|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food item does Ellen take with her on her pony ride?
2. How long does Ellen's new roommate let her stay when Ellen runs away from her father's home?
3. What item does Ellen's new mama never seem to run out of?
4. How does Ellen feel about her aunt?
5. What organization does Ellen join to curb her boredom in the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
2. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
3. In what ways does the author indicate that Ellen's father killed Ellen's mother?
4. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
5. How is Ellen's grandmother's removal of Ellen's mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
6. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
7. In Chapter 6, how does Ellen's prejudiced nature show up?
8. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
9. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
10. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List and discuss several ways that Ellen's character evolved throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story Ellen is neglected by her father. Write a description of how her father neglected her and the effects of the neglect on Ellen's life.
Essay Topic 3
Using the text and class discussions as an aid describe some of Ellen's fears and how she overcame them.
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)