|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of knife does Orestes ask for to butcher the animal?
2. What does Electra's husband chastise her for doing in the beginning of Electra?
(b) Beating a cow.
(d) Servile tasks.
3. Who locks Oedipus in the palace in shame?
(a) His sons.
(b) His daughters.
(c) His wife.
4. Who enters with Antigone in her first entrance in The Phoenician Women?
(a) The pedagogue.
5. Who becomes Clytemnestra's lover?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Electra send her husband to go find when the strangers enter the cottage?
2. Who is Electra married to?
3. Who was Clytemnestra's first husband?
4. Who recognizes Orestes in the cottage?
5. What is Oedipus awarded for lifting the torment on Thebes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who brings Electra food for their guests? What does he bring? What is his connection to Orestes?
2. How does Clytemnestra's fate show how punishment for women is different than for men?
3. What does Orestes ask of the old man at the cottage?
4. What of Electra's demeanor in Part Three builds the tension of the play? What does she feel when she hears word from the messenger?
5. How is Antigone's entrance in The Phoenician Women used as an aid to the audience?
6. The end of the Electra reveals the author's (and likely the society's) point of view. What is it?
7. Who are the Phoenician Women? What are their feelings in the play?
8. How is the death of Aegisthus revealed? What effect does this have on the audience?
9. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
10. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)