|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who delivers the opening speech of exposition in The Bacchae?
(c) The chorus.
2. Who comes to tell Pentheus of the women performing miracles on the mountain?
(d) A herdsman.
3. Dionysus offers to lead Pentheus where?
(a) To the villagers.
(b) To the women.
(c) To the heavens.
(d) To the gates.
4. Who is Dionysus' mother?
5. Who is exiled at the end of The Phoenician Women?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacks with spears, but is fought off by the Thebian army in The Phoenician Women?
2. When the wild women scratch at the ground, what appears, in The Bacchae?
3. Who does Creon tell Eteocles has captured an opposing soldier?
4. Who is now preparing for a battle to the death, according to the messenger after the battle in The Phoenician Women?
5. In what city-state is The Bacchae set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
2. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
3. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
4. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
5. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
6. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
7. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
8. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
9. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
10. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)