|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Arthur's son at the beginning of the book?
2. What is the naked woman in Domnoia carrying?
3. Where is Nantosuelta performed?
4. Who warns Derfel before his fight in the Saxon king's hall?
5. Who is the third set of men to aid Derfel and his army against the Saxons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the last enchantment?
2. How does Derfel persuade Morgan to perform a Druidic spell to fight against Nimue?
3. What is the first thing Derfel does when he realizes that he and his men are trapped in the earthen fortress?
4. Why do Derfel and the other Warlords accept the invitation to the spring feast?
5. How does Arthur form his plan of attack on the Saxon armies?
6. What does Derfel ask Gwydre to do for him at the end of the battle?
7. What deformity of the narrator is revealed at the beginning of Part 3?
8. What does Morgan have Derfel do to cure his wife?
9. What does Merlin do after Arthur puts an end to the ritual on Mai Dun?
10. What are some of the beacon fires initially confused for?
Essay Topic 1
How does Derfel lose his hand, and how does this affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author feels it is so important?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is a theme that is prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)