|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What breaks the shield line of the Saxons when Derfel and his men are trapped?
2. What direction does the Saxon army invade from?
3. What is the name of Derfel's wife?
4. How does Arthur say Christians practice human sacrifice?
5. What kind of carts are used at the beginning of the attack on the fortress when Derfel is trapped?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Derfel and his men prepare to die in battle against the Saxon armies?
2. What happens as Derfel and his men pass an old Roman city on their way to Corinium?
3. What does Derfel realize when he hears Druids sacrifice the sons of kings?
4. Why does Arthur get upset with Derfel while at the temple of Mithras?
5. What does Aelle say after Derfel has defeated the Saxon warrior in the court?
6. What special assignment is Derfel given when the plans for the Saxon invasion are discussed?
7. What does Derfel realize when he sees Arthur with his son?
8. What does the Saxon army do when they have Derfel and his men trapped?
9. What is done to keep at bay the first wave of attack from the Saxons on Derfel's trapped men?
10. What surprising news about Arthur does Derfel learn when he comes back from the Saxon king?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Derfel lose his hand, and how does this affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author feels it is so important?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)