|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bishop think Powis is writing about at the beginning of the book?
2. Why does Arthur not believe in any gods?
3. What makes Derfel think Merlin can talk to the gods?
4. What kind of flowers is the naked woman in Domnoia carrying?
5. How does Arthur say Christians practice human sacrifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Madroc is rescued from the sacrifice?
2. What does Olwen try to get Derfel to do as she takes him to Nimue?
3. What is included in the first chapter with the purpose of helping the reader understand the plot better?
4. What does Merlin say is his last enchantment?
5. What is Arthur's initial plan of attack against the Saxons?
6. How does Arthur find his son at the temple of Mithras?
7. What does Argante do at the Feast of Imbolc?
8. What is the price to Arthur for the alliance with Gwent?
9. What is the message Arthur has Derfel send to Guinevere?
10. What does Nimue do when Excalibur is gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how do those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Arthur and Derfel are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences.Write a compare/contrast essay, citing the text for support, about these two characters.
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)