|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chorus inform Electra of in the beginning of Electra?
(a) An upcoming feast day.
(b) Her brother's arrival.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A funeral.
2. The chorus in The Phoenician Women is waiting to be sent where?
(a) Dionysus' shrine.
(b) Loxias' oracle.
(c) Teiresius' oracle.
(d) Apollo's shrine.
3. Who walks around Orestes looking at him in the cottage?
(c) The servant.
4. Electra condemns all men who confuse what with power?
5. Who married Electra to her current husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose marriage in Electra has NOT been consummated?
2. Where does The Phoenician Women take place?
3. What is Oedipus awarded for lifting the torment on Thebes?
4. Who has a plan for how to kill Clytemnestra?
5. Who does the chorus sing of, that went with Agamemnon to war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the central conflict in The Phoenician Women?
2. How does Clytemnestra's fate show how punishment for women is different than for men?
3. What does the farmer chide Electra for as she speaks to Orestes in Part Two of Electra?
4. Why and with whom has Orestes returned to Argos? Where do we first find him in the play Electra?
5. Why does the servant say Orestes won't be killed by approaching Aegisthus?
6. What is the irony of Electra's stance on woman's subservience?
7. The end of the Electra reveals the author's (and likely the society's) point of view. What is it?
8. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
9. How does Electra react to the strangers coming into her home?
10. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)