|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the eighth child of the blacksmith when Mrs. Smith worries about Granny in the winter and wants the children to check on the old witch?
2. When Granny is able to restore Esk to her body, whom does she free that now holds a grudge?
(a) The eagle.
(b) The goat.
(c) The wolf.
(d) The dog.
3. When Granny locks her cottage and takes Esk with her, what is the name of the nearby metropolis that they visit?
(a) Ohulan Cutash.
(b) Ankh Morph.
4. When Granny asks Esk to fetch her witchcraft, what does she say Esk must know, without which there is no point to teaching her witchcraft?
(a) How to cook a toad.
(b) How to cure a wart.
(c) The way to make a spell.
(d) The secret of witchcraft that it contains.
5. When Esk back talks, what does her father do that causes a series of odd happenings and frayed nerves?
(a) Yells at her mother.
(b) Slaps her.
(c) Beats her.
(d) Locks her in the closet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What arcs from Esk's fingertips, flares in the hearth, melts the ironware, and burrows into the hearthstone?
2. What can the eighth son of an eighth son become?
3. When Granny tells the Smith family about Esk going to the Unseen University, what does Esk do?
4. What does Esk learn to make with Granny in the spring, taking a practical course instead of learning magic?
5. What kinds of books does Granny like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the wizard Billet come into the town of Bad Ass for and what does he find?
2. When Esk and her two brothers go to Granny's house, what do they notice around her house?
3. What happens when Esk stays behind as her two brothers go in search of help for Granny?
4. What is "headology?"
5. What happens when Esk escapes from the Skillers?
6. What is the practical course that Granny teaches Esk when Esk stays at her house?
7. Describe Hilta Goatfounder.
8. When Esk asks why Granny does not use magic to light a fire, what does Granny say?
9. What does Granny decide to do after she realizes that Esk is different from other witches and wizards she knows?
10. What does Esk have to do in return for being allowed to travel with the Zoon family?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)