Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street is Sloane's old flat?
2. Where does Kath meet Sloane?
3. Who does Sloane say he's likely gotten Kemp confused with?
4. Where does Sloane say Kemp should be?
5. What compliment does Kath remark on with Sloane in Act One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kemp say his boss does? What is his position?
2. What is Sloane's "threat" used to get what he wants? How do the characters respond to it?
3. Where is the play set? What is the house like? Where is it?
4. How does Sloane remember his parents? Why does he feel as he does?
5. What are the macabre elements of Entertaining Mr. Sloane?
6. How old is the character of Kath? What is her age in relation to the other characters? How old does she act?
7. At which point in Act Three does Sloane lose the upper hand?
8. How does Sloane's attitude change between Act One and Act Two?
9. What clues lead Ed to suspect Sloane of taking the car out?
10. How does Kath reveal that she is pregnant? How does she feel about the situation?
How does Sloane "fit in" with his new home and the surrounding characters? How do you react if you enter the world of this play? Do you empathize with any of the characters? Why? Why not?
Describe the theme of Entertaining Mr. Sloane. What methods does Orton use to express this theme? Cite examples from the text.
How does violence change the nature of the play? Are these characters to be seen as funny, or dangerous, or both? How do previous productions portrayed these characters? Which methods are the most effective? Which does Orton approve of?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)