|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
(a) Get a cold from walking home so often.
(b) Leave them soon to get married.
(c) Get a bad reputation for dancing with so many men.
(d) Leave them soon to find another job.
2. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
(a) Doing most of her chores for her.
(b) Claiming that she should not be asked to work.
(c) Sneaking downstairs to clean up during the night.
(d) Quietly asking her to do her chores over again.
3. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
(a) She is a friend of the family who needed work.
(b) She is Zeena's cousin and acts as her aid.
(c) She is a hired girl acting as Zeena's aid.
(d) She is Ethan's cousin, and acts as their housekeeper.
4. Who almost runs into the elm when sledding?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Hale.
(b) Mattie Silver and Denis Eady.
(c) Zeena and Ethan Frome.
(d) Ned Hale and Ruth Varnum.
5. Ethan is dismayed to find ________________________.
(a) Mattie has disappeared into the crowd.
(b) Mattie is forced to dance with an undesirable partner.
(c) Mattie dancing happily with the grocer's son.
(d) Mattie standing alone in a corner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan asks Mattie _________________________________.
2. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
3. Ethan looks forward to the walks to meet Mattie because ______________________________.
4. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
5. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)