|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When will the Saxons hold a festival for Eostre?
2. What does Merlin do when he sees what Derfel has brought into the temple for him?
3. Who does Derfel take with him when he evacuates after the Saxon attack?
4. Who do the Druids usually sacrifice in their rituals?
5. What breaks the shield line of the Saxons when Derfel and his men are trapped?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merlin do after Arthur puts an end to the ritual on Mai Dun?
2. Who are Guinevere's jailers?
3. What are some of the beacon fires initially confused for?
4. What disappoints Derfel when he arrives at the Aelle's hall?
5. What does Derfel have planted while he is trapped by the Saxon army, and what does this show?
6. What happens as Derfel and his men pass an old Roman city on their way to Corinium?
7. What is included in the first chapter with the purpose of helping the reader understand the plot better?
8. What does Argante do at the Feast of Imbolc?
9. What does Arthur ask Derfel to do during the winter following the sacrificial ritual?
10. What does Aelle do before Derfel leaves his castle after delivering the message from Arthur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how do those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Cornwell have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)