Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orestes fears being tried for what?
2. Who does Orestes pretend to be when he meets his sister?
3. Where does Agamemnon go to fight?
4. What does Aegisthus throw on the altar when with Orestes?
5. What does Electra have upon hear head when she first enters the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
2. Who is the superior military strategist between Eteocles and Creon? Why?
3. Why is Dionysus not at fault in The Bacchae?
4. What does Orestes comment on about riches regarding the farmer? What prompts this?
5. What does Orestes say of Electra's husband (as he pretends to be the messenger)?
6. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
7. Why do the brothers in The Phoenician Women fight against fate?
8. Who recognizes Orestes?
9. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
10. What does Electra do when she first sees Orestes?
Essay Topic 1
How are the violent scenes and battles created in the plays of Euripides? Describe the staging of the three plays studied from the collection and the battles or murders which take place in each.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Defiance Against the Gods" in The Bacchae. What is Euripides' message with this theme? What is society's belief during this time? How does this theme justify the actions of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the details of the exposition in Electra from the opening speeches.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)