|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jim meet up with at the end of Part 3, Chapter 38?
2. How long have Jim and Mr. Maxted been in the food line at the start of Part 2, Chapter 28?
3. Who does Jim notice is not carrying any luggage as they leave Lunghua?
4. What does Basie show Jim at the end of Part 3, Chapter 39?
5. What does Jim see the American and British sailors do on the steps of the Shanghai Club?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace the evolution of Jim's belief in God over the course of the novel. Use at least three specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, discuss Jim's belief that there will be, and in fact is, a "next war." What is it, and where?
Essay Topic 3
At one point early in the novel, Jim realizes that kindness "counts for nothing." Using examples from the text, discuss whether this point is proved or disproved by the rest of the story.
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)