|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Ellen at school after she is a ward of the state?
2. What type of employment does Starletta's parents do?
3. What well-to-do relative of Ellen's attends the funeral?
4. How does Ellen explain the item on her arm?
5. Who is Dora?
Short Essay Questions
1. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
2. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
3. Why does Ellen have conflicting views about Starletta's family?
4. How is Ellen's obsessive side shown in Chapter 6?
5. At the funeral, why does Ellen avoid looking at her mother's grave?
6. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
7. In what ways does the author indicate that Ellen's father killed Ellen's mother?
8. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
9. How does the fact that Ellen is concerned with snakes in her new life hint at how she feels about the members of her family?
10. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using details from class discussions and from the text, describe how the author created a dualism in Ellen's life.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the symbolic elements the author uses in the story? Use class discussion and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
List and discuss several ways that Ellen's character evolved throughout the novel.
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)