|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Ellen with her work in the fields?
(a) Her grandmother.
(c) No one.
(d) Her father.
2. When do Dora and Nadine attend church?
(d) On holidays.
3. After her grandmother's death, who must Ellen live with?
(a) Aunt Betsy.
(b) Aunt Nadine.
(c) Her father.
4. Why does Ellen's grandmother threaten to break Ellen's hands?
(a) Ellen touched her things.
(b) Ellen stole something.
(c) Ellen's grandmother never threatened her.
(d) Ellen was cracking her knuckles.
5. What is the only question Ellen's grandmother asks Ellen on the drive to her house?
(a) When school started.
(b) If Ellen was okay.
(c) What time was it.
(d) What Ellen wanted for dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is keeping tabs on Ellen and her father for Ellen's grandmother?
2. In what room does Ellen stay at her first temporary home?
3. What happens to Ellen from working so hard in the fields?
4. What gift do Julia and Roy give Ellen for her birthday?
5. Ellen has to go shopping for new clothes. What new item does she treasure the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
2. Why does Ellen dread the day that Starletta 'forgot about her"?
3. Why does Ellen begin signing her papers with the last name Foster?
4. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
5. Ellen found several questionable items in her cousin's bedroom. Why doesn't Ellen tell her aunt about these items?
6. Why is church mandatory for Ellen when she moves in with her new mama?
7. What happens to Julia and Roy after Ellen moves out?
8. Using details from the text, describe how Ellen spends her time at Nadine's house.
9. How does Ellen celebrate her 11th birthday?
10. In Chapter 9, Ellen's father shows up at her school; using details from the text describe the scene that followed.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)