|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method does Ellen consider using to kill someone?
2. Whom must Ellen share the pony with?
3. What does Bill do to Ellen on New Year's Eve?
4. Who takes Ellen into town for a new coat?
5. What does Ellen's father stroke while he is yelling at Ellen and her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ellen have conflicting views about Starletta's family?
2. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
3. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
4. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
5. Why does Ellen have to make sure that she retrieves the envelope of money from the mailbox before her father can get to it?
6. In Chapter 1, Ellen contemplates killing someone. How does Ellen plan to kill this person and respond to the death if she actually goes through with it?
7. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
8. In what ways does the author indicate that Ellen's father killed Ellen's mother?
9. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
10. What event leads to Ellen's removal from her father's care?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does addiction manifest itself in Ellen's story? How does Ellen cope with the addiction around her?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story Ellen is neglected by her father. Write a description of how her father neglected her and the effects of the neglect on Ellen's life.
Essay Topic 3
In several instances in the text, Ellen tries to control the small things around her. Why does Ellen need to control these things?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)