|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Clytemnestra claim's she only avenged whose death?
(a) Her daughter's.
(b) Her husband's.
(c) Her mother's.
(d) Her son's.
2. What kind of knife does Orestes ask for to butcher the animal?
3. Where does The Phoenician Women take place?
4. What goddess will be celebrated in the beginning of Electra?
5. What has Orestes returned to do in Electra?
(a) Kill Aegisthus and Clytemnestra.
(b) Marry Iphegenia.
(c) Marry Electra.
(d) Take the crown from his brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chorus do in Electra when Orestes is discovered?
2. Electra condemns all men who confuse what with power?
3. What does Laius do with his son?
4. Who does the chorus sing about that would right the wrongs being slain in Electra?
5. Who locks Oedipus in the palace in shame?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to Oedipus' downfall?
2. What does Electra tell the messenger (Orestes) to relay to him about returning?
3. What is Electra doing when she first enters the play? What does her farmer chide her for?
4. What does Orestes say of Electra's husband (as he pretends to be the messenger)?
5. Why does the servant say Orestes won't be killed by approaching Aegisthus?
6. Who tells Electra of the upcoming feast? Why does she refuse to go?
7. Why do the brothers in The Phoenician Women fight against fate?
8. What happened to Agamemnon? What does the exposition tell us happened with Orestes and Electra?
9. What of Electra's demeanor in Part Three builds the tension of the play? What does she feel when she hears word from the messenger?
10. How are the deaths in the end of Electra received by the characters?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)