|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character gives Ellen the outfit to wear to the funeral?
(b) Her father.
(c) Aunt Nadine.
(d) Her mother.
2. What luxuries does Ellen have in her new life that did not exist in her old life?
(a) Books, parents and horses.
(b) Food, books and television.
(c) Horses, parents and clothes.
(d) Food, clothes and friends.
3. What bad habit does Dora have?
(a) Picking her nose.
(c) Biting her nails.
(d) Peeing her pants.
4. What animal does Ellen hope her pony would scare away?
(b) Mountain lions.
5. What does Ellen think her father is?
(a) A mean monster.
(b) A hard worker.
(c) A friend.
(d) A nice guy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ellen's family attends a funeral for what character?
2. What does Ellen contemplate before leaving the bathroom to give everyone something to talk about?
3. What object does Ellen spy in one yard that she would like to have?
4. Who is Ellen's friend that attends the funeral?
5. What happens to Ellen's mother's clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
2. In Chapter 1, Ellen contemplates killing someone. How does Ellen plan to kill this person and respond to the death if she actually goes through with it?
3. In what ways does Ellen justify not telling anyone about the circumstances of her mother's death?
4. How is Ellen's grandmother's removal of Ellen's mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
5. The author never indicates the time period of when the events in Ellen's life are taking place. How can one tell from the context about clues that Ellen's story happens in fairly modern times?
6. In Chapter 2, how does Ellen hint at favoritism towards her mother's family?
7. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
8. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
9. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
10. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)