|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Riad Halabi's nickname?
(c) The Turk.
(d) El Senor.
2. What is the Pearl of the Orient?
(a) Riad's store.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) The village hotel.
(d) The Turkish church in town.
3. What term of endearment does Eva refer to Elvira?
4. How does Jochen injure his father in Chapter 2?
(a) He breaks his father's nose.
(b) He gives his father a concussion.
(c) He breaks his father's jaw.
(d) He breaks his father's arm.
5. How does Madrina react when Eva comes home after several days on the streets?
(a) She is angry and beats Eva for her behavior.
(b) She banishes Eva from her house forever.
(c) She is overjoyed Eva is safe.
(d) She is angry but tells Eva she understands.
6. What happens in the red light district when a new police sergeant comes around in Chapter 5?
(a) Less police regulation.
(b) More bribes between policemen and red light residents.
(c) More murders.
(d) Raids and arrests.
7. How does Jochen's father view him?
8. How does Rolf respond when some of his classmates start wearing patches on their uniforms to remember the death of Lukas?
(a) He is angry and attacks them.
(b) He becomes despondent and cannot eat.
(c) He is grateful.
(d) He is proud.
9. What is the name of the mountain town where Riad takes Eva?
(a) Cielo Azul.
(b) Isla de Miel.
(c) Agua Santa.
(d) Santo Domingo.
10. What does Melesio do at the cabaret?
(b) Manages the cabaret.
(c) Acts as a bouncer.
(d) Performs dressed as a woman.
11. What medical condition strikes the Professor in Chapter 1?
(a) A heart attack.
(c) An aneurism.
(d) A stroke.
12. What profession does Lukas Carle have before the war?
(a) Store owner.
13. Why must Eva get a job?
(a) Eva is too much trouble for Madrina.
(b) Madrina cannot care for Eva on her own.
(c) Eva asks to get a job.
(d) The priest makes Eva get a job.
14. How does Zulema respond when she learns that Kamal is gone?
(a) She is relieved.
(b) She is overjoyed.
(c) She is depressed.
(d) She is angry.
15. Why is Ines' son shot in Chapter 6?
(a) He tried to break into a store.
(b) He was a guerrilla soldier.
(c) He stole a mango.
(d) He attacked a policeman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Huberto ask La Senora to do for Eva?
2. What type of soldiers come into the small village where Rolf and his family live?
3. What is Ines' profession?
4. What does the town do to Ines' son's killer?
5. How old was Consuelo when she met El Portuguese?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)