|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Granny transform into upon interacting with Cutangle?
2. When Esk quotes Granny on warlocks and wizards, what is she pleasantly surprised to learn?
3. Who cannot remember the library ever being cleaned but allows Esk to do it?
4. When the man Esk meets in the square tells her about caravans, what does she point out to him?
5. What does Simon have that makes Esk uncomfortable?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to students who fail to become wizards?
2. How is the wizard apprentice process different in Esk and Simon's time from previously?
3. Who is traveling with Master Treatle?
4. What happens in the library involving Simon?
5. What happens when Treatle's caravan arrives?
6. Who is in charge of the laundry operations and where does this person live?
7. Why does Granny tell Esk not to draw attention to herself through magic?
8. How does Esk enter the library and what does she notice that is different?
9. What do the dwarves offer to do for Granny, and what does she want instead?
10. What happens to Granny when she travels to find Esk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the discussion about witches that appears throughout the book. What is a witch according to Granny? What is a witch according to Cutangle? How does this definition change with the arrival of Esk? What are witches traditionally associated with?
Essay Topic 2
What is Borrowing? When Esk does this for the first time, how does she change? What does she struggle with? What does she give up? How does she come back into her own body? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief portrait study of Granny. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her through her life? How does she change from the beginning of the book to the middle to the end?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)