|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the British man in "Landscape with Figures" do against protest from the others?
2. What kind of therapy is Stevie receiving in "Great News From the Mainland"?
3. What does the bull refuse to do?
4. Where are the soldiers hiding in "Under the Ridge"?
5. Why does the boy in "A Day's Wait" think he is going to die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the good lion do when he is mocked for his strange eating habits?
2. What happens to the three men who Harry refuses to take to the U.S. one day?
3. What does Jimmy do while his father is still sleeping in "The Porter"?
4. What happens to the man spraying cologne in "The Butterfly and the Tank"?
5. How does Cayetano spend his days in the hospital?
6. Why does the boy in "A Day's Wait" think he is going to die, and how is he calmed down?
7. What happens to Paco in "Under the Ridge"?
8. What does David regret doing in "An African Story"?
9. What makes Stevie's father disappointed in him?
10. How does the narrator of "A Natural History of the Dead" wish to present his information about death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Failure is a strong theme in these stories. Which of the plot lines best displays this theme, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Sexuality is a theme presented in a number of these stories, and it is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances, and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 3
Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of these stories. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how does the presence of this theme affect the outcome of those stories?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)