|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orestes ask the old servant once he is discovered?
2. What does Aegisthus take to predict the future?
3. Who says our daily food is a small matter in Electra?
4. What has Oedipus outwitted in The Phoenician Women?
5. Who does Electra tell her husband the messengers are from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orestes say of Electra's husband (as he pretends to be the messenger)?
2. What is the central conflict in The Phoenician Women?
3. What is the irony of Electra's stance on woman's subservience?
4. Who are the Phoenician Women? What are their feelings in the play?
5. What of Electra's demeanor in Part Three builds the tension of the play? What does she feel when she hears word from the messenger?
6. What does Electra tell the messenger (Orestes) to relay to him about returning?
7. What does Electra do when she first sees Orestes?
8. What is Electra doing when she first enters the play? What does her farmer chide her for?
9. Why does the servant say Orestes won't be killed by approaching Aegisthus?
10. How is Antigone's entrance in The Phoenician Women used as an aid to the audience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the following characters from the Bacchae and their actions: Pentheus, Agave, Cadmus, Teiresius, and Coryphaeus.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the protagonist of The Bacchae. What is different about this protagonist as opposed to the protagonists in the previous two plays? What are his objectives and actions in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot line of the play, Electra. What actions are taken to create the "Rising Action," "Climax," "Falling Action," and "Resolution"?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)