|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stella do in the back of the bus?
(c) Fool around with boys.
(d) Stella didn't ride the bus.
2. Who is fired from her job as a teacher?
3. What does Ellen end up giving Nadine and Dora for Christmas?
(a) Nice matching sweaters.
(c) A homemade picture of kittens.
4. What gift do Julia and Roy give Ellen for her birthday?
(b) A pillow.
(c) A home to live in.
(d) Art supplies.
5. Who helps Ellen with her work in the fields?
(a) No one.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen tell her Aunt Nadine she would like for Christmas?
2. What one thing does Ellen not do for her mother?
3. What item(s) does Ellen receive for Christmas?
4. What is Ellen's grandmother's response when Ellen asks her grandmother why she hates her?
5. In Chapter 11, what truths does Ellen begin to figure out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using details from the text, describe Ellen's shopping system.
2. Why do Ellen and Starletta keep a list?
3. In Chapter 11, Ellen tells the reader that her grandmother passed away. Ellen feels that in her death her grandmother left "the score two to one". What score is Ellen referring to and why does Ellen make this statement?
4. Why does Ellen dread the day that Starletta 'forgot about her"?
5. Why is church mandatory for Ellen when she moves in with her new mama?
6. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
7. Why is Ellen worried about her grandmother dying?
8. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
9. What types of new experiences is Ellen exposed to at her stay with Julia and Roy?
10. What is the post-church ritual for Ellen and her new family?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)