|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aegisthus take to predict the future?
(a) A bowl of water.
(b) A mirror.
(c) The bull's innards.
(d) Tea leaves.
2. What has Orestes returned to do in Electra?
(a) Marry Electra.
(b) Take the crown from his brother.
(c) Kill Aegisthus and Clytemnestra.
(d) Marry Iphegenia.
3. What is Oedipus awarded for lifting the torment on Thebes?
(b) A diamond.
(d) The kingdom.
4. Clytemnestra claim's she only avenged whose death?
(a) Her husband's.
(b) Her son's.
(c) Her daughter's.
(d) Her mother's.
5. Who has Agamemnon brought back as a concubine from the war?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the chorus sing about that would right the wrongs being slain in Electra?
2. What is the opening scene of Electra?
3. Who locks Oedipus in the palace in shame?
4. Who is the wife of Laius?
5. Who does Orestes pretend to be when he meets his sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
2. Why does the servant say Orestes won't be killed by approaching Aegisthus?
3. How does Electra compare her situation to her mother's in part one of Electra, when speaking to the messenger (Orestes)?
4. What does Orestes ask of the old man at the cottage?
5. What does the farmer chide Electra for as she speaks to Orestes in Part Two of Electra?
6. How is the death of Aegisthus revealed? What effect does this have on the audience?
7. Who are the Phoenician Women? What are their feelings in the play?
8. Who recognizes Orestes?
9. What is Electra doing when she first enters the play? What does her farmer chide her for?
10. Why do the brothers in The Phoenician Women fight against fate?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)