|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Zeus hide Dionysus from as a child?
2. In The Bacchae, the chorus sings that ______ men are punished by the gods.
3. Who does the messenger tell Creon is dead near the end of The Phoenician Women?
4. Who does Polyneices pray to for victory in the duel?
5. Who is exiled at the end of The Phoenician Women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
2. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
3. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
4. Who commits the most noble act in The Phoenician Women?
5. In the case of his death, what does Eteocles ask of Creon?
6. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
7. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
8. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
9. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
10. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motivations and actions of the two characters, Jocasta and Antigone, in The Phoenician Women. What do these characters do to propel or block the actions taking place? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the details of the exposition in Electra from the opening speeches.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of imagery, symbolism, and motif in the play "The Bacchae." Define the terms and give examples of each from the text and what they represent.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)