|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dora still believe in?
(b) The Easter Bunny.
(c) The Tooth Fairy.
2. What will Ellen miss the most about her grandmother's house?
(a) Spying on the neighbors.
(c) The money.
(d) Her freedom.
3. What is Dora and Nadine's response to Ellen's Christmas gift?
(b) Fake joy.
4. Who are Stella, Frances, and Jo Jo?
(a) Ellen's aunts.
(b) Ellen's cousins.
(c) Ellen's foster sisters.
(d) Ellen's friends.
5. What is mandatory every Sunday in Ellen's new home?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Roger's mother?
2. What does Ellen tell her Aunt Nadine she would like for Christmas?
3. Who comes looking for Ellen with money in hand asking her to come back to live with them?
4. Why doesn't Jo Jo have to participate in the after-church activity?
5. What does Ellen vow to do if her grandmother starts to die?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Ellen tells the reader that her grandmother passed away. Ellen feels that in her death her grandmother left "the score two to one". What score is Ellen referring to and why does Ellen make this statement?
2. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
3. How does Ellen celebrate her 11th birthday?
4. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
5. During Ellen's Christmas stay at Nadine's, what does Ellen hope for?
6. In Chapter 10 the reader is introduced to Ellen's naivety. Even though Ellen is wise beyond her years, what does Ellen think about the sharecroppers who work on her grandmother's farm?
7. What happens to Julia and Roy after Ellen moves out?
8. Why does Ellen choose to give Nadine and Dora pictures of kittens for Christmas instead of a picture of a brooding ocean?
9. Why does Ellen dread the day that Starletta 'forgot about her"?
10. Why do Ellen and Starletta keep a list?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)