|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Derfel know he will receive at Nantosuelta?
2. How do Arthur's men feel about putting crosses on their shield?
3. Who made the Temple of Mithras?
4. When will the Saxons hold a festival for Eostre?
5. When are the gods to return to Britain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprising news about Arthur does Derfel learn when he comes back from the Saxon king?
2. What special assignment is Derfel given when the plans for the Saxon invasion are discussed?
3. What does the Saxon army do when they have Derfel and his men trapped?
4. What warning did Bors give Derfel, and how did this affect the fight?
5. What is the first thing Derfel does when he realizes that he and his men are trapped in the earthen fortress?
6. What does Derfel have planted while he is trapped by the Saxon army, and what does this show?
7. What is done to keep at bay the first wave of attack from the Saxons on Derfel's trapped men?
8. How does Arthur find his son at the temple of Mithras?
9. Why does Arthur send Derfel to confer with Aelle, and how does Derfel feel about this?
10. What does Merlin do after Arthur puts an end to the ritual on Mai Dun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Arthur endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity is one of the main themes in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)