|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ellen stop speaking to?
2. What present does Ellen give to Starletta's family?
3. What errand does Ellen enjoy partaking in with her new mama?
4. Who does Ellen plan on living with after her stay at Starletta's?
5. In Ellen's new life with her new mama, what runs smoothly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using details from the text, describe Ellen's shopping system.
2. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
3. Why does Ellen have conflicting views about Starletta's family?
4. How is Ellen's obsessive side shown in Chapter 6?
5. What types of new experiences is Ellen exposed to at her stay with Julia and Roy?
6. What are some of the fun and leisure activities Ellen is granted in her new home?
7. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
8. How does Ellen's new mama receive the name 'new mama'?
9. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
10. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does addiction manifest itself in Ellen's story? How does Ellen cope with the addiction around her?
Essay Topic 2
Using the details from the text and class discussions, discuss the ways that Ellen trusted and distrusted the people in her weak support system.
Essay Topic 3
The author's use of foreshadowing and flashbacks was prevalent throughout the novel. List 3-5 examples of the author's use of these literary elements and how they were effectively used by the author.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)