|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Electra NOT want the body to be seen by?
2. How did Orestes attain the mark the servant speaks of?
3. Who does Orestes tell Aegisthus he is going to make a sacrifice for?
4. What does Aegisthus throw on the altar when with Orestes?
5. What does the chorus do in Electra when Orestes is discovered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What of Electra's demeanor in Part Three builds the tension of the play? What does she feel when she hears word from the messenger?
2. Who recognizes Orestes?
3. How is the death of Aegisthus revealed? What effect does this have on the audience?
4. How does Electra compare her situation to her mother's in part one of Electra, when speaking to the messenger (Orestes)?
5. Why does the servant say Orestes won't be killed by approaching Aegisthus?
6. What does Orestes comment on about riches regarding the farmer? What prompts this?
7. What does Orestes say of Electra's husband (as he pretends to be the messenger)?
8. What is the central conflict in The Phoenician Women?
9. Who tells Electra of the upcoming feast? Why does she refuse to go?
10. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the exposition provided by Dionysus in the beginning of The Bacchae. What has this character come here to do? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the exposition of The Phoenician Women. What is the story of Oedipus and his reign in Thebes? What has led up to the events which take place in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the details of the exposition in Electra from the opening speeches.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)