|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leaves envelopes of money in Ellen's mailbox?
(b) Her grandmother.
(d) Starletta's family.
2. What does Ellen vow to do if her grandmother starts to die?
(a) Run away.
(b) Wake her up.
(c) Throw water on her.
(d) Let her die.
3. Whose classroom does Ellen pass on her way to music class?
4. Who does Ellen spy on during her free time?
(a) Her father.
(d) Her grandmother.
5. Who is Ellen's imaginary boyfriend?
(a) Nate Austin.
(b) Kevin Moore.
(c) Jason Jones.
(d) Nick Adams.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose behavior is worse since the death of Ellen's mother?
2. What is Ellen's favorite thing to do while at her new residence after her grandmother's death?
3. On what day of the week does Ellen see the school counselor?
4. What does Ellen change her last name to?
5. How does Ellen respond to her grandmother's reply as to why her grandmother hates her?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Ellen tells the reader that her grandmother passed away. Ellen feels that in her death her grandmother left "the score two to one". What score is Ellen referring to and why does Ellen make this statement?
2. Using detail from the text to support your answer, why does Ellen decide to treat Nadine's residence like a hotel?
3. Ellen's grandmother forces Ellen to go to work. Describe Ellen's job duties.
4. What happens to Julia and Roy after Ellen moves out?
5. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
6. How does Ellen celebrate her 11th birthday?
7. Why is church mandatory for Ellen when she moves in with her new mama?
8. Using details from the text, describe Ellen's shopping system.
9. What is the post-church ritual for Ellen and her new family?
10. In Chapter 8, how is the reader once again introduced to the time frame of the novel?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)