|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen's father stroke while he is yelling at Ellen and her mother?
2. The day after the funeral, where does Ellen prepare to go?
3. How does Ellen's father die?
4. What does Ellen's friend's family sometimes eat?
5. What occupation does Aunt Nadine have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
2. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
3. Why does Ellen feel that she is better off being a ward of the county rather than being in the custody of her father?
4. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
5. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
6. What event leads to Ellen's removal from her father's care?
7. Why does Ellen have to make sure that she retrieves the envelope of money from the mailbox before her father can get to it?
8. What are some of the fun and leisure activities Ellen is granted in her new home?
9. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
10. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story Ellen is neglected by her father. Write a description of how her father neglected her and the effects of the neglect on Ellen's life.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the symbolic elements the author uses in the story? Use class discussion and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Ellen describes her 11th birthday in detail in the text. Why is this birthday significant to Ellen and her journey to her new life? How does Ellen previously celebrate her birthdays?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)