|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What irks Nadine and Betsy about their mother's death?
(a) That Ellen will have to live with them.
(b) That it's close to Christmas.
(c) That Ellen killed their mother.
(d) Nothing, they're devasted.
2. What does Ellen's grandmother vow to Ellen?
(a) That she would kill Ellen.
(b) That Ellen would have to kill her.
(c) That Ellen would never stop paying for her mother's death.
(d) That she would always take care of Ellen.
3. Who helps Ellen with her work in the fields?
(b) Her father.
(c) No one.
(d) Her grandmother.
4. Who is Ellen's imaginary boyfriend?
(a) Nate Austin.
(b) Nick Adams.
(c) Jason Jones.
(d) Kevin Moore.
5. Who agrees to let Ellen live with them temporarily?
(a) Ellen's grandmother.
(b) The art teacher.
(c) Aunt Betsy.
(d) Starletta's parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ellen spy on upon her first visit to church?
2. What is the only question Ellen's grandmother asks Ellen on the drive to her house?
3. What does Ellen discover in Dora's underwear drawer?
4. Who is keeping tabs on Ellen and her father for Ellen's grandmother?
5. Where does Ellen's grandmother make Ellen work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the family secrets that Ellen uncovers/discovers while Ellen is living with her grandmother?
2. Ellen found several questionable items in her cousin's bedroom. Why doesn't Ellen tell her aunt about these items?
3. Why does Ellen choose to give Nadine and Dora pictures of kittens for Christmas instead of a picture of a brooding ocean?
4. In what ways does Ellen's grandmother display paranoia?
5. In Chapter 9, Ellen's father shows up at her school; using details from the text describe the scene that followed.
6. Why does Ellen feel that Starletta only likes Tom for his money?
7. Ellen's grandmother forces Ellen to go to work. Describe Ellen's job duties.
8. Why does Ellen begin signing her papers with the last name Foster?
9. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
10. In Chapter 11, Ellen tells the reader that her grandmother passed away. Ellen feels that in her death her grandmother left "the score two to one". What score is Ellen referring to and why does Ellen make this statement?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)