|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Simon have that makes Esk uncomfortable?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A quill.
(c) A book.
(d) A pen.
2. After what event is Simon still not awake and lying in the infirmary?
(b) Being hit by a shelf.
(c) Fighting the trolls.
(d) Falling off a cliff.
3. What requires clarity of thought according to the Vice-Chancellor?
4. Which two of the following are one and the same?
(a) Wizardry, high magic.
(b) Sorcerers, wizards.
(c) Dwarves, women.
(d) Giants, killers.
5. While Esk is in the bustling square of the town, she pulls on the hem of a man's clothing. What is the man counting?
(a) Lazy women.
(c) Chess pieces.
(d) Bales of tobacco.
6. What kind of book is Esk unsuccessful in finding in the library?
(a) One with happy rabbits and kittens on the cover.
(b) Antique scrolls.
(c) One with big words.
(d) One with magic spells.
7. After Esk tries to move the staff, reality rebounds like a sloshing pond. In what does reality cause more changes and tiny whirlpools?
(a) A wizard panel.
(b) The fabric of existence.
(c) A river.
(d) The time portal.
8. When Esk tries to enter Simon's room and cannot get the door open, what does she say to the student wizards?
(a) "Cast a spell!"
(b) "Open it!"
(c) "Do your magic!"
(d) "Bloody well wizz!"
9. What is the only mind that Granny says that she can work with to influence?
10. What is the area inhabited by disreputable people who dabble in soft magic that Granny stays at?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) The Shades.
(c) Pine Hill.
(d) Underground Lair.
11. What did Esk do because Simon got hurt that makes Granny angry with her?
(a) She danced with enemies.
(b) She slept outside.
(c) She threw the staff into the river for trying to kill Simon.
(d) She conjured up spirits.
12. When Esk examines entire worlds, what are they encased in?
(a) Octagon, pyramid, and prism.
(b) Rectangle, prism, and a pyramid.
(c) Prism, sphere, and a ten-sided block.
(d) Pyramid, sphere, and a ten-sided block.
13. What does Master Treatle expound on that is used by wizards to give people whatever they want?
(b) Magic potion.
(c) Wishing well.
(d) High magic.
14. What is the self-assembled creature that Esk sees when she falls down in her magical state on the cold sand and sees Simon sitting in a circle?
(a) Fierce bear.
(b) Wild dog.
(c) Chicken, warthog, moth, wolf, and unicorn.
15. What creature picks up Esk in her dream in its talons, carrying her and dropping her as it screeches?
(a) The thing with the face of a drowned rabbit.
(b) A dinosaur.
(c) A hawk.
(d) An eagle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the city people that are friendly and have guests every night that Esk notices?
2. Who cannot remember the library ever being cleaned but allows Esk to do it?
3. What does Cutangle transform into upon interacting with Granny?
4. What flows gently rather than appearing dramatically as on spherical planets?
5. What did Simon call up that the staff saved Esk from?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)