|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sent to get Sloane's suitcase?
2. Which character says, "You must treat me gently when I'm in one of my moods"?
3. How long is Kemp not on speaking terms with his son?
4. What does Kemp say happens to his former boss?
5. What pride does Kemp remark about his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is this play similar to Theatre of the Absurd?
2. What clues lead Ed to suspect Sloane of taking the car out?
3. What is Sloane's reasoning behind the death of Kemp?
4. Describe the "seedy situation" of the neighborhood. How does it come to be?
5. What is Ed's response upon meeting Sloane? What does he ask him about?
6. How does Sloane respond when Ed corners him regarding taking out the car? What is Ed's reaction?
7. Describe Ed's character. Where does he live? What is his profession?
8. Why does Kath change her mind about covering up the murder?
9. What excuses does Sloane provide to Ed for his interactions with Kath?
10. List an example (or two) of subtext in the play. What are the character's words and what is implied by them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Which character employs the most "verbal wit" in the play? What genre of drama does this verbal sparring most closely resemble? Give examples of the verbal wit used in Entertaining Mr. Sloane.
Essay Topic 2Describe the theme of Entertaining Mr. Sloane. What methods does Orton use to express this theme? Cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3What is the irony in Entertaining Mr. Sloane? Describe the three different types of irony and explain how Orton uses each. Use examples from the text in your answer.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)