Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A drive through what part of town is necessary to reach the location where the funeral service is being held?
2. Which character gives Ellen the outfit to wear to the funeral?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(d) Aunt Nadine.
3. What type of employment does Starletta's parents do?
(a) They were lawyers.
(b) They were cotton pickers.
(c) They were shop owners.
(d) They were unemployed.
4. How long is Ellen's father gone the day after the funeral?
(a) About 2 hours.
(b) Her father does not leave after the funeral.
(c) About 48 hours.
(d) About 24 hours.
5. What make-up item does Ellen contemplate wearing to her mother's funeral?
(a) Eye shadow.
(d) Eye liner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method does Ellen consider using to kill someone?
2. Before the end of the service, but after the fight with Ellen's father, what does this well-to-do relative do?
3. What is the pony's name that Ellen wants to ride?
4. Where does Ellen hide on New Year's Day while she waits for her father and his friends to leave her house?
5. What does Ellen do when her mother goes to bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
2. Why didn't Dora want to tell Ellen about Dora and Nadine's usual Christmas ritual?
3. Ellen found several questionable items in her cousin's bedroom. Why doesn't Ellen tell her aunt about these items?
4. Why does Ellen offer her new mama money?
5. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
6. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
7. How do Nadine and Betsy react to their mother's death?
8. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
9. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
10. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)