|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the note to the Judge-General, Peter makes it seem as though he is doing what?
(a) Simply asking for special treatment.
(b) Simply asking for an early release.
(c) Simply asking for common courtesies.
(d) Simply asking for additional comforts.
2. What two things does Peter insist in his letter to the Judge-General?
(a) He wants another trial and to see his friends.
(b) He intends to live and he did not kill the king.
(c) He has given up and wants to die soon.
(d) He will do what is necessary to get out and be a good servant to his accuser.
3. How would you describe Roland's wife?
(a) A young woman who has no interest in being queen.
(b) An old and stubborn woman.
(c) A young woman who will make a good queen.
(d) Very unpopular with the people of the kingdom.
4. Peter is glad for the information, but feels that he must do something about the note. What does he do?
(a) He eats it.
(b) He burns it in the fireplace.
(c) He shreds it and throws the pieces out the window.
(d) He carefully hides it in a book.
5. What does the Judge-General do with the note when he receives it?
(a) He puts it in a drawer to read later.
(b) He decides to read it.
(c) He throws it in the fire.
(d) He tears it up and puts it in the fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following themes is not introduced as the story progresses?
2. Which of the following is an ironic twist in this story?
3. Which of the following enjoys spying on the king?
4. What action causes the Judge-General to assume Peter is guilty?
5. What causes the queen's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to thwart Flagg's plan to get away with murder?
2. How is the suspense maintained in this episode involving Peter's escape?
3. Why does it seem atypical that as a prisoner Peter would refuse to eat and just spend his time looking out the window?
4. Why is Ben attacked on his way home from the market and what does he do about it?
5. Why does Thomas find it necessary to drink himself to sleep, and why is this potentially dangerous?
6. Why is it important to the story that there is no snow on the courtyard below where Peter is imprisoned?
7. How do the people of Delain react when Peter is arrested?
8. What does the reader know that Dennis does not know to be the reason there are no rats in the sewer pipe?
9. What happens to the Lesser Warder?
10. What requests does Peter make of Peyna?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)