Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A drive through what part of town is necessary to reach the location where the funeral service is being held?
2. Which character gives Ellen the outfit to wear to the funeral?
3. What type of employment does Starletta's parents do?
4. How long is Ellen's father gone the day after the funeral?
5. What make-up item does Ellen contemplate wearing to her mother's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
2. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
3. Ellen found several questionable items in her cousin's bedroom. Why doesn't Ellen tell her aunt about these items?
4. Why does Ellen offer her new mama money?
5. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
6. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
7. How do Nadine and Betsy react to their mother's death?
8. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
9. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
10. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
Essay Topic 1
Using details from the text and in-class research, describe how Ellen was mature, or immature, for her age.
Essay Topic 2
In several instances in the text, Ellen tries to control the small things around her. Why does Ellen need to control these things?
Essay Topic 3
In two instances of the story Ellen describes her Christmas celebrations. Compare and contrast the two occasions using details from the text as an aid.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)