|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Electra ask her husband to get for them?
2. In what city-state does Clytemnestra rule?
3. Who is Laius' son?
4. Who has called a truce to attempt to make peace in The Phoenician Women?
5. Who does Orestes say must be repaid for his kindness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who tells Electra of the upcoming feast? Why does she refuse to go?
2. Why and with whom has Orestes returned to Argos? Where do we first find him in the play Electra?
3. What does Orestes ask of the old man at the cottage?
4. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
5. What is the irony of Electra's stance on woman's subservience?
6. What does Electra tell the messenger (Orestes) to relay to him about returning?
7. The end of the Electra reveals the author's (and likely the society's) point of view. What is it?
8. How does Electra compare her situation to her mother's in part one of Electra, when speaking to the messenger (Orestes)?
9. Who brings Electra food for their guests? What does he bring? What is his connection to Orestes?
10. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Defiance Against the Gods" in The Bacchae. What is Euripides' message with this theme? What is society's belief during this time? How does this theme justify the actions of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot line of the play, Electra. What actions are taken to create the "Rising Action," "Climax," "Falling Action," and "Resolution"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Fate" in The Phoenician Women. How does this theme attribute to the actions of Polyneices and Eteocles? To Oedipus? To Antigone?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)