|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Granny calms Esk who is panicking. What is the vital lesson that Esk has learned?
2. What does Esk notice that they are passing by as the boat travels?
3. When Esk is flying, what ability does she start to lose?
4. Whom does Granny write a letter to at the Unseen University?
5. Whom does Granny tell that Esk needs to learn proper magic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Granny decide to do after she realizes that Esk is different from other witches and wizards she knows?
2. What happens when Billet holds the staff over the baby? What does Granny propose to do with the staff and what happens to it?
3. What does Esk have to do in return for being allowed to travel with the Zoon family?
4. When Esk and her two brothers go to Granny's house, what do they notice around her house?
5. When Granny turns into an owl and flies to the orchard to talk to the apple tree, what does the tree tell her?
6. What does Hilta see in Esk's palm and what does she advise?
7. What happens when Granny finds the eagle on a snowdrift?
8. What does Esk do when Skiller does not give her what she wants to drink?
9. Esk's use of the staff demonstrates something to Granny. What is that?
10. Where do they bury the wizard, and what comes up in his place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief portrait study of Granny. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her through her life? How does she change from the beginning of the book to the middle to the end?
Essay Topic 2
Gender is an issue that is frequently debated, discussed, and described in this book. How is gender portrayed through the characters of Esk, Granny, Cutangle, Mr. Treatle, Simon, and Mrs. Whitlow? What stereotypes or cultural or societal views are reinforced, questioned, or rejected? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short essay analyzing the different emotional changes of Esk, Simon, and Granny, looking at similar events and exploring how they affect each of them quite differently.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)