|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ellen returns to school after the funeral, what does one teacher bluntly ask her?
2. Who does Ellen stop speaking to?
3. How much money does Ellen offer Starletta's family to let her stay with them?
4. The day after the funeral, where does Ellen prepare to go?
5. What method does Ellen consider using to kill someone?
Short Essay Questions
1. The author never indicates the time period of when the events in Ellen's life are taking place. How can one tell from the context about clues that Ellen's story happens in fairly modern times?
2. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
3. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
4. In Chapter 6, how does Ellen's prejudiced nature show up?
5. Why does Ellen have to make sure that she retrieves the envelope of money from the mailbox before her father can get to it?
6. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
7. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
8. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
9. In what ways does the author indicate that Ellen's father killed Ellen's mother?
10. What event leads to Ellen's removal from her father's care?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using details from class discussions and from the text, describe how the author created a dualism in Ellen's life.
Essay Topic 2
The author's use of foreshadowing and flashbacks was prevalent throughout the novel. List 3-5 examples of the author's use of these literary elements and how they were effectively used by the author.
Essay Topic 3
Using the details from the text and class discussions, discuss the ways that Ellen trusted and distrusted the people in her weak support system.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)