|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman Eva meets in the church in Chapter 8?
2. What shocking question does Eva ask the Colonel while out at dinner?
3. How does Eva come to meet Rolf?
4. Who is the woman shown on the news that is found floating down the river in a casket?
5. Where does Rolf find Eva when he is back in La Colonia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eva find Madrina and what does she try to do for her?
2. Overall, how would you say Eva has handled her misfortunes in life?
3. What type of relationship do Huberto and Eva have in Chapter 9?
4. What is Mimi's experience with Colonel Rodriquez?
5. How has life changed for Melesio in Chapter 9?
6. What role does Mimi play in Huberto's plan to break out the prisoners?
7. What route does Rolf take to reach Huberto in Chapter 10?
8. What purpose does the Universal Matter serve in Chapter 11?
9. How does Eva handle Colonel Rodriquez's interest in her in Chapter 10?
10. How does the political unrest affect Eva and Santa Agua?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zulema plays a crucial role in the life of Eva. Please briefly explain who Zulema was and explain what her effect on Eva's life was. Do you believe that Eva's life may have turned out differently if Zulema was not in it or if Zulema's actions had been different than those in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The setting in this story plays a large part in the lives of the characters. Please explain the political and social situation of South America at the time this novel was set. How do the social and political tensions in South America affect the lives of the main characters in this novel--Huberto, Eva, Rolf?
Essay Topic 3
Romantic relationships can be seen throughout this novel. Please compare and contrast the romantic relationship between Eva and Huberto with the romantic relationship of Rolf and Eva. In your opinion, which one is better for both involved?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)