|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In The Bacchae, the chorus sings that ______ men are punished by the gods.
2. How does Dionysus appear when he enters?
(a) As a man.
(b) As a god.
(c) As a bull.
(d) As a woman.
3. Who does the messenger tell Creon is dead near the end of The Phoenician Women?
(d) All answers are correct.
4. Who does Creon tell Eteocles has captured an opposing soldier?
5. Who takes a sword and stabs herself in the end of The Phoenician Women?
6. Of the wild women of The Bacchae, who hears the cows and wakes the other women up?
7. Who is Dionysus' mother?
8. Who is the blind prophet in The Phoenician Women?
(b) The pedagogue.
9. What does Dionysus strike down with lightning?
(a) The trees.
(b) The fortress.
(c) The city.
(d) The palace.
10. Who is the new leader of Thebes at the end of The Phoenician Women?
11. Who has been gossiping that Dionysus is NOT the son of Zeus?
(b) Semele's sisters.
(d) Agave's mother.
12. Instead of Dionysus, what is in the stable that is to be Dionysus' prison?
13. Who is now preparing for a battle to the death, according to the messenger after the battle in The Phoenician Women?
(a) Tydeus and Eteocles.
(b) Polyneices and Eteocles.
(c) Teiresius and Polyneices.
(d) Creon and Tydeus.
14. Whose army is chased away at the end of the battle in The Phoenician Women?
15. What is the notable structure seen in the setting of The Bacchae?
(a) Apollo's altar.
(b) Dionysus' altar.
(c) A statue.
(d) A smoking tomb.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Antigone's betrothed husband the son of?
2. How does Eteocles suggest they attack the opposing army?
3. In what city-state is The Bacchae set?
4. What is the setting for the opening of The Bacchae?
5. On what mountain are the wild women performing miracles in The Bacchae?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)