|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were Filip and Maurice taken after being caught at the tea vats?
(a) To the tower with Schlage.
(b) Near the gallows area.
(c) Opposite the blockfuhrer's room.
(d) To Vacek's office.
2. How many blankets did a prisoner in the block receive?
(a) One blanket was shared by two prisoners.
(c) One blanket.
(d) One and an extra if it was very cold.
3. What was compulsory on a Sunday afternoon?
(b) Pledges to the fuhrer.
(c) A rest.
(d) A long hike for exercise.
4. How did prisoners have to do their weekly shaving?
(a) With tiny scissors.
(b) With the edges of cutting knives.
(c) WIthout any water.
(d) With cold water, no soap and blunt razors.
5. What size was the cell that Filip and the others were brought to at the end of their eventful day in Chapter 2?
(a) There was no way to tell.
(b) As large as the crematorium.
(c) Three paces long by three paces wide.
(d) Eight feet by ten feet.
6. What did Filip do to quench his thirst on Sunday afternoon?
(a) Sneak outside with his bunkmate.
(b) Drink the extra bowl of soup he managed to get.
(c) Drink from puddles on the ground.
(d) Steal another prisoner's water.
7. From what point of view is the story told?
(a) First person.
(b) Third person.
(c) Second Person.
8. What was one of Vacek's commands to the lined-up prisoners in the yard of Block 11?
(a) "Forward march!"
(c) "Caps off!"
(d) "Silence now!"
9. What was the inscription on the camp gate?
(a) "Heil Hitler."
(b) "Work liberates."
(c) "Work Is Good For the Soul."
(d) "Camp Auschwitz."
10. How many times had the prisoners already repeated Vacek's same command at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) 120 times.
(b) 100 times.
(d) 30 times.
11. What is the Polish name for the town the Germans called Auschwitz?
12. Why were the SS men so concerned when they saw the bodies in the pit in the daylight?
(a) The bodies were swollen and hard to look at.
(b) The water in the pit was rising and the bodies were not buried.
(c) They didn't think Filip and the others were stong enough to bury the dead.
(d) The bodies were extremely slippery.
13. Who was Vacek's second victim to be pulled out of the ranks?
(a) A man with thick eyeglasses.
(b) A half-blind singer.
(c) A man whose cap did not fit.
(d) A deaf tailor.
14. What was the rank of a Rottenfuhrer?
(a) Lance Corporal.
(b) Sergeant Major.
15. What was Filip ordered to do to the dead bodies in the cremation room?
(a) Check to make sure they were dead.
(b) Haul them into a pile.
(c) Strip them of their clothing.
(d) Bury them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Maurice and Filip do with the crowbars and hammers Stark gave them?
2. Why were the prisoners who were forced to participate in the preparations for the exterminations separated into two groups at first?
3. Who was Fischl?
4. What was the only Polish word that Aumeier learned in order to make himself understood by his victims?
5. What did Filip and the others throw on top of the mountain of bodies in the pit?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)