|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Julia and Roy originally from?
(a) The West.
(b) The Northeast.
(c) The Midwest.
(d) The South.
2. After her grandmothers death, how does Ellen decide to treat her new residence?
(a) Like home.
(b) Like a vacation.
(c) Like a pig sty.
(d) Like a hotel.
3. What incentive does someone offer Ellen when they show up looking for her?
(d) A Family.
4. Who is fired from her job as a teacher?
5. Who comes over right away when Ellen tells them her grandmother died?
(d) Her new mama.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity always happens after church?
2. How many guests does Ellen invite to her birthday party?
3. What does Ellen discover in Dora's underwear drawer?
4. Who has a crush on Tom?
5. What one thing does Ellen not do for her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
2. In Chapter 11, Ellen tells the reader that her grandmother passed away. Ellen feels that in her death her grandmother left "the score two to one". What score is Ellen referring to and why does Ellen make this statement?
3. Ellen found several questionable items in her cousin's bedroom. Why doesn't Ellen tell her aunt about these items?
4. Using detail from the text to support your answer, why does Ellen decide to treat Nadine's residence like a hotel?
5. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
6. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
7. What are some of the family secrets that Ellen uncovers/discovers while Ellen is living with her grandmother?
8. Why does Ellen feel that Starletta only likes Tom for his money?
9. Using details from the text, describe Ellen and her grandmother's relationship.
10. What types of new experiences is Ellen exposed to at her stay with Julia and Roy?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)