|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orestes tells Electra that he's having second thoughts about killing whom?
2. What does Laius do with his son?
3. Who does Orestes tell Aegisthus he is going to make a sacrifice for?
4. Who kills Agamemnon?
5. What has Oedipus outwitted in The Phoenician Women?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Electra compare her situation to her mother's in part one of Electra, when speaking to the messenger (Orestes)?
2. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
3. How does Electra react to the strangers coming into her home?
4. What of Electra's demeanor in Part Three builds the tension of the play? What does she feel when she hears word from the messenger?
5. Who brings Electra food for their guests? What does he bring? What is his connection to Orestes?
6. Why do the brothers in The Phoenician Women fight against fate?
7. What is the irony of Electra's stance on woman's subservience?
8. What does Orestes say of Electra's husband (as he pretends to be the messenger)?
9. What does the farmer chide Electra for as she speaks to Orestes in Part Two of Electra?
10. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the use of imagery, symbolism, and motif in the play "The Bacchae." Define the terms and give examples of each from the text and what they represent.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the exposition of The Phoenician Women. What is the story of Oedipus and his reign in Thebes? What has led up to the events which take place in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Revenge" in the play, Electra. How does this theme carry the action of the play? What characters embody this theme?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)