|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Dionysus done to the women of Thebes?
(a) Seduced them.
(b) Killed them.
(c) Sent them to Troy.
(d) Turned them mad.
2. Who has been gossiping that Dionysus is NOT the son of Zeus?
(b) Semele's sisters.
(c) Agave's mother.
3. Who delivers the opening speech of exposition in The Bacchae?
(d) The chorus.
4. What is reported that the women tore apart with bare hands in The Bacchae?
(a) The trees.
(b) The lambs.
(c) The fortress.
(d) The cattle.
5. What appears when one of the wild women of the Bacchae strikes the ground?
(b) A spring of milk.
(c) A spring of wine.
(d) A fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to tell Pentheus of the women performing miracles on the mountain?
2. Who makes up the chorus in The Bacchae?
3. Pentheus has heard of a trickster from where, claiming that Dionysus is a god?
4. Who has the greater army in the war in The Phoenician Women?
5. In what city-state is The Bacchae set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What natural occurrences does Dionysus bring upon Thebes? How does he use this to affect Pentheus?
2. How does Creon fight against the fate of the gods?
3. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
4. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
5. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
6. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
7. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
8. In the case of his death, what does Eteocles ask of Creon?
9. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
10. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)