|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Antigone planned to wed?
2. After the battle in The Phoenician Women, who enters, crying for his son's death?
3. Who is killed by stones dropped from the wall in the battle in The Phoenician Women?
4. Dionysus offers to lead Pentheus where?
5. Who has been gossiping that Dionysus is NOT the son of Zeus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
2. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
3. In the case of his death, what does Eteocles ask of Creon?
4. What natural occurrences does Dionysus bring upon Thebes? How does he use this to affect Pentheus?
5. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
6. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
7. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
8. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
9. What is Jocasta's fate in the end of The Phoenician Women?
10. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the following characters from the Bacchae and their actions: Pentheus, Agave, Cadmus, Teiresius, and Coryphaeus.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Defiance Against the Gods" in The Bacchae. What is Euripides' message with this theme? What is society's belief during this time? How does this theme justify the actions of the play?
Essay Topic 3
How are the violent scenes and battles created in the plays of Euripides? Describe the staging of the three plays studied from the collection and the battles or murders which take place in each.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)