|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to tell Pentheus of the women performing miracles on the mountain?
(c) A herdsman.
2. Whose life does the chorus bemoan before the battle in The Phoenician Women?
3. How many captains does Creon suggest using to ambush the army?
4. Who drops stones from the wall during the battle in The Phoenician Women?
5. Who does Polyneices pray to for victory in the duel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who delivers the opening speech of exposition in The Bacchae?
2. How many gates surround Thebes?
3. Who is the current ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae?
4. Who has been gossiping that Dionysus is NOT the son of Zeus?
5. Dionysus offers to lead Pentheus where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
2. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
3. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
4. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
5. What natural occurrences does Dionysus bring upon Thebes? How does he use this to affect Pentheus?
6. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
7. How does Dionysus illustrate that Pentheus is responsible for his own fate?
8. Who is the superior military strategist between Eteocles and Creon? Why?
9. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
10. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)