|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Derfel an invitation to the important spring feast?
2. What occupation does Derfel take after his battling is done?
3. What did Cefydd sacrifice to try and win his war?
4. Who is Derfel having a conversation with as he writes this book?
5. Why is Powis able to hide what he is writing about from the bishop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aelle say after Derfel has defeated the Saxon warrior in the court?
2. What does Merlin do after Arthur puts an end to the ritual on Mai Dun?
3. What is included in the first chapter with the purpose of helping the reader understand the plot better?
4. What is the message Arthur has Derfel send to Guinevere?
5. What does Arthur ask Derfel to do during the winter following the sacrificial ritual?
6. What is the first thing Derfel does when he realizes that he and his men are trapped in the earthen fortress?
7. What special assignment is Derfel given when the plans for the Saxon invasion are discussed?
8. What does Argante do at the Feast of Imbolc?
9. What is Arthur's initial plan of attack against the Saxons?
10. What is done to keep at bay the first wave of attack from the Saxons on Derfel's trapped men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Cornwell have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author feels it is so important?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is a theme that is prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)