|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Skiller asks Esk to turn the taps into beer, what does she turn the liquid flowing from the beer tap into?
(b) Peach brandy.
(c) Mulled cider.
2. What does Esk notice that they are passing by as the boat travels?
(a) Colorful cliffs.
(b) Dancing mermaids.
(c) Ancient monuments.
3. Who seems very different from siblings and exhibits odd behavior at Granny's house?
4. Granny advises Esk not to upset the owner of the mind that she borrows by trying to control it but instead to do what?
(a) Avoid it.
(b) Listen to it.
(c) Suggest things that are natural to it.
(d) Subdue it.
5. Whom does Granny tell that Esk needs to learn proper magic?
6. Where does the Zoon family reach when Esk accompanies a Zoon family member to shore?
(d) Land of Dreams.
7. What does Pratchett describe that normally prevents wolves from eating humans in the first section of the book?
(a) Barbed wire.
(b) Laser beams.
(c) Magic stones.
(d) Natural selection.
8. What kinds of books does Granny like?
(a) Thin books to read in out houses.
(b) Books with pictures.
(c) Paperback books you can throw away.
(d) Glossy hardcover books that you rest your coffee on.
9. When Granny is able to restore Esk to her body, whom does she free that now holds a grudge?
(a) The dog.
(b) The eagle.
(c) The goat.
(d) The wolf.
10. What arcs from Esk's fingertips, flares in the hearth, melts the ironware, and burrows into the hearthstone?
(b) It arcs from Granny's fingertips.
(d) A blue light.
11. In the first section of the book, what is the primary theme that the author Terry Pratchett discusses?
(a) Are animals magical?
(b) Is magic possible?
(c) Is death preventable?
(d) Can a female be a wizard?
12. When Esk asks why Granny does not use magic to light a fire, what does Granny say in response?
(a) One must know when to use magic or not.
(b) It is much easier to use a match.
(c) Fires fight magic.
(d) Magic cannot make a fire.
13. When Esk waits for Granny's "mindshape" to leave, what does she do?
(a) Melts into the mind of the eagle.
(b) None of the answers is correct.
(c) Runs away.
(d) Leaves the eagle's mind.
14. After Granny subdues Esk and brings her back home, what does she find and use the raw power of the staff to unravel?
(a) Spools of magic yarn.
(b) Wound up emotions.
(c) Strong potions.
(d) Flickers of Esk's silvery mind.
15. What does Esk learn to make with Granny in the spring, taking a practical course instead of learning magic?
(a) Ointments, infusions, and potions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What or who kills the wolves in the woods surrounding Granny Weatherwax's house?
2. Who/What flies through space on four giant elephants atop a massive star turtle?
3. What does Granny seem afraid of?
4. When Esk parts company with the Zoon family, what does she leave with?
5. What is the name of the wizard who comes to ask about the blacksmith's eighth son?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)