|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Merlin?
2. What is Eostre?
3. Why is Powis able to hide what he is writing about from the bishop?
4. What is the official religion of Britain at the time of this book?
5. Where does Argante place the blood from the ritual at the spring feast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Saxon army do when they have Derfel and his men trapped?
2. What surprising news about Arthur does Derfel learn when he comes back from the Saxon king?
3. How does Arthur find his son at the temple of Mithras?
4. Why is little background information given at the beginning of this book?
5. What are some of the beacon fires initially confused for?
6. What is the message Arthur has Derfel send to Guinevere?
7. Who are Guinevere's jailers?
8. What disappoints Derfel when he arrives at the Aelle's hall?
9. What happens as Derfel and his men pass an old Roman city on their way to Corinium?
10. What is included in the first chapter with the purpose of helping the reader understand the plot better?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Cornwell have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
How does Gawain die, and what does this signify about the culture of this book?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author feels it is so important?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)