|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What appears when one of the wild women of the Bacchae strikes the ground?
(a) A spring of wine.
(b) A fire.
(d) A spring of milk.
2. How does Dionysus appear when he enters?
(a) As a god.
(b) As a woman.
(c) As a bull.
(d) As a man.
3. Who is the founder of Thebes?
4. Who makes up the chorus in The Bacchae?
(a) The Armenian Bacchae.
(b) The Asian Bacchae.
(c) The Argive Bacchae.
(d) The Trojan Bacchae.
5. In the Phoenician Women, who does Ares seek revenge against?
6. Eteocles decrees anyone who buries his brother in Thebes be what?
7. Polyneices, with his last breath, begs for what?
(a) To be buried in Argos.
(b) To be buried in Thebes.
(c) For his wife to be queen.
(d) To be buried in Athens.
8. Who is Pentheus' mother?
9. What does Dionysus strike down with lightning?
(a) The fortress.
(b) The palace.
(c) The city.
(d) The trees.
10. To whom is Antigone planned to wed?
11. What god does the chorus bemoan in the last half of The Phoenician Women?
12. Who comes to tell Pentheus of the women performing miracles on the mountain?
(d) A herdsman.
13. Eteocles tells Creon that Polyneices will do what?
(a) Give up.
(b) Return in a month.
(c) Wage war.
(d) Take the crown.
14. Who does Creon tell Eteocles has captured an opposing soldier?
15. Who is killed by stones dropped from the wall in the battle in The Phoenician Women?
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the wild women of The Bacchae, who hears the cows and wakes the other women up?
2. Whose army is chased away at the end of the battle in The Phoenician Women?
3. In The Bacchae, the chorus sings that ______ men are punished by the gods.
4. Who is the new leader of Thebes at the end of The Phoenician Women?
5. Who accompanies Creon to see Teiresius?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)