|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the current ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae?
2. Whose death does the chorus sing of in the beginning of The Bacchae?
3. On what mountain are the wild women performing miracles in The Bacchae?
4. Who does Polyneices pray to for victory in the duel?
5. When the wild women scratch at the ground, what appears, in The Bacchae?
Short Essay Questions
1. What natural occurrences does Dionysus bring upon Thebes? How does he use this to affect Pentheus?
2. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
3. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
4. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
5. In the case of his death, what does Eteocles ask of Creon?
6. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
7. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
8. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
9. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
10. Who is the superior military strategist between Eteocles and Creon? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the violent scenes and battles created in the plays of Euripides? Describe the staging of the three plays studied from the collection and the battles or murders which take place in each.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motivations and actions of the two characters, Jocasta and Antigone, in The Phoenician Women. What do these characters do to propel or block the actions taking place? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Power" in the play, The Phoenician Women. Who has power in the play? Who seeks it? How does this theme affect all of the main characters?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)