|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Clytemnestra's first husband?
2. For what does Aegisthus offer Orestes party water?
(a) To wash.
(b) To clean meat.
(c) To drink.
(d) To give to their maidens.
3. What does Electra's husband chastise her for doing in the beginning of Electra?
(a) Servile tasks.
(c) Beating a cow.
4. Who has a plan for how to kill Clytemnestra?
(b) The old servant.
5. When Orestes returns in the end of Electra, what does he offer his sister to do with what she pleases?
(a) The knife he used.
(b) Clytemnestra's corpse.
(c) Aegisthus' corpse.
(d) Pylades' corpse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Electra chide her husband for after the messenger has appeared?
2. Who says our daily food is a small matter in Electra?
3. What is Electra doing when Orestes first sees her?
4. Orestes tells Electra that he's having second thoughts about killing whom?
5. What does Electra's husband say that it's improper for Electra to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the farmer chide Electra for as she speaks to Orestes in Part Two of Electra?
2. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
3. How does Electra react to the strangers coming into her home?
4. Who are the Phoenician Women? What are their feelings in the play?
5. What does Orestes ask of the old man at the cottage?
6. Why does the servant say Orestes won't be killed by approaching Aegisthus?
7. How is the death of Aegisthus revealed? What effect does this have on the audience?
8. Who brings Electra food for their guests? What does he bring? What is his connection to Orestes?
9. What is the central conflict in The Phoenician Women?
10. How does Electra compare her situation to her mother's in part one of Electra, when speaking to the messenger (Orestes)?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)