|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many gates surround Thebes?
2. How does Dionysus appear when he enters?
3. Who kills the dragon that Ares has fathered?
4. Who accompanies Creon to see Teiresius?
5. Who welcomes Dionysus after he escapes the stable?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
2. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
3. In the case of his death, what does Eteocles ask of Creon?
4. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
5. How does Dionysus illustrate that Pentheus is responsible for his own fate?
6. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
7. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
8. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
9. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
10. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of the chorus in Electra. Who are they made up of? Who do they side with during the action? In what ways do they perform?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Revenge" in the play, Electra. How does this theme carry the action of the play? What characters embody this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of The Bacchae. What is different about this protagonist as opposed to the protagonists in the previous two plays? What are his objectives and actions in the play?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)