|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ellen's family attends a funeral for what character?
(a) Ellen's father.
(b) Ellen's mother.
(c) Ellen's grandmother.
(d) Ellen's aunt.
2. What does Ellen think her father is?
(a) A mean monster.
(b) A friend.
(c) A nice guy.
(d) A hard worker.
3. One day Ellen is given an inkblot test. What does Ellen call the inkblots?
4. What item does Ellen's new mama never seem to run out of?
5. What happens to Ellen when she eats the same thing as her friend's family?
(b) Her father slapped her.
(c) She got sick.
(d) She wanted more.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ellen hide on New Year's Day while she waits for her father and his friends to leave her house?
2. A drive through what part of town is necessary to reach the location where the funeral service is being held?
3. What on Ellen's arm draws attention from her teachers?
4. What activity has become an escape for Ellen?
5. What does Ellen do when her mother goes to bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
2. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
3. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
4. In Chapter 1, Ellen contemplates killing someone. How does Ellen plan to kill this person and respond to the death if she actually goes through with it?
5. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
6. How is Ellen's grandmother's removal of Ellen's mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
7. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
8. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
9. The author never indicates the time period of when the events in Ellen's life are taking place. How can one tell from the context about clues that Ellen's story happens in fairly modern times?
10. Why does Ellen have conflicting views about Starletta's family?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)