|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill do to Ellen on New Year's Eve?
2. What happens to Ellen's mother's clothes?
3. Who does Ellen blame for her mother's death?
4. How does Ellen explain the item on her arm?
5. Ellen's family attends a funeral for what character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ellen have to make sure that she retrieves the envelope of money from the mailbox before her father can get to it?
2. In Chapter 1, Ellen contemplates killing someone. How does Ellen plan to kill this person and respond to the death if she actually goes through with it?
3. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
4. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
5. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
6. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
7. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
8. Why does Ellen have conflicting views about Starletta's family?
9. How does the fact that Ellen is concerned with snakes in her new life hint at how she feels about the members of her family?
10. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List and discuss several ways that Ellen's character evolved throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In class discussion, you learned about the literary elements of a climax. Using these discussions and the text, describe the climax in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story Ellen is neglected by her father. Write a description of how her father neglected her and the effects of the neglect on Ellen's life.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)