|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the court magician is asked to identify the murder weapon, he takes great pains to show its strength. What does he do to prove how deadly it is?
(a) He throws it on the floor and a fire immediately erupts.
(b) He shows that it can pierce the thickest armor in less than a second.
(c) He proves that anyone but a magician must handle it with thick gloves and full body armor.
(d) He shows that it can eat through the hardest rock.
2. Peter knows who murdered the king and that there is only one way to prove this. What is it?
(a) He must summon his friends and enlist their help.
(b) He must escape.
(c) He must demand a retrial.
(d) He must wait out his sentence and appeal to the people.
3. How does the author add to the suspense about Peter's plans?
(a) He has the character make up several sets of plans.
(b) He does not tell the reader what things the prisoner demands.
(c) He reveals everything the prisoner is thinking.
(d) He tells the reader only a little of what the prisoner is up to.
4. Peter is glad for the information, but feels that he must do something about the note. What does he do?
(a) He burns it in the fireplace.
(b) He carefully hides it in a book.
(c) He eats it.
(d) He shreds it and throws the pieces out the window.
5. What happens when Peter tells his father about the incident with the horse?
(a) He is made king.
(b) He is made head groomsman.
(c) He is punished.
(d) He is rewarded.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thomas react after the coronation?
2. When a group of men recognize Peter's long-time friend, what happens?
3. Who becomes Peter's best friend?
4. What literary technique is used to reveal what happens when the evidence is found?
5. Thomas becomes gravely ill and awakens to learn what about himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Flagg's plans for Delain?
2. Why does it seem atypical that as a prisoner Peter would refuse to eat and just spend his time looking out the window?
3. What requests does Peter make of Peyna?
4. Who is more popular with the people, Roland or Sasha? Why?
5. What is most important to Sasha about Peter's upbringing?
6. Why does Peyna finally agree to see Beson and to read Peter's note?
7. Who is ultimately responsible for Sasha's death, and how does it come about?
8. How does Flagg frame Peter for the murder of Roland?
9. What are some of the different roles Flagg has played?
10. What does Thomas do to attempt to win his father's favor?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)