|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is Antigone planned to wed?
2. What god does the chorus bemoan in the last half of The Phoenician Women?
3. Pentheus has heard of a trickster from where, claiming that Dionysus is a god?
4. Who attacks with spears, but is fought off by the Thebian army in The Phoenician Women?
5. Who adamantly does NOT worship Dionysus in The Bacchae?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many captains does Creon suggest using to ambush the army?
2. Where has Dionysus been traveling to gather followers?
3. How many gates surround Thebes?
4. Polyneices, with his last breath, begs for what?
5. Who makes up the chorus in The Bacchae?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
2. Who commits the most noble act in The Phoenician Women?
3. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
4. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
5. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
6. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
7. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
8. What is Jocasta's fate in the end of The Phoenician Women?
9. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
10. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)