|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is killed by stones dropped from the wall in the battle in The Phoenician Women?
2. How many captains does Creon suggest using to ambush the army?
3. What god does the chorus bemoan in the last half of The Phoenician Women?
4. Who attacks with spears, but is fought off by the Thebian army in The Phoenician Women?
5. What appears when one of the wild women strikes a rock with a stick in The Bacchae?
(a) A tree.
(b) A fire.
(c) A spring of water.
(d) A team of leopards.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eteocles decrees anyone who buries his brother in Thebes be what?
2. In what city-state is The Bacchae set?
3. Whose life does the chorus bemoan before the battle in The Phoenician Women?
4. Instead of Dionysus, what is in the stable that is to be Dionysus' prison?
5. Who takes a sword and stabs herself in the end of The Phoenician Women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the superior military strategist between Eteocles and Creon? Why?
2. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
3. Who commits the most noble act in The Phoenician Women?
4. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
5. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
6. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
7. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
8. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
9. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
10. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)