|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who invites the messengers into the cottage?
(a) The farmer.
2. When Orestes returns in the end of Electra, what does he offer his sister to do with what she pleases?
(a) Clytemnestra's corpse.
(b) Aegisthus' corpse.
(c) Pylades' corpse.
(d) The knife he used.
3. What goddess will be celebrated in the beginning of Electra?
4. The chorus in The Phoenician Women is waiting to be sent where?
(a) Dionysus' shrine.
(b) Teiresius' oracle.
(c) Apollo's shrine.
(d) Loxias' oracle.
5. What does the chorus do in Electra when Orestes is discovered?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orestes ask the old servant once he is discovered?
2. Who does Orestes tell Aegisthus that he and his party are?
3. For what does Aegisthus offer Orestes party water?
4. Who does the chorus sing of, that went with Agamemnon to war?
5. Who has a plan for how to kill Clytemnestra?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Electra tell the messenger (Orestes) to relay to him about returning?
2. Who brings Electra food for their guests? What does he bring? What is his connection to Orestes?
3. How does Clytemnestra's fate show how punishment for women is different than for men?
4. What of Electra's demeanor in Part Three builds the tension of the play? What does she feel when she hears word from the messenger?
5. Why do the brothers in The Phoenician Women fight against fate?
6. What happened to Agamemnon? What does the exposition tell us happened with Orestes and Electra?
7. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
8. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
9. Who tells Electra of the upcoming feast? Why does she refuse to go?
10. What led to Oedipus' downfall?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)