|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to stay the night at Starletta's house, what lie does Ellen tell Starletta's parents?
(a) That she was scared.
(b) That her father was drunk.
(c) That she locked herself out.
(d) That her house burned down.
2. What item spills out of Ellen's mother's purse?
(c) Her heart pills.
3. How long does Ellen's new roommate let her stay when Ellen runs away from her father's home?
(a) A week.
(c) The weekend.
(d) A month.
4. Why does Ellen feel that her mother is better off in the hospital than at home?
(a) At the hospital her family loves her.
(b) At the hospital she can hide.
(c) At the hospital she is cared for.
(d) At the hospital her husband visits her.
5. What is Ellen's father's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ellen refer to her large head?
2. What does Ellen contemplate before leaving the bathroom to give everyone something to talk about?
3. Who does Ellen plan on living with after her stay at Starletta's?
4. What well-to-do relative of Ellen's attends the funeral?
5. Where does Ellen hide on New Year's Day while she waits for her father and his friends to leave her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
2. In what ways does Ellen justify not telling anyone about the circumstances of her mother's death?
3. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
4. Why does Ellen have to make sure that she retrieves the envelope of money from the mailbox before her father can get to it?
5. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
6. How is Ellen's obsessive side shown in Chapter 6?
7. In Chapter 2, how does Ellen hint at favoritism towards her mother's family?
8. Why does Ellen feel that she is better off being a ward of the county rather than being in the custody of her father?
9. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
10. How is Ellen's grandmother's removal of Ellen's mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)