|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season do the Britons begin their attack on the Saxons?
2. What makes Derfel think Merlin can talk to the gods?
3. Where are the Saxon armies camped out when Arthur plans to attack them?
4. What is slaughtered at the important spring feast ritual?
5. What surprising thing does Derfel do at the end of this fight in the Saxon Hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Derfel and his men pass an old Roman city on their way to Corinium?
2. What is done to keep at bay the first wave of attack from the Saxons on Derfel's trapped men?
3. What does Aelle do before Derfel leaves his castle after delivering the message from Arthur?
4. Who are Guinevere's jailers?
5. How does Arthur find his son at the temple of Mithras?
6. How does Arthur form his plan of attack on the Saxon armies?
7. What does Derfel have planted while he is trapped by the Saxon army, and what does this show?
8. What is Arthur's initial plan of attack against the Saxons?
9. Why is little background information given at the beginning of this book?
10. What does Aelle say after Derfel has defeated the Saxon warrior in the court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor is something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who is most affected by this pursuit, and how doesd it change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Arthur and Derfel are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences.Write a compare/contrast essay, citing the text for support, about these two characters.
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)