|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Polyneices, with his last breath, begs for what?
2. Who accompanies Creon to see Teiresius?
3. Whose death does the chorus sing of in the beginning of The Bacchae?
4. On what mountain are the wild women performing miracles in The Bacchae?
5. Dionysus offers to lead Pentheus where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
2. Who commits the most noble act in The Phoenician Women?
3. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
4. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
5. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
6. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
7. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
8. In the case of his death, what does Eteocles ask of Creon?
9. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
10. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Revenge" in the play, Electra. How does this theme carry the action of the play? What characters embody this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Polyneices and Eteocles in The Phoenician Women. How are these characters related? How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the following characters from the Bacchae and their actions: Pentheus, Agave, Cadmus, Teiresius, and Coryphaeus.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)