|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Antigone's betrothed husband the son of?
(d) The pedagogue.
2. Whose death does the chorus sing of in the beginning of The Bacchae?
3. Whose life does the chorus bemoan before the battle in The Phoenician Women?
4. Eteocles decrees anyone who buries his brother in Thebes be what?
5. Who kills the dragon that Ares has fathered?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Cadmus' grandson?
2. Of the wild women of The Bacchae, who hears the cows and wakes the other women up?
3. How does Eteocles suggest they attack the opposing army?
4. What has Dionysus done to the women of Thebes?
5. In the Phoenician Women, who does Ares seek revenge against?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
2. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
3. Who commits the most noble act in The Phoenician Women?
4. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
5. What is Jocasta's fate in the end of The Phoenician Women?
6. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
7. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
8. Who is the superior military strategist between Eteocles and Creon? Why?
9. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
10. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)