|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ellen feel about her aunt?
2. What animal does Ellen hope her pony would scare away?
3. In Ellen's new life with her new mama, what runs smoothly?
4. What does Bill do to Ellen on New Year's Eve?
5. What present does Ellen receive from Starletta's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, how does Ellen hint at favoritism towards her mother's family?
2. Why does Ellen feel that she is better off being a ward of the county rather than being in the custody of her father?
3. In what ways does Ellen justify not telling anyone about the circumstances of her mother's death?
4. How is Ellen's grandmother's removal of Ellen's mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
5. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
6. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
7. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
8. At the funeral, why does Ellen avoid looking at her mother's grave?
9. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
10. The author never indicates the time period of when the events in Ellen's life are taking place. How can one tell from the context about clues that Ellen's story happens in fairly modern times?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the details from the text and class discussions, discuss the ways that Ellen trusted and distrusted the people in her weak support system.
Essay Topic 2
In class discussion, you learned about the literary elements of a climax. Using these discussions and the text, describe the climax in the story.
Essay Topic 3
During the two years that the story takes place, Ellen lived with various people. Compare and contrast the experiences Ellen had with each of these people. How are they similar/different? What effect do they have on Ellen? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answer.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)