|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Orestes returns in the end of Electra, what does he offer his sister to do with what she pleases?
2. For what does Aegisthus offer Orestes party water?
3. Orestes tells Electra that he's having second thoughts about killing whom?
4. Who does Electra NOT want the body to be seen by?
5. Clytemnestra claim's she only avenged whose death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
2. How does Electra react to the strangers coming into her home?
3. Why and with whom has Orestes returned to Argos? Where do we first find him in the play Electra?
4. Why does the servant say Orestes won't be killed by approaching Aegisthus?
5. Who tells Electra of the upcoming feast? Why does she refuse to go?
6. What does Orestes ask of the old man at the cottage?
7. What happened to Agamemnon? What does the exposition tell us happened with Orestes and Electra?
8. Who delivers the final judgment in Electra? What is it?
9. How does Electra compare her situation to her mother's in part one of Electra, when speaking to the messenger (Orestes)?
10. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Defiance Against the Gods" in The Bacchae. What is Euripides' message with this theme? What is society's belief during this time? How does this theme justify the actions of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the exposition of The Phoenician Women. What is the story of Oedipus and his reign in Thebes? What has led up to the events which take place in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot line of the play, Electra. What actions are taken to create the "Rising Action," "Climax," "Falling Action," and "Resolution"?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)