|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ellen's mother's heart stop beating?
(a) She was scared.
(b) She overdosed on pills.
(c) Her heart never stopped beating.
(d) She was stabbed.
2. What writing tense does the author use to tell Ellen's story?
(a) Present tense.
(b) Future tense.
(c) Past tense.
(d) Past and the present tense.
3. What activity has become an escape for Ellen?
(a) Playing computer games.
4. How does Ellen describe her family before the funeral?
(a) As happy.
(b) As nice.
(c) As phonies.
(d) As sad.
5. Who visits Ellen at school after she is a ward of the state?
(a) Her mother.
(b) No one.
(c) A psychiatrist.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bad habit does Dora have?
2. Where does Ellen tell her father to sleep when he passes out in the bathroom?
3. What does Bill do to Ellen on New Year's Eve?
4. Why doesn't Ellen tell anyone about her problems with her father?
5. What occupation does Aunt Nadine have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
2. What are some of the fun and leisure activities Ellen is granted in her new home?
3. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
4. In Chapter 1, Ellen contemplates killing someone. How does Ellen plan to kill this person and respond to the death if she actually goes through with it?
5. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
6. In Chapter 2, how does Ellen hint at favoritism towards her mother's family?
7. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
8. In what ways does Ellen justify not telling anyone about the circumstances of her mother's death?
9. What event leads to Ellen's removal from her father's care?
10. How is Ellen's obsessive side shown in Chapter 6?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)