|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dionysus says that Pentheus must dress how to avoid being killed by the celebrants?
2. What does Menoeceus do during the battle in The Phoenician Women?
3. What is reported that the women tore apart with bare hands in The Bacchae?
4. Who makes up the chorus in The Bacchae?
5. Dionysus is the god of ____ and fertility.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
2. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
3. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
4. How does Dionysus illustrate that Pentheus is responsible for his own fate?
5. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
6. What natural occurrences does Dionysus bring upon Thebes? How does he use this to affect Pentheus?
7. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
8. In the case of his death, what does Eteocles ask of Creon?
9. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
10. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Fate" in The Phoenician Women. How does this theme attribute to the actions of Polyneices and Eteocles? To Oedipus? To Antigone?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot structure and actions which take place in The Phoenician Women. Where is the climax? What takes place in the falling action and resolution of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the details of the exposition in Electra from the opening speeches.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)