|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting for the opening of The Bacchae?
(a) A farm house.
(b) Apollo's shrine.
(c) A Dionysian altar.
(d) A palace.
2. Dionysus offers to lead Pentheus where?
(a) To the gates.
(b) To the heavens.
(c) To the villagers.
(d) To the women.
3. What is reported that the women tore apart with bare hands in The Bacchae?
(a) The lambs.
(b) The cattle.
(c) The fortress.
(d) The trees.
4. In the Phoenician Women, who does Ares seek revenge against?
5. Who has been gossiping that Dionysus is NOT the son of Zeus?
(b) Semele's sisters.
(c) Agave's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Creon tell Eteocles has captured an opposing soldier?
2. Where has Dionysus been traveling to gather followers?
3. Who delivers the opening speech of exposition in The Bacchae?
4. Who did Zeus hide Dionysus from as a child?
5. Who is now preparing for a battle to the death, according to the messenger after the battle in The Phoenician Women?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
2. What natural occurrences does Dionysus bring upon Thebes? How does he use this to affect Pentheus?
3. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
4. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
5. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
6. How does Dionysus illustrate that Pentheus is responsible for his own fate?
7. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
8. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
9. Who commits the most noble act in The Phoenician Women?
10. What is the central setting of The Bacchae?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)