|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been gossiping that Dionysus is NOT the son of Zeus?
2. Who is Dionysus' mother?
3. Who attacks with spears, but is fought off by the Thebian army in The Phoenician Women?
4. How does Eteocles suggest they attack the opposing army?
5. On what mountain are the wild women performing miracles in The Bacchae?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
2. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
3. What is Jocasta's fate in the end of The Phoenician Women?
4. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
5. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
6. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
7. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
8. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
9. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
10. Who commits the most noble act in The Phoenician Women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the character, Orestes? What is his relationship to Electra? What has he come to Argos to do? What obstacles does he face along his journey?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Fate" in The Phoenician Women. How does this theme attribute to the actions of Polyneices and Eteocles? To Oedipus? To Antigone?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the exposition of The Phoenician Women. What is the story of Oedipus and his reign in Thebes? What has led up to the events which take place in the play?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)