|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ellen feel that her mother is better off in the hospital than at home?
2. What method does Ellen consider using to kill someone?
3. Why does Ellen wear her coat to bed?
4. What animal does Ellen hope her pony would scare away?
5. What season does the funeral take place in?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Ellen use reading?
2. What are some of the fun and leisure activities Ellen is granted in her new home?
3. Why does Ellen feel that she is better off being a ward of the county rather than being in the custody of her father?
4. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
5. At the funeral, why does Ellen avoid looking at her mother's grave?
6. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
7. How does the fact that Ellen is concerned with snakes in her new life hint at how she feels about the members of her family?
8. How is Ellen's grandmother's removal of Ellen's mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
9. In Chapter 6, how does Ellen's prejudiced nature show up?
10. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellen describes her 11th birthday in detail in the text. Why is this birthday significant to Ellen and her journey to her new life? How does Ellen previously celebrate her birthdays?
Essay Topic 2
During the two years that the story takes place, Ellen lived with various people. Compare and contrast the experiences Ellen had with each of these people. How are they similar/different? What effect do they have on Ellen? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author's use of foreshadowing and flashbacks was prevalent throughout the novel. List 3-5 examples of the author's use of these literary elements and how they were effectively used by the author.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)