|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ellen think her father is?
(a) A hard worker.
(b) A mean monster.
(c) A nice guy.
(d) A friend.
2. Where does Ellen celebrate her first Christmas after her mother's death?
(a) At her grandmother's house.
(b) Nowhere; Ellen stopped celebrating christmas.
(c) With her father.
(d) At Starletta's house.
3. What on Ellen's arm draws attention from her teachers?
(a) A bruise.
(b) A scratch.
(c) A tattoo.
(d) A cast.
4. What type of employment does Starletta's parents do?
(a) They were shop owners.
(b) They were unemployed.
(c) They were cotton pickers.
(d) They were lawyers.
5. What does Ellen do when her mother goes to bed?
(a) Went to bed with her.
(b) Called the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity has become an escape for Ellen?
2. What is Ellen's father's name?
3. What entertainment activity does Ellen's father entertain his guests with on New Year's Eve?
4. Why does Ellen's mother's heart stop beating?
5. What color is the outfit Ellen is wearing to the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
2. Why does Ellen have to make sure that she retrieves the envelope of money from the mailbox before her father can get to it?
3. What event leads to Ellen's removal from her father's care?
4. Why does Ellen have conflicting views about Starletta's family?
5. At the funeral, why does Ellen avoid looking at her mother's grave?
6. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
7. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
8. The author never indicates the time period of when the events in Ellen's life are taking place. How can one tell from the context about clues that Ellen's story happens in fairly modern times?
9. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
10. How is Ellen's grandmother's removal of Ellen's mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)