|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes a sword and stabs herself in the end of The Phoenician Women?
2. Of the wild women of The Bacchae, who hears the cows and wakes the other women up?
3. What god does the chorus bemoan in the last half of The Phoenician Women?
4. Who is exiled at the end of The Phoenician Women?
5. After the battle in The Phoenician Women, who enters, crying for his son's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. Dionysus leads Pentheus away, saying that who will bring him back in her arms?
2. Whose army is chased away at the end of the battle in The Phoenician Women?
3. Who has the greater army in the war in The Phoenician Women?
4. Dionysus says that Pentheus must dress how to avoid being killed by the celebrants?
5. Who does Zeus strike down from the gate with lightning in the battle of The Phoenician Women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who commits the most noble act in The Phoenician Women?
2. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
3. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
4. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
5. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
6. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
7. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
8. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
9. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
10. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)