|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has the greater army in the war in The Phoenician Women?
2. What is reported that the women tore apart with bare hands in The Bacchae?
3. Who did Zeus hide Dionysus from as a child?
4. In what city-state is The Bacchae set?
5. Whose death does the chorus sing of in the beginning of The Bacchae?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
2. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
3. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
4. In the case of his death, what does Eteocles ask of Creon?
5. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
6. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
7. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
8. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
9. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
10. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Defiance Against the Gods" in The Bacchae. What is Euripides' message with this theme? What is society's belief during this time? How does this theme justify the actions of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motivations and actions of the two characters, Jocasta and Antigone, in The Phoenician Women. What do these characters do to propel or block the actions taking place? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot line of the play, Electra. What actions are taken to create the "Rising Action," "Climax," "Falling Action," and "Resolution"?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)