|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills the dragon that Ares has fathered?
2. What is reported that the women tore apart with bare hands in The Bacchae?
3. Pentheus has heard of a trickster from where, claiming that Dionysus is a god?
4. Instead of Dionysus, what is in the stable that is to be Dionysus' prison?
5. Who delivers the opening speech of exposition in The Bacchae?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
2. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
3. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
4. How does Dionysus illustrate that Pentheus is responsible for his own fate?
5. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
6. What is Jocasta's fate in the end of The Phoenician Women?
7. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
8. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
9. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
10. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Wealth and Poverty" as it applies to the play Electra. How does this theme drive the action of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot line of the play, Electra. What actions are taken to create the "Rising Action," "Climax," "Falling Action," and "Resolution"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the act of war in the face of justification in The Phoenician Women. Is justification cause for war? Are the two main characters justified in destroying their homeland? Why or why not?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)