|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orestes tells Electra that he's having second thoughts about killing whom?
2. Who makes up the chorus in Electra?
3. Who does Electra tell her husband the messengers are from?
4. Clytemnestra claim's she only avenged whose death?
5. Who has called a truce to attempt to make peace in The Phoenician Women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the central conflict in The Phoenician Women?
2. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
3. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
4. Who tells Electra of the upcoming feast? Why does she refuse to go?
5. Who brings Electra food for their guests? What does he bring? What is his connection to Orestes?
6. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
7. Why do the brothers in The Phoenician Women fight against fate?
8. How is the death of Aegisthus revealed? What effect does this have on the audience?
9. How are the deaths in the end of Electra received by the characters?
10. What led to Oedipus' downfall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the following characters from the Bacchae and their actions: Pentheus, Agave, Cadmus, Teiresius, and Coryphaeus.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motivations and actions of the two characters, Jocasta and Antigone, in The Phoenician Women. What do these characters do to propel or block the actions taking place? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the exposition of The Phoenician Women. What is the story of Oedipus and his reign in Thebes? What has led up to the events which take place in the play?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)