|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like at the funeral service?
2. A drive through what part of town is necessary to reach the location where the funeral service is being held?
3. What activity has become an escape for Ellen?
4. What organization does Ellen join to curb her boredom in the winter?
5. What has Ellen's mother's absence forced Ellen to obtain for herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ellen have conflicting views about Starletta's family?
2. How is Ellen's grandmother's removal of Ellen's mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
3. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
4. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
5. Why does Ellen have to make sure that she retrieves the envelope of money from the mailbox before her father can get to it?
6. In Chapter 1, Ellen contemplates killing someone. How does Ellen plan to kill this person and respond to the death if she actually goes through with it?
7. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
8. What event leads to Ellen's removal from her father's care?
9. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
10. What are some of the fun and leisure activities Ellen is granted in her new home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the text and class discussions as an aid describe some of Ellen's fears and how she overcame them.
Essay Topic 2
During the two years that the story takes place, Ellen lived with various people. Compare and contrast the experiences Ellen had with each of these people. How are they similar/different? What effect do they have on Ellen? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Ellen describes her 11th birthday in detail in the text. Why is this birthday significant to Ellen and her journey to her new life? How does Ellen previously celebrate her birthdays?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)