|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Pentheus' mother?
2. When the wild women scratch at the ground, what appears, in The Bacchae?
3. Who calls Dionysus the greatest god, after hearing of the wild women in The Bacchae?
4. Who does the messenger tell Creon is dead near the end of The Phoenician Women?
5. What has Dionysus done to the women of Thebes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
2. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
3. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
4. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
5. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
6. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
7. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
8. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
9. What natural occurrences does Dionysus bring upon Thebes? How does he use this to affect Pentheus?
10. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the details of the exposition in Electra from the opening speeches.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Wealth and Poverty" as it applies to the play Electra. How does this theme drive the action of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the exposition of The Phoenician Women. What is the story of Oedipus and his reign in Thebes? What has led up to the events which take place in the play?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)