|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are there barrels of in the Temple of Mithras?
2. What path would the Saxon armies have left on?
3. What is Merlin?
4. When will the Saxons hold a festival for Eostre?
5. What does Arthur want to do in order to win the war with the Saxons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aelle say after Derfel has defeated the Saxon warrior in the court?
2. Why is little background information given at the beginning of this book?
3. What happens as Derfel and his men pass an old Roman city on their way to Corinium?
4. What is Arthur's initial plan of attack against the Saxons?
5. What are some of the beacon fires initially confused for?
6. What does Derfel realize when he hears Druids sacrifice the sons of kings?
7. What does Derfel have planted while he is trapped by the Saxon army, and what does this show?
8. What warning did Bors give Derfel, and how did this affect the fight?
9. What does Merlin do after Arthur puts an end to the ritual on Mai Dun?
10. How does Arthur find his son at the temple of Mithras?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
How does Derfel lose his hand, and how does this affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)