|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Antigone planned to wed?
2. Who is exiled at the end of The Phoenician Women?
3. Pentheus has heard of a trickster from where, claiming that Dionysus is a god?
4. How does Dionysus appear when he enters?
5. Who does Polyneices pray to for victory in the duel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
2. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
3. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
4. Who is the superior military strategist between Eteocles and Creon? Why?
5. In the case of his death, what does Eteocles ask of Creon?
6. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
7. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
8. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
9. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
10. Who commits the most noble act in The Phoenician Women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Defiance Against the Gods" in The Bacchae. What is Euripides' message with this theme? What is society's belief during this time? How does this theme justify the actions of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Power" in the play, The Phoenician Women. Who has power in the play? Who seeks it? How does this theme affect all of the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of the chorus in Electra. Who are they made up of? Who do they side with during the action? In what ways do they perform?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)