|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Stella, Frances, and Jo Jo?
(a) Ellen's cousins.
(b) Ellen's aunts.
(c) Ellen's foster sisters.
(d) Ellen's friends.
2. What do Ellen and Starletta keep a list of?
(a) They kept a list of girls they hated.
(b) They kept a list of what they needed to tell each other.
(c) They kept a list of the times Ellen stayed over.
(d) They kept a list of boys they liked.
3. Who agrees to let Ellen live with them temporarily?
(a) Starletta's parents.
(b) The art teacher.
(c) Aunt Betsy.
(d) Ellen's grandmother.
4. When do Dora and Nadine attend church?
(d) On holidays.
5. Whose behavior is worse since the death of Ellen's mother?
(a) Ellen's grandmother's.
(c) Ellen's father's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item(s) does Ellen receive for Christmas?
2. After her grandmother's death, whose room does Ellen have to stay in at her new residence?
3. What hobby does Ellen remember helping her mother with?
4. What request does Ellen consider asking her new mama?
5. What health care options does Ellen's grandmother shun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ellen's grandmother forces Ellen to go to work. Describe Ellen's job duties.
2. How does Ellen celebrate her 11th birthday?
3. Why does Ellen begin signing her papers with the last name Foster?
4. In what ways does Ellen's grandmother display paranoia?
5. Why does Ellen choose to give Nadine and Dora pictures of kittens for Christmas instead of a picture of a brooding ocean?
6. Using detail from the text to support your answer, why does Ellen decide to treat Nadine's residence like a hotel?
7. Using details from the text, describe Ellen's shopping system.
8. Using details from the text, describe how Ellen spends her time at Nadine's house.
9. What are some of the family secrets that Ellen uncovers/discovers while Ellen is living with her grandmother?
10. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)