|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is not something Jim carries with him to Nantao in his wooden box?
2. What does Jim find in the canal outside the airfield?
3. What does Mrs. Philips give to Jim while they are resting by the checkpoint?
4. What does the Eurasian man pull from the trash?
5. What does Lieutenant Price deliberately drive into on the road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is "the university of life" and how does it pertain to Jim's story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dr. Ransome and Basie as surrogate father figures for Jim. How are they different? What is the common thread?
Essay Topic 3
At one point early in the novel, Jim realizes that kindness "counts for nothing." Using examples from the text, discuss whether this point is proved or disproved by the rest of the story.
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)