|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the outfit Ellen is wearing to the funeral?
(b) Red plaid.
(c) Blue plaid.
2. What food item does Ellen take with her on her pony ride?
3. What has Ellen's mother's absence forced Ellen to obtain for herself?
4. What occupation does Aunt Nadine have?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A housewife.
(c) A food slicer demonstrator.
(d) A funeral director.
5. One day Ellen is given an inkblot test. What does Ellen call the inkblots?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ellen respond to the blunt question asked by a teacher?
2. What does Ellen use reading for?
3. Which character gives Ellen the outfit to wear to the funeral?
4. Who does Ellen stop speaking to?
5. Who visits Ellen at school after she is a ward of the state?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how does Ellen's prejudiced nature show up?
2. Why does Ellen have to make sure that she retrieves the envelope of money from the mailbox before her father can get to it?
3. How is Ellen's obsessive side shown in Chapter 6?
4. At the funeral, why does Ellen avoid looking at her mother's grave?
5. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
6. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
7. In Chapter 2, how does Ellen hint at favoritism towards her mother's family?
8. Why does Ellen have conflicting views about Starletta's family?
9. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
10. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)