|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Emerson do when he returned from the South?
(a) Prepared to travel further abroad.
(b) Taught at Harvard.
(c) Preached itinerantly.
(d) Looked for a wife.
2. What publication did Emerson call a "living leaping Logos"?
(a) Hedge's manifesto.
(b) Alcott's "Conversations with Children about the Gospels."
(d) Fuller's translation of Eckermann's "Conversations with Goethe."
3. When did Emerson meet Lydia Jackson?
4. What career paths was Emerson torn between?
(a) Law and teaching.
(b) Preaching and writing.
(c) Preaching and law.
(d) Farming and writing.
5. What was the Transcendental Club founded to discuss?
(a) The state of intellect in the U.S.
(b) The nature of God.
(c) The possibility of transcendence.
(d) The future of America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What influence does Richardson say has helped Emerson's writing?
2. What imagery filled Emerson's prose and poems in 1836?
3. What was Emerson's family's economic status when Emerson was in college?
4. What was Emerson reading of Bronson Alcott's, after settling down with Lidian?
5. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's exterior personality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Emerson travel to the South?
2. What was Emerson's view of American literature?
3. Describe Emerson's relationship with Thoreau.
4. What view of Jakob Boehme's did Emerson pick up?
5. What was Emerson's relation with Hume?
6. How did the birth of Emerson's first son change Emerson's intellectual interests?
7. How was the period surrounding Emerson's marriage a time of mixed blessings?
8. What was Emerson's relationship with Carlyle?
9. What was the 'immovable anchor' in Emerson's thinking, according to Richardson?
10. What turning point did Emerson reach in his junior year of college?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)