|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of sickness does Ellen say weakens her mother's heart?
2. In Ellen's new life with her new mama, what runs smoothly?
3. Who does Ellen plan on living with after her stay at Starletta's?
4. How long does Ellen's new roommate let her stay when Ellen runs away from her father's home?
5. Who is the main character in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
2. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
3. The author never indicates the time period of when the events in Ellen's life are taking place. How can one tell from the context about clues that Ellen's story happens in fairly modern times?
4. How is Ellen's obsessive side shown in Chapter 6?
5. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
6. In Chapter 2, how does Ellen hint at favoritism towards her mother's family?
7. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
8. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
9. How is Ellen's grandmother's removal of Ellen's mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
10. In Chapter 6, how does Ellen's prejudiced nature show up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several instances in the text, Ellen tries to control the small things around her. Why does Ellen need to control these things?
Essay Topic 2
Using the context clues located in the story, how can the reader determine the setting even though the author and narrator never explicitly provides the reader with the information?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the elements of Ellen's personality. How does Ellen exhibit a dualism in her personality?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)