|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who retreats when realizing the gods are against him?
2. Who does Eteocles ask Creon to speak to of the coming war?
3. Who welcomes Dionysus after he escapes the stable?
4. Who is the blind prophet in The Phoenician Women?
(a) The pedagogue.
5. Eteocles tells Creon that Polyneices will do what?
(a) Give up.
(b) Wage war.
(c) Return in a month.
(d) Take the crown.
Short Answer Questions
1. What natural disaster does Dionysus call forth in The Bacchae?
2. What is reported that the women tore apart with bare hands in The Bacchae?
3. Who slips on a stone, and his leg is exposed during the duel?
4. What has Dionysus done to the women of Thebes?
5. How many captains does Creon suggest using to ambush the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
2. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
3. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
4. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
5. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
6. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
7. What natural occurrences does Dionysus bring upon Thebes? How does he use this to affect Pentheus?
8. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
9. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
10. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)