|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ellen refuse to play with Starletta's toys?
(a) Starletta was selfish.
(b) Starletta was mean.
(c) Starletta did not have any toys.
(d) Starletta was dirty.
2. Ellen's family attends a funeral for what character?
(a) Ellen's mother.
(b) Ellen's aunt.
(c) Ellen's father.
(d) Ellen's grandmother.
3. What item spills out of Ellen's mother's purse?
(c) Her heart pills.
4. What does Ellen contemplate before leaving the bathroom to give everyone something to talk about?
(a) Hitting her aunt.
(b) Outing her father.
(c) Hugging her cousin.
(d) Padding her dress.
5. Where does Ellen tell her father to sleep when he passes out in the bathroom?
(a) In his automobile.
(b) In the bathroom.
(c) In the bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hygiene task does Ellen let her new mama perform on her?
2. What does Ellen's friend's family sometimes eat?
3. What luxuries does Ellen have in her new life that did not exist in her old life?
4. How many siblings does Ellen have at her new mother's house?
5. Whom must Ellen share the pony with?
Short Essay Questions
1. The author never indicates the time period of when the events in Ellen's life are taking place. How can one tell from the context about clues that Ellen's story happens in fairly modern times?
2. How does the fact that Ellen is concerned with snakes in her new life hint at how she feels about the members of her family?
3. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
4. In what ways does the author indicate that Ellen's father killed Ellen's mother?
5. In Chapter 1, Ellen contemplates killing someone. How does Ellen plan to kill this person and respond to the death if she actually goes through with it?
6. At the funeral, why does Ellen avoid looking at her mother's grave?
7. How is Ellen's grandmother's removal of Ellen's mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
8. In what way does Ellen use reading?
9. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
10. How is Ellen's obsessive side shown in Chapter 6?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)