|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Electra chide her husband for after the messenger has appeared?
2. Who enters with Antigone in her first entrance in The Phoenician Women?
3. Who does Electra say was NOT properly buried?
4. What is Oedipus awarded for lifting the torment on Thebes?
5. Clytemnestra claim's she only avenged whose death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who delivers the final judgment in Electra? What is it?
2. What does Electra do when she first sees Orestes?
3. Who brings Electra food for their guests? What does he bring? What is his connection to Orestes?
4. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
5. How are the deaths in the end of Electra received by the characters?
6. What led to Oedipus' downfall?
7. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
8. What is the central conflict in The Phoenician Women?
9. Who tells Electra of the upcoming feast? Why does she refuse to go?
10. Who are the Phoenician Women? What are their feelings in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Wealth and Poverty" as it applies to the play Electra. How does this theme drive the action of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
How are the violent scenes and battles created in the plays of Euripides? Describe the staging of the three plays studied from the collection and the battles or murders which take place in each.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the act of war in the face of justification in The Phoenician Women. Is justification cause for war? Are the two main characters justified in destroying their homeland? Why or why not?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)