|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Granny encounters hunters, what do they turn out to be?
2. After Esk tries to move the staff, reality rebounds like a sloshing pond. In what does reality cause more changes and tiny whirlpools?
3. When Esk enters the vehicle, what does she find Simon doing?
4. What did Simon call up that the staff saved Esk from?
5. What flows gently rather than appearing dramatically as on spherical planets?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the senior wizards arrive in the library, what do they think has happened to Simon, and what do they do about him?
2. How does Granny enter the University and what does she find?
3. What does Granny pretend to do for the person in charge of the laundry operations?
4. How does Esk enter the library and what does she notice that is different?
5. Why does Granny tell Esk not to draw attention to herself through magic?
6. What do the dwarves offer to do for Granny, and what does she want instead?
7. What does Granny transform herself into to deflect Cutangle's attacks?
8. Who is traveling with Master Treatle?
9. What happens to Granny when she travels to find Esk?
10. Who is Master Treatle and why is Adab Gander negotiating with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief portrait study of Esk. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief portrait study of Granny. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her through her life? How does she change from the beginning of the book to the middle to the end?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Esk and Granny.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Esk has a direct influence upon? What are some events that Granny had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)