|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Aegisthus want to kill for fear of revenge?
2. What does the chorus inform Electra of in the beginning of Electra?
(a) A funeral.
(b) A wedding.
(c) An upcoming feast day.
(d) Her brother's arrival.
3. Who recognizes Orestes in the cottage?
(d) Agamemnon's servant.
4. Who does Oedipus marry?
5. Who is Electra married to?
(c) A poor farmer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters with Orestes in his first appearance in Electra?
2. Who appears in the heavens at the end of Electra?
3. Who does Electra send her husband to go find when the strangers enter the cottage?
4. What food and provisions are brought to Electra for her and her guests?
5. How many children does Oedipus have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What of Electra's demeanor in Part Three builds the tension of the play? What does she feel when she hears word from the messenger?
2. How does Electra compare her situation to her mother's in part one of Electra, when speaking to the messenger (Orestes)?
3. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
4. Who delivers the final judgment in Electra? What is it?
5. Who are the Phoenician Women? What are their feelings in the play?
6. The end of the Electra reveals the author's (and likely the society's) point of view. What is it?
7. Why does the servant say Orestes won't be killed by approaching Aegisthus?
8. What does the farmer chide Electra for as she speaks to Orestes in Part Two of Electra?
9. What led to Oedipus' downfall?
10. What is the irony of Electra's stance on woman's subservience?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)