|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What task do the soldiers make the village people, including Rolf, do?
(a) Clean the soldiers' boots.
(b) Join the army.
(c) Feed and house the troops.
(d) Bury the prison camp dead.
2. What type of soldiers come into the small village where Rolf and his family live?
(a) British soldiers.
(b) American soldiers.
(c) Nazi soldiers.
(d) Russian soldiers.
3. What causes the gardener to almost die in Chapter 1?
(a) A fall.
(b) A parasite.
(d) A snake bite.
4. What is the name of the bar Huberto takes Eva when he find her in the city?
(a) La Taqueria.
(b) El Jimador.
(c) El Negro.
(d) Agua Verde.
5. Why does Kamal come to live with Riad?
(a) To go to school.
(b) To learn a profession.
(c) To gain riches.
(d) To avoid the wars in his country.
6. Why does Rolf think himself unmanly as a child?
(a) He wants to be a nurse.
(b) He likes poetry.
(c) He plays with dolls.
(d) He does not like wrestling.
7. What does Consuelo remove from El Portuguese's chickens?
8. What feelings, if any, does Eva have towards Kamal?
(a) She has a crush on Kamal.
(b) Eva has no feelings whatsoever toward Kamal.
(c) Eva has friendly feelings only toward Kamal.
(d) Eva cannot stand Kamal.
9. What game do Elvira and Eva play with the coffin?
(a) They pretend they are mummy seekers.
(b) They play hide and seek.
(c) They pretend to attend each other's funerals.
(d) They play vampires.
10. Why does Frau Carle give up on religion?
(a) Because she is an atheist.
(b) Because she does not think God would not allow her children to live with a monster like Lukas.
(c) Because Lukas believes in God and he is evil.
(d) Because her prayers that Lukas would die were not answered.
11. Why does the Yugoslavian woman leave the country?
(a) She misses Yugoslavia.
(b) She is scared because of a prank played on her.
(c) She cannot afford to live in South America anymore.
(d) Her mother is sick and she needs to leave.
12. What best describes the initial feelings Eva has when she first begins working for her new employer, a member of the Cabinet?
13. How does Madrina react when Eva comes home after several days on the streets?
(a) She banishes Eva from her house forever.
(b) She is overjoyed Eva is safe.
(c) She is angry and beats Eva for her behavior.
(d) She is angry but tells Eva she understands.
14. What does the priest do to the Professor's estate when the Professor dies?
(a) He gives the estate to Eva.
(b) He gives the estate to Madrina.
(c) He leaves the estate open as a museum.
(d) He loots the estate.
15. What is the name of the village where Rolf's uncle lives?
(a) Nueva Vienna.
(b) Los Cruzes.
(c) La Colonia.
(d) El Cielo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lukas Carle sent to prison?
2. How does Jochen injure his father in Chapter 2?
3. What does Rolf intend to study at University?
4. Why does Frau Carle decide to send Rolf to South America?
5. Who impregnates Consuelo?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)