|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Electra condemns all men who confuse what with power?
2. Whose servant arrives with food for Electra and her guests?
3. Who locks Oedipus in the palace in shame?
(a) His wife.
(b) His sons.
(c) His daughters.
4. Who says that good character cannot be judged by riches, poverty or courage?
(d) The farmer.
5. What does Electra's husband chastise her for doing in the beginning of Electra?
(a) Beating a cow.
(b) Servile tasks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Orestes say must be repaid for his kindness?
2. Who becomes Clytemnestra's lover?
3. What food and provisions are brought to Electra for her and her guests?
4. Who does Electra say would recognize her brother if he saw him?
5. Who has a plan for how to kill Clytemnestra?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Agamemnon? What does the exposition tell us happened with Orestes and Electra?
2. Who are the Phoenician Women? What are their feelings in the play?
3. Who recognizes Orestes?
4. Why do the brothers in The Phoenician Women fight against fate?
5. How is Antigone's entrance in The Phoenician Women used as an aid to the audience?
6. How is the death of Aegisthus revealed? What effect does this have on the audience?
7. What does Electra do when she first sees Orestes?
8. Why does the servant say Orestes won't be killed by approaching Aegisthus?
9. What does Electra tell the messenger (Orestes) to relay to him about returning?
10. What is the irony of Electra's stance on woman's subservience?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)