|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the outfit Ellen is wearing to the funeral?
2. What item spills out of Ellen's mother's purse?
3. How does Ellen refer to her large head?
4. What does Ellen's friend's family sometimes eat?
5. Why does Ellen wear her coat to bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the fact that Ellen is concerned with snakes in her new life hint at how she feels about the members of her family?
2. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
3. In Chapter 2, how does Ellen hint at favoritism towards her mother's family?
4. What are some of the fun and leisure activities Ellen is granted in her new home?
5. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
6. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
7. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
8. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
9. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
10. How is Ellen's obsessive side shown in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the details from the text and class discussions, discuss the ways that Ellen trusted and distrusted the people in her weak support system.
Essay Topic 2
During the two years that the story takes place, Ellen lived with various people. Compare and contrast the experiences Ellen had with each of these people. How are they similar/different? What effect do they have on Ellen? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In two instances of the story Ellen describes her Christmas celebrations. Compare and contrast the two occasions using details from the text as an aid.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)