|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orestes fears being tried for what?
2. Who does Oedipus marry?
3. Who does the chorus sing about that would right the wrongs being slain in Electra?
(b) Clytemnestra and Aegisthus.
(c) Electra and Orestes.
(d) Antigone and Aegisthus.
4. Who does Electra say was NOT properly buried?
5. Who walks around Orestes looking at him in the cottage?
(b) The servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Electra ask to hide the body of Aegisthus?
2. Who locks Oedipus in the palace in shame?
3. Who recognizes Orestes in the cottage?
4. How did Orestes attain the mark the servant speaks of?
5. Who has called a truce to attempt to make peace in The Phoenician Women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dramatic irony in the messenger's speech to Electra in Part Three of the play.
2. How is Antigone's entrance in The Phoenician Women used as an aid to the audience?
3. Why does the servant say Orestes won't be killed by approaching Aegisthus?
4. Who tells Electra of the upcoming feast? Why does she refuse to go?
5. How does Clytemnestra's fate show how punishment for women is different than for men?
6. What does Orestes comment on about riches regarding the farmer? What prompts this?
7. What of Electra's demeanor in Part Three builds the tension of the play? What does she feel when she hears word from the messenger?
8. Why and with whom has Orestes returned to Argos? Where do we first find him in the play Electra?
9. What is the central conflict in The Phoenician Women?
10. The end of the Electra reveals the author's (and likely the society's) point of view. What is it?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)