|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters with Antigone in her first entrance in The Phoenician Women?
2. Who does Electra tell her husband the messengers are from?
3. Who does Electra NOT want the body to be seen by?
4. What is the scene set before in The Phoenician Women?
5. Who is Agamemnon's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orestes comment on about riches regarding the farmer? What prompts this?
2. What is the irony of Electra's stance on woman's subservience?
3. What happened to Agamemnon? What does the exposition tell us happened with Orestes and Electra?
4. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
5. Who commits the most noble act in The Phoenician Women?
6. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
7. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
8. Who is the superior military strategist between Eteocles and Creon? Why?
9. Who tells Electra of the upcoming feast? Why does she refuse to go?
10. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Polyneices and Eteocles in The Phoenician Women. How are these characters related? How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Defiance Against the Gods" in The Bacchae. What is Euripides' message with this theme? What is society's belief during this time? How does this theme justify the actions of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the exposition provided by Dionysus in the beginning of The Bacchae. What has this character come here to do? Why?
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)