|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the wife of Laius?
2. Who walks around Orestes looking at him in the cottage?
3. What has Orestes returned to do in Electra?
4. How many children does Oedipus have?
5. What does Laius do with his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who delivers the final judgment in Electra? What is it?
2. How does Clytemnestra's fate show how punishment for women is different than for men?
3. What does Orestes say of Electra's husband (as he pretends to be the messenger)?
4. Why do the brothers in The Phoenician Women fight against fate?
5. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
6. What is Electra doing when she first enters the play? What does her farmer chide her for?
7. What is the irony of Electra's stance on woman's subservience?
8. What does Orestes ask of the old man at the cottage?
9. What does Electra tell the messenger (Orestes) to relay to him about returning?
10. What is the central conflict in The Phoenician Women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Fate" in The Phoenician Women. How does this theme attribute to the actions of Polyneices and Eteocles? To Oedipus? To Antigone?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Wealth and Poverty" as it applies to the play Electra. How does this theme drive the action of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the act of war in the face of justification in The Phoenician Women. Is justification cause for war? Are the two main characters justified in destroying their homeland? Why or why not?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)