|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feature does Kath remark upon while bandaging him?
2. What is located next to the house?
3. What compliment does Kath remark on with Sloane in Act One?
4. In Act One, what does Kath say she buys the Dadda but he cannot stand?
5. What habit does Ed have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sloane feel about marrying Kath? Why?
2. Describe the scene in which Kath succeeds in seducing Sloane. What does the room look like? How is Kath dressed?
3. What is Ed's response to Kath keeping a lodger in the house? Why?
4. Where does Kemp recognize Sloane from? Why is this important to the plot?
5. How is this play similar to Theatre of the Absurd?
6. What are the macabre elements of Entertaining Mr. Sloane?
7. Why does Ed tell Sloane he cannot come live with him following Kemp's death?
8. What comments does Kemp say that lead to the presumption that he is bigoted? How do the others respond?
9. What does Kemp say his boss does? What is his position?
10. What does Ed offer Sloane in Act One? How does he describe the offer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Entertaining Mr. Sloane cross the barriers of taboo regarding homosexuality? How does the play portray homosexuals without using explicit terms like "gay" or "homosexual"?
Essay Topic 2
Does Entertaining Mr. Sloane carry through the test of time? Is it dated? Does this play have the same effect if produced today as it does originally? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 3
What imagery, simile, and metaphors are used in Entertaining Mr. Sloane? Describe how these contribute to the play's theme. Be sure to define the terms in your answer.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)