|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Derfel have to fight before conferring with the Saxon king?
2. Who comes up with the idea that breaks the shield line of the Saxons when Derfel and his men are trapped?
3. Who does Derfel send a message to when he is trapped by the Saxon armies?
4. What important feast happens in the spring?
5. How does Arthur respond to the request for Excalibur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the beacon fires initially confused for?
2. Why is Ceinwyn sick, and how is Derfel supposed to cure her?
3. What does Derfel realize when he hears Druids sacrifice the sons of kings?
4. Why does Arthur get upset with Derfel while at the temple of Mithras?
5. What does Arthur ask Derfel to do during the winter following the sacrificial ritual?
6. What does Aelle say after Derfel has defeated the Saxon warrior in the court?
7. What does Morgan do to find a cure for Ceinwyn?
8. What does Nimue use to cast her spells on people?
9. Why do Derfel and the other Warlords accept the invitation to the spring feast?
10. What surprising news about Arthur does Derfel learn when he comes back from the Saxon king?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity is one of the main themes in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Honor is something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who is most affected by this pursuit, and how doesd it change the course of the plot?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)