|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who adamantly does NOT worship Dionysus in The Bacchae?
2. What is reported that the women tore apart with bare hands in The Bacchae?
(a) The fortress.
(b) The lambs.
(c) The trees.
(d) The cattle.
3. Who is the founder of Thebes?
4. Whose life does the chorus bemoan before the battle in The Phoenician Women?
5. What is the setting for the opening of The Bacchae?
(a) A farm house.
(b) A palace.
(c) Apollo's shrine.
(d) A Dionysian altar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacks with spears, but is fought off by the Thebian army in The Phoenician Women?
2. What is the notable structure seen in the setting of The Bacchae?
3. What does Dionysus strike down with lightning?
4. Who does the messenger tell Creon is dead near the end of The Phoenician Women?
5. Who is Dionysus' mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the case of his death, what does Eteocles ask of Creon?
2. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
3. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
4. Who is the central character of The Bacchae? How is he dressed?
5. How does the brothers' battle in The Phoenician Women reflect the theme of the play?
6. What does the herdsman's tale of the wild women foretell in The Bacchae?
7. How is the battle illuminated in The Phoenician Women?
8. What does Eteocles initially tell Creon in their meeting?
9. What natural occurrences does Dionysus bring upon Thebes? How does he use this to affect Pentheus?
10. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)