|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orestes fears being tried for what?
2. Who does Orestes pretend to be when he meets his sister?
3. Where does Agamemnon go to fight?
4. What does Aegisthus throw on the altar when with Orestes?
5. What does Electra have upon hear head when she first enters the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
2. Who is the superior military strategist between Eteocles and Creon? Why?
3. Why is Dionysus not at fault in The Bacchae?
4. What does Orestes comment on about riches regarding the farmer? What prompts this?
5. What does Orestes say of Electra's husband (as he pretends to be the messenger)?
6. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
7. Why do the brothers in The Phoenician Women fight against fate?
8. Who recognizes Orestes?
9. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
10. What does Electra do when she first sees Orestes?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist of The Bacchae. What is different about this protagonist as opposed to the protagonists in the previous two plays? What are his objectives and actions in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the use of imagery, symbolism, and motif in the play "The Bacchae." Define the terms and give examples of each from the text and what they represent.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Fate" in The Phoenician Women. How does this theme attribute to the actions of Polyneices and Eteocles? To Oedipus? To Antigone?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)