|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Derfel give his message to the king?
2. Where does Arthur plan to make his stand against the combined Saxon armies?
3. Which direction does Derfel travel in after the Saxon attack?
4. What has Arthur broken up when the battle is won?
5. Who helps Lancelot try to overthrow Arthur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first thing Derfel does when he realizes that he and his men are trapped in the earthen fortress?
2. What is included in the first chapter with the purpose of helping the reader understand the plot better?
3. What does the Saxon army do when they have Derfel and his men trapped?
4. Why do Derfel and the other Warlords accept the invitation to the spring feast?
5. What does Aelle do before Derfel leaves his castle after delivering the message from Arthur?
6. What is the price to Arthur for the alliance with Gwent?
7. What does Merlin do after Arthur puts an end to the ritual on Mai Dun?
8. What warning did Bors give Derfel, and how did this affect the fight?
9. What does Aelle say after Derfel has defeated the Saxon warrior in the court?
10. What is Arthur's initial plan of attack against the Saxons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how do those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
How does Derfel lose his hand, and how does this affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Merlin and his Druid followers present a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What is this philosophy, and how does this different idealism affect the people around him?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)