|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who makes up the chorus in The Bacchae?
(a) The Trojan Bacchae.
(b) The Armenian Bacchae.
(c) The Asian Bacchae.
(d) The Argive Bacchae.
2. In what city-state is The Bacchae set?
3. On what mountain are the wild women performing miracles in The Bacchae?
(a) Mount Olympus.
(b) Mount Cithaeron.
(c) Mount Cyprus.
(d) Mount Hellene.
4. Who adamantly does NOT worship Dionysus in The Bacchae?
5. Who is the current ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae?
Short Answer Questions
1. After the battle in The Phoenician Women, who enters, crying for his son's death?
2. Whose death does the chorus sing of in the beginning of The Bacchae?
3. Instead of Dionysus, what is in the stable that is to be Dionysus' prison?
4. Who goes to stop the duel to the death in The Phoenician Women?
5. In the Phoenician Women, who does Ares seek revenge against?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jocasta's fate in the end of The Phoenician Women?
2. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
3. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
4. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
5. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
6. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
7. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
8. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
9. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
10. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)