|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of this book?
2. What kind of man is Powys?
3. Who is Derfel having a conversation with as he writes this book?
4. What is the naked woman in Domnoia carrying?
5. What does the King give Derfel before he leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Arthur ask Derfel to do during the winter following the sacrificial ritual?
2. What does Derfel realize when he hears Druids sacrifice the sons of kings?
3. What happens when Madroc is rescued from the sacrifice?
4. What special assignment is Derfel given when the plans for the Saxon invasion are discussed?
5. What does Derfel realize when he sees Arthur with his son?
6. What does Derfel have planted while he is trapped by the Saxon army, and what does this show?
7. What does Argante do at the Feast of Imbolc?
8. What is the one thing Arthur does NOT do while he is fighting with Derfel against the Saxons?
9. What does the Saxon army do when they have Derfel and his men trapped?
10. What is included in the first chapter with the purpose of helping the reader understand the plot better?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor is something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who is most affected by this pursuit, and how doesd it change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What is Derfel's actual birthright, and what does this reveal about his character and his relationship to Arthur?
Essay Topic 3
Arthur endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)