|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In The Bacchae, the chorus sings that ______ men are punished by the gods.
2. What is the setting for the opening of The Bacchae?
3. In what city-state is The Bacchae set?
4. What natural disaster does Dionysus call forth in The Bacchae?
5. Who welcomes Dionysus after he escapes the stable?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
2. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
3. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
4. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
5. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
6. Who commits the most noble act in The Phoenician Women?
7. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
8. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
9. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
10. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the act of war in the face of justification in The Phoenician Women. Is justification cause for war? Are the two main characters justified in destroying their homeland? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Defiance Against the Gods" in The Bacchae. What is Euripides' message with this theme? What is society's belief during this time? How does this theme justify the actions of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot line of the play, Electra. What actions are taken to create the "Rising Action," "Climax," "Falling Action," and "Resolution"?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)