|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Pentheus' mother?
2. What does Menoeceus do during the battle in The Phoenician Women?
3. To whose daughter is Polyneices married?
4. In the Phoenician Women, who does Ares seek revenge against?
5. What natural disaster does Dionysus call forth in The Bacchae?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who commits the most noble act in The Phoenician Women?
2. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
3. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
4. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
5. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
6. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
7. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
8. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
9. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
10. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the details of the exposition in Electra from the opening speeches.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the exposition provided by Dionysus in the beginning of The Bacchae. What has this character come here to do? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the exposition of The Phoenician Women. What is the story of Oedipus and his reign in Thebes? What has led up to the events which take place in the play?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)