|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In The Phoenician Women, who has been living in Argos and marries a woman there?
2. Who does Orestes pretend to be when he meets his sister?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A beggar.
(c) A messenger.
(d) A king.
3. What kind of knife does Orestes ask for to butcher the animal?
4. Who does the chorus sing about that would right the wrongs being slain in Electra?
(a) Clytemnestra and Aegisthus.
(b) Electra and Orestes.
(d) Antigone and Aegisthus.
5. Who does Orestes say must be repaid for his kindness?
(b) The farmer.
(c) The old man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to inform Electra of the success of Orestes' deed?
2. Orestes fears being tried for what?
3. Who locks Oedipus in the palace in shame?
4. Electra condemns all men who are what to their wives?
5. What does Electra's husband chastise her for doing in the beginning of Electra?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
2. How does Electra compare her situation to her mother's in part one of Electra, when speaking to the messenger (Orestes)?
3. What of Electra's demeanor in Part Three builds the tension of the play? What does she feel when she hears word from the messenger?
4. What does Electra tell the messenger (Orestes) to relay to him about returning?
5. Who recognizes Orestes?
6. What is the irony of Electra's stance on woman's subservience?
7. How does Clytemnestra's fate show how punishment for women is different than for men?
8. What happened to Agamemnon? What does the exposition tell us happened with Orestes and Electra?
9. How does Electra react to the strangers coming into her home?
10. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)