|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Consuelo live at the convent in the city?
(a) Three years.
(b) Four years.
(c) 12 months.
(d) 16 months.
2. What does Rolf wish regarding his father's death?
(a) He wishes that his father had not suffered so.
(b) He wishes that the killers would have been more brutal.
(c) He wishes his father had not died.
(d) He wishes he would have had the courage to kill his father.
3. What task do the soldiers make the village people, including Rolf, do?
(a) Bury the prison camp dead.
(b) Join the army.
(c) Feed and house the troops.
(d) Clean the soldiers' boots.
4. What feelings, if any, does Eva have towards Kamal?
(a) Eva has friendly feelings only toward Kamal.
(b) Eva cannot stand Kamal.
(c) She has a crush on Kamal.
(d) Eva has no feelings whatsoever toward Kamal.
5. What best describes the initial feelings Eva has when she first begins working for her new employer, a member of the Cabinet?
6. How does Madrina react when Eva comes home after several days on the streets?
(a) She is overjoyed Eva is safe.
(b) She is angry but tells Eva she understands.
(c) She is angry and beats Eva for her behavior.
(d) She banishes Eva from her house forever.
7. What other trade does Uncle Rupert do?
(c) Clock maker.
8. How long is the trip to South America?
(a) Two months.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) One month.
(d) Two weeks
9. What is Aravena's profession?
(b) Government official.
(c) Newswriter and film maker.
10. Who offers to be the godmother of Consuelo's baby?
(a) The Professor's wife.
(b) The Mother Superior.
(c) The local seamstress.
(d) The cook.
11. Why is Lukas Carle sent to prison?
(a) He is a thief.
(b) He is a war deserter.
(c) He is a traitor.
(d) He murdered someone.
12. What is the name of the bar Huberto takes Eva when he find her in the city?
(a) El Jimador.
(b) Agua Verde.
(c) La Taqueria.
(d) El Negro.
13. What is the Palace of the Poor?
(a) The mansion of El Benefactor.
(b) A hotel in the red light district.
(c) A prison for the homeless.
(d) A local homeless shelter.
14. How does Rolf meet Senor Aravena?
(a) He wants to marry one of his cousins.
(b) He is Rupert's neighbor.
(c) He is a guest at the inn.
(d) He runs into him at a store.
15. What does Professor Jones tell the priest on his death bed?
(a) The church should get all his money.
(b) Eva is to be his only heir.
(c) The priest needs to give everything to the cook.
(d) Eva is to become a nun.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the missionaries treat Consuelo?
2. What does the Professor do with dead bodies?
3. Why must Eva get a job?
4. Why is Ines' son shot in Chapter 6?
5. Where does Katherina hide from her father?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)