|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the wild women scratch at the ground, what appears, in The Bacchae?
(a) Water and fire.
(d) Milk and honey.
2. Dionysus says that Pentheus must dress how to avoid being killed by the celebrants?
(a) As Zeus.
(b) As a woman.
(c) As Dionysus.
(d) As a shepherd.
3. Polyneices, with his last breath, begs for what?
(a) To be buried in Thebes.
(b) To be buried in Argos.
(c) To be buried in Athens.
(d) For his wife to be queen.
4. What appears when one of the wild women strikes a rock with a stick in The Bacchae?
(a) A tree.
(b) A fire.
(c) A spring of water.
(d) A team of leopards.
5. Who is Cadmus' grandson?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for the opening of The Bacchae?
2. Who does Zeus strike down from the gate with lightning in the battle of The Phoenician Women?
3. What has Dionysus done to the women of Thebes?
4. To whose daughter is Polyneices married?
5. The herders try to ambush who to bring her back to Pentheus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
2. What natural occurrences does Dionysus bring upon Thebes? How does he use this to affect Pentheus?
3. Who is the superior military strategist between Eteocles and Creon? Why?
4. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
5. How does Dionysus illustrate that Pentheus is responsible for his own fate?
6. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
7. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
8. What is Jocasta's fate in the end of The Phoenician Women?
9. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
10. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)