|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen's father stroke while he is yelling at Ellen and her mother?
2. What is Ellen's father's name?
3. Who takes Ellen into town for a new coat?
4. Who is Dora?
5. How does Ellen describe her family before the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
2. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
3. In what way does Ellen use reading?
4. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
5. What are some of the fun and leisure activities Ellen is granted in her new home?
6. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
7. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
8. In what ways does the author indicate that Ellen's father killed Ellen's mother?
9. Why does Ellen feel that she is better off being a ward of the county rather than being in the custody of her father?
10. How is Ellen's obsessive side shown in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the text and class discussions as an aid describe some of Ellen's fears and how she overcame them.
Essay Topic 2
The author's use of foreshadowing and flashbacks was prevalent throughout the novel. List 3-5 examples of the author's use of these literary elements and how they were effectively used by the author.
Essay Topic 3
Using the discussions from class and details from the text list some of the ways Ellen had to fend for herself.
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)