|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is called the opium of the people in "The Gambler, The Nun, and the Radio"?
2. Which of the following is NOT described in "A Natural History of the Dead"?
3. Who pays the matador's bills while he is out of the country?
4. Where does the woman's husband in "One Reader Writes" serve for 3 years?
5. Who is Jimmy traveling with in "The Train Trip"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the boy in "A Day's Wait" think he is going to die, and how is he calmed down?
2. What happens to the faithful bull when he is set out to breed?
3. What does Jimmy witness on "The Train Trip"?
4. What is Nick good at doing with women?
5. What does Littless do when she runs away with Nick in "The Last Good Country"?
6. What makes Stevie's father disappointed in him?
7. What does the good lion do when he is mocked for his strange eating habits?
8. What does Jimmy do while his father is still sleeping in "The Porter"?
9. What does Nick think about while he is driving with his son?
10. What does the job that the narrator holds entail in "Black Ass at the Cross Roads"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Training and education are topics of discussion in these stories. Where do these topics appear in this book, and what affect do they have on the characters involved in those plots?
Essay Topic 2
There were a number of unfair restrictions discussed in these stories. What are some of these restrictions, and how does their presence affect the stories they are discussed in?
Essay Topic 3
Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of these stories. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how does the presence of this theme affect the outcome of those stories?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)