|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eteocles decrees anyone who buries his brother in Thebes be what?
2. What does Menoeceus do during the battle in The Phoenician Women?
(a) Kills Aegisthus.
(b) Kills Creon.
(c) Kills Teiresius.
(d) Sacrifices himself.
3. What is the setting for the opening of The Bacchae?
(a) Apollo's shrine.
(b) A Dionysian altar.
(c) A farm house.
(d) A palace.
4. How many gates surround Thebes?
5. Whose death does the chorus sing of in the beginning of The Bacchae?
Short Answer Questions
1. What natural disaster does Dionysus call forth in The Bacchae?
2. In the Phoenician Women, who does Ares seek revenge against?
3. Who does Eteocles pray to for victory in the duel?
4. Who slips on a stone, and his leg is exposed during the duel?
5. Dionysus leads Pentheus away, saying that who will bring him back in her arms?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dionysus illustrate that Pentheus is responsible for his own fate?
2. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
3. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
4. In the case of his death, what does Eteocles ask of Creon?
5. Who is the superior military strategist between Eteocles and Creon? Why?
6. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
7. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
8. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
9. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
10. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)