|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Electra ask to hide the body of Aegisthus?
2. Who does Orestes pretend to be when he meets his sister?
3. What is the scene set before in The Phoenician Women?
4. Electra condemns all men who are what to their wives?
5. Who does Oedipus marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the central conflict in The Phoenician Women?
2. The end of the Electra reveals the author's (and likely the society's) point of view. What is it?
3. What does Electra tell the messenger (Orestes) to relay to him about returning?
4. How does Clytemnestra's fate show how punishment for women is different than for men?
5. How does Electra react to the strangers coming into her home?
6. Who recognizes Orestes?
7. Who tells Electra of the upcoming feast? Why does she refuse to go?
8. What led to Oedipus' downfall?
9. How are the deaths in the end of Electra received by the characters?
10. What is Electra doing when she first enters the play? What does her farmer chide her for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the act of war in the face of justification in The Phoenician Women. Is justification cause for war? Are the two main characters justified in destroying their homeland? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the exposition provided by Dionysus in the beginning of The Bacchae. What has this character come here to do? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How are the violent scenes and battles created in the plays of Euripides? Describe the staging of the three plays studied from the collection and the battles or murders which take place in each.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)