Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A drive through what part of town is necessary to reach the location where the funeral service is being held?
2. Which character gives Ellen the outfit to wear to the funeral?
3. What type of employment does Starletta's parents do?
4. How long is Ellen's father gone the day after the funeral?
5. What make-up item does Ellen contemplate wearing to her mother's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
2. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
3. Ellen found several questionable items in her cousin's bedroom. Why doesn't Ellen tell her aunt about these items?
4. Why does Ellen offer her new mama money?
5. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
6. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
7. How do Nadine and Betsy react to their mother's death?
8. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
9. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
10. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the elements of Ellen's personality. How does Ellen exhibit a dualism in her personality?
Essay Topic 2
Using the context clues located in the story, how can the reader determine the setting even though the author and narrator never explicitly provides the reader with the information?
Essay Topic 3
During the two years that the story takes place, Ellen lived with various people. Compare and contrast the experiences Ellen had with each of these people. How are they similar/different? What effect do they have on Ellen? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answer.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)