|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose servant arrives with food for Electra and her guests?
2. Who does Aegisthus want to kill for fear of revenge?
3. What does the chorus do in Electra when Orestes is discovered?
4. What does the chorus inform Electra of in the beginning of Electra?
5. What has Oedipus outwitted in The Phoenician Women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the servant say Orestes won't be killed by approaching Aegisthus?
2. What is Electra doing when she first enters the play? What does her farmer chide her for?
3. What does Electra do when she first sees Orestes?
4. The end of the Electra reveals the author's (and likely the society's) point of view. What is it?
5. How are the deaths in the end of Electra received by the characters?
6. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
7. Who tells Electra of the upcoming feast? Why does she refuse to go?
8. What does Orestes comment on about riches regarding the farmer? What prompts this?
9. How is the death of Aegisthus revealed? What effect does this have on the audience?
10. How does Electra react to the strangers coming into her home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the exposition of The Phoenician Women. What is the story of Oedipus and his reign in Thebes? What has led up to the events which take place in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Defiance Against the Gods" in The Bacchae. What is Euripides' message with this theme? What is society's belief during this time? How does this theme justify the actions of the play?
Essay Topic 3
How are the violent scenes and battles created in the plays of Euripides? Describe the staging of the three plays studied from the collection and the battles or murders which take place in each.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)