|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose life does the chorus bemoan before the battle in The Phoenician Women?
2. Pentheus has heard of a trickster from where, claiming that Dionysus is a god?
3. Eteocles decrees anyone who buries his brother in Thebes be what?
4. Who did Zeus hide Dionysus from as a child?
5. How many gates surround Thebes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
2. What is Jocasta's fate in the end of The Phoenician Women?
3. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
4. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
5. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
6. How does Dionysus illustrate that Pentheus is responsible for his own fate?
7. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
8. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
9. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
10. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Polyneices and Eteocles in The Phoenician Women. How are these characters related? How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of the chorus in Electra. Who are they made up of? Who do they side with during the action? In what ways do they perform?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plot structure and actions which take place in The Phoenician Women. Where is the climax? What takes place in the falling action and resolution of the play?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)