|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the scene set before in The Phoenician Women?
2. What does Electra's husband chastise her for doing in the beginning of Electra?
3. Who does Electra tell that her husband is alive?
4. Who does Aegisthus beg to protect him and destroy his enemies?
5. Orestes fears being tried for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
2. How is the death of Aegisthus revealed? What effect does this have on the audience?
3. Why and with whom has Orestes returned to Argos? Where do we first find him in the play Electra?
4. Why does the servant say Orestes won't be killed by approaching Aegisthus?
5. Who delivers the final judgment in Electra? What is it?
6. How does Electra react to the strangers coming into her home?
7. What happened to Agamemnon? What does the exposition tell us happened with Orestes and Electra?
8. What does Electra tell the messenger (Orestes) to relay to him about returning?
9. What does Orestes comment on about riches regarding the farmer? What prompts this?
10. What does Orestes ask of the old man at the cottage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the character, Orestes? What is his relationship to Electra? What has he come to Argos to do? What obstacles does he face along his journey?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the act of war in the face of justification in The Phoenician Women. Is justification cause for war? Are the two main characters justified in destroying their homeland? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Fate" in The Phoenician Women. How does this theme attribute to the actions of Polyneices and Eteocles? To Oedipus? To Antigone?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)