|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Orestes tell Aegisthus he is going to make a sacrifice for?
2. Who kills Laius in The Phoenician Women?
3. Who does the chorus sing of, that went with Agamemnon to war?
4. Electra condemns all men who are what to their wives?
5. Who does Orestes tell Aegisthus that he and his party are?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orestes comment on about riches regarding the farmer? What prompts this?
2. What does Electra do when she first sees Orestes?
3. What happened to Agamemnon? What does the exposition tell us happened with Orestes and Electra?
4. How is Antigone's entrance in The Phoenician Women used as an aid to the audience?
5. What does Orestes say of Electra's husband (as he pretends to be the messenger)?
6. The end of the Electra reveals the author's (and likely the society's) point of view. What is it?
7. Who recognizes Orestes?
8. How does Electra compare her situation to her mother's in part one of Electra, when speaking to the messenger (Orestes)?
9. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
10. What does the farmer chide Electra for as she speaks to Orestes in Part Two of Electra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the use of imagery, symbolism, and motif in the play "The Bacchae." Define the terms and give examples of each from the text and what they represent.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the protagonist of The Bacchae. What is different about this protagonist as opposed to the protagonists in the previous two plays? What are his objectives and actions in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Wealth and Poverty" as it applies to the play Electra. How does this theme drive the action of the characters?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)