|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Max say took Father Tom away from a Florida bar?
2. Who does Janine pick up along the way to the Grill?
3. What type of flower does Tick paint in its current, not prime, condition?
4. What does Walt tell Bea she should buy for the bar?
5. Principal Meyer thinks that Zack is ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What further details does Max reveal to Miles about Grace's affair with C.B. Whiting that summer long ago?
2. What is the metaphor of John Voss dragging his grandmother's body to the dump?
3. What is Janine's state of mind based on new information she has about Walt?
4. What are the events of Grace's penance for her affair with C.B. Whiting?
5. How does Max turn the tables on Miles who asks about his mother's affair with C.B. Whiting?
6. Describe John Voss' history as revealed to Principal Meyer in John's file.
7. What are the possible implications now that Miles knows that C.B. Whiting was also Charlie Mayne?
8. Describe Sunday afternoons in Bea's bar.
9. What are the anonymous notes and why does Principal Meyer think it was Zack who sent them?
10. How can you tell Bea's feelings for her soon-to-be son-in-law, Walt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Russo liberally uses humor in the story to both entertain and convey character. Cite at least two examples which you find especially humorous.
Essay Topic 2
Toward the end of the story, John Voss commits a hideous crime. What is the crime and what were his motivations? Given John's background, can he be held accountable for what he has done? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Several scenes in the book take place in Martha's Vineyard. Explain the significance of this location to the characters. What does it represent in the story?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)