|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eteocles suggest they attack the opposing army?
2. What appears when one of the wild women of the Bacchae strikes the ground?
3. Who adamantly does NOT worship Dionysus in The Bacchae?
4. Who welcomes Dionysus after he escapes the stable?
5. The herders try to ambush who to bring her back to Pentheus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
2. What natural occurrences does Dionysus bring upon Thebes? How does he use this to affect Pentheus?
3. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
4. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
5. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
6. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
7. What is Jocasta's fate in the end of The Phoenician Women?
8. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
9. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
10. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motivations and actions of the two characters, Jocasta and Antigone, in The Phoenician Women. What do these characters do to propel or block the actions taking place? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the character, Orestes? What is his relationship to Electra? What has he come to Argos to do? What obstacles does he face along his journey?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the exposition provided by Dionysus in the beginning of The Bacchae. What has this character come here to do? Why?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)