|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows Derfel the Temple of Mithras?
2. Who is the narrator of this book?
3. Who is at Aelle when Derfel gets there?
4. What kind of man is Powys?
5. Which direction does Derfel travel in after the Saxon attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one thing Arthur does NOT do while he is fighting with Derfel against the Saxons?
2. What happens as Derfel and his men prepare to die in battle against the Saxon armies?
3. What are some of the beacon fires initially confused for?
4. How does Derfel choose to kill Lancelot, and why?
5. What disappoints Derfel when he arrives at the Aelle's hall?
6. Why does Arthur send Derfel to confer with Aelle, and how does Derfel feel about this?
7. What does Aelle do before Derfel leaves his castle after delivering the message from Arthur?
8. What trade does Arthur start learning after the battle against the Saxons is won?
9. What was the mortal wound Arthur receives?
10. Why is little background information given at the beginning of this book?
Essay Topic 1
Merlin and his Druid followers present a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What is this philosophy, and how does this different idealism affect the people around him?
Essay Topic 2
How does Derfel lose his hand, and how does this affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Arthur and Derfel are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences.Write a compare/contrast essay, citing the text for support, about these two characters.
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)