|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes a sword and stabs herself in the end of The Phoenician Women?
2. When the wild women scratch at the ground, what appears, in The Bacchae?
(b) Water and fire.
(c) Milk and honey.
3. What is the notable structure seen in the setting of The Bacchae?
(a) A smoking tomb.
(b) A statue.
(c) Dionysus' altar.
(d) Apollo's altar.
4. Who makes up the chorus in The Bacchae?
(a) The Asian Bacchae.
(b) The Armenian Bacchae.
(c) The Argive Bacchae.
(d) The Trojan Bacchae.
5. Who has been gossiping that Dionysus is NOT the son of Zeus?
(a) Agave's mother.
(b) Semele's sisters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Dionysus done to the women of Thebes?
2. Who slips on a stone, and his leg is exposed during the duel?
3. Who attacks with spears, but is fought off by the Thebian army in The Phoenician Women?
4. Who adamantly does NOT worship Dionysus in The Bacchae?
5. Dionysus is the god of ____ and fertility.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the last straw which unleashes Dionysus' wrath on Pentheus?
2. Who is the character of Teiresias? Describe this character.
3. How does Pentheus react to Dionysus' miracles?
4. What natural occurrences does Dionysus bring upon Thebes? How does he use this to affect Pentheus?
5. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
6. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
7. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
8. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
9. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
10. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)