|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chorus do in Electra when Orestes is discovered?
2. Who does Electra say was NOT properly buried?
3. Who does Electra ask to hide the body of Aegisthus?
4. Who is Laius' son?
5. How many children does Oedipus have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What of Electra's demeanor in Part Three builds the tension of the play? What does she feel when she hears word from the messenger?
2. What does Orestes ask of the old man at the cottage?
3. Who delivers the final judgment in Electra? What is it?
4. How is Antigone's entrance in The Phoenician Women used as an aid to the audience?
5. What does the farmer chide Electra for as she speaks to Orestes in Part Two of Electra?
6. What does Orestes say of Electra's husband (as he pretends to be the messenger)?
7. What does Electra do when she first sees Orestes?
8. What does Electra tell the messenger (Orestes) to relay to him about returning?
9. Why and with whom has Orestes returned to Argos? Where do we first find him in the play Electra?
10. How is the death of Aegisthus revealed? What effect does this have on the audience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the following characters from the Bacchae and their actions: Pentheus, Agave, Cadmus, Teiresius, and Coryphaeus.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the act of war in the face of justification in The Phoenician Women. Is justification cause for war? Are the two main characters justified in destroying their homeland? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Revenge" in the play, Electra. How does this theme carry the action of the play? What characters embody this theme?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)