|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While a blurring force comes through and kills the creatures Gander is afraid of, what is Esk able to do?
2. What is slow and erratic and on which Granny experiences trouble when she tries to fly?
3. What inhabits the Dungeon Dimension that encircles the universe of time and space?
4. What plays an important role in the great battle in the library of Unseen University that occurs later in the novel?
5. When Esk tries to move the staff, what does she do?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Granny enters the Great Hall and approaches Cutangle, what does he do?
2. What happens to Esk when she becomes the mind of the stones of the University?
3. When Esk fights with the Things, what does she realize about their bodies?
4. What do the dwarves offer to do for Granny, and what does she want instead?
5. Who is Master Treatle and why is Adab Gander negotiating with him?
6. What is the nightmare that Esk has about the Strange Things when Granny finds her?
7. Who are the inhabitants of the Shades?
8. How is the wizard apprentice process different in Esk and Simon's time from previously?
9. What does Granny pretend to do for the person in charge of the laundry operations?
10. How does Granny enter the University and what does she find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Equal Rites" by Terry Pratchett is a comic fantasy. Describe what elements of fantasy are revealed in the book. Is the book geared towards adults? Why? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief portrait study of Granny. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her through her life? How does she change from the beginning of the book to the middle to the end?
Essay Topic 3
Whom do you think is the strongest character portrayed in "Equal Rites"? Why? Explain your opinion with examples drawn from the book.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)