|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season does the funeral take place in?
2. What is the weather like at the funeral service?
3. How does Ellen honor her mother?
4. What type of employment does Starletta's parents do?
5. How long does Ellen's new roommate let her stay when Ellen runs away from her father's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
2. How does the fact that Ellen is concerned with snakes in her new life hint at how she feels about the members of her family?
3. What event leads to Ellen's removal from her father's care?
4. In Chapter 6, how does Ellen's prejudiced nature show up?
5. In what ways does the author indicate that Ellen's father killed Ellen's mother?
6. The author never indicates the time period of when the events in Ellen's life are taking place. How can one tell from the context about clues that Ellen's story happens in fairly modern times?
7. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
8. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
9. In what way does Ellen use reading?
10. How is Ellen's obsessive side shown in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the symbolic elements the author uses in the story? Use class discussion and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using the details from the text and class discussions, discuss the ways that Ellen trusted and distrusted the people in her weak support system.
Essay Topic 3
Using details from the text and in-class research, describe how Ellen was mature, or immature, for her age.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)