|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Jim read in one of the strange houses?
(a) "The Wizard of Oz."
(b) "Through the Looking Glass."
(c) "The Jungle Book."
(d) "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn."
2. What does Jim retrieve for Mr. Maxted from the Japanese soldiers?
(a) Bits of soap.
(b) Cigarette butts.
(c) Paper scraps.
(d) Bottle caps.
3. What does Jim see when he is very hungry?
(a) His old bedroom.
(b) American aircraft.
(c) Visions of full banquet tables.
(d) His parents.
4. What does Jim's family's car run over on its way to the party?
(a) A jacket.
(b) A child's toy.
(c) A squirrel.
(d) A beggar's foot.
5. Which of these is not something Jim did for entertainment in his first year at Lunghua Camp?
(a) Acted in a play.
(b) Attended lectures.
(c) Moved scenery for "Pirates of Penzance."
(d) Helped to copy parts for "Macbeth."
6. In what place does this story open?
(a) Jim's home.
(b) Jim's school.
(c) Jim's family's car.
(d) A cathedral.
7. Who joins Jim at the detention center?
(a) Mr. Maxted.
(d) His mother.
8. On whom does Jim become dependent for his food?
(a) The Maxteds' neighbors.
(b) Mr. Guerevitch.
(c) A local shopkeeper.
(d) Japanese soldiers.
9. What does Jim find to eat in the dentist's house?
(a) Condensed milk.
(d) Peanut butter.
10. Where is the truck of prisoners headed?
(b) Hong Kong.
11. Which of these is not a picture Jim has hanging on his wall?
(a) A crashed Heinkel bomber.
(b) St. Paul's on fire.
(c) The H.M.S. Petrel.
(d) A Packard motorcar.
12. How does Jim help Mrs. Blackburn?
(a) He fetches her water.
(b) He washes out her mess tin for her.
(c) He babysits her children.
(d) He helps with the fire.
13. What is destroyed on the parade ground before the Chinese coolie is killed?
(a) His chess set.
(b) His bicycle.
(c) His rickshaw.
(d) A pile of books.
14. What is in the middle of the overgrown field?
(b) A piece of a plane.
(c) A burial mound.
(d) A toolshed.
15. What has Dr. Ransome advised Jim to eat?
(b) The weevils in the wheat.
(d) Any flies he can catch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Yang?
2. Where does Basie tell Jim the American planes have flown in from?
3. What sort of public execution does Jim witness on his way from the hospital to his home?
4. In what does the Japanese soldier put water for the prisoners?
5. What possession of Mrs. Partridge's does Basie sell to Mrs. Blackburn?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)