|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says, "Drinking I don't mind. Drugs I abhor. You'll get to know all my habits"?
2. What is the setting at the opening of the play?
3. Whom does Kath say that Sloane is almost the same age as?
4. What does Kemp say happens to his former boss?
5. What does Ed make mention of, which incidentally is also what Orton's lover overdoses on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Sloane tell Ed to convince him to allow him another chance in Act Three?
2. What is "Sloane's account" of his interaction with Kemp's boss?
3. What comments does Kemp say that lead to the presumption that he is bigoted? How do the others respond?
4. What are the macabre elements of Entertaining Mr. Sloane?
5. Who is Kemp? What is his relationship to Kath and Ed? How old is he?
6. Describe the character of Sloane. How old is he? What is his appearance like?
7. How does Sloane's attitude change between Act One and Act Two?
8. What excuses does Sloane provide to Ed for his interactions with Kath?
9. What is the theme of Entertaining Mr. Sloane? What does the term "theme" mean?
10. How old is the character of Kath? What is her age in relation to the other characters? How old does she act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What imagery, simile, and metaphors are used in Entertaining Mr. Sloane? Describe how these contribute to the play's theme. Be sure to define the terms in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Sloane as an antihero. How does he manipulate others to achieve his desires? Does he extol any virtues? What happens if Sloane never arrives?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the theme of Entertaining Mr. Sloane. What methods does Orton use to express this theme? Cite examples from the text.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)