|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to tell Pentheus of the women performing miracles on the mountain?
(b) A herdsman.
2. Who welcomes Dionysus after he escapes the stable?
3. Who has the greater army in the war in The Phoenician Women?
(a) The Argives.
(c) The Trojans.
4. Eteocles decrees anyone who buries his brother in Thebes be what?
5. How does Dionysus appear when he enters?
(a) As a god.
(b) As a man.
(c) As a bull.
(d) As a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who retreats when realizing the gods are against him?
2. Who does Eteocles ask Creon to speak to of the coming war?
3. Who is Cadmus' grandson?
4. Who is the current ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae?
5. Who is Pentheus' mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
2. What is Jocasta's fate in the end of The Phoenician Women?
3. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
4. Who commits the most noble act in The Phoenician Women?
5. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
6. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
7. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
8. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
9. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
10. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)