|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feelings, if any, does Eva have towards Kamal?
(a) Eva has friendly feelings only toward Kamal.
(b) Eva has no feelings whatsoever toward Kamal.
(c) Eva cannot stand Kamal.
(d) She has a crush on Kamal.
2. What type of soldiers come into the small village where Rolf and his family live?
(a) American soldiers.
(b) Nazi soldiers.
(c) British soldiers.
(d) Russian soldiers.
3. How does Rolf meet Senor Aravena?
(a) He wants to marry one of his cousins.
(b) He runs into him at a store.
(c) He is a guest at the inn.
(d) He is Rupert's neighbor.
4. What is the relationship between Eva's new patrona and patron?
(a) They are married.
(b) They are brother and sister.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are father and daughter.
5. How does Jochen react when his father returns home from war?
(a) He makes his father proud.
(b) He yells and curses at his father.
(c) He stutters and stumbles.
(d) He acts tough but remains silent.
6. What does Frau Carle say about Lukas' death that stuns her son?
(a) That Jochen killed Lukas.
(b) That she has been praying for his death.
(c) That his death was her doing.
(d) That they should be grateful that he is dead.
7. What does Huberto ask La Senora to do for Eva?
(a) Teach her to read.
(b) Teach her lace-making.
(c) Help her learn to sew.
(d) Teach her English.
8. What does Rolf wish regarding his father's death?
(a) He wishes that his father had not suffered so.
(b) He wishes he would have had the courage to kill his father.
(c) He wishes that the killers would have been more brutal.
(d) He wishes his father had not died.
9. Why does the patrona fire Eva?
(a) Eva stole money from her.
(b) She is angry with Madrina.
(c) She cannot afford to pay her anymore.
(d) Eva is making mistakes.
10. What does the name Eva mean?
11. How does Frau Carle think Lukas has died?
(a) God struck him dead.
(b) He was murdered by his students.
(c) He committed suicide.
(d) A hitman has killed him.
12. How does Zulema respond when she learns that Kamal is gone?
(a) She is depressed.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She is overjoyed.
(d) She is relieved.
13. What inappropriate act does the patron make Eva do for him?
(a) Wash his underwear.
(b) Give him massages.
(c) Brush his teeth.
(d) Bathe and dress him.
14. Why does Frau Carle give up on religion?
(a) Because her prayers that Lukas would die were not answered.
(b) Because she is an atheist.
(c) Because Lukas believes in God and he is evil.
(d) Because she does not think God would not allow her children to live with a monster like Lukas.
15. What is the name of the material that Eva's new boss, the Yugoslavian, invented?
(b) Everything clay.
(c) Modge podge.
(d) Universal matter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of business to Rupert and Burgel operate?
2. Who teaches Eva how to read and write?
3. What medical condition strikes the Professor in Chapter 1?
4. What type of message does it send to Rolf when his brother stands up to his father?
5. What term of endearment does Eva refer to Elvira?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)