|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Merlin say he talks to the gods?
2. What is Merlin?
3. What does Merlin do when he sees what Derfel has brought into the temple for him?
4. How did Merlin make the naked woman glow?
5. What is Excalibur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the beacon fires initially confused for?
2. Why does Arthur get upset with Derfel while at the temple of Mithras?
3. What is included in the first chapter with the purpose of helping the reader understand the plot better?
4. What happens as Derfel and his men pass an old Roman city on their way to Corinium?
5. What happens when Madroc is rescued from the sacrifice?
6. Why does Arthur send Derfel to confer with Aelle, and how does Derfel feel about this?
7. What is the message Arthur has Derfel send to Guinevere?
8. What is the first thing Derfel does when he realizes that he and his men are trapped in the earthen fortress?
9. What does Merlin do after Arthur puts an end to the ritual on Mai Dun?
10. What surprising news about Arthur does Derfel learn when he comes back from the Saxon king?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)