|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes up with the idea that breaks the shield line of the Saxons when Derfel and his men are trapped?
2. Who officiates at the important spring feast?
3. What did Cefydd sacrifice to try and win his war?
4. Who do the Druids usually sacrifice in their rituals?
5. Why do Arthur and his men all put crosses on their shields?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the climax of the battle against the Saxon armies?
2. What happens as Derfel and his men pass an old Roman city on their way to Corinium?
3. What does Aelle say after Derfel has defeated the Saxon warrior in the court?
4. What does the Saxon army do when they have Derfel and his men trapped?
5. What happens when Madroc is rescued from the sacrifice?
6. What does Aelle do before Derfel leaves his castle after delivering the message from Arthur?
7. What is included in the first chapter with the purpose of helping the reader understand the plot better?
8. What does Argante do at the Feast of Imbolc?
9. What does Derfel have planted while he is trapped by the Saxon army, and what does this show?
10. What is the price to Arthur for the alliance with Gwent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the main Druidic rituals described in this book, and how do they shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Merlin and his Druid followers present a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What is this philosophy, and how does this different idealism affect the people around him?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)