|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the Saxon armies camped out when Arthur plans to attack them?
2. Who does Derfel send a message to when he is trapped by the Saxon armies?
3. What does the King give Derfel before he leaves?
4. Where does Merlin say he talks to the gods?
5. Who officiates at the important spring feast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is done to keep at bay the first wave of attack from the Saxons on Derfel's trapped men?
2. What is the first thing Derfel does when he realizes that he and his men are trapped in the earthen fortress?
3. What is the one thing Arthur does NOT do while he is fighting with Derfel against the Saxons?
4. What is Arthur's initial plan of attack against the Saxons?
5. What does Arthur ask Derfel to do during the winter following the sacrificial ritual?
6. What does Aelle do before Derfel leaves his castle after delivering the message from Arthur?
7. What is the price to Arthur for the alliance with Gwent?
8. What warning did Bors give Derfel, and how did this affect the fight?
9. Why does Arthur send Derfel to confer with Aelle, and how does Derfel feel about this?
10. What happens when Madroc is rescued from the sacrifice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is this book narrated, and what does this do to enhance the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author feels it is so important?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)