|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the dead girl that Filip had to undress from his hometown?
(a) Vlasta Sered.
(b) Yasmin Belath.
(c) Yolana Weis.
(d) Yolanda Weiss.
2. What size was the cell that Filip and the others were brought to at the end of their eventful day in Chapter 2?
(a) Three paces long by three paces wide.
(b) There was no way to tell.
(c) Eight feet by ten feet.
(d) As large as the crematorium.
3. Why were the SS men so concerned when they saw the bodies in the pit in the daylight?
(a) The bodies were extremely slippery.
(b) The water in the pit was rising and the bodies were not buried.
(c) The bodies were swollen and hard to look at.
(d) They didn't think Filip and the others were stong enough to bury the dead.
4. What was the name of Filip's bunk mate in Chapter 1?
5. Before the SS men poured the deadly gas crystals into the gas chamber, what did they do?
(a) Told the people inside to lie down.
(b) Put on gas masks.
(c) Turned the hot water on for the showers.
(d) Turned on the truck engines.
6. Why were the prisoners who were forced to participate in the preparations for the exterminations separated into two groups at first?
(a) In case some of them died.
(b) To separate men from women.
(c) To prevent detailed knowledge of the methods being used.
(d) To give them intimate knowledge of the methods being used.
7. What did the author overhear the prisoner next to him saying in Chapter 1?
(a) Prayers to God to save him.
(b) Nonsensical mumbling.
(c) Mumbles of disbelief at the happenings.
(d) Curses at the Germans.
8. What was the job of a block orderly?
(a) Keeping the block clean and tidy.
(b) Keeping prisoners from fighting.
(c) Relaying news to prisoners.
(d) Running messages back and forth.
9. What was the name for a prisoner entrusted with special duties by the SS?
10. Who was Schlage?
(a) A relative of Vacek's.
(b) A Nazi General about to arrive.
(c) An SS officer watching Vacek.
(d) A prisoner who escaped.
11. How long did it take a prisoner's body to burn in the oven?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) One day.
(c) Twenty minutes.
(d) Four hours.
12. What did Filip imagine might be done to him if they tied his hands behind his back?
(a) He would be left in a hole to die.
(b) They would then cut his hands off.
(c) He would then be suspended by his fastened hands.
(d) He would have to perform his work like that.
13. What rank was Hauptsternfuhrer Hans Aumeier?
14. What did Maurice and Filip do with the crowbars and hammers Stark gave them?
(a) Damage the fire-brick lining.
(b) Attack Stark.
(c) Open the gates of the oven.
(d) LIft the corpses.
15. What worried Filip so much about a cut on his pinkie finger?
(b) Stark seeing his wound.
(c) Bleeding to death.
(d) Ptomaine poisoning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was compulsory on a Sunday afternoon?
2. Where were Filip and Maurice taken after being caught at the tea vats?
3. What happened to Filip and the others as they were driven past the town of Auschwitz with the corpses?
4. What did the SS men give Filip and the others before they boarded the truck holding the dead?
5. Who did the SS men believe to be responsible for the fire in the crematorium's chimney?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)