|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warns Derfel of the advance of the Saxon army?
2. Who is the third set of men to aid Derfel and his army against the Saxons?
3. What is the official religion of Britain at the time of this book?
4. Who does Derfel take with him when he evacuates after the Saxon attack?
5. Where does Derfel give his message to the king?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Argante do at the Feast of Imbolc?
2. Why is little background information given at the beginning of this book?
3. What does Derfel realize when he sees Arthur with his son?
4. What surprising news about Arthur does Derfel learn when he comes back from the Saxon king?
5. How does Arthur find his son at the temple of Mithras?
6. What is the first thing Derfel does when he realizes that he and his men are trapped in the earthen fortress?
7. What is the price to Arthur for the alliance with Gwent?
8. What disappoints Derfel when he arrives at the Aelle's hall?
9. What does Merlin do after Arthur puts an end to the ritual on Mai Dun?
10. What are some of the beacon fires initially confused for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arthur and Derfel are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences.Write a compare/contrast essay, citing the text for support, about these two characters.
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity is one of the main themes in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Merlin and his Druid followers present a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What is this philosophy, and how does this different idealism affect the people around him?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)