|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Electra condemns all men who confuse what with power?
2. When Orestes returns, who does Electra praise for his faithful friendship?
3. Who is Agamemnon's son?
4. Whose marriage in Electra has NOT been consummated?
5. Who becomes Clytemnestra's lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who recognizes Orestes?
2. What is the central conflict in The Phoenician Women?
3. Why and with whom has Orestes returned to Argos? Where do we first find him in the play Electra?
4. What happened to Agamemnon? What does the exposition tell us happened with Orestes and Electra?
5. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
6. What of Electra's demeanor in Part Three builds the tension of the play? What does she feel when she hears word from the messenger?
7. What does Orestes say of Electra's husband (as he pretends to be the messenger)?
8. What led to Oedipus' downfall?
9. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
10. Who delivers the final judgment in Electra? What is it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the following characters from the Bacchae and their actions: Pentheus, Agave, Cadmus, Teiresius, and Coryphaeus.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the exposition of The Phoenician Women. What is the story of Oedipus and his reign in Thebes? What has led up to the events which take place in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of The Bacchae. What is different about this protagonist as opposed to the protagonists in the previous two plays? What are his objectives and actions in the play?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)