|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was an SS-Oberaufseherin?
(a) First lieutenant.
(b) Platoon sergeant.
(c) Head wardress.
(d) Working team.
2. When one of the Sonderkommandos told a woman he recognized that she was about to be gassed to death, what did she do?
(a) Calmly agreed to spread the word.
(b) Committed suicide.
(c) Disfigured herself with her nails and foamed at the mouth.
(d) Cried silently.
3. What piece of evidence concerning the death camp did Filip obtain for the Resistance?
(a) Women's hair.
(b) Labels from Zyclon B gas tins.
(c) The note about the Family Camp.
(d) Ashes from the ovens.
4. What did almost every prisoner in the Sonderkommando spend a great deal of time doing?
(d) Beating others.
5. What did the people who were machine-gunned and gassed in Chapter 3 pay a lot of money to the Gestapo for?
(a) Imprisonment instead of death.
(b) An escape to Switzerland.
(c) A comfortable train ride to Auschwitz.
(d) Immigration to Paraguay.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Sonderkommando members asked the Resistance in the camp to plan a mass escape, what were they told?
2. What drew Filip near the people of the Family Camp as they were in the changing room?
3. Where did one of Filip's team find a hand grenade?
4. What was Filip's friend, the last of seven from his hometown of Sered, planning to do at the time he learned of the plan to inform the Family Camp of their impending death?
5. What did members of the Family Camp think was happening when, after being warned, there was no violence towards them after a few days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Filip watch a captured young mother with her child do when the SS men ordered them to undress in Chapter 3?
2. Why did the members of the Sonderkommando feel the time had come to convince the other prisoners in the camp to attempt a mass escape in February, 1944?
3. What led the SS to believe that Kapo Kaminski was thoroughly competent to carry out his duties?
4. What were the male prisoners' main motives for wanting to visit the women's camp?
5. Why did the SS decide not to shoot the first load of people from the Family Camp who were in the changing room?
6. Filip considered Dr. Pach to have exemplary qualities of humanity. Why?
7. What is ironic and sad about the scene during which there was a party for Gorges in the crematorium?
8. What compeled Filip to enter the gas chamber with the others?
9. How did Filip and others come to realize that members of Birkenau's Sonderkommando who were taken to Lublin had been murdered?
10. What put Filip's mind to rest concerning Mietek being a Kapo at Birkenau?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)