|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rolf earn the respect of the citizens around him?
2. Why is Eva summoned to Colonel Rodriquez in Chapter 11?
3. For what are the people revolting in Chapter 7?
4. What makes Eva see that Huberto is a terrorist?
5. What does Eva do as a result of all the interest from Colonel Rodriquez?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what does Eva learn has happened to Melesio?
2. What role do women in this story play in Eva's life?
3. What type of leader does Rogelio seem to be?
4. What purpose does the Universal Matter serve in Chapter 11?
5. What changes has Rolf gone through by Chapter 7?
6. How do Riad and Eva handle Zulema after Kamal's departure?
7. How does the political unrest affect Eva and Santa Agua?
8. What type of relationship do Huberto and Eva have in Chapter 9?
9. What is the political state of the country in Chapter 7?
10. What is Mimi's experience with Colonel Rodriquez?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Riad comes into Eva's life at a dire moment and gives her a renewed life. Please explain their relationship when they first meet. How does this relationship grow and develop throughout the rest of the story? What role does Riad fulfill in Eva's life?
Essay Topic 2
Zulema plays a crucial role in the life of Eva. Please briefly explain who Zulema was and explain what her effect on Eva's life was. Do you believe that Eva's life may have turned out differently if Zulema was not in it or if Zulema's actions had been different than those in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Coming of age is a large theme in this novel. Please describe the coming-of-age journey for Rolf. Please note what the character is like at the start of the novel as a child and how he changes, including the various occurrences, experiences, and people who helped him.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)