|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nick make love to Bill's sister?
2. How does the narrator of "A Natural History of the Dead" describe death?
3. What does the man in "Get a Seeing Eye Dog" not want his wife to have to do?
4. What does Mr. Wheeler tease his waitress about?
5. What will happen to Nick if he is caught in "The Last Good Country"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the man spraying cologne in "The Butterfly and the Tank"?
2. What happens when Harry and Wesley meet Captain Willie?
3. How does Cayetano spend his days in the hospital?
4. What does the job that the narrator holds entail in "Black Ass at the Cross Roads"?
5. What does Nick think about while he is driving with his son?
6. How does the narrator of "A Natural History of the Dead" wish to present his information about death?
7. Why does the man in "Get a Seeing-Eyed Dog" ask his wife to leave him?
8. What does Jimmy witness on "The Train Trip"?
9. How is Blindy blinded?
10. What does the matador do when he receives notices about his mother's grave fee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Hemingway. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plots they are involved in?
Essay Topic 2
There were many characters in these stories who were manipulated and persuaded to do things they did not want to do. What are some of these instances, and how are those characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway includes some ingenious forms of irony in these stories. What are some of these examples, and how does their ironic nature affect the plot of the stories they are included in?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)