|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is mandatory every Sunday in Ellen's new home?
2. After her grandmother's death, whose room does Ellen have to stay in at her new residence?
(a) Nadine's old husband's.
(b) The living room.
3. In Ellen's new life in Chapter 12, who wakes her up every day for school?
(c) Her new mama.
4. Who is Roger's mother?
(d) Ellen's new mama.
5. What gift do Julia and Roy give Ellen for her birthday?
(b) A pillow.
(c) Art supplies.
(d) A home to live in.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ellen's father dies, what item does Ellen's grandmother burn?
2. What irks Nadine and Betsy about their mother's death?
3. Who is Julia's husband?
4. Where does someone show up looking for Ellen?
5. What is Julia as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of new experiences is Ellen exposed to at her stay with Julia and Roy?
2. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
3. Using detail from the text to support your answer, why does Ellen decide to treat Nadine's residence like a hotel?
4. Ellen found several questionable items in her cousin's bedroom. Why doesn't Ellen tell her aunt about these items?
5. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
6. Using details from the text, describe how Ellen spends her time at Nadine's house.
7. During Ellen's Christmas stay at Nadine's, what does Ellen hope for?
8. Why do Ellen and Starletta keep a list?
9. In Chapter 8, how is the reader once again introduced to the time frame of the novel?
10. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)