|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Natural History of Intellect.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's feelings on returning to America?
(a) Depressed about coming home.
(b) Anxious about finding his family well.
(c) Impatient to begin new work.
(d) Despairing about finding a career.
2. Why did Emerson take over editorship of "The Dial?"
(a) Margaret Fuller resigned.
(b) It was Emerson's turn.
(c) The other editors asked Emerson to take over.
(d) The other editors asked Margaret Fuller to step down.
3. What was the Transcendental Club?
(a) A lecture series.
(b) A school.
(c) A symposium.
(d) A salon.
4. What idea did Emerson return to many times after giving his speech on American Scholar?
(a) The omnipotence of God.
(b) The uniqueness of America.
(c) The unity of things.
(d) The importance of marriage.
5. What topic did Emerson lecture on after returning home from Europe?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Richardson describe Emerson as a young boy?
2. How does Richardson characterize the year 1834 in Emerson's life?
3. What does Richardson say was the turning point in Emerson's life?
4. How does Richardson characterize Emerson's career as a lecturer?
5. What objection did Emerson make to Charles Fourier's utopian ideas?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)