|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A drive through what part of town is necessary to reach the location where the funeral service is being held?
2. Which character gives Ellen the outfit to wear to the funeral?
3. What type of employment does Starletta's parents do?
4. How long is Ellen's father gone the day after the funeral?
5. What make-up item does Ellen contemplate wearing to her mother's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
2. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
3. Ellen found several questionable items in her cousin's bedroom. Why doesn't Ellen tell her aunt about these items?
4. Why does Ellen offer her new mama money?
5. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
6. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
7. How do Nadine and Betsy react to their mother's death?
8. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
9. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
10. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
Essay Topic 1
In class discussion, you learned about the literary elements of a climax. Using these discussions and the text, describe the climax in the story.
Essay Topic 2
During the two years that the story takes place, Ellen lived with various people. Compare and contrast the experiences Ellen had with each of these people. How are they similar/different? What effect do they have on Ellen? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using details from class discussions and from the text, describe how the author created a dualism in Ellen's life.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)