|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eteocles decrees anyone who buries his brother in Thebes be what?
2. Dionysus leads Pentheus away, saying that who will bring him back in her arms?
3. What does Dionysus strike down with lightning?
(a) The city.
(b) The palace.
(c) The fortress.
(d) The trees.
4. How many gates surround Thebes?
5. Whose army is chased away at the end of the battle in The Phoenician Women?
6. How does Eteocles suggest they attack the opposing army?
(a) At night.
(b) At noon.
(c) At dawn.
(d) At dusk.
7. Who is now preparing for a battle to the death, according to the messenger after the battle in The Phoenician Women?
(a) Teiresius and Polyneices.
(b) Tydeus and Eteocles.
(c) Polyneices and Eteocles.
(d) Creon and Tydeus.
8. In The Bacchae, the chorus sings that ______ men are punished by the gods.
9. Who goes to stop the duel to the death in The Phoenician Women?
(a) Creon and Jocasta.
(b) Eteocles and Jocasta.
(d) Jocasta calls Antigone.
10. How does Dionysus appear when he enters?
(a) As a god.
(b) As a woman.
(c) As a man.
(d) As a bull.
11. Who is Cadmus' grandson?
12. Dionysus says that Pentheus must dress how to avoid being killed by the celebrants?
(a) As Zeus.
(b) As a shepherd.
(c) As a woman.
(d) As Dionysus.
13. Dionysus offers to lead Pentheus where?
(a) To the villagers.
(b) To the heavens.
(c) To the women.
(d) To the gates.
14. Who adamantly does NOT worship Dionysus in The Bacchae?
15. Who accompanies Creon to see Teiresius?
Short Answer Questions
1. What appears when one of the wild women strikes a rock with a stick in The Bacchae?
2. Who attacks with spears, but is fought off by the Thebian army in The Phoenician Women?
3. What does Menoeceus do during the battle in The Phoenician Women?
4. Who is killed by stones dropped from the wall in the battle in The Phoenician Women?
5. Polyneices, with his last breath, begs for what?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)