|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Zeus strike down from the gate with lightning in the battle of The Phoenician Women?
2. Who adamantly does NOT worship Dionysus in The Bacchae?
3. Dionysus is the god of ____ and fertility.
4. In what city-state is The Bacchae set?
5. In The Bacchae, the chorus sings that ______ men are punished by the gods.
6. Who accompanies Creon to see Teiresius?
7. How does Eteocles suggest they attack the opposing army?
(a) At dusk.
(b) At night.
(c) At noon.
(d) At dawn.
8. Pentheus has heard of a trickster from where, claiming that Dionysus is a god?
9. Who is Cadmus' grandson?
10. Who has been gossiping that Dionysus is NOT the son of Zeus?
(a) Agave's mother.
(c) Semele's sisters.
11. How many captains does Creon suggest using to ambush the army?
12. Who welcomes Dionysus after he escapes the stable?
13. What is the notable structure seen in the setting of The Bacchae?
(a) A statue.
(b) Dionysus' altar.
(c) Apollo's altar.
(d) A smoking tomb.
14. Who is killed by stones dropped from the wall in the battle in The Phoenician Women?
15. What is the setting for the opening of The Bacchae?
(a) A palace.
(b) A Dionysian altar.
(c) Apollo's shrine.
(d) A farm house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What god does the chorus bemoan in the last half of The Phoenician Women?
2. Who drops stones from the wall during the battle in The Phoenician Women?
3. Who does the messenger tell Creon is dead near the end of The Phoenician Women?
4. What appears when one of the wild women of the Bacchae strikes the ground?
5. What natural disaster does Dionysus call forth in The Bacchae?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)