|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Derfel having a conversation with as he writes this book?
2. Who is the narrator of this book?
3. Who shows Derfel the Temple of Mithras?
4. What has Arthur broken up when the battle is won?
5. What is the leader of the third group of men in support of Derfel against the Saxons riding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Derfel and the other Warlords accept the invitation to the spring feast?
2. What surprising news about Arthur does Derfel learn when he comes back from the Saxon king?
3. What is the message Arthur has Derfel send to Guinevere?
4. What happens as Derfel and his men pass an old Roman city on their way to Corinium?
5. What does the Saxon army do when they have Derfel and his men trapped?
6. What is the one thing Arthur does NOT do while he is fighting with Derfel against the Saxons?
7. How does Arthur find his son at the temple of Mithras?
8. What does Argante do at the Feast of Imbolc?
9. What warning did Bors give Derfel, and how did this affect the fight?
10. What happens when Madroc is rescued from the sacrifice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author feels it is so important?
Essay Topic 3
Arthur and Derfel are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences.Write a compare/contrast essay, citing the text for support, about these two characters.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)