|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Agamemnon's son?
2. Who says our daily food is a small matter in Electra?
3. Who is Electra married to?
4. Who married Electra to her current husband?
5. Who says that good character cannot be judged by riches, poverty or courage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Antigone's entrance in The Phoenician Women used as an aid to the audience?
2. Who delivers the final judgment in Electra? What is it?
3. What does Orestes ask of the old man at the cottage?
4. Who are the Phoenician Women? What are their feelings in the play?
5. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
6. Why does the servant say Orestes won't be killed by approaching Aegisthus?
7. How does Clytemnestra's fate show how punishment for women is different than for men?
8. How does Electra react to the strangers coming into her home?
9. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
10. How are the deaths in the end of Electra received by the characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motivations and actions of the two characters, Jocasta and Antigone, in The Phoenician Women. What do these characters do to propel or block the actions taking place? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Electra. What is her lineage? Where is she now? What are her actions and objectives in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Revenge" in the play, Electra. How does this theme carry the action of the play? What characters embody this theme?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)