|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes looking for Ellen with money in hand asking her to come back to live with them?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her teacher.
2. Who is Julia's husband?
3. What does Ellen almost forget?
(a) Her eleventh birthday.
(b) Her book for school.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her best friend.
4. Why do Betsy and Nadine start fighting over their mother's death?
(a) They fought over money.
(b) They felt that Ellen killed her.
(c) They feel they ignored her.
(d) They fought over clothes.
5. What room does Ellen stay in at her grandmother's house?
(a) Her mother's old room.
(b) Her grandmother's room.
(c) The basement.
(d) None, she slept on the floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is fired from her job as a teacher?
2. What happens to Ellen from working so hard in the fields?
3. What irks Nadine and Betsy about their mother's death?
4. What does Ellen do a lot of while at her new temporary residence after her grandmother's death?
5. Ellen has to go shopping for new clothes. What new item does she treasure the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ellen found several questionable items in her cousin's bedroom. Why doesn't Ellen tell her aunt about these items?
2. In Chapter 8, how is the reader once again introduced to the time frame of the novel?
3. In Chapter 11, Ellen tells the reader that her grandmother passed away. Ellen feels that in her death her grandmother left "the score two to one". What score is Ellen referring to and why does Ellen make this statement?
4. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
5. In Chapter 10 the reader is introduced to Ellen's naivety. Even though Ellen is wise beyond her years, what does Ellen think about the sharecroppers who work on her grandmother's farm?
6. Using details from the text, describe Ellen's shopping system.
7. During Ellen's Christmas stay at Nadine's, what does Ellen hope for?
8. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
9. Why do Ellen and Starletta keep a list?
10. In Chapter 9, Ellen's father shows up at her school; using details from the text describe the scene that followed.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)