|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What present does Ellen give to Starletta's family?
2. From what room does Ellen observe her family from?
3. What object does Ellen spy in one yard that she would like to have?
4. Why does Ellen wear her coat to bed?
5. What type of employment does Starletta's parents do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ellen's grandmother's removal of Ellen's mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
2. Why does Ellen have conflicting views about Starletta's family?
3. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
4. In Chapter 1, Ellen contemplates killing someone. How does Ellen plan to kill this person and respond to the death if she actually goes through with it?
5. What are some of the fun and leisure activities Ellen is granted in her new home?
6. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
7. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
8. In what ways does Ellen justify not telling anyone about the circumstances of her mother's death?
9. At the funeral, why does Ellen avoid looking at her mother's grave?
10. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the two years that the story takes place, Ellen lived with various people. Compare and contrast the experiences Ellen had with each of these people. How are they similar/different? What effect do they have on Ellen? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story Ellen is neglected by her father. Write a description of how her father neglected her and the effects of the neglect on Ellen's life.
Essay Topic 3
During Ellen's mother's funeral, it was raining. How is the rain a symbol of the hardships/storms coming up in Ellen's life?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)