|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orestes tells Electra that he's having second thoughts about killing whom?
2. Who was Clytemnestra's first husband?
3. Who is Laius' son?
4. What food and provisions are brought to Electra for her and her guests?
5. Who recognizes Orestes in the cottage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
2. What does Orestes say of Electra's husband (as he pretends to be the messenger)?
3. Why do the brothers in The Phoenician Women fight against fate?
4. What is Electra doing when she first enters the play? What does her farmer chide her for?
5. How does Electra compare her situation to her mother's in part one of Electra, when speaking to the messenger (Orestes)?
6. What does Orestes ask of the old man at the cottage?
7. Who delivers the final judgment in Electra? What is it?
8. What is the central conflict in The Phoenician Women?
9. Who recognizes Orestes?
10. How does Clytemnestra's fate show how punishment for women is different than for men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the details of the exposition in Electra from the opening speeches.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Defiance Against the Gods" in The Bacchae. What is Euripides' message with this theme? What is society's belief during this time? How does this theme justify the actions of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Power" in the play, The Phoenician Women. Who has power in the play? Who seeks it? How does this theme affect all of the main characters?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)