|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Filip's friend, the last of seven from his hometown of Sered, planning to do at the time he learned of the plan to inform the Family Camp of their impending death?
(a) Bribe an officer.
(b) Organize some gold.
(c) Commit suicide.
2. What did the SS men do as the prisoners from the Family Camp began to sing as they were pushed towards the gas chambers?
(a) Taped their mouths shut.
(b) Began to sing with them.
(c) Continued to beat the prisoners.
(d) Machine-gunned the last few to enter.
3. What did almost every prisoner in the Sonderkommando spend a great deal of time doing?
(c) Beating others.
4. What plan did the Sonderkommandos devise to save themselves?
(a) Build an underground tunnel.
(b) Bribe every SS man that they knew would help them out.
(c) Inform the next Polish transport of their imminent death.
(d) Escape in the middle of the night.
5. Why was Filip sent to Birkenau in October of 1942?
(a) To bring chlorinated lime for the corpses.
(b) To move up in the ranks of his job.
(c) To join the Sonderkommando there.
(d) To help with the burning of corpses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were Filip and others made to stand among the crowd in Chapter 3 holding up letters of the alphabet?
2. What did the people who were machine-gunned and gassed in Chapter 3 pay a lot of money to the Gestapo for?
3. What happened to the Sonderkommando who told a woman in the crowd they were all to be exterminated?
4. What was a Volksdeutscher?
5. Where did one of Filip's team find a hand grenade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Filip watch a captured young mother with her child do when the SS men ordered them to undress in Chapter 3?
2. When Filip was sent to Birkenau to deliver chlorinated lime, he spoke with two grammar school friends who were burning decomposing corpses. Why did the SS men come and separate them?
3. During the execution of a mother and her child, why did Voss' underling take over for him?
4. How is it that Quackernack came to be attacked by the woman with her high heel?
5. What problems did the SS men who accepted bribes organized by prisoners have?
6. Filip considered Dr. Pach to have exemplary qualities of humanity. Why?
7. What put Filip's mind to rest concerning Mietek being a Kapo at Birkenau?
8. What led the SS to believe that Kapo Kaminski was thoroughly competent to carry out his duties?
9. How did Voss decide to deal with the need to have the crematorium ready by 8 am the following morning for the Family Camp?
10. Why did the SS decide not to shoot the first load of people from the Family Camp who were in the changing room?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)