|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Orestes returned to do in Electra?
(a) Kill Aegisthus and Clytemnestra.
(b) Marry Electra.
(c) Take the crown from his brother.
(d) Marry Iphegenia.
2. Who appears in the heavens at the end of Electra?
(a) The Dioscuri.
3. Who does Aegisthus want to kill for fear of revenge?
4. What is Oedipus awarded for lifting the torment on Thebes?
(a) A diamond.
(b) The kingdom.
5. What does the chorus do in Electra when Orestes is discovered?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that good character cannot be judged by riches, poverty or courage?
2. Who does Electra call unfaithful, attractive to women, but a worthless coward underneath his pretty face?
3. Electra condemns all men who confuse what with power?
4. Who does Electra NOT want the body to be seen by?
5. Who takes the first year of rule over Thebes, but will not give up the throne when it comes time for his brother to take over?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Electra react to the strangers coming into her home?
2. What is the central conflict in The Phoenician Women?
3. Who are the Phoenician Women? What are their feelings in the play?
4. What of Electra's demeanor in Part Three builds the tension of the play? What does she feel when she hears word from the messenger?
5. How does Clytemnestra's fate show how punishment for women is different than for men?
6. Who brings Electra food for their guests? What does he bring? What is his connection to Orestes?
7. What does Orestes comment on about riches regarding the farmer? What prompts this?
8. What does Orestes ask of the old man at the cottage?
9. Who recognizes Orestes?
10. Why does the servant say Orestes won't be killed by approaching Aegisthus?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)