|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Polyneices, with his last breath, begs for what?
2. Who does Eteocles pray to for victory in the duel?
3. Eteocles tells Creon that Polyneices will do what?
4. Who slips on a stone, and his leg is exposed during the duel?
5. Who adamantly does NOT worship Dionysus in The Bacchae?
Short Essay Questions
1. What natural occurrences does Dionysus bring upon Thebes? How does he use this to affect Pentheus?
2. Who commits the most noble act in The Phoenician Women?
3. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
4. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
5. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
6. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
7. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
8. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
9. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
10. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Wealth and Poverty" as it applies to the play Electra. How does this theme drive the action of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the protagonist of The Bacchae. What is different about this protagonist as opposed to the protagonists in the previous two plays? What are his objectives and actions in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Defiance Against the Gods" in The Bacchae. What is Euripides' message with this theme? What is society's belief during this time? How does this theme justify the actions of the play?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)