|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character gives Ellen the outfit to wear to the funeral?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Aunt Nadine.
(d) Her father.
2. How does Ellen respond to the blunt question asked by a teacher?
(a) She ran and hid in a closet.
(b) She slapped her.
(c) She told her the truth.
(d) She walked away.
3. Who does Ellen blame for her mother's death?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her father.
(d) Her grandmother.
4. What does Ellen's father stroke while he is yelling at Ellen and her mother?
(a) His beard.
(b) A pocketknife.
(c) A cat.
(d) His arm.
5. Who is the only member of Starletta's family who can read?
(a) No one.
(b) Starletta's mom.
(c) Starletta's dad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What errand does Ellen enjoy partaking in with her new mama?
2. How long does Ellen's new roommate let her stay when Ellen runs away from her father's home?
3. What name does the well-to-do relative call Ellen's father?
4. What does Ellen contemplate before leaving the bathroom to give everyone something to talk about?
5. How does Ellen honor her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
2. How is Ellen's obsessive side shown in Chapter 6?
3. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
4. In what way does Ellen use reading?
5. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
6. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
7. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
8. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
9. The author never indicates the time period of when the events in Ellen's life are taking place. How can one tell from the context about clues that Ellen's story happens in fairly modern times?
10. In what ways does Ellen justify not telling anyone about the circumstances of her mother's death?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)