|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose behavior is worse since the death of Ellen's mother?
(a) Ellen's grandmother's.
(c) Ellen's father's.
2. What is Starletta fascinated with at Ellen's new home?
(a) The garden.
(b) The carpet.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The backyard.
3. Who helps Ellen with her work in the fields?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) No one.
(d) Her father.
4. What is the only thing that Dora doesn't have?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A doll house.
(c) A boyfriend.
(d) A best friend.
5. What one materialistic possession is the only thing Ellen really cares about?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ellen and Starletta keep a list of?
2. Who does Ellen call to report her grandmother's death?
3. Who are Stella, Frances, and Jo Jo?
4. Which character dies at the end of Chapter 11?
5. Who is keeping tabs on Ellen and her father for Ellen's grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, Ellen's father shows up at her school; using details from the text describe the scene that followed.
2. What are some of the family secrets that Ellen uncovers/discovers while Ellen is living with her grandmother?
3. In Chapter 10 the reader is introduced to Ellen's naivety. Even though Ellen is wise beyond her years, what does Ellen think about the sharecroppers who work on her grandmother's farm?
4. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
5. In what ways does Ellen's grandmother display paranoia?
6. How do Nadine and Betsy react to their mother's death?
7. Why do Ellen and Starletta keep a list?
8. What happens to Julia and Roy after Ellen moves out?
9. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
10. Why does Ellen feel that Starletta only likes Tom for his money?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)