|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eteocles suggest they attack the opposing army?
2. Who has been gossiping that Dionysus is NOT the son of Zeus?
3. Polyneices, with his last breath, begs for what?
4. Where has Dionysus been traveling to gather followers?
5. How does Dionysus appear when he enters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
2. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
3. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
4. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
5. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
6. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
7. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
8. What is Jocasta's fate in the end of The Phoenician Women?
9. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
10. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the exposition of The Phoenician Women. What is the story of Oedipus and his reign in Thebes? What has led up to the events which take place in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot line of the play, Electra. What actions are taken to create the "Rising Action," "Climax," "Falling Action," and "Resolution"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Revenge" in the play, Electra. How does this theme carry the action of the play? What characters embody this theme?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)