|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frau Carle do with the children when Lukas returns home from prison?
(a) She tries to blame everything on them.
(b) She tries to keep them out of his sight.
(c) She sends them away.
(d) She encourages them to run away.
2. Who teaches Eva how to read and write?
(a) The local priest.
3. What is the Pearl of the Orient?
(a) The Turkish church in town.
(b) Riad's store.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) The village hotel.
4. Why does Frau Carle decide to send Rolf to South America?
(a) Because he is a hooligan.
(b) Because he is not helping her around the house.
(c) Because he needs an education.
(d) Because he is depressed.
5. Why is Consuelo sent to live with Professor Jones?
(a) She is too much trouble.
(b) She keeps running away.
(c) She needs an education.
(d) She is not benefitting from convent life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What inappropriate act does the patron make Eva do for him?
2. Why is Eva told that she needs to leave La Senora's?
3. Who impregnates Consuelo?
4. How does Eva's relationship with Riad change upon Kamal's arrival?
5. What is Melesio's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do things change in the red light district in Chapter 5?
2. What is Eva's relationship with Patron and Patrona?
3. What is the result of Jochen's departure from his family?
4. How does the Carle family respond to Lukas' death?
5. What is the relationship between Rolf and his cousins?
6. How does Consuelo instill a sense of imagination in her daughter?
7. Who is Huberto Naranjo?
8. How does Eva feel about her new family in Santa Agua?
9. What request is made by the Professor on his deathbed and is it obeyed?
10. What business/trades is Uncle Rupert involved in?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)