|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of employment does Starletta's parents do?
2. Who does Ellen tell the teacher she wants to live with when the teacher asks Ellen to call someone to pick her up?
3. Who does Ellen blame for her mother's death?
4. The day after the funeral, where does Ellen prepare to go?
5. Who is Ellen's friend that attends the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
2. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
3. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
4. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
5. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
6. Why does Ellen feel that she is better off being a ward of the county rather than being in the custody of her father?
7. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
8. In what way does Ellen use reading?
9. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
10. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the two years that the story takes place, Ellen lived with various people. Compare and contrast the experiences Ellen had with each of these people. How are they similar/different? What effect do they have on Ellen? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the elements of Ellen's personality. How does Ellen exhibit a dualism in her personality?
Essay Topic 3
Ellen describes her 11th birthday in detail in the text. Why is this birthday significant to Ellen and her journey to her new life? How does Ellen previously celebrate her birthdays?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)