|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ellen do a lot of while at her new temporary residence after her grandmother's death?
2. What item(s) does Ellen receive for Christmas?
(a) White paper.
(c) Too many to list.
3. Where are Julia and Roy originally from?
(a) The West.
(b) The Midwest.
(c) The South.
(d) The Northeast.
4. What does Dora still believe in?
(c) The Tooth Fairy.
(d) The Easter Bunny.
5. How does Ellen respond to her grandmother's reply as to why her grandmother hates her?
(a) She replied that it was her mother's fault.
(b) She replied that she hated her, too.
(c) She did not reply.
(d) She replied that she didn't do anything.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only question Ellen's grandmother asks Ellen on the drive to her house?
2. Why doesn't Jo Jo have to participate in the after-church activity?
3. Who has a crush on Tom?
4. Who leaves envelopes of money in Ellen's mailbox?
5. Why does Ellen's grandmother threaten to break Ellen's hands?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Ellen tells the reader that her grandmother passed away. Ellen feels that in her death her grandmother left "the score two to one". What score is Ellen referring to and why does Ellen make this statement?
2. In what ways does Ellen's grandmother display paranoia?
3. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
4. Why does Ellen feel that Starletta only likes Tom for his money?
5. Why does Ellen choose to give Nadine and Dora pictures of kittens for Christmas instead of a picture of a brooding ocean?
6. Using detail from the text to support your answer, why does Ellen decide to treat Nadine's residence like a hotel?
7. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
8. Ellen's grandmother forces Ellen to go to work. Describe Ellen's job duties.
9. Using details from the text, describe Ellen's shopping system.
10. What are some of the family secrets that Ellen uncovers/discovers while Ellen is living with her grandmother?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)