|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item(s) does Ellen receive for Christmas?
(a) White paper.
(d) Too many to list.
2. Who leaves envelopes of money in Ellen's mailbox?
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Starletta's family.
3. What nickname does Ellen give her grandmother?
(a) Old Lady.
4. What is Ellen's grandmother's response when Ellen asks her grandmother why she hates her?
(a) Every time she looks at Ellen, she sees her husband.
(b) Every time she looks at Ellen, she sees Ellen's mother.
(c) She said she didn't hate Ellen.
(d) Every time she looks at Ellen, she sees Ellen's father.
5. Why doesn't Jo Jo have to participate in the after-church activity?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She doesn't want to participate.
(c) She is sick.
(d) She has dance lessons.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her grandmother's death, whose room does Ellen have to stay in at her new residence?
2. When Ellen does not go to her grandmother's funeral, what does Dora tell her?
3. What does Ellen discover in Dora's underwear drawer?
4. What does Ellen tell her hostess she is doing while at her residence after her grandmother's death?
5. What truth does Ellen's grandmother constantly remind Ellen of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
2. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
3. Why is church mandatory for Ellen when she moves in with her new mama?
4. Using details from the text, describe Ellen and her grandmother's relationship.
5. What happens to Julia and Roy after Ellen moves out?
6. In Chapter 10 the reader is introduced to Ellen's naivety. Even though Ellen is wise beyond her years, what does Ellen think about the sharecroppers who work on her grandmother's farm?
7. Ellen's grandmother forces Ellen to go to work. Describe Ellen's job duties.
8. Using details from the text, describe Ellen's shopping system.
9. In Chapter 9, Ellen's father shows up at her school; using details from the text describe the scene that followed.
10. Why does Ellen choose to give Nadine and Dora pictures of kittens for Christmas instead of a picture of a brooding ocean?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)