|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather like at the funeral service?
(a) It was sunny.
(b) It was foggy.
(c) It was rainy.
(d) It was cold.
2. What type of sickness does Ellen say weakens her mother's heart?
3. What has Ellen's mother's absence forced Ellen to obtain for herself?
4. How long is Ellen's father gone the day after the funeral?
(a) Her father does not leave after the funeral.
(b) About 24 hours.
(c) About 2 hours.
(d) About 48 hours.
5. What is Nadine's response to the drive through this part of town?
(a) She did not have a response.
(b) She locks her doors.
(c) She asks to stop for some coffee.
(d) She rolls up the window.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ellen's family attends a funeral for what character?
2. What is the pony's name that Ellen wants to ride?
3. How does Ellen honor her mother?
4. Who are Rudolph and Ellis?
5. What present does Ellen receive from Starletta's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
2. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
3. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
4. The author never indicates the time period of when the events in Ellen's life are taking place. How can one tell from the context about clues that Ellen's story happens in fairly modern times?
5. What are some of the fun and leisure activities Ellen is granted in her new home?
6. In Chapter 2, how does Ellen hint at favoritism towards her mother's family?
7. In Chapter 6, how does Ellen's prejudiced nature show up?
8. In Chapter 1, Ellen contemplates killing someone. How does Ellen plan to kill this person and respond to the death if she actually goes through with it?
9. Why does Ellen feel that she is better off being a ward of the county rather than being in the custody of her father?
10. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)