|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Phoenician Women, who does Ares seek revenge against?
2. What appears when one of the wild women of the Bacchae strikes the ground?
(a) A spring of milk.
(b) A fire.
(d) A spring of wine.
3. Who is the founder of Thebes?
4. Who is the current ruler of Thebes in The Bacchae?
5. Polyneices, with his last breath, begs for what?
(a) To be buried in Argos.
(b) To be buried in Thebes.
(c) To be buried in Athens.
(d) For his wife to be queen.
6. Who is Cadmus' grandson?
7. Who does Eteocles pray to for victory in the duel?
8. Who kills the dragon that Ares has fathered?
9. Who goes to stop the duel to the death in The Phoenician Women?
(b) Eteocles and Jocasta.
(c) Creon and Jocasta.
(d) Jocasta calls Antigone.
10. What is the setting for the opening of The Bacchae?
(a) Apollo's shrine.
(b) A palace.
(c) A Dionysian altar.
(d) A farm house.
11. Who calls Dionysus the greatest god, after hearing of the wild women in The Bacchae?
12. How does Eteocles suggest they attack the opposing army?
(a) At noon.
(b) At night.
(c) At dawn.
(d) At dusk.
13. Pentheus has heard of a trickster from where, claiming that Dionysus is a god?
14. What is reported that the women tore apart with bare hands in The Bacchae?
(a) The cattle.
(b) The trees.
(c) The lambs.
(d) The fortress.
15. Who adamantly does NOT worship Dionysus in The Bacchae?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who retreats when realizing the gods are against him?
2. Eteocles tells Creon that Polyneices will do what?
3. Who does Eteocles ask Creon to speak to of the coming war?
4. In what city-state is The Bacchae set?
5. The herders try to ambush who to bring her back to Pentheus?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)