|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Frazer spend most of his free time doing?
2. What disease does the woman's husband have in "One Reader Writes"?
3. Where does Harry live?
4. What is the name of the man who is shot in "The Butterfly and the Tank"?
5. What do David and his dog find in "An African Story"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nick do for the Italian army after he has been discharged?
2. What does the matador do when he receives notices about his mother's grave fee?
3. What is Nick good at doing with women?
4. What does Edwin do when he suspects that Luis is a Fascist?
5. How does Mr. Wheeler keep contact with his son, and how do Stevie's doctor's feel about his progress in the mental institution?
6. Why does the man in "Get a Seeing-Eyed Dog" ask his wife to leave him?
7. What causes an attack on the house Edwin is living in in "Landscape with Figures"?
8. What does Jimmy witness on "The Train Trip"?
9. How is Blindy blinded?
10. What does Jimmy do while his father is still sleeping in "The Porter"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway includes some ingenious forms of irony in these stories. What are some of these examples, and how does their ironic nature affect the plot of the stories they are included in?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in these stories are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how do their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There were a number of unfair restrictions discussed in these stories. What are some of these restrictions, and how does their presence affect the stories they are discussed in?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)