|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Chink use as a musical instrument in Chapter 74?
2. What does Sissy say is smutty business in Chapter 70?
3. Who arrives in Chapter 108?
4. The author writes in Chapter 81 that Sissy has grown as pale as what?
5. Who are the Gitches meeting for New Year's in Chapter 53?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sissy feel to be back on the ranch in Part Five?
2. Who does the author reveal himself to be in the end of the novel? What is his objective in the plot?
3. What is Robbins representing symbolically by the confrontations of Sissy in Part Five, with the Countess and Julian?
4. What does The Chink express to Sissy that he realized about the Clock People waiting for the Eternity of Joy?
5. Who is Professor Nelson, and what interaction does she have with the cowgirls in Part Five?
6. In Part Five, when does the Countess visit, and what does he have to say to Sissy about the whopping cranes?
7. What takes place on the Rubber Rose Ranch in Chapters 52-62 between the cowgirls and Sissy?
8. What does the Chink tell Sissy of the role of women in religion in Part Four?
9. What does Robbins (the author) assert happened to the power of women in civilization over time? How does he represent through Sissy's story?
10. What does the Chink tell Sissy of his feelings toward the cowgirls in Part Four, Chapters 72-78?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of order and disorder in nature and wisdom and self-enlightenment in Even Cowgirls Get the Blues. What symbolism does the author use to reinforce these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of gender equality and women's empowerment in the novel. How does Robbins illustrate this theme through symbolism?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of self-identity and heritage from Even Cowgirls Get the Blues. What characters are the focus of this theme? What is Robbins' message regarding each?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)