|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Granny want to buy in the city?
2. When Granny discovers that Esk is traveling on a vessel that belongs to the Zoon family, what does she consult to find the young girl?
3. Where is Granny able to figure out that Esk is headed towards?
4. After Granny subdues Esk and brings her back home, what does she find and use the raw power of the staff to unravel?
5. At night, while Granny rests, Esk wanders through the city. Where does she end up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Esk have to do in return for being allowed to travel with the Zoon family?
2. Describe Hilta Goatfounder.
3. What does Granny decide to do after she realizes that Esk is different from other witches and wizards she knows?
4. When Esk asks why Granny does not use magic to light a fire, what does Granny say?
5. What does the wizard Billet come into the town of Bad Ass for and what does he find?
6. What does Hilta see in Esk's palm and what does she advise?
7. What is the practical course that Granny teaches Esk when Esk stays at her house?
8. Why does Granny enter the bee "hivemind?"
9. What happens when Billet holds the staff over the baby? What does Granny propose to do with the staff and what happens to it?
10. Describe how Discworld is different from other planets.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the discussion about witches that appears throughout the book. What is a witch according to Granny? What is a witch according to Cutangle? How does this definition change with the arrival of Esk? What are witches traditionally associated with?
Essay Topic 2
"Equal Rites" by Terry Pratchett is a comic fantasy. Describe what elements of fantasy are revealed in the book. Is the book geared towards adults? Why? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
The staff or broom appears throughout the book as a magical device with a life of its own. Describe the staff and its journey throughout the story.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)