|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chorus do in Electra when Orestes is discovered?
2. Who takes the first year of rule over Thebes, but will not give up the throne when it comes time for his brother to take over?
3. Who does Orestes pretend to be when he meets his sister?
(a) A beggar.
(b) A king.
(c) A messenger.
(d) A farmer.
4. Where does Agamemnon go to fight?
5. Who has a plan for how to kill Clytemnestra?
(c) The old servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters with Antigone in her first entrance in The Phoenician Women?
2. Who tells Laius NOT to father a child?
3. What does Electra have upon hear head when she first enters the play?
4. What does Electra's husband say that it's improper for Electra to do?
5. Whose servant arrives with food for Electra and her guests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orestes ask of the old man at the cottage?
2. The end of the Electra reveals the author's (and likely the society's) point of view. What is it?
3. Who delivers the final judgment in Electra? What is it?
4. Why does the servant say Orestes won't be killed by approaching Aegisthus?
5. What led to Oedipus' downfall?
6. What is the irony of Electra's stance on woman's subservience?
7. What of Electra's demeanor in Part Three builds the tension of the play? What does she feel when she hears word from the messenger?
8. How does Electra react to the strangers coming into her home?
9. How is the death of Aegisthus revealed? What effect does this have on the audience?
10. How does Clytemnestra's fate show how punishment for women is different than for men?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)