|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Zoon family agree to keep Esk on board in return for?
(a) Teaching them alchemy.
(b) Doing magic.
(c) Doing chores.
(d) Teaching them how to control the minds of animals.
2. What does Granny want to buy in the city?
3. Who/What flies through space on four giant elephants atop a massive star turtle?
(b) Bad Ass.
4. How old is the eighth child of the blacksmith when Mrs. Smith worries about Granny in the winter and wants the children to check on the old witch?
5. When Esk is in the body of the animal, what does she dream about?
(a) Falling out of the sky.
(c) Living forever.
(d) Big creatures and stars.
6. When Esk is flying, what ability does she start to lose?
(a) To be a human.
(b) To hold onto memories.
(c) To know how to fly.
(d) To speak.
7. Where does the Zoon family reach when Esk accompanies a Zoon family member to shore?
(a) Land of Dreams.
8. Granny calms Esk who is panicking. What is the vital lesson that Esk has learned?
(a) Becoming stronger.
(c) Going beyond Borrowing to becoming.
(d) Having a strong mind.
9. What did Granny do in her youth that she found more difficult to do as she got older?
(a) Become a wolf.
(b) Change into a serpent.
(c) Enter a tree.
(d) Enter the minds of animals.
10. What does Granny seem afraid of?
(a) Doing magic.
(b) Having children.
(d) Being a wizard.
11. In the first section of the book, what is the primary theme that the author Terry Pratchett discusses?
(a) Is death preventable?
(b) Can a female be a wizard?
(c) Is magic possible?
(d) Are animals magical?
12. When Granny discovers that Esk is traveling on a vessel that belongs to the Zoon family, what does she consult to find the young girl?
(a) A hanging broomstick.
(b) The staff.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A crystal ball.
13. Who seems very different from siblings and exhibits odd behavior at Granny's house?
14. When Esk asks why Granny does not use magic to light a fire, what does Granny say in response?
(a) Fires fight magic.
(b) Magic cannot make a fire.
(c) One must know when to use magic or not.
(d) It is much easier to use a match.
15. When Granny locks her cottage and takes Esk with her, what is the name of the nearby metropolis that they visit?
(a) Ankh Morph.
(c) Ohulan Cutash.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Granny tell that Esk needs to learn proper magic?
2. When Granny gets back to her house, she finds that the staff has returned and thrusts it into the fireplace. However, what gets destroyed while the staff remains unmarked?
3. When Esk is frustrated with the Skillers, what does she realize about how magic works for her?
4. What does Esk notice that they are passing by as the boat travels?
5. Who are the brothers that fetch Esk at her tree and take her to the witch's house in the first section of the book?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)