|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the messenger tell Creon is dead near the end of The Phoenician Women?
(a) All answers are correct.
2. In The Bacchae, the chorus sings that ______ men are punished by the gods.
3. Dionysus leads Pentheus away, saying that who will bring him back in her arms?
4. What is reported that the women tore apart with bare hands in The Bacchae?
(a) The fortress.
(b) The trees.
(c) The lambs.
(d) The cattle.
5. How many captains does Creon suggest using to ambush the army?
Short Answer Questions
1. What appears when one of the wild women of the Bacchae strikes the ground?
2. Who accompanies Creon to see Teiresius?
3. To whom is Antigone planned to wed?
4. How does Dionysus appear when he enters?
5. In the Phoenician Women, who does Ares seek revenge against?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dionysus illustrate that Pentheus is responsible for his own fate?
2. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
3. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
4. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
5. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
6. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
7. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
8. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
9. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
10. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)