|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What arcs from Esk's fingertips, flares in the hearth, melts the ironware, and burrows into the hearthstone?
(b) A blue light.
(c) It arcs from Granny's fingertips.
2. When Esk is flying, what ability does she start to lose?
(a) To be a human.
(b) To speak.
(c) To know how to fly.
(d) To hold onto memories.
3. In the late spring, Granny takes Esk on long walks that last all day. What do they do on these trips?
(a) Collect rare plants.
(d) Cast spells.
4. What does Esk learn to make with Granny in the spring, taking a practical course instead of learning magic?
(a) Ointments, infusions, and potions.
5. While Esk does chores for Granny at her house, what does she also become good at?
(a) Listing plants by pharmacological use.
(b) Doing spells.
(c) Practicing magic.
(d) Using the staff.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pratchett describe that normally prevents wolves from eating humans in the first section of the book?
2. What can the eighth son of an eighth son become?
3. When you enter a creature's mind, what is difficult upon exiting?
4. When Granny gets back to her house, she finds that the staff has returned and thrusts it into the fireplace. However, what gets destroyed while the staff remains unmarked?
5. When Granny Weatherwax appears to have died in her bed, what do the Smith boys do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Discworld is different from other planets.
2. What is the practical course that Granny teaches Esk when Esk stays at her house?
3. Describe Hilta Goatfounder.
4. What is "headology?"
5. What happens when Esk stays behind as her two brothers go in search of help for Granny?
6. What does Esk have to do in return for being allowed to travel with the Zoon family?
7. Why does Granny have a stormy scene with the Smith family?
8. What does Granny decide to do after she realizes that Esk is different from other witches and wizards she knows?
9. What happens when Esk leaves Granny's house but does not reappear for a long time?
10. Why does Granny enter the bee "hivemind?"
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)