|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what religious sect was Edward Taylor active?
(c) Shouting Methodist.
2. Who came to live with Emerson after his brother Charles died?
(a) Elizabeth Hoar.
(b) Caroline Sturgis.
(c) Ellery Channing.
(d) Margaret Fuller.
3. Who did NOT join Emerson where he was writing in 1834?
(a) Mary Moody Emerson.
(b) His brother William.
(c) His brother Charles.
(d) His mother.
4. What was the title of the lecture series Emerson delivered in 1837?
(b) "Refuse Great Models".
(c) "Human Culture".
(d) "The Uses of Great Men".
5. Who influenced Emerson during this turning point?
(a) Edward Channing.
(b) Edward Everett.
(c) Samson Reed.
(d) Mary Moody Emerson.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's household in 1835-1836?
2. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's exterior personality?
3. How did Emerson change after opening Ellen's casket?
4. Where did Emerson and Lidian settle down after marrying?
5. How did Emerson describe his experience of Ellen's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Emerson break with the church?
2. What Quaker belief of Mary Rotch's did Emerson find compelling?
3. What was Emerson's relation with Hume?
4. How did Emerson describe Ellen's death?
5. Describe Emerson's relationship with Thoreau.
6. How was Emerson's "American Scholar" talk received?
7. How does Richardson describe the birth of American Transcendentalism?
8. What is Emerson doing when Richardson introduces us to him?
9. How does Richardson describe Emerson as a child?
10. What view of Jakob Boehme's did Emerson pick up?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)