|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the books fly off the shelves in the library, what happens to the floor?
(a) It explodes.
(b) It becomes a snake.
(c) It turns to fine silver sand.
(d) It becomes a wet puddle.
2. What land is rich in magic and has powerful light?
3. When Esk tries to enter Simon's room and cannot get the door open, what does she say to the student wizards?
(a) "Do your magic!"
(b) "Open it!"
(c) "Bloody well wizz!"
(d) "Cast a spell!"
4. While wizards' minds give shape to thoughts, what do witches work with?
(b) The past.
(d) What exists in the world.
5. While Esk is in the bustling square of the town, she pulls on the hem of a man's clothing. What is the man counting?
(a) Lazy women.
(c) Chess pieces.
(d) Bales of tobacco.
6. When Simon appears in the library, what does he warn Esk about books?
(a) That they prevent you from practicing magic.
(b) That they take forever to read.
(c) That they are addictive.
(d) That they can be aggressive.
7. When Granny falls off her flying device, where does she end up?
(b) Bear trap.
8. Who is the wizard that Adab Gander, a caravan leader, negotiates with to travel with them?
(a) Master Treatle.
9. What does Esk find that turns out to be a less expensive and wider-ranging means of transportation than river barges?
10. When Esk quotes Granny on warlocks and wizards, what is she pleasantly surprised to learn?
(a) The dwarves look suspicious.
(b) Treatle has great respect for witches.
(c) Hilta fights back.
(d) Simon does not laugh.
11. Who or what appears often in Esk's dreams?
(d) Hideous dark monsters.
12. When the man Esk meets in the square tells her about caravans, what does she point out to him?
(a) That he is short.
(b) That she is tired.
(c) That the bales are infected with worms.
(d) That the caravans are slow.
13. What is the only mind that Granny says that she can work with to influence?
14. When Esk feels a state of nothingness, what feeling does she know that she must hold on in order to return to her human state?
15. What is a beacon to Shadow creatures who hate those who are alive?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the self-assembled creature that Esk sees when she falls down in her magical state on the cold sand and sees Simon sitting in a circle?
2. When Esk tries to move the staff, what does she do?
3. What does Simon have that makes Esk uncomfortable?
4. In her dream, what does Esk see that seems to be hosting a party but she cannot enter through its gates?
5. When Esk enters the vehicle, what does she find Simon doing?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)