|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ellen refuse to play with Starletta's toys?
(a) Starletta was dirty.
(b) Starletta was mean.
(c) Starletta did not have any toys.
(d) Starletta was selfish.
2. Who visits Ellen at school after she is a ward of the state?
(a) No one.
(b) A psychiatrist.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
3. Whom must Ellen share the pony with?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her father.
(c) No one.
(d) The other children in the house.
4. What does Ellen's father sign over to his relatives?
(a) The custody of Ellen.
(b) The family farm.
(c) The family car.
5. How much money does Ellen offer Starletta's family to let her stay with them?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character in the story?
2. In Ellen's new life with her new mama, what runs smoothly?
3. Who does Ellen consider killing?
4. What well-to-do relative of Ellen's attends the funeral?
5. What is left in Ellen's mailbox each month?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
2. In Chapter 6, how does Ellen's prejudiced nature show up?
3. In what ways does Ellen justify not telling anyone about the circumstances of her mother's death?
4. The author never indicates the time period of when the events in Ellen's life are taking place. How can one tell from the context about clues that Ellen's story happens in fairly modern times?
5. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
6. Why does Ellen feel that she is better off being a ward of the county rather than being in the custody of her father?
7. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
8. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
9. How does the fact that Ellen is concerned with snakes in her new life hint at how she feels about the members of her family?
10. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)