|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Laius' son?
2. In The Phoenician Women, who has been living in Argos and marries a woman there?
3. Who is Agamemnon's son?
4. When Orestes returns, who does Electra praise for his faithful friendship?
5. Who does Electra tell that her husband is alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Electra do when she first sees Orestes?
2. How does Electra react to the strangers coming into her home?
3. How are the deaths in the end of Electra received by the characters?
4. What of Electra's demeanor in Part Three builds the tension of the play? What does she feel when she hears word from the messenger?
5. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
6. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
7. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
8. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
9. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
10. What does Electra tell the messenger (Orestes) to relay to him about returning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Fate" in The Phoenician Women. How does this theme attribute to the actions of Polyneices and Eteocles? To Oedipus? To Antigone?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Defiance Against the Gods" in The Bacchae. What is Euripides' message with this theme? What is society's belief during this time? How does this theme justify the actions of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motivations and actions of the two characters, Jocasta and Antigone, in The Phoenician Women. What do these characters do to propel or block the actions taking place? Are they successful?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)