|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ellen has to go shopping for new clothes. What new item does she treasure the most?
(a) None, she liked the money.
(b) A pair of designer jeans.
(c) A pink and purple shirt.
(d) A beautiful new dress.
2. What will Ellen miss the most about her grandmother's house?
(a) The money.
(b) Her freedom.
(d) Spying on the neighbors.
3. Who does Ellen call to report her grandmother's death?
(a) Aunt Betsy.
(b) Aunt Nadine.
(c) Her father.
(d) The funeral home.
4. Who is Julia?
(a) Ellen's aunt.
(b) The art teacher.
(c) Ellen's grandmother.
(d) Starletta's mom.
5. Who does Ellen spy on during her free time?
(c) Her father.
(d) Her grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incentive does someone offer Ellen when they show up looking for her?
2. What does Ellen tell her Aunt Nadine she would like for Christmas?
3. What does Julia encourage Ellen to do?
4. What does Ellen discover in Dora's underwear drawer?
5. What grade is Stella in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using details from the text, describe Ellen and her grandmother's relationship.
2. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
3. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
4. Why does Ellen feel that Starletta only likes Tom for his money?
5. Why do Ellen and Starletta keep a list?
6. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
7. In Chapter 11, Ellen tells the reader that her grandmother passed away. Ellen feels that in her death her grandmother left "the score two to one". What score is Ellen referring to and why does Ellen make this statement?
8. During Ellen's Christmas stay at Nadine's, what does Ellen hope for?
9. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
10. What are some of the family secrets that Ellen uncovers/discovers while Ellen is living with her grandmother?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)