|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Emerson's 1837 speech at Harvard on the American Scholar received?
(a) With relief.
(b) With gifts.
(c) With hostility.
(d) With celebration.
2. What imagery filled Emerson's prose and poems in 1836?
(a) Health and insanity.
(b) Illness and death.
(c) Forging and birth.
(d) Travel and arrival.
3. What practice did Emerson begin in college?
(a) Sending money to his mother.
(b) Keeping a journal.
(c) Writing poetry.
(d) Holding dinner parties for intellectuals.
4. Where does Richardson say Emerson's interest in religion came from?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) Mary Moody Emerson.
(d) His brothers.
5. How did Emerson describe his experience of Ellen's death?
(a) It was a death for him as well.
(b) It was a second birth.
(c) It forced him to question his beliefs.
(d) It was a turning point.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Emerson describe Ellen Tucker?
2. What was Emerson's first son's name?
3. Where did Emerson move, in advance of writing Nature?
4. Who was Emerson reading at the time he fell in love with Lydia Jackson?
5. What was Emerson's first printed work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Emerson's relationship with Bronson Alcott?
2. What was Emerson's relationship with Carlyle?
3. How does Richardson characterize Lidian, Emerson's second wife?
4. How did Emerson describe Ellen's death?
5. How does Richardson describe the birth of American Transcendentalism?
6. How does Richardson describe Emerson as a student?
7. What kinds of images does Richardson say dominated Emerson's thinking and writing in 1836?
8. Why did Emerson travel to the South?
9. What view of Jakob Boehme's did Emerson pick up?
10. How did the birth of Emerson's first son change Emerson's intellectual interests?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)