|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen to Nick if he is caught in "The Last Good Country"?
2. What do Harry and Wesley sell?
3. What does the man in "Get a Seeing Eye Dog" ask his wife to do?
4. Who is Nick driving with in "Fathers and Sons"?
5. Where does Gran Via get the wine they are serving?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Al ask Edwin the night before he heads off to battle?
2. What happens to the three men who Harry refuses to take to the U.S. one day?
3. What causes an attack on the house Edwin is living in in "Landscape with Figures"?
4. What does Edwin do when he suspects that Luis is a Fascist?
5. How does Maria act when she is captured in "Nobody Ever Dies"?
6. What secret does Helena tell Robert after she drinks absinthe?
7. What happens when Harry and Wesley meet Captain Willie?
8. What does David regret doing in "An African Story"?
9. What happens to the faithful bull when he is set out to breed?
10. Why does the man in "Get a Seeing-Eyed Dog" ask his wife to leave him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nick Adams was a character we were able to follow through a number of different stories. How does he change over the course of his life, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Death is an integral part of a number of these stories. What are some of the most significant instances of death, and how does it change the course of the plot in these stories?
Essay Topic 3
Protection is a strong theme in these stories. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)