|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character in the story?
2. What has Ellen's mother's absence forced Ellen to obtain for herself?
3. Which character gives Ellen the outfit to wear to the funeral?
4. From what room does Ellen observe her family from?
5. What does Ellen do when her mother goes to bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the funeral, why does Ellen avoid looking at her mother's grave?
2. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
3. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
4. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
5. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
6. Why does Ellen feel that she is better off being a ward of the county rather than being in the custody of her father?
7. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
8. How does the fact that Ellen is concerned with snakes in her new life hint at how she feels about the members of her family?
9. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
10. How is Ellen's grandmother's removal of Ellen's mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An underlining theme throughout the novel was death. Several people in Ellen's life died, and metaphorically Ellen herself died and had a rebirth. Using details from the text describe how the topic of death was a central theme throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In two instances of the story Ellen describes her Christmas celebrations. Compare and contrast the two occasions using details from the text as an aid.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does addiction manifest itself in Ellen's story? How does Ellen cope with the addiction around her?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)