|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only thing that Dora doesn't have?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A boyfriend.
(c) A doll house.
(d) A best friend.
2. What activity always happens after church?
3. What does Ellen vow to do if her grandmother starts to die?
(a) Throw water on her.
(b) Let her die.
(c) Wake her up.
(d) Run away.
4. Who does Ellen spy on upon her first visit to church?
(a) Her boyfriend.
(b) Aunt Betsy.
(c) The 'Foster' family.
5. What does Ellen tell her hostess she is doing while at her residence after her grandmother's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Ellen consider asking her new mama?
2. Ellen has to go shopping for new clothes. What new item does she treasure the most?
3. What happens to Ellen from working so hard in the fields?
4. In what room does Ellen stay at her first temporary home?
5. What day does Ellen dread?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
2. In what ways does Ellen's grandmother display paranoia?
3. How does Ellen celebrate her 11th birthday?
4. Why does Ellen choose to give Nadine and Dora pictures of kittens for Christmas instead of a picture of a brooding ocean?
5. Why do Ellen and Starletta keep a list?
6. Why does Ellen feel that Starletta only likes Tom for his money?
7. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
8. In Chapter 9, Ellen's father shows up at her school; using details from the text describe the scene that followed.
9. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
10. Why is church mandatory for Ellen when she moves in with her new mama?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)