Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day do Derfel and his men put their armor on?
2. How does Derfel describe the day that the attack on the Saxons was begun?
3. What kind of man is Powys?
4. What is the official religion of Britain at the time of this book?
5. What are the Saxon armies preparing to do when they are attacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Derfel realize when he sees Arthur with his son?
2. What does Nimue use to cast her spells on people?
3. What breaks the peace in Briton after the defeat of the Saxons?
4. What are the main reasons that Mordred planned his attack against Arthur?
5. What does Nimue do when Excalibur is gone?
6. What special assignment is Derfel given when the plans for the Saxon invasion are discussed?
7. What causes the forces of Nimue and Mordred to break up?
8. What does Morgan do to find a cure for Ceinwyn?
9. What are some of Taliesin's talents?
10. What is the price to Arthur for the alliance with Gwent?
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity is one of the main themes in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Arthur and Derfel are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences.Write a compare/contrast essay, citing the text for support, about these two characters.
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Cornwell have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)