|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the late spring, Granny takes Esk on long walks that last all day. What do they do on these trips?
2. Granny advises Esk not to upset the owner of the mind that she borrows by trying to control it but instead to do what?
3. When Granny wakes up in her house, what does she find is too strong for her to locate Esk?
4. What view does Granny enjoy seeing when she explores high peaks?
5. While Esk does chores for Granny at her house, what does she also become good at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Esk have to do in return for being allowed to travel with the Zoon family?
2. What happens when Billet holds the staff over the baby? What does Granny propose to do with the staff and what happens to it?
3. Why does Granny enter the bee "hivemind?"
4. What happens when Esk stays behind as her two brothers go in search of help for Granny?
5. What happens when Granny finds the eagle on a snowdrift?
6. What is "headology?"
7. When Esk becomes anxious to learn magic, what does Granny suggest that she do?
8. When Esk back talks to her father as a little girl, what happens?
9. When Granny and Esk arrive in Ohulan Cutash, what do they see immediately in the marketplace and how do they both react?
10. What does Esk do when Skiller does not give her what she wants to drink?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two settings for this book. Do these settings remind you of places that exist in the world? Why? Be sure to include geography, time, and any pertinent popular culture events. How does the location of these events affect the understanding of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Granny and Cutangle begin to show interest in each other in a romantic way. What does Granny say or do that inspires this reaction from Cutangle and vice-versa? How do bystanders react to this? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Granny tells Esk about "headology." What is headology? How is it practiced? Describe.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)