|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Granny and Smith bury the wizard in the family orchard, what grows in his place?
2. When Esk asks why Granny does not use magic to light a fire, what does Granny say in response?
3. When Esk waits for Granny's "mindshape" to leave, what does she do?
4. Who/What flies through space on four giant elephants atop a massive star turtle?
5. Skiller laughs when Esk asks to drink what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Discworld is different from other planets.
2. What happens when Billet holds the staff over the baby? What does Granny propose to do with the staff and what happens to it?
3. When Esk asks why Granny does not use magic to light a fire, what does Granny say?
4. When Granny turns into an owl and flies to the orchard to talk to the apple tree, what does the tree tell her?
5. Where does Esk go at night in Ohulan Cutash and what does she ask to drink?
6. When Granny and Esk arrive in Ohulan Cutash, what do they see immediately in the marketplace and how do they both react?
7. What happens when Esk stays behind as her two brothers go in search of help for Granny?
8. When Esk back talks to her father as a little girl, what happens?
9. What does Granny decide to do after she realizes that Esk is different from other witches and wizards she knows?
10. What does Hilta see in Esk's palm and what does she advise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Terry Pratchett describe the Things? What do you find attractive or repulsive about the Things? What does Esk learn when she interacts with the Things? What makes them attracted to her? What repels them? Can she control them or not? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief portrait study of Granny. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her through her life? How does she change from the beginning of the book to the middle to the end?
Essay Topic 3
Granny tells Esk about "headology." What is headology? How is it practiced? Describe.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)