|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ellen's mother's clothes?
2. How long is Ellen's father gone the day after the funeral?
3. Who does Ellen blame for her mother's death?
4. What present does Ellen receive from Starletta's family?
5. Which character gives Ellen the outfit to wear to the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
2. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
3. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
4. In what ways does the author indicate that Ellen's father killed Ellen's mother?
5. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
6. Why does Ellen feel that she is better off being a ward of the county rather than being in the custody of her father?
7. In Chapter 6, how does Ellen's prejudiced nature show up?
8. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
9. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
10. In Chapter 1, Ellen contemplates killing someone. How does Ellen plan to kill this person and respond to the death if she actually goes through with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the details from the text and class discussions, discuss the ways that Ellen trusted and distrusted the people in her weak support system.
Essay Topic 2
In class discussion, you learned about the literary elements of a climax. Using these discussions and the text, describe the climax in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Using class discussion and the text as an aid describe some of Ellen's extended family relationships. Is there a closeness between the family? Why or why not?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)