|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Merlin say he talks to the gods?
2. Who is the narrator of this book?
3. What surprising thing does Derfel do at the end of this fight in the Saxon Hall?
4. How is Arthur able to defeat the Saxon Army?
5. Who sends Derfel an invitation to the important spring feast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Derfel realize when he hears Druids sacrifice the sons of kings?
2. What is the first thing Derfel does when he realizes that he and his men are trapped in the earthen fortress?
3. What does Derfel realize when he sees Arthur with his son?
4. What happens as Derfel and his men prepare to die in battle against the Saxon armies?
5. What does Argante do at the Feast of Imbolc?
6. What does the Saxon army do when they have Derfel and his men trapped?
7. What is the price to Arthur for the alliance with Gwent?
8. What is the message Arthur has Derfel send to Guinevere?
9. How does Arthur find his son at the temple of Mithras?
10. Why does Arthur send Derfel to confer with Aelle, and how does Derfel feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arthur and Derfel are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences.Write a compare/contrast essay, citing the text for support, about these two characters.
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)