|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city-state does Clytemnestra rule?
2. By what is Orestes recognized?
3. When Oedipus learns the truth about his background, what does he do?
4. Who has a plan for how to kill Clytemnestra?
5. Who does the chorus sing of, that went with Agamemnon to war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
2. What is Electra doing when she first enters the play? What does her farmer chide her for?
3. How does Electra react to the strangers coming into her home?
4. What led to Oedipus' downfall?
5. How does Electra compare her situation to her mother's in part one of Electra, when speaking to the messenger (Orestes)?
6. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
7. What does Electra do when she first sees Orestes?
8. Who delivers the final judgment in Electra? What is it?
9. The end of the Electra reveals the author's (and likely the society's) point of view. What is it?
10. Why do the brothers in The Phoenician Women fight against fate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Electra. What is her lineage? Where is she now? What are her actions and objectives in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot structure and actions which take place in The Phoenician Women. Where is the climax? What takes place in the falling action and resolution of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the act of war in the face of justification in The Phoenician Women. Is justification cause for war? Are the two main characters justified in destroying their homeland? Why or why not?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)