|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the pony's name that Ellen wants to ride?
2. What type of employment does Starletta's parents do?
(a) They were unemployed.
(b) They were lawyers.
(c) They were shop owners.
(d) They were cotton pickers.
3. What name does the well-to-do relative call Ellen's father?
(a) A drunk.
(b) A snob.
(c) A bastard.
(d) A failure.
4. Who is Ellen's friend that attends the funeral?
5. Who are Rudolph and Ellis?
(a) Ellen's friends.
(b) Ellen's brothers.
(c) Ellen's attorneys.
(d) Ellen's uncles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ellen describe her family before the funeral?
2. How does Ellen explain the item on her arm?
3. At the grave site, who does Ellen avoid looking at?
4. What entertainment activity does Ellen's father entertain his guests with on New Year's Eve?
5. Who visits Ellen at school after she is a ward of the state?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Ellen use reading?
2. Why does Ellen feel that she is better off being a ward of the county rather than being in the custody of her father?
3. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
4. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
5. In what ways does the author indicate that Ellen's father killed Ellen's mother?
6. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
7. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
8. Why does Ellen have conflicting views about Starletta's family?
9. At the funeral, why does Ellen avoid looking at her mother's grave?
10. What event leads to Ellen's removal from her father's care?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)