|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the naked woman in Domnoia carrying?
2. What does the King give Derfel before he leaves?
3. Why does Arthur not believe in any gods?
4. Who comes up with the idea that breaks the shield line of the Saxons when Derfel and his men are trapped?
5. Who has allied with Aelle in attacking Arthur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is done to keep at bay the first wave of attack from the Saxons on Derfel's trapped men?
2. What happens as Derfel and his men pass an old Roman city on their way to Corinium?
3. Who are Guinevere's jailers?
4. Why does Arthur get upset with Derfel while at the temple of Mithras?
5. What does Arthur ask Derfel to do during the winter following the sacrificial ritual?
6. What is Arthur's initial plan of attack against the Saxons?
7. What does the Saxon army do when they have Derfel and his men trapped?
8. What does Derfel realize when he sees Arthur with his son?
9. Why does Arthur send Derfel to confer with Aelle, and how does Derfel feel about this?
10. What surprising news about Arthur does Derfel learn when he comes back from the Saxon king?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice is a theme that is prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Merlin and his Druid followers present a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What is this philosophy, and how does this different idealism affect the people around him?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)