|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ellen tell the teacher she wants to live with when the teacher asks Ellen to call someone to pick her up?
2. What is left in Ellen's mailbox each month?
3. What is the weather like at the funeral service?
4. Why does Ellen's mother's heart stop beating?
5. Where does Ellen tell her father to sleep when he passes out in the bathroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
2. Why does Ellen have conflicting views about Starletta's family?
3. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
4. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
5. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
6. In what way does Ellen use reading?
7. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
8. At the funeral, why does Ellen avoid looking at her mother's grave?
9. In Chapter 2, how does Ellen hint at favoritism towards her mother's family?
10. In what ways does the author indicate that Ellen's father killed Ellen's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author's use of foreshadowing and flashbacks was prevalent throughout the novel. List 3-5 examples of the author's use of these literary elements and how they were effectively used by the author.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the symbolic elements the author uses in the story? Use class discussion and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using class discussion and the text as an aid describe some of Ellen's extended family relationships. Is there a closeness between the family? Why or why not?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)