|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The herders try to ambush who to bring her back to Pentheus?
2. Of the wild women of The Bacchae, who hears the cows and wakes the other women up?
3. Who makes up the chorus in The Bacchae?
(a) The Argive Bacchae.
(b) The Armenian Bacchae.
(c) The Asian Bacchae.
(d) The Trojan Bacchae.
4. What appears when one of the wild women strikes a rock with a stick in The Bacchae?
(a) A tree.
(b) A fire.
(c) A spring of water.
(d) A team of leopards.
5. What has Dionysus done to the women of Thebes?
(a) Sent them to Troy.
(b) Turned them mad.
(c) Killed them.
(d) Seduced them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to tell Pentheus of the women performing miracles on the mountain?
2. Who delivers the opening speech of exposition in The Bacchae?
3. Who adamantly does NOT worship Dionysus in The Bacchae?
4. Who retreats when realizing the gods are against him?
5. Who welcomes Dionysus after he escapes the stable?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
2. How does Dionysus illustrate that Pentheus is responsible for his own fate?
3. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
4. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
5. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
6. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
7. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
8. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
9. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
10. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)