|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Granny notice the sound of hammers everywhere?
2. When Esk tries to move the staff, what does she do?
3. When the man Esk meets in the square tells her about caravans, what does she point out to him?
4. When Esk tries to enter Simon's room and cannot get the door open, what does she say to the student wizards?
5. When Esk finds a book similar to Simon's, what does she notice that is different about the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Esk say that Cutangle finds fascinating and unprecedented but against the lore?
2. What happens to Granny when she travels to find Esk?
3. Who is Master Treatle and why is Adab Gander negotiating with him?
4. When Esk fights with the Things, what does she realize about their bodies?
5. What does Granny transform herself into to deflect Cutangle's attacks?
6. What does Granny pretend to do for the person in charge of the laundry operations?
7. When the senior wizards arrive in the library, what do they think has happened to Simon, and what do they do about him?
8. What does Esk ask the man who is counting tobacco and what does he tell her?
9. Who is in charge of the laundry operations and where does this person live?
10. Why does Esk get angry with Simon and Master Treatle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The staff or broom appears throughout the book as a magical device with a life of its own. Describe the staff and its journey throughout the story.
Essay Topic 2
Granny tells Esk about "headology." What is headology? How is it practiced? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the discussion about witches that appears throughout the book. What is a witch according to Granny? What is a witch according to Cutangle? How does this definition change with the arrival of Esk? What are witches traditionally associated with?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)