|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kath pretend to do in the lounge in Act One?
2. What compliment does Kath remark on with Sloane in Act One?
3. Which character says, "You must treat me gently when I'm in one of my moods"?
4. Whom does Kemp say can be a help with the situation with the neighborhood?
5. What does Kemp do during his first conversation with Sloane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kemp say his boss does? What is his position?
2. Why does Kath become upset early in Act Two? How does she show this? What is Sloane's response?
3. What is revealed about the characters' motives in Act Two?
4. What is Sloane's reasoning behind the death of Kemp?
5. What is "Sloane's account" of his interaction with Kemp's boss?
6. What excuses does Sloane provide to Ed for his interactions with Kath?
7. Describe the scene in which Kath succeeds in seducing Sloane. What does the room look like? How is Kath dressed?
8. What does Ed tell Sloane he has to do regarding Kemp's death? What is Sloane's response?
9. What does Sloane tell Kath when she asks him about striking Kemp? What is her reply?
10. List an example (or two) of subtext in the play. What are the character's words and what is implied by them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Orton portray "family" in Entertaining Mr. Sloane? What do you think his intention is behind this portrayal?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Ed and Kath. What similarities do they share? What divides them? How do these characters feel about each other?
Essay Topic 3
How does Entertaining Mr. Sloane challenge the status quo of British society? How does it challenge sexuality?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)