|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the fortune-teller reads Esk's palm, what does the fortune-teller see that Esk will have?
(c) Strange journeys and exploration.
2. While Granny is nervous about being in the city, Esk enjoys the colors, smell, and noise. What is it a mix of?
(a) Pleasure and pain.
(b) Drugs and alcohol.
(c) Religion and commerce.
(d) Prostitution and violence.
3. After Gulta becomes an animal, who agrees with Esk that her brother is more fitting as an animal?
(b) Her father.
4. What role did Granny assume when she "borrows" another's mind?
(a) That of a magician.
(b) That of a crow.
(c) That of an evil medium doing a midnight séance.
(d) That of a predator swooping down on prey.
5. How old is the eighth child of the blacksmith when Mrs. Smith worries about Granny in the winter and wants the children to check on the old witch?
6. When Esk wakes up on the boat, what does she hear?
(a) A couple fighting.
(b) A cat meowing.
(c) A dog barking.
(d) A man drinking.
7. Where does the bearded man tell Esk that they are traveling through?
(a) Upper Valley of the River Ankh.
(b) Land of Dreams.
(c) Forbidden Caves.
(d) Forgotten Language Hill.
8. When Esk is in the body of the animal, what does she dream about?
(b) Falling out of the sky.
(c) Living forever.
(d) Big creatures and stars.
9. When Granny travels in search of Esk who has entered the mind of an animal, how does she sit in lady-like fashion on her method of transport?
(a) With hands folded.
(c) Astride it.
10. What does Granny seem afraid of?
(a) Having children.
(c) Being a wizard.
(d) Doing magic.
11. What does Granny Weatherwax think should be burned because female wizards are not right?
(b) A hat.
(c) A staff.
(d) A pot.
12. Who finds the key in the privy, enabling the blacksmith's three children to enter the house and go to Granny who is in bed with the window open?
13. Granny advises Esk not to upset the owner of the mind that she borrows by trying to control it but instead to do what?
(a) Listen to it.
(b) Suggest things that are natural to it.
(c) Avoid it.
(d) Subdue it.
14. What does Granny enter to get all the drones searching for Esk?
(a) Ants' "nestmind."
(b) Bees' "hivemind."
(d) Nest of birds.
15. What is unresponsive until Granny says "please" and then waits for her to climb on board?
(a) The carpet.
(b) The eagle.
(c) A lone wolf.
(d) The staff.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Granny tells the Smith family about Esk going to the Unseen University, what does Esk do?
2. When Granny talks about men to Esk, what does she tell Esk that men are all about?
3. What can the eighth son of an eighth son become?
4. When Granny is able to restore Esk to her body, whom does she free that now holds a grudge?
5. What is the name of the wizard who comes to ask about the blacksmith's eighth son?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)