|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the founder of Thebes?
2. Dionysus offers to lead Pentheus where?
3. Who is the current ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae?
4. On what mountain are the wild women performing miracles in The Bacchae?
5. Dionysus leads Pentheus away, saying that who will bring him back in her arms?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the case of his death, what does Eteocles ask of Creon?
2. What is Jocasta's fate in the end of The Phoenician Women?
3. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
4. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
5. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
6. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
7. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
8. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
9. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
10. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the following characters from the Bacchae and their actions: Pentheus, Agave, Cadmus, Teiresius, and Coryphaeus.
Essay Topic 2
Who is the character, Orestes? What is his relationship to Electra? What has he come to Argos to do? What obstacles does he face along his journey?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of imagery, symbolism, and motif in the play "The Bacchae." Define the terms and give examples of each from the text and what they represent.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)