|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warns Derfel of the advance of the Saxon army?
2. What important feast happens in the spring?
3. What does the King give Derfel before he leaves?
4. What does Derfel know he will receive at Nantosuelta?
5. What path would the Saxon armies have left on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Arthur's initial plan of attack against the Saxons?
2. How does Arthur form his plan of attack on the Saxon armies?
3. What does Derfel realize when he sees Arthur with his son?
4. What are some of Taliesin's talents?
5. What are some of the beacon fires initially confused for?
6. What warning did Bors give Derfel, and how did this affect the fight?
7. What disappoints Derfel when he arrives at the Aelle's hall?
8. What is the message Arthur has Derfel send to Guinevere?
9. What is the price to Arthur for the alliance with Gwent?
10. What is included in the first chapter with the purpose of helping the reader understand the plot better?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor is something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who is most affected by this pursuit, and how doesd it change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)