|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Zeus hide Dionysus from as a child?
2. Polyneices, with his last breath, begs for what?
(a) For his wife to be queen.
(b) To be buried in Thebes.
(c) To be buried in Athens.
(d) To be buried in Argos.
3. Who has been gossiping that Dionysus is NOT the son of Zeus?
(a) Semele's sisters.
(b) Agave's mother.
4. Who is now preparing for a battle to the death, according to the messenger after the battle in The Phoenician Women?
(a) Teiresius and Polyneices.
(b) Creon and Tydeus.
(c) Tydeus and Eteocles.
(d) Polyneices and Eteocles.
5. When the wild women scratch at the ground, what appears, in The Bacchae?
(b) Milk and honey.
(d) Water and fire.
6. Dionysus leads Pentheus away, saying that who will bring him back in her arms?
7. Who does the messenger tell Creon is dead near the end of The Phoenician Women?
(a) All answers are correct.
8. What appears when one of the wild women strikes a rock with a stick in The Bacchae?
(a) A tree.
(b) A team of leopards.
(c) A fire.
(d) A spring of water.
9. What appears when one of the wild women of the Bacchae strikes the ground?
(a) A spring of wine.
(c) A fire.
(d) A spring of milk.
10. Who kills the dragon that Ares has fathered?
11. Who does Eteocles pray to for victory in the duel?
12. After the battle in The Phoenician Women, who enters, crying for his son's death?
13. Who slips on a stone, and his leg is exposed during the duel?
14. Who is Pentheus' mother?
15. Who has the greater army in the war in The Phoenician Women?
(b) The Trojans.
(c) The Argives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the notable structure seen in the setting of The Bacchae?
2. Who delivers the opening speech of exposition in The Bacchae?
3. Who is killed by stones dropped from the wall in the battle in The Phoenician Women?
4. Eteocles decrees anyone who buries his brother in Thebes be what?
5. Pentheus has heard of a trickster from where, claiming that Dionysus is a god?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)