Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day do Derfel and his men put their armor on?
2. How does Derfel describe the day that the attack on the Saxons was begun?
3. What kind of man is Powys?
4. What is the official religion of Britain at the time of this book?
5. What are the Saxon armies preparing to do when they are attacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Derfel realize when he sees Arthur with his son?
2. What does Nimue use to cast her spells on people?
3. What breaks the peace in Briton after the defeat of the Saxons?
4. What are the main reasons that Mordred planned his attack against Arthur?
5. What does Nimue do when Excalibur is gone?
6. What special assignment is Derfel given when the plans for the Saxon invasion are discussed?
7. What causes the forces of Nimue and Mordred to break up?
8. What does Morgan do to find a cure for Ceinwyn?
9. What are some of Taliesin's talents?
10. What is the price to Arthur for the alliance with Gwent?
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice is a theme that is prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Arthur endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
What is Derfel's actual birthright, and what does this reveal about his character and his relationship to Arthur?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)