|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Granny want to buy in the city?
2. When Granny discovers that Esk is traveling on a vessel that belongs to the Zoon family, what does she consult to find the young girl?
3. When Esk parts company with the Zoon family, what does she leave with?
4. Granny advises Esk not to upset the owner of the mind that she borrows by trying to control it but instead to do what?
5. How old is the eighth child of the blacksmith when Mrs. Smith worries about Granny in the winter and wants the children to check on the old witch?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Esk back talks to her father as a little girl, what happens?
2. What happens when Esk stays behind as her two brothers go in search of help for Granny?
3. When Granny turns into an owl and flies to the orchard to talk to the apple tree, what does the tree tell her?
4. Why does Granny enter the bee "hivemind?"
5. What does Granny decide to do after she realizes that Esk is different from other witches and wizards she knows?
6. What does Esk do when Skiller does not give her what she wants to drink?
7. Why does Granny have a stormy scene with the Smith family?
8. Where do they bury the wizard, and what comes up in his place?
9. How does Esk help the head of the Zoon family in Zemphis and what does she get in return?
10. When Esk and her two brothers go to Granny's house, what do they notice around her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of taking an ethereal journey versus just a physical one? How does this affect Esk?
Part 1) What is the difference in the journeys of Esk compared to those of Simon?
Part 2) Describe Esk's experience on her second trip and how it varies greatly from her first Becoming. What fears has she conquered?
Part 3) Does Esk or Simon gain more knowledge and understanding from their journeys? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Granny and Cutangle begin to show interest in each other in a romantic way. What does Granny say or do that inspires this reaction from Cutangle and vice-versa? How do bystanders react to this? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
What is Borrowing? When Esk does this for the first time, how does she change? What does she struggle with? What does she give up? How does she come back into her own body? Describe.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)