Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orestes fears being tried for what?
2. Who does Orestes pretend to be when he meets his sister?
3. Where does Agamemnon go to fight?
4. What does Aegisthus throw on the altar when with Orestes?
5. What does Electra have upon hear head when she first enters the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
2. Who is the superior military strategist between Eteocles and Creon? Why?
3. Why is Dionysus not at fault in The Bacchae?
4. What does Orestes comment on about riches regarding the farmer? What prompts this?
5. What does Orestes say of Electra's husband (as he pretends to be the messenger)?
6. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
7. Why do the brothers in The Phoenician Women fight against fate?
8. Who recognizes Orestes?
9. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
10. What does Electra do when she first sees Orestes?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the act of war in the face of justification in The Phoenician Women. Is justification cause for war? Are the two main characters justified in destroying their homeland? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motivations and actions of the two characters, Jocasta and Antigone, in The Phoenician Women. What do these characters do to propel or block the actions taking place? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Power" in the play, The Phoenician Women. Who has power in the play? Who seeks it? How does this theme affect all of the main characters?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)