|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says, "That kind of thing happens often, I believe. For myself, I usually lock the door"?
2. Which character says, "Drinking I don't mind. Drugs I abhor. You'll get to know all my habits"?
3. What does Kath send Kemp to get from upstairs in Act One?
4. Where does Sloane ask if he meets Kemp before?
5. Who is Kath's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kath reveal that she is pregnant? How does she feel about the situation?
2. What is a "double entendre?" Give an example from the play.
3. Why does Kath change her mind about covering up the murder?
4. What is Sloane's reasoning behind the death of Kemp?
5. What excuses does Sloane provide to Ed for his interactions with Kath?
6. What does Ed tell Sloane he has to do regarding Kemp's death? What is Sloane's response?
7. Who is Kemp? What is his relationship to Kath and Ed? How old is he?
8. What "role" does Kath play to Sloane? How is this ironic?
9. Describe the "seedy situation" of the neighborhood. How does it come to be?
10. Where is the play set? What is the house like? Where is it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joe Orton's work is known for its dark comedy, macabre subjects, and farcical nature. Describe these terms and how they apply to Entertaining Mr. Sloane.
Essay Topic 2
Which character employs the most "verbal wit" in the play? What genre of drama does this verbal sparring most closely resemble? Give examples of the verbal wit used in Entertaining Mr. Sloane.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss disillusionment in Entertaining Mr. Sloane. Which characters are deluded in their vision of reality? With the past? With the future? Use examples from the text in answering this question.
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)