|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the notable structure seen in the setting of The Bacchae?
(a) Dionysus' altar.
(b) A statue.
(c) Apollo's altar.
(d) A smoking tomb.
2. The herders try to ambush who to bring her back to Pentheus?
3. To whose daughter is Polyneices married?
4. Who is Dionysus' mother?
5. Who is the current ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae?
6. How does Dionysus appear when he enters?
(a) As a god.
(b) As a bull.
(c) As a woman.
(d) As a man.
7. What has Dionysus done to the women of Thebes?
(a) Killed them.
(b) Turned them mad.
(c) Sent them to Troy.
(d) Seduced them.
8. Instead of Dionysus, what is in the stable that is to be Dionysus' prison?
9. After the battle in The Phoenician Women, who enters, crying for his son's death?
10. Who does Teiresius say must die to save Thebes?
11. Who adamantly does NOT worship Dionysus in The Bacchae?
12. Who goes to stop the duel to the death in The Phoenician Women?
(b) Eteocles and Jocasta.
(c) Jocasta calls Antigone.
(d) Creon and Jocasta.
13. Dionysus offers to lead Pentheus where?
(a) To the gates.
(b) To the villagers.
(c) To the heavens.
(d) To the women.
14. Who does Eteocles pray to for victory in the duel?
15. Dionysus leads Pentheus away, saying that who will bring him back in her arms?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is now preparing for a battle to the death, according to the messenger after the battle in The Phoenician Women?
2. Who is Pentheus' mother?
3. What is the setting for the opening of The Bacchae?
4. Dionysus is the god of ____ and fertility.
5. How many captains does Creon suggest using to ambush the army?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)