|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Electra condemns all men who are what to their wives?
2. Who is Clytemnestra's daughter?
3. By what is Orestes recognized?
4. Who does Orestes say must be repaid for his kindness?
5. What food and provisions are brought to Electra for her and her guests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the central conflict in The Phoenician Women?
2. Who recognizes Orestes?
3. How does Clytemnestra's fate show how punishment for women is different than for men?
4. What is the irony of Electra's stance on woman's subservience?
5. How is the death of Aegisthus revealed? What effect does this have on the audience?
6. What happened to Agamemnon? What does the exposition tell us happened with Orestes and Electra?
7. Why and with whom has Orestes returned to Argos? Where do we first find him in the play Electra?
8. How is Antigone's entrance in The Phoenician Women used as an aid to the audience?
9. What does Electra tell the messenger (Orestes) to relay to him about returning?
10. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the exposition provided by Dionysus in the beginning of The Bacchae. What has this character come here to do? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Power" in the play, The Phoenician Women. Who has power in the play? Who seeks it? How does this theme affect all of the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Fate" in The Phoenician Women. How does this theme attribute to the actions of Polyneices and Eteocles? To Oedipus? To Antigone?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)