|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What present does Ellen give to Starletta's family?
(b) A spoon rest.
(c) A rooster.
(d) A fish.
2. What entertainment activity does Ellen's father entertain his guests with on New Year's Eve?
(a) He fought one of his friends.
(b) He played the guitar for them.
(c) He danced for them.
(d) He beat Ellen.
3. When Ellen returns to school after the funeral, what does one teacher bluntly ask her?
(a) Why was she wearing so many clothes.
(b) Where her father was.
(c) How her mother died.
(d) Where had she been.
4. Who does Ellen blame for her mother's death?
(a) Her aunt.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her father.
5. Who is Dora?
(a) Ellen's sister.
(b) Ellen's friend.
(c) Ellen's aunt.
(d) Ellen's cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen do when her mother goes to bed?
2. Who is Ellen's friend that attends the funeral?
3. In Ellen's new life with her new mama, what runs smoothly?
4. Why does Ellen's mother's heart stop beating?
5. Who visits Ellen at school after she is a ward of the state?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
2. What event leads to Ellen's removal from her father's care?
3. The author never indicates the time period of when the events in Ellen's life are taking place. How can one tell from the context about clues that Ellen's story happens in fairly modern times?
4. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
5. At the funeral, why does Ellen avoid looking at her mother's grave?
6. Why does Ellen feel that she is better off being a ward of the county rather than being in the custody of her father?
7. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
8. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
9. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
10. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)