|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sissy missing when she returns to the ranch in Chapter 104?
2. Who is dreaming about her diabetic mother in the beginning of Chapter 77?
3. The Chink tells Sissy in Chapter 72 that Christianity is a what kind of religion?
4. What can Julian hear gathering its dusting forces, in Chapter 83?
5. Which cowgirl volunteers to be a hostage to the authorities in Chapter 94?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Sissy return to New York in Part Four, and what does she find upon her arrival?
2. What confrontation takes place between Dr. Goldman and Dr. Robbins in Part Four, regarding Sissy?
3. Why does Julian take Sissy to see a doctor in Part Four? What is his initial reaction to Julian's concerns?
4. What does Dr. Goldman decide after Sissy's evaluation in Part Four?
5. What do the whooping cranes represent symbolically in the text?
6. Who is Professor Nelson, and what interaction does she have with the cowgirls in Part Five?
7. In Part Five, when does the Countess visit, and what does he have to say to Sissy about the whopping cranes?
8. When Sissy goes to see the Chink in Part Five, what takes place on the ranch?
9. What is Robbins representing symbolically by the confrontations of Sissy in Part Five, with the Countess and Julian?
10. What leads to Sissy's assault of the Countess in Part Five? How does it take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the protagonist of Even Cowgirls Get the Blues. How old is she? What are her distinguishing characteristics? What actions does she take through the novel? Define protagonist in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Julian Gliche and Dr. Robbins. How are these men similar? What do they each vie for? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Robbins' use of simile, metaphor, and personification. What does the fact that Robbins is known for his use of metaphor refer to from the text? Define the terms in your answer.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)