|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ellen do a lot of while at her new temporary residence after her grandmother's death?
2. What does Ellen tell her hostess she is doing while at her residence after her grandmother's death?
3. What activity always happens after church?
4. What one thing does Ellen not do for her mother?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Love her.
(c) Save her.
(d) Hate her.
5. In what room does Ellen stay at her first temporary home?
(a) The living room.
(b) The garage.
(c) The attic.
(d) The guest room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only question Ellen's grandmother asks Ellen on the drive to her house?
2. Who is Roger's mother?
3. What is Starletta fascinated with at Ellen's new home?
4. What does Ellen discover in Dora's underwear drawer?
5. What does Ellen almost forget?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using details from the text, describe Ellen's shopping system.
2. In Chapter 10 the reader is introduced to Ellen's naivety. Even though Ellen is wise beyond her years, what does Ellen think about the sharecroppers who work on her grandmother's farm?
3. Why does Ellen dread the day that Starletta 'forgot about her"?
4. Using detail from the text to support your answer, why does Ellen decide to treat Nadine's residence like a hotel?
5. What are some of the family secrets that Ellen uncovers/discovers while Ellen is living with her grandmother?
6. Why does Ellen choose to give Nadine and Dora pictures of kittens for Christmas instead of a picture of a brooding ocean?
7. Why does Ellen feel that Starletta only likes Tom for his money?
8. How does Ellen celebrate her 11th birthday?
9. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
10. In what ways does Ellen's grandmother display paranoia?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)