|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who kills Agamemnon?
(a) Orestes and Electra.
(c) Clytemnestra and Aegisthus.
2. Who locks Oedipus in the palace in shame?
(a) His sons.
(c) His wife.
(d) His daughters.
3. Whose servant arrives with food for Electra and her guests?
4. Who enters with Antigone in her first entrance in The Phoenician Women?
(a) The pedagogue.
5. Who is the wife of Laius?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes Clytemnestra's lover?
2. Where does The Phoenician Women take place?
3. Who does Aegisthus beg to protect him and destroy his enemies?
4. Who does Orestes tell Aegisthus he is going to make a sacrifice for?
5. Who was Clytemnestra's first husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Electra doing when she first enters the play? What does her farmer chide her for?
2. The end of the Electra reveals the author's (and likely the society's) point of view. What is it?
3. Describe briefly the theme of fate in The Phoenician Women.
4. How is Antigone's entrance in The Phoenician Women used as an aid to the audience?
5. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
6. Who tells Electra of the upcoming feast? Why does she refuse to go?
7. What happened to Agamemnon? What does the exposition tell us happened with Orestes and Electra?
8. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
9. What is the central conflict in The Phoenician Women?
10. How is the death of Aegisthus revealed? What effect does this have on the audience?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)