|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ellen's mother's heart stop beating?
2. What food item does Ellen take with her on her pony ride?
3. How does Ellen's father die?
4. What type of sickness does Ellen say weakens her mother's heart?
5. Who does Ellen tell the teacher she wants to live with when the teacher asks Ellen to call someone to pick her up?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, Ellen contemplates killing someone. How does Ellen plan to kill this person and respond to the death if she actually goes through with it?
2. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
3. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
4. How is Ellen's grandmother's removal of Ellen's mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
5. What are some of the fun and leisure activities Ellen is granted in her new home?
6. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
7. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
8. In what way does Ellen use reading?
9. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
10. What event leads to Ellen's removal from her father's care?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellen describes her 11th birthday in detail in the text. Why is this birthday significant to Ellen and her journey to her new life? How does Ellen previously celebrate her birthdays?
Essay Topic 2
Using class discussion and the text as an aid describe some of Ellen's extended family relationships. Is there a closeness between the family? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the symbolic elements the author uses in the story? Use class discussion and the text to support your answer.
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)