|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What appears when one of the wild women of the Bacchae strikes the ground?
2. Who is Dionysus' mother?
3. What does Dionysus strike down with lightning?
4. Dionysus says that Pentheus must dress how to avoid being killed by the celebrants?
5. Who does Teiresius say must die to save Thebes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
2. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
3. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
4. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
5. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
6. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
7. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
8. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
9. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
10. How does Dionysus illustrate that Pentheus is responsible for his own fate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Power" in the play, The Phoenician Women. Who has power in the play? Who seeks it? How does this theme affect all of the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the act of war in the face of justification in The Phoenician Women. Is justification cause for war? Are the two main characters justified in destroying their homeland? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of the chorus in Electra. Who are they made up of? Who do they side with during the action? In what ways do they perform?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)