|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who kills Laius in The Phoenician Women?
2. What is Oedipus awarded for lifting the torment on Thebes?
(c) The kingdom.
(d) A diamond.
3. Who enters with Orestes in his first appearance in Electra?
4. Who takes the first year of rule over Thebes, but will not give up the throne when it comes time for his brother to take over?
5. What has Oedipus outwitted in The Phoenician Women?
(a) The Dioscuri.
(b) The Sphinx.
(c) The king.
(d) A dragon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aegisthus take to predict the future?
2. Who does Electra tell her husband the messengers are from?
3. What kind of knife does Orestes ask for to butcher the animal?
4. Who locks Oedipus in the palace in shame?
5. Who is Electra married to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Electra compare her situation to her mother's in part one of Electra, when speaking to the messenger (Orestes)?
2. Why and with whom has Orestes returned to Argos? Where do we first find him in the play Electra?
3. What does Electra do when she first sees Orestes?
4. What happened to Agamemnon? What does the exposition tell us happened with Orestes and Electra?
5. Who brings Electra food for their guests? What does he bring? What is his connection to Orestes?
6. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
7. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
8. Which way do the gods lean in the battle between Thebes and the Argives? Why?
9. What is Jocasta's fate in the end of The Phoenician Women?
10. Who is the ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae? Describe him.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)