|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What goddess will be celebrated in the beginning of Electra?
2. Who tells Laius NOT to father a child?
3. Who is killed in sacrifice for the Trojan War?
4. Who does Orestes pretend to be when he meets his sister?
5. What does Electra's husband chastise her for doing in the beginning of Electra?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Phoenician Women? What are their feelings in the play?
2. What does Electra do when she first sees Orestes?
3. What happened to Agamemnon? What does the exposition tell us happened with Orestes and Electra?
4. What does Electra tell the messenger (Orestes) to relay to him about returning?
5. How does Electra react to the strangers coming into her home?
6. What is Electra doing when she first enters the play? What does her farmer chide her for?
7. What does Orestes ask of the old man at the cottage?
8. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
9. What does Orestes comment on about riches regarding the farmer? What prompts this?
10. The end of the Electra reveals the author's (and likely the society's) point of view. What is it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Fate" in The Phoenician Women. How does this theme attribute to the actions of Polyneices and Eteocles? To Oedipus? To Antigone?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot line of the play, Electra. What actions are taken to create the "Rising Action," "Climax," "Falling Action," and "Resolution"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motivations and actions of the two characters, Jocasta and Antigone, in The Phoenician Women. What do these characters do to propel or block the actions taking place? Are they successful?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)