|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warns Derfel of the advance of the Saxon army?
2. What surprising thing does Derfel do at the end of this fight in the Saxon Hall?
3. What path would the Saxon armies have left on?
4. Why does Arthur send Derfel to converse with the Saxon King?
5. What does the King give Derfel before he leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the message Arthur has Derfel send to Guinevere?
2. What is Arthur's initial plan of attack against the Saxons?
3. What does Derfel have planted while he is trapped by the Saxon army, and what does this show?
4. What does Argante do at the Feast of Imbolc?
5. What does Aelle say after Derfel has defeated the Saxon warrior in the court?
6. Why does Arthur get upset with Derfel while at the temple of Mithras?
7. What does Merlin do after Arthur puts an end to the ritual on Mai Dun?
8. What does Aelle do before Derfel leaves his castle after delivering the message from Arthur?
9. What is done to keep at bay the first wave of attack from the Saxons on Derfel's trapped men?
10. What special assignment is Derfel given when the plans for the Saxon invasion are discussed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how do those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the main Druidic rituals described in this book, and how do they shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Arthur endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)