|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what mountain are the wild women performing miracles in The Bacchae?
2. Who does Teiresius say must die to save Thebes?
3. Who is the current ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae?
4. What is the setting for the opening of The Bacchae?
5. What has Dionysus done to the women of Thebes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
2. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
3. How does Dionysus illustrate that Pentheus is responsible for his own fate?
4. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
5. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
6. Who commits the most noble act in The Phoenician Women?
7. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
8. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
9. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
10. What is Jocasta's fate in the end of The Phoenician Women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the following characters from the Bacchae and their actions: Pentheus, Agave, Cadmus, Teiresius, and Coryphaeus.
Essay Topic 2
How are the violent scenes and battles created in the plays of Euripides? Describe the staging of the three plays studied from the collection and the battles or murders which take place in each.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of The Bacchae. What is different about this protagonist as opposed to the protagonists in the previous two plays? What are his objectives and actions in the play?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)