|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Electra condemns all men who are what to their wives?
2. Who is Clytemnestra's daughter?
3. Who does Orestes pretend to be when he meets his sister?
4. When Oedipus learns the truth about his background, what does he do?
5. Who becomes Clytemnestra's lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orestes comment on about riches regarding the farmer? What prompts this?
2. Who tells Electra of the upcoming feast? Why does she refuse to go?
3. Who are the Phoenician Women? What are their feelings in the play?
4. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
5. What happened to Agamemnon? What does the exposition tell us happened with Orestes and Electra?
6. What does Orestes say of Electra's husband (as he pretends to be the messenger)?
7. What does the farmer chide Electra for as she speaks to Orestes in Part Two of Electra?
8. What is Electra doing when she first enters the play? What does her farmer chide her for?
9. What led to Oedipus' downfall?
10. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Electra. What is her lineage? Where is she now? What are her actions and objectives in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot structure and actions which take place in The Phoenician Women. Where is the climax? What takes place in the falling action and resolution of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of imagery, symbolism, and motif in the play "The Bacchae." Define the terms and give examples of each from the text and what they represent.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)