|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Ellen's new roommate let her stay when Ellen runs away from her father's home?
2. When Ellen returns to school after the funeral, what does one teacher bluntly ask her?
3. Where does Ellen hide on New Year's Day while she waits for her father and his friends to leave her house?
4. What organization does Ellen join to curb her boredom in the winter?
5. Who does Ellen tell the teacher she wants to live with when the teacher asks Ellen to call someone to pick her up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
2. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
3. Why does Ellen have conflicting views about Starletta's family?
4. What event leads to Ellen's removal from her father's care?
5. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
6. How is Ellen's obsessive side shown in Chapter 6?
7. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
8. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
9. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
10. In what ways does the author indicate that Ellen's father killed Ellen's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does addiction manifest itself in Ellen's story? How does Ellen cope with the addiction around her?
Essay Topic 2
In two instances of the story Ellen describes her Christmas celebrations. Compare and contrast the two occasions using details from the text as an aid.
Essay Topic 3
In class discussion, you learned about the literary elements of a climax. Using these discussions and the text, describe the climax in the story.
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)