|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ellen's mother's clothes?
2. Who is Dora?
3. Who does Ellen stop speaking to?
4. What type of sickness does Ellen say weakens her mother's heart?
5. What item spills out of Ellen's mother's purse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ellen's grandmother's removal of Ellen's mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
2. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
3. Why does Ellen have to make sure that she retrieves the envelope of money from the mailbox before her father can get to it?
4. In Chapter 2, how does Ellen hint at favoritism towards her mother's family?
5. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
6. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
7. In what ways does the author indicate that Ellen's father killed Ellen's mother?
8. What are some of the fun and leisure activities Ellen is granted in her new home?
9. In what ways does Ellen justify not telling anyone about the circumstances of her mother's death?
10. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does addiction manifest itself in Ellen's story? How does Ellen cope with the addiction around her?
Essay Topic 2
During the two years that the story takes place, Ellen lived with various people. Compare and contrast the experiences Ellen had with each of these people. How are they similar/different? What effect do they have on Ellen? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using the text and class discussions as an aid describe some of Ellen's fears and how she overcame them.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)