|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Sonderkommandos have their own hospital?
(a) To treat the men in isolation.
(b) They tended to get sicker than the rest.
(c) They were the elite prisoners.
(d) To show the men some kindness.
2. What was a "mussulman"?
(a) A rank of officer.
(b) The prisoners who grew muscular from carrying heavy loads.
(c) A prisoner who had lost the will to live.
(d) The kind of fish the SS men ate at dinner.
3. What piece of evidence concerning the death camp did Filip obtain for the Resistance?
(a) The note about the Family Camp.
(b) Ashes from the ovens.
(c) Labels from Zyclon B gas tins.
(d) Women's hair.
4. Where did one of Filip's team find a hand grenade?
(a) In the pocket of a dead Ukranian SS man.
(b) In the new Birkenau crematoria.
(c) In an urn at Auschwitz.
(d) In Bunker 1.
5. Who was called the "Angel of Death" by the men in the Sonderkommando?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Serge so angry at Dr. Pach for giving medical treatment to prisoners?
2. Where did the majority of the people in the Family Camp come from?
3. Where was it most difficult for a prisoner to go?
4. While Filip was in the gas chamber, who did he look up to find surrounding him?
5. What happened to the gold teeth pulled from the mouths of those gassed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Filip manage to speak to prisoners awaiting execution?
2. What compeled Filip to enter the gas chamber with the others?
3. How did Filip feel his life had changed for the better when he was moved to Birkenau?
4. Why did the ghetto in Theresienstadt really exist?
5. Compare Filip's feelings during his work in the crematorium with his return to the prison camp.
6. When Filip was sent to Birkenau to deliver chlorinated lime, he spoke with two grammar school friends who were burning decomposing corpses. Why did the SS men come and separate them?
7. What was "extermination through labor"?
8. How was the rumor that the Family Camp stood under the protection of the International Red Cross dispelled?
9. How did Voss decide to deal with the need to have the crematorium ready by 8 am the following morning for the Family Camp?
10. Why did the SS decide not to shoot the first load of people from the Family Camp who were in the changing room?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)