Prologue | Part 1, Chapter 1
• The setting of the story is Empire Falls, a small town in Maine on the Knox River.
• The Whiting family is the town's wealthiest and most powerful family.
• The Whiting family has always owned the town's industries including logging, paper, textiles and clothing.
• C.B. Whiting had spent ten years in Mexico before returning home to run the family businesses.
• C.B. builds an ostentatious Spanish-style house on the river where he encounters a moose carcass one day and determines to change the course of the water's flow.
• C.B. marries Francine Robideaux and the marriage is not a happy one.
• In the present day, Empire Falls is in an economic downturn.
• C.B. is gone and Francine runs all the Whiting family concerns.
• The most notable establishment in town is the Empire Grill which is managed by Miles Roby upon whom Mrs. Whiting has...
This section contains 2,521 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)