|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Eteocles ask Creon to speak to of the coming war?
2. To whose daughter is Polyneices married?
3. What natural disaster does Dionysus call forth in The Bacchae?
4. Who delivers the opening speech of exposition in The Bacchae?
5. Who slips on a stone, and his leg is exposed during the duel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
2. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
3. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
4. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
5. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
6. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
7. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
8. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
9. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
10. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the character, Orestes? What is his relationship to Electra? What has he come to Argos to do? What obstacles does he face along his journey?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Wealth and Poverty" as it applies to the play Electra. How does this theme drive the action of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Revenge" in the play, Electra. How does this theme carry the action of the play? What characters embody this theme?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)