|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of employment does Starletta's parents do?
(a) They were cotton pickers.
(b) They were unemployed.
(c) They were shop owners.
(d) They were lawyers.
2. What organization does Ellen join to curb her boredom in the winter?
(a) The Girl Scouts.
(b) The basketball team.
(d) The show choir.
3. What is the pony's name that Ellen wants to ride?
4. At the grave site, who does Ellen avoid looking at?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her mother.
5. What happens to Ellen's mother's clothes?
(a) Ellen donated them to charity.
(b) Ellen's father burned them.
(c) Ellen's grandmother took them away.
(d) Ellen outgrew them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ellen hide on New Year's Day while she waits for her father and his friends to leave her house?
2. How does Ellen describe her family before the funeral?
3. When Ellen returns to school after the funeral, what does one teacher bluntly ask her?
4. In order to stay the night at Starletta's house, what lie does Ellen tell Starletta's parents?
5. Who visits Ellen at school after she is a ward of the state?
Short Essay Questions
1. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
2. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
3. In Chapter 2, how does Ellen hint at favoritism towards her mother's family?
4. How does the fact that Ellen is concerned with snakes in her new life hint at how she feels about the members of her family?
5. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
6. What are some of the fun and leisure activities Ellen is granted in her new home?
7. Why does Ellen feel that she is better off being a ward of the county rather than being in the custody of her father?
8. At the funeral, why does Ellen avoid looking at her mother's grave?
9. In what way does Ellen use reading?
10. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)