|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Clytemnestra claim's she only avenged whose death?
2. Whose servant arrives with food for Electra and her guests?
3. Who does Electra NOT want the body to be seen by?
4. What has Oedipus outwitted in The Phoenician Women?
5. How did Orestes attain the mark the servant speaks of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who brings Electra food for their guests? What does he bring? What is his connection to Orestes?
2. The end of the Electra reveals the author's (and likely the society's) point of view. What is it?
3. What does Electra do when she first sees Orestes?
4. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
5. Who delivers the final judgment in Electra? What is it?
6. How does Electra react to the strangers coming into her home?
7. What does the farmer chide Electra for as she speaks to Orestes in Part Two of Electra?
8. What is the central conflict in The Phoenician Women?
9. Who recognizes Orestes?
10. What led to Oedipus' downfall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the exposition provided by Dionysus in the beginning of The Bacchae. What has this character come here to do? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the exposition of The Phoenician Women. What is the story of Oedipus and his reign in Thebes? What has led up to the events which take place in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Defiance Against the Gods" in The Bacchae. What is Euripides' message with this theme? What is society's belief during this time? How does this theme justify the actions of the play?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)