|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has called a truce to attempt to make peace in The Phoenician Women?
2. What is Oedipus awarded for lifting the torment on Thebes?
(b) A diamond.
(d) The kingdom.
3. What does Aegisthus throw on the altar when with Orestes?
4. What does Aegisthus take to predict the future?
(a) A mirror.
(b) The bull's innards.
(c) A bowl of water.
(d) Tea leaves.
5. Who walks around Orestes looking at him in the cottage?
(c) The servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose servant arrives with food for Electra and her guests?
2. What does Electra's husband say that it's improper for Electra to do?
3. Who appears in the heavens at the end of Electra?
4. Who was Clytemnestra's first husband?
5. What kind of knife does Orestes ask for to butcher the animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the brothers in The Phoenician Women fight against fate?
2. What is Antigone's fate at the end of The Phoenician Women?
3. Why do the Argives retreat in the battle with the Thebians?
4. What is the irony of Electra's stance on woman's subservience?
5. In Etecleocle's scene with Creon, how does he seal the fate of the play?
6. What is Pentheus' fatal flaw? How does this cause his downfall?
7. How is Pentheus' death described?
8. What does Electra do when she first sees Orestes?
9. What does the chorus sing of once Orestes and Electra exit in Part Two of Electra?
10. What is the principle character trait of Pentheus? How does he express this?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)