|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Derfel pack with him on his journey?
2. Who is the narrator of this book?
3. What are there barrels of in the Temple of Mithras?
4. What did Cefydd sacrifice to try and win his war?
5. How does Arthur say Christians practice human sacrifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What special assignment is Derfel given when the plans for the Saxon invasion are discussed?
2. What are some of the beacon fires initially confused for?
3. What happens as Derfel and his men prepare to die in battle against the Saxon armies?
4. What does Arthur ask Derfel to do during the winter following the sacrificial ritual?
5. What is the first thing Derfel does when he realizes that he and his men are trapped in the earthen fortress?
6. What does Merlin do after Arthur puts an end to the ritual on Mai Dun?
7. What does Derfel have planted while he is trapped by the Saxon army, and what does this show?
8. What does Argante do at the Feast of Imbolc?
9. What does Aelle say after Derfel has defeated the Saxon warrior in the court?
10. What is the one thing Arthur does NOT do while he is fighting with Derfel against the Saxons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Derfel's actual birthright, and what does this reveal about his character and his relationship to Arthur?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a theme that is prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how do those moments affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)