|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Orestes pretend to be when he meets his sister?
2. What food and provisions are brought to Electra for her and her guests?
3. Who does Electra ask to hide the body of Aegisthus?
4. Orestes fears being tried for what?
5. What does Electra's husband say that it's improper for Electra to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the superior military strategist between Eteocles and Creon? Why?
2. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
3. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
4. What happened to Agamemnon? What does the exposition tell us happened with Orestes and Electra?
5. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
6. Who recognizes Orestes?
7. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
8. Who brings Electra food for their guests? What does he bring? What is his connection to Orestes?
9. How is Antigone's entrance in The Phoenician Women used as an aid to the audience?
10. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist of The Bacchae. What is different about this protagonist as opposed to the protagonists in the previous two plays? What are his objectives and actions in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motivations and actions of the two characters, Jocasta and Antigone, in The Phoenician Women. What do these characters do to propel or block the actions taking place? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Wealth and Poverty" as it applies to the play Electra. How does this theme drive the action of the characters?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)