|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were Filip and others made to stand among the crowd in Chapter 3 holding up letters of the alphabet?
(a) To call each group of prisoners into the crematorium by last name.
(b) To make them believe they would be waiting for the train according to their name.
(c) So the SS would know who each person was according to their name.
(d) To identify the bodies after the gassing.
2. What did the girl, Yana, tell Filip to give to her boyfriend after she was dead?
(a) A ring.
(b) Her gold chain.
(c) A hug goodbye.
(d) Her hair.
3. Who was called the "Angel of Death" by the men in the Sonderkommando?
4. Who did Filip notice in the front rank of the Sonderkommando group he was in at Birkenau?
5. Where did one of Filip's team find a hand grenade?
(a) In the new Birkenau crematoria.
(b) In the pocket of a dead Ukranian SS man.
(c) In Bunker 1.
(d) In an urn at Auschwitz.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the SS leader, Schwarzhuber, tell the Family Camp they would be going a few days before they were led to the crematorium?
2. What did the people who were machine-gunned and gassed in Chapter 3 pay a lot of money to the Gestapo for?
3. Where did the majority of the people in the Family Camp come from?
4. What weaponry had Filip's group acquired as of the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. Why was Roehrig, a block senior, transferred to a penal company?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the rumor that the Family Camp stood under the protection of the International Red Cross dispelled?
2. Why did the SS decide not to shoot the first load of people from the Family Camp who were in the changing room?
3. How did Filip feel his life had changed for the better when he was moved to Birkenau?
4. What was "extermination through labor"?
5. Compare Filip's feelings during his work in the crematorium with his return to the prison camp.
6. What compeled Filip to enter the gas chamber with the others?
7. What led the SS to believe that Kapo Kaminski was thoroughly competent to carry out his duties?
8. Why did the members of the Sonderkommando feel the time had come to convince the other prisoners in the camp to attempt a mass escape in February, 1944?
9. How did Voss decide to deal with the need to have the crematorium ready by 8 am the following morning for the Family Camp?
10. During the execution of a mother and her child, why did Voss' underling take over for him?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)