|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Sloane?
2. Where does Sloane say he is raised?
3. What does Kemp do during his first conversation with Sloane?
4. Where does Kath meet Sloane?
5. How long is Kemp not on speaking terms with his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ed promise Kath in return for their father speaking to him? Why does he want to speak to his father?
2. What is Ed's "take" on the situation between Kath and Tommy?
3. What does Ed offer Sloane in Act One? How does he describe the offer?
4. How old is the character of Kath? What is her age in relation to the other characters? How old does she act?
5. What does Ed tell Sloane he has to do regarding Kemp's death? What is Sloane's response?
6. What "role" does Kath play to Sloane? How is this ironic?
7. Who is Kemp? What is his relationship to Kath and Ed? How old is he?
8. How does Entertaining Mr .Sloane challenge the status quo of 1960s England?
9. How does Kemp respond to Sloane's story of the happenings with Kemp's boss?
10. Why does Ed want Sloane to move in with him? What are the "surface reasons" as well as the implications through subtext?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Ed and Kemp and between Kemp and Kath. How do these differ? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sloane "fit in" with his new home and the surrounding characters? How do you react if you enter the world of this play? Do you empathize with any of the characters? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Entertaining Mr. Sloane cross the barriers of taboo regarding homosexuality? How does the play portray homosexuals without using explicit terms like "gay" or "homosexual"?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)