|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What appears when one of the wild women of the Bacchae strikes the ground?
2. Pentheus has heard of a trickster from where, claiming that Dionysus is a god?
3. Whose life does the chorus bemoan before the battle in The Phoenician Women?
4. In The Bacchae, the chorus sings that ______ men are punished by the gods.
5. How many gates surround Thebes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
2. How does Dionysus illustrate that Pentheus is responsible for his own fate?
3. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
4. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
5. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
6. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
7. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
8. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
9. Who is the superior military strategist between Eteocles and Creon? Why?
10. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the act of war in the face of justification in The Phoenician Women. Is justification cause for war? Are the two main characters justified in destroying their homeland? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motivations and actions of the two characters, Jocasta and Antigone, in The Phoenician Women. What do these characters do to propel or block the actions taking place? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Revenge" in the play, Electra. How does this theme carry the action of the play? What characters embody this theme?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)