|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What on Ellen's arm draws attention from her teachers?
(a) A scratch.
(b) A bruise.
(c) A cast.
(d) A tattoo.
2. What does Ellen contemplate before leaving the bathroom to give everyone something to talk about?
(a) Padding her dress.
(b) Hitting her aunt.
(c) Hugging her cousin.
(d) Outing her father.
3. What does Ellen's father sign over to his relatives?
(a) The family car.
(b) The family farm.
(d) The custody of Ellen.
4. What entertainment activity does Ellen's father entertain his guests with on New Year's Eve?
(a) He beat Ellen.
(b) He fought one of his friends.
(c) He played the guitar for them.
(d) He danced for them.
5. In Ellen's new life with her new mama, what runs smoothly?
(a) Her world.
(b) Her mother's heart.
(c) Her horse.
(d) Her car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen use reading for?
2. The day after the funeral, where does Ellen prepare to go?
3. What errand does Ellen enjoy partaking in with her new mama?
4. Who visits Ellen at school after she is a ward of the state?
5. How long does Ellen's new roommate let her stay when Ellen runs away from her father's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
2. How is Ellen's obsessive side shown in Chapter 6?
3. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
4. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
5. The author never indicates the time period of when the events in Ellen's life are taking place. How can one tell from the context about clues that Ellen's story happens in fairly modern times?
6. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
7. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
8. In what way does Ellen use reading?
9. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
10. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)