|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Zeus strike down from the gate with lightning in the battle of The Phoenician Women?
2. Who is now preparing for a battle to the death, according to the messenger after the battle in The Phoenician Women?
(a) Creon and Tydeus.
(b) Polyneices and Eteocles.
(c) Tydeus and Eteocles.
(d) Teiresius and Polyneices.
3. Who makes up the chorus in The Bacchae?
(a) The Asian Bacchae.
(b) The Armenian Bacchae.
(c) The Trojan Bacchae.
(d) The Argive Bacchae.
4. Polyneices, with his last breath, begs for what?
(a) To be buried in Thebes.
(b) To be buried in Athens.
(c) To be buried in Argos.
(d) For his wife to be queen.
5. Who comes to tell Pentheus of the women performing miracles on the mountain?
(d) A herdsman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been gossiping that Dionysus is NOT the son of Zeus?
2. On what mountain are the wild women performing miracles in The Bacchae?
3. Who is Pentheus' mother?
4. How does Eteocles suggest they attack the opposing army?
5. Who is the new leader of Thebes at the end of The Phoenician Women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
2. How does Dionysus illustrate that Pentheus is responsible for his own fate?
3. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
4. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
5. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
6. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
7. What natural occurrences does Dionysus bring upon Thebes? How does he use this to affect Pentheus?
8. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
9. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
10. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)