|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After her grandmothers death, how does Ellen decide to treat her new residence?
(a) Like a pig sty.
(b) Like a hotel.
(c) Like home.
(d) Like a vacation.
2. Why doesn't Jo Jo have to participate in the after-church activity?
(a) She is sick.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She has dance lessons.
(d) She doesn't want to participate.
3. What is Ellen's grandmother's response when Ellen asks her grandmother why she hates her?
(a) Every time she looks at Ellen, she sees Ellen's father.
(b) Every time she looks at Ellen, she sees her husband.
(c) Every time she looks at Ellen, she sees Ellen's mother.
(d) She said she didn't hate Ellen.
4. When Ellen's father dies, what item does Ellen's grandmother burn?
(a) His clothes.
(b) A picture.
(d) A flag.
5. When do Dora and Nadine attend church?
(d) On holidays.
Short Answer Questions
1. What one thing does Ellen not do for her mother?
2. What does Ellen do a lot of while at her new temporary residence after her grandmother's death?
3. How does Ellen respond to her grandmother's reply as to why her grandmother hates her?
4. Why do Betsy and Nadine start fighting over their mother's death?
5. What is mandatory every Sunday in Ellen's new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is church mandatory for Ellen when she moves in with her new mama?
2. Why does Ellen dread the day that Starletta 'forgot about her"?
3. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
4. In Chapter 8, how is the reader once again introduced to the time frame of the novel?
5. What is the post-church ritual for Ellen and her new family?
6. What happens to Julia and Roy after Ellen moves out?
7. Why does Ellen feel that Starletta only likes Tom for his money?
8. In Chapter 11, Ellen tells the reader that her grandmother passed away. Ellen feels that in her death her grandmother left "the score two to one". What score is Ellen referring to and why does Ellen make this statement?
9. In what ways does Ellen's grandmother display paranoia?
10. Why does Ellen begin signing her papers with the last name Foster?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)