|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Endings.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richardson say Emerson found in Whitman?
(a) The fulfillment of his philosophy.
(b) His successor.
(c) A poet to measure himself against.
(d) The great modern poet America needed.
2. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's feelings on returning to America?
(a) Impatient to begin new work.
(b) Despairing about finding a career.
(c) Depressed about coming home.
(d) Anxious about finding his family well.
3. What does Richardson say is Emerson's last characteristic book?
(a) Essays 1844.
(b) The 1844 Essays.
(c) Representative Men.
(d) His book on England.
4. How did Emerson's views on individuality and idealism respond to the immense cultural changes of the 1840s, according to Richardson?
(a) They stayed the same.
(b) They became more realistic.
(c) They became more optimistic.
(d) They were tempered by doubts.
5. Where was Emerson going on Christmas Day, 1832?
(b) South Carolina.
(c) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Emerson travel, after California?
2. What took Emerson to New York?
3. Where did Emerson travel after returning from Europe?
4. How does Richardson characterize "The Dial?"
5. What was Emerson reading of Bronson Alcott's, after settling down with Lidian?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)