|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the blind prophet in The Phoenician Women?
(a) The pedagogue.
2. Dionysus offers to lead Pentheus where?
(a) To the villagers.
(b) To the gates.
(c) To the women.
(d) To the heavens.
3. The herders try to ambush who to bring her back to Pentheus?
4. In what city-state is The Bacchae set?
5. Who calls Dionysus the greatest god, after hearing of the wild women in The Bacchae?
Short Answer Questions
1. Pentheus has heard of a trickster from where, claiming that Dionysus is a god?
2. Eteocles tells Creon that Polyneices will do what?
3. What has Dionysus done to the women of Thebes?
4. Who is the current ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae?
5. Who goes to stop the duel to the death in The Phoenician Women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
2. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
3. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
4. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
5. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
6. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
7. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
8. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
9. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
10. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)