|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Miles fight at Mrs. Whiting's house?
2. Who does Miles learn has drowned in the river?
3. What is stuck in Janine's car as she tries to drive away from Tick?
4. What is the name of Zack's sick game?
5. What does John Voss bring into school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation for Miles and Tick following the shooting?
2. Explain why Principal Meyer feels that Zack Minty is following in the Minty family footsteps of brutal behavior.
3. How is Mrs. Whiting's character further revealed in Part 3, Chapter 22?
4. How does Max turn the tables on Miles who asks about his mother's affair with C.B. Whiting?
5. What were the two areas of focus in Grace's life as she got older?
6. How does Mrs. Whiting feel about Cindy?
7. Describe the scenario of John Voss coming into the classroom with a revolver.
8. Describe Sunday afternoons in Bea's bar.
9. What is the scenario of Miles in the hospital at the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 31?
10. What is the premise of Father Mark's sermon, When God Retreats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Russo liberally uses humor in the story to both entertain and convey character. Cite at least two examples which you find especially humorous.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Mrs. Whiting in the town? What is her role toward the Roby family? Why is she especially benevolent to them given the fact that Grace Roby had had an affair with her husband many years ago?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)