic mirror that Merlin showed her?
3. Why does Timias retreat to the woods as a hermit?
4. Why did Britomart become a knight?
5. Why is Furor beating the young man?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)