|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men enter the stadium as Jim climbs down the steps?
2. Over what does Jim have to be refrained from fighting with a Japanese corporal?
3. Who urges Jim to get up when the procession leaves the checkpoint?
4. What is the young pilot in the airfield carrying?
5. Where are the prisoners going?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the young kamikaze pilot? At what point in the story does he first appear? What does he represent to Jim?
Essay Topic 2
What is meant by the phrase, "even a few steps across a small room generated a separate war"? To whom is this phrase first applied and why?
Essay Topic 3
Using at least three examples, describe Jim's survival technique and how it transforms over the course of the story.
This section contains 171 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)