|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dionysus appear when he enters?
2. What appears when one of the wild women strikes a rock with a stick in The Bacchae?
3. Who is Dionysus' mother?
4. In the Phoenician Women, who does Ares seek revenge against?
5. Polyneices, with his last breath, begs for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
2. How does Dionysus illustrate that Pentheus is responsible for his own fate?
3. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
4. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
5. Who commits the most noble act in The Phoenician Women?
6. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
7. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
8. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
9. What is Jocasta's fate in the end of The Phoenician Women?
10. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the exposition of The Phoenician Women. What is the story of Oedipus and his reign in Thebes? What has led up to the events which take place in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the act of war in the face of justification in The Phoenician Women. Is justification cause for war? Are the two main characters justified in destroying their homeland? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plot structure and actions which take place in The Phoenician Women. Where is the climax? What takes place in the falling action and resolution of the play?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)