|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kath meet Sloane?
2. Where does Sloane say Kemp should be?
3. What does Ed ask Sloane about first?
4. Which character says, "Drinking I don't mind. Drugs I abhor. You'll get to know all my habits"?
5. How long is Kemp not on speaking terms with his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sloane's reaction to Kath's pregnancy? What does he say?
2. What actions occurs at the beginning of Act Three? Who is present?
3. Why does Kath change her mind about covering up the murder?
4. Where does Kemp recognize Sloane from? Why is this important to the plot?
5. What do Ed and Kath plan to tell the police regarding Kemp's death? How do they plan to pull it off?
6. What are the macabre elements of Entertaining Mr. Sloane?
7. What is Ed's "take" on the situation between Kath and Tommy?
8. Why does Kath become upset early in Act Two? How does she show this? What is Sloane's response?
9. At which point in Act Three does Sloane lose the upper hand?
10. How does Entertaining Mr .Sloane challenge the status quo of 1960s England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the irony in Entertaining Mr. Sloane? Describe the three different types of irony and explain how Orton uses each. Use examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Does Entertaining Mr. Sloane carry through the test of time? Is it dated? Does this play have the same effect if produced today as it does originally? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Ed and Kemp and between Kemp and Kath. How do these differ? How are they similar?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)