|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to stay the night at Starletta's house, what lie does Ellen tell Starletta's parents?
2. What errand does Ellen enjoy partaking in with her new mama?
3. A drive through what part of town is necessary to reach the location where the funeral service is being held?
4. At the grave site, who does Ellen avoid looking at?
5. How long is Ellen's father gone the day after the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
2. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
3. How is Ellen's grandmother's removal of Ellen's mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
4. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
5. In Chapter 1, Ellen contemplates killing someone. How does Ellen plan to kill this person and respond to the death if she actually goes through with it?
6. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
7. Why does Ellen feel that she is better off being a ward of the county rather than being in the custody of her father?
8. What event leads to Ellen's removal from her father's care?
9. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
10. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does addiction manifest itself in Ellen's story? How does Ellen cope with the addiction around her?
Essay Topic 2
In several instances in the text, Ellen tries to control the small things around her. Why does Ellen need to control these things?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the symbolic elements the author uses in the story? Use class discussion and the text to support your answer.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)