|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the wild women scratch at the ground, what appears, in The Bacchae?
2. Who did Zeus hide Dionysus from as a child?
3. Dionysus says that Pentheus must dress how to avoid being killed by the celebrants?
4. Who is the blind prophet in The Phoenician Women?
5. Who does Teiresius say must die to save Thebes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
2. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
3. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
4. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
5. In the case of his death, what does Eteocles ask of Creon?
6. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
7. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
8. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
9. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
10. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Electra. What is her lineage? Where is she now? What are her actions and objectives in the play?
Essay Topic 2
How are the violent scenes and battles created in the plays of Euripides? Describe the staging of the three plays studied from the collection and the battles or murders which take place in each.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the exposition of The Phoenician Women. What is the story of Oedipus and his reign in Thebes? What has led up to the events which take place in the play?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)