|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ellen refer to her large head?
2. A drive through what part of town is necessary to reach the location where the funeral service is being held?
3. How does Ellen's father die?
4. What object does Ellen spy in one yard that she would like to have?
5. What is the weather like at the funeral service?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the fact that Ellen is concerned with snakes in her new life hint at how she feels about the members of her family?
2. What are some of the fun and leisure activities Ellen is granted in her new home?
3. In Chapter 6, how does Ellen's prejudiced nature show up?
4. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
5. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
6. At the funeral, why does Ellen avoid looking at her mother's grave?
7. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
8. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
9. How is Ellen's grandmother's removal of Ellen's mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
10. What event leads to Ellen's removal from her father's care?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story Ellen is neglected by her father. Write a description of how her father neglected her and the effects of the neglect on Ellen's life.
Essay Topic 2
Using class discussion and the text as an aid describe some of Ellen's extended family relationships. Is there a closeness between the family? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
During Ellen's mother's funeral, it was raining. How is the rain a symbol of the hardships/storms coming up in Ellen's life?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)