|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic does Ed seem rather interested in during his first conversation with Sloane?
2. What does Kath tell Sloane she has on beneath her dress?
3. Which character says, "You must treat me gently when I'm in one of my moods"?
4. How does Kemp attack Sloane in Act One?
5. Who comes tapping at the window in Act One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ed promise Kath in return for their father speaking to him? Why does he want to speak to his father?
2. What act of violence does Sloane inflict upon Kath in Act Three? How does she respond?
3. Describe the "seedy situation" of the neighborhood. How does it come to be?
4. List an example (or two) of subtext in the play. What are the character's words and what is implied by them?
5. What is the "solution" which Ed decides to the predicament at the end of the play?
6. Describe the character of Sloane. How old is he? What is his appearance like?
7. Why does Ed want Sloane to move in with him? What are the "surface reasons" as well as the implications through subtext?
8. What is Sloane's reasoning behind the death of Kemp?
9. What actions occurs at the beginning of Act Three? Who is present?
10. What is the theme of Entertaining Mr. Sloane? What does the term "theme" mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Entertaining Mr. Sloane challenge the status quo of British society? How does it challenge sexuality?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss disillusionment in Entertaining Mr. Sloane. Which characters are deluded in their vision of reality? With the past? With the future? Use examples from the text in answering this question.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Ed and Kemp and between Kemp and Kath. How do these differ? How are they similar?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)