|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what kind of car does a British prisoner manage to lift the hood?
2. Where does Mr. Maxted tell Jim they are going the night they walk out of Lunghua?
3. How many parties of prisoners walk out of the stadium?
4. What country's planes are circling overhead near the end of Part 3, Chapter 41?
5. What does the Eurasian man tell Jim ended the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using at least three examples, discuss how Ballard uses planes throughout the story. Do different country's planes mean different things? Does their meaning change?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the development and meaning of the image of flies through the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Jim makes observations about the people of different nationalities; at one point, he compares the British people's apparent disdain for children to the Chinese people's enjoyment of them. Using at least three specific examples, discuss the veracity of Jim's comments.
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)