|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ellen returns to school after the funeral, what does one teacher bluntly ask her?
(a) Where her father was.
(b) Where had she been.
(c) Why was she wearing so many clothes.
(d) How her mother died.
2. Who is Ellen's friend that attends the funeral?
3. Who does Ellen stop speaking to?
(c) Her father.
(d) Her aunt.
4. Why does Ellen wear her coat to bed?
(a) She was too tired to take her coat off.
(b) She didn't want to touch the covers.
(c) She only had on her coat.
(d) She was cold.
5. How much money does Ellen offer Starletta's family to let her stay with them?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Ellen into town for a new coat?
2. What color is the outfit Ellen is wearing to the funeral?
3. What organization does Ellen join to curb her boredom in the winter?
4. What does Ellen's father sign over to his relatives?
5. What item does Ellen's new mama never seem to run out of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
2. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
3. How does the fact that Ellen is concerned with snakes in her new life hint at how she feels about the members of her family?
4. The author never indicates the time period of when the events in Ellen's life are taking place. How can one tell from the context about clues that Ellen's story happens in fairly modern times?
5. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
6. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
7. In what ways does Ellen justify not telling anyone about the circumstances of her mother's death?
8. In what way does Ellen use reading?
9. Why does Ellen have conflicting views about Starletta's family?
10. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)