|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pentheus has heard of a trickster from where, claiming that Dionysus is a god?
2. Who does Polyneices pray to for victory in the duel?
3. What appears when one of the wild women of the Bacchae strikes the ground?
(a) A spring of milk.
(b) A fire.
(c) A spring of wine.
4. What is the setting for the opening of The Bacchae?
(a) Apollo's shrine.
(b) A farm house.
(c) A palace.
(d) A Dionysian altar.
5. Who comes to tell Pentheus of the women performing miracles on the mountain?
(d) A herdsman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dionysus appear when he enters?
2. Polyneices, with his last breath, begs for what?
3. What god does the chorus bemoan in the last half of The Phoenician Women?
4. Who is the blind prophet in The Phoenician Women?
5. Who is the current ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
2. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
3. What natural occurrences does Dionysus bring upon Thebes? How does he use this to affect Pentheus?
4. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
5. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
6. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
7. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
8. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
9. Why has Dionysis come to Thebes in The Bacchae?
10. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)