|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Clytemnestra claim's she only avenged whose death?
2. What does Aegisthus take to predict the future?
3. Who does Orestes tell Aegisthus that he and his party are?
4. Orestes tells Electra that he's having second thoughts about killing whom?
5. Who has Agamemnon brought back as a concubine from the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
2. Who tells Electra of the upcoming feast? Why does she refuse to go?
3. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
4. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
5. How is Pentheus' death described?
6. Why does the servant say Orestes won't be killed by approaching Aegisthus?
7. Who recognizes Orestes?
8. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
9. What does Electra tell the messenger (Orestes) to relay to him about returning?
10. Who delivers the final judgment in Electra? What is it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the details of the exposition in Electra from the opening speeches.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the act of war in the face of justification in The Phoenician Women. Is justification cause for war? Are the two main characters justified in destroying their homeland? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plot structure and actions which take place in The Phoenician Women. Where is the climax? What takes place in the falling action and resolution of the play?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)