|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Clytemnestra's first husband?
2. Who kills Agamemnon?
3. When Orestes returns, who does Electra praise for his faithful friendship?
4. What does Electra's husband chastise her for doing in the beginning of Electra?
5. By what is Orestes recognized?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
2. What does Electra tell the messenger (Orestes) to relay to him about returning?
3. How is the death of Aegisthus revealed? What effect does this have on the audience?
4. What is the central conflict in The Phoenician Women?
5. Who are the Phoenician Women? What are their feelings in the play?
6. How is Antigone's entrance in The Phoenician Women used as an aid to the audience?
7. Why and with whom has Orestes returned to Argos? Where do we first find him in the play Electra?
8. What is the irony of Electra's stance on woman's subservience?
9. How does Electra compare her situation to her mother's in part one of Electra, when speaking to the messenger (Orestes)?
10. The end of the Electra reveals the author's (and likely the society's) point of view. What is it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Fate" in The Phoenician Women. How does this theme attribute to the actions of Polyneices and Eteocles? To Oedipus? To Antigone?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Defiance Against the Gods" in The Bacchae. What is Euripides' message with this theme? What is society's belief during this time? How does this theme justify the actions of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the exposition of The Phoenician Women. What is the story of Oedipus and his reign in Thebes? What has led up to the events which take place in the play?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)