|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Agamemnon go to fight?
2. Who is the wife of Laius?
3. What has Orestes returned to do in Electra?
(a) Marry Electra.
(b) Kill Aegisthus and Clytemnestra.
(c) Marry Iphegenia.
(d) Take the crown from his brother.
4. When Orestes returns, who does Electra praise for his faithful friendship?
(a) The farmer.
5. Who makes up the chorus in Electra?
(a) Argive peasant women.
(b) Thebian peasant women.
(c) Phoenician women.
(d) Trojan women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that good character cannot be judged by riches, poverty or courage?
2. Who does Electra NOT want the body to be seen by?
3. Who does Electra explain to her guests the servant is?
4. Who does Orestes tell Aegisthus that he and his party are?
5. Who invites the messengers into the cottage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Phoenician Women? What are their feelings in the play?
2. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
3. What happened to Agamemnon? What does the exposition tell us happened with Orestes and Electra?
4. What does Orestes say of Electra's husband (as he pretends to be the messenger)?
5. How are the deaths in the end of Electra received by the characters?
6. Who recognizes Orestes?
7. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
8. How is the death of Aegisthus revealed? What effect does this have on the audience?
9. Who tells Electra of the upcoming feast? Why does she refuse to go?
10. What does Electra tell the messenger (Orestes) to relay to him about returning?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)