|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the SS threaten the prisoners of the Family Camp with after a few of them rushed toward the doors and were killed?
(b) Machine guns.
(c) Small-bore rifles.
2. What did the SS men do as the prisoners from the Family Camp began to sing as they were pushed towards the gas chambers?
(a) Machine-gunned the last few to enter.
(b) Began to sing with them.
(c) Taped their mouths shut.
(d) Continued to beat the prisoners.
3. What was a "mussulman"?
(a) The kind of fish the SS men ate at dinner.
(b) A rank of officer.
(c) A prisoner who had lost the will to live.
(d) The prisoners who grew muscular from carrying heavy loads.
4. How did Filip know Alfred Wetzler?
(a) From the crematorium.
(b) From school.
(c) From the Jewish ghetto.
(d) From Auschwitz.
5. What piece of evidence concerning the death camp did Filip obtain for the Resistance?
(a) Labels from Zyclon B gas tins.
(b) Ashes from the ovens.
(c) The note about the Family Camp.
(d) Women's hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the people who attempted to escape the Polish ghettos?
2. How long did Filip live in Block 11 in Auschwitz before being sent to Birkenau?
3. How many Red Army prisoners of war were left alive by January, 1945, out of the 13,000 taken?
4. What did Johann Gorges' nickname, Moische Borak, mean?
5. Why were the people in the Family Camp asked to write letters to family and friends days before their extermination?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the prisoners of the Family Camp so confused as they stood in the crematorium facing certain death?
2. What did Filip watch a captured young mother with her child do when the SS men ordered them to undress in Chapter 3?
3. Why did the SS decide not to shoot the first load of people from the Family Camp who were in the changing room?
4. What led the SS to believe that Kapo Kaminski was thoroughly competent to carry out his duties?
5. How did Filip feel his life had changed for the better when he was moved to Birkenau?
6. What problems did the SS men who accepted bribes organized by prisoners have?
7. What were the male prisoners' main motives for wanting to visit the women's camp?
8. What put Filip's mind to rest concerning Mietek being a Kapo at Birkenau?
9. How was the rumor that the Family Camp stood under the protection of the International Red Cross dispelled?
10. A few radicals in the camp, wanting to strike off on their on in an escape plan, renewed their violent criticism towards the leaders of the Resistance. Why?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)