|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen think her father is?
2. What does Ellen's friend's family sometimes eat?
3. What food item does Ellen take with her on her pony ride?
4. How long does Ellen's new roommate let her stay when Ellen runs away from her father's home?
5. What happens to Ellen's mother's clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, how does Ellen hint at favoritism towards her mother's family?
2. Why do Ellen and Starletta keep a list?
3. Why is church mandatory for Ellen when she moves in with her new mama?
4. In Chapter 11, Ellen tells the reader that her grandmother passed away. Ellen feels that in her death her grandmother left "the score two to one". What score is Ellen referring to and why does Ellen make this statement?
5. Why does Ellen feel that Starletta only likes Tom for his money?
6. What is the post-church ritual for Ellen and her new family?
7. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
8. In Chapter 9, Ellen's father shows up at her school; using details from the text describe the scene that followed.
9. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
10. How is Ellen's obsessive side shown in Chapter 6?
Essay Topic 1
In two instances of the story Ellen describes her Christmas celebrations. Compare and contrast the two occasions using details from the text as an aid.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the elements of Ellen's personality. How does Ellen exhibit a dualism in her personality?
Essay Topic 3
The author's use of foreshadowing and flashbacks was prevalent throughout the novel. List 3-5 examples of the author's use of these literary elements and how they were effectively used by the author.
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)