|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Agamemnon gone to war?
2. Who does Electra explain to her guests the servant is?
3. Who is Agamemnon's son?
4. What does the chorus do in Electra when Orestes is discovered?
5. Who is Clytemnestra's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What of Electra's demeanor in Part Three builds the tension of the play? What does she feel when she hears word from the messenger?
2. How does Electra compare her situation to her mother's in part one of Electra, when speaking to the messenger (Orestes)?
3. What is the irony of Electra's stance on woman's subservience?
4. Who delivers the final judgment in Electra? What is it?
5. What led to Oedipus' downfall?
6. What is the central conflict in The Phoenician Women?
7. What is Electra doing when she first enters the play? What does her farmer chide her for?
8. Who are the Phoenician Women? What are their feelings in the play?
9. Who tells Electra of the upcoming feast? Why does she refuse to go?
10. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the use of imagery, symbolism, and motif in the play "The Bacchae." Define the terms and give examples of each from the text and what they represent.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of the chorus in Electra. Who are they made up of? Who do they side with during the action? In what ways do they perform?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot line of the play, Electra. What actions are taken to create the "Rising Action," "Climax," "Falling Action," and "Resolution"?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)