|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One day Ellen is given an inkblot test. What does Ellen call the inkblots?
2. What does Ellen do when her mother goes to bed?
(a) Went to bed with her.
(b) Called the police.
3. When Ellen returns to school after the funeral, what does one teacher bluntly ask her?
(a) Where had she been.
(b) How her mother died.
(c) Where her father was.
(d) Why was she wearing so many clothes.
4. From what room does Ellen observe her family from?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The bathroom.
(c) The bedroom.
(d) The dining room.
5. Who does Ellen stop speaking to?
(b) Her father.
(d) Her aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ellen wear her coat to bed?
2. What item spills out of Ellen's mother's purse?
3. Where does Ellen hide on New Year's Day while she waits for her father and his friends to leave her house?
4. What is Nadine's response to the drive through this part of town?
5. What errand does Ellen enjoy partaking in with her new mama?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
2. In Chapter 6, how does Ellen's prejudiced nature show up?
3. Why does Ellen have to make sure that she retrieves the envelope of money from the mailbox before her father can get to it?
4. In what ways does Ellen justify not telling anyone about the circumstances of her mother's death?
5. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
6. What event leads to Ellen's removal from her father's care?
7. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
8. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
9. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
10. In what way does Ellen use reading?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)