|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Simon have that makes Esk uncomfortable?
(a) A book.
(b) A hammer.
(c) A quill.
(d) A pen.
2. When Esk runs away from the caravan, what does she want to prove to the group and to everyone?
(a) That she can be both a wizard and a witch.
(b) That she is capable of killing them all.
(c) That she is beautiful.
(d) That she is intelligent.
3. What is the only mind that Granny says that she can work with to influence?
4. What does Esk find that turns out to be a less expensive and wider-ranging means of transportation than river barges?
5. What kind of book is Esk unsuccessful in finding in the library?
(a) One with happy rabbits and kittens on the cover.
(b) Antique scrolls.
(c) One with big words.
(d) One with magic spells.
6. What is the area inhabited by disreputable people who dabble in soft magic that Granny stays at?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) Pine Hill.
(c) Underground Lair.
(d) The Shades.
7. What requires clarity of thought according to the Vice-Chancellor?
8. When the books fly off the shelves in the library, what happens to the floor?
(a) It explodes.
(b) It becomes a snake.
(c) It becomes a wet puddle.
(d) It turns to fine silver sand.
9. What is a manual for invoking the spirits of the dead?
(d) Book of the Yellowing Pages.
10. When Esk feels a state of nothingness, what feeling does she know that she must hold on in order to return to her human state?
11. Where does Esk lead Granny to see Cutangle at dinner?
(b) Secret garden.
(c) Great Hall.
12. While a blurring force comes through and kills the creatures Gander is afraid of, what is Esk able to do?
13. What flows gently rather than appearing dramatically as on spherical planets?
14. What does Esk realize that the bodies of the creatures attacking her are held together by?
(b) Spider webs.
(c) Metal rods.
(d) Wishful thinking.
15. What are the nasty creatures that threaten to kill Gander's traveling caravan?
Short Answer Questions
1. After what event is Simon still not awake and lying in the infirmary?
2. What does Granny transform into upon interacting with Cutangle?
3. What does the creature who assumes Simon's form want from Esk?
4. When blinding blue light floods Simon's room, what does Esk's hair look like?
5. When Esk leaves the Zoon family and wanders into town, what does she hope will happen so that the staff will appear in her hand?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)