|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Katherina hide from her father?
(a) In the closet.
(b) Under the kitchen table.
(c) Outside in the woods.
(d) Under her bed.
2. What does Melesio do at the cabaret?
(b) Acts as a bouncer.
(c) Performs dressed as a woman.
(d) Manages the cabaret.
3. How long does Eva work for the Cabinet member before she cannot handle it anymore?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Five days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Two weeks.
4. Why is Eva told that she needs to leave La Senora's?
(a) La Senora is sick and needs to be alone.
(b) Eva has brought her bad luck.
(c) Eva is not pulling her weight.
(d) La Senora needs to focus on helping Melesio.
5. Why does Rolf think himself unmanly as a child?
(a) He does not like wrestling.
(b) He wants to be a nurse.
(c) He plays with dolls.
(d) He likes poetry.
6. What does Uncle Rupert hope to teach his nephew?
(b) What love is.
(c) His trades.
(d) How to be a good man.
7. What type of message does it send to Rolf when his brother stands up to his father?
(a) Not all parents should be respected.
(b) Don't stand up for anyone but yourself.
(c) To be a man you should beat up people.
(d) Weak can overcome if they have courage.
8. What is the name of the material that Eva's new boss, the Yugoslavian, invented?
(a) Universal matter.
(c) Modge podge.
(d) Everything clay.
9. What is the name of the mountain town where Riad takes Eva?
(a) Agua Santa.
(b) Santo Domingo.
(c) Cielo Azul.
(d) Isla de Miel.
10. What is the name of the convent in the city where Consuelo is sent?
(a) Convent of Santa Catalina.
(b) Convent of the Little Sisters of Charity.
(c) Convent of the Holy Names.
(d) Convent of the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters.
11. How does Jochen react when his father returns home from war?
(a) He stutters and stumbles.
(b) He makes his father proud.
(c) He yells and curses at his father.
(d) He acts tough but remains silent.
12. How does Rolf respond when some of his classmates start wearing patches on their uniforms to remember the death of Lukas?
(a) He is angry and attacks them.
(b) He is proud.
(c) He becomes despondent and cannot eat.
(d) He is grateful.
13. How does Eva's relationship with Riad change upon Kamal's arrival?
(a) Riad spends more time with Eva.
(b) Eva spends all her time with Kamal.
(c) Eva begins to fall in love with Riad.
(d) Riad spends less time with Eva.
14. What does Huberto ask La Senora to do for Eva?
(a) Teach her English.
(b) Teach her to read.
(c) Help her learn to sew.
(d) Teach her lace-making.
15. What is the Pearl of the Orient?
(a) The Turkish church in town.
(b) Riad's store.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) The village hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Consuelo tell her daughter about death?
2. What is Riad Halabi's nickname?
3. What happens in the red light district when a new police sergeant comes around in Chapter 5?
4. How long is the trip to South America?
5. Who offers to be the godmother of Consuelo's baby?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)