|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of business to Rupert and Burgel operate?
(a) A dress store.
(b) An inn.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A general store.
2. What does Frau Carle do with the children when Lukas returns home from prison?
(a) She encourages them to run away.
(b) She tries to blame everything on them.
(c) She sends them away.
(d) She tries to keep them out of his sight.
3. What happens in the red light district when a new police sergeant comes around in Chapter 5?
(a) Raids and arrests.
(b) More murders.
(c) Less police regulation.
(d) More bribes between policemen and red light residents.
4. Why does the Yugoslavian woman leave the country?
(a) Her mother is sick and she needs to leave.
(b) She is scared because of a prank played on her.
(c) She misses Yugoslavia.
(d) She cannot afford to live in South America anymore.
5. Who impregnates Consuelo?
(a) Another servant.
(b) The delivery boy.
(c) The Professor.
(d) The Indian gardener.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes the initial feelings Eva has when she first begins working for her new employer, a member of the Cabinet?
2. What does the priest do to the Professor's estate when the Professor dies?
3. Why does the patrona fire Eva?
4. What does Frau Carle say about Lukas' death that stuns her son?
5. What relation is Kamal to Riad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Russian soldiers do to the townspeople in Chapter 2?
2. Why is Rolf sent to South America?
3. How does Lukas' absence affect his family when he goes to war?
4. Please describe Professor Jones.
5. Who is Huberto Naranjo?
6. How is the strength of Consuelo seen in Chapter 1?
7. Please describe Senor Aravena.
8. What does Huberto do for Eva in Chapter 5?
9. What is Zulema and Riad's marriage like?
10. What is Consuelo's time at the convent like prior to living with the Professor?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)