|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been gossiping that Dionysus is NOT the son of Zeus?
2. Who does Teiresius say must die to save Thebes?
3. In what city-state is The Bacchae set?
4. What does Dionysus strike down with lightning?
5. Who did Zeus hide Dionysus from as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
2. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
3. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
4. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
5. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
6. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
7. What is Jocasta's fate in the end of The Phoenician Women?
8. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
9. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
10. In the case of his death, what does Eteocles ask of Creon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the violent scenes and battles created in the plays of Euripides? Describe the staging of the three plays studied from the collection and the battles or murders which take place in each.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the details of the exposition in Electra from the opening speeches.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Wealth and Poverty" as it applies to the play Electra. How does this theme drive the action of the characters?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)