|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ellen tell her father to sleep when he passes out in the bathroom?
(a) In the bathroom.
(b) In his automobile.
(d) In the bed.
2. Where does Ellen hide on New Year's Day while she waits for her father and his friends to leave her house?
(a) In the closet.
(b) In the garage.
(c) In the woods.
(d) At Starletta's house.
3. How does Ellen respond to the blunt question asked by a teacher?
(a) She told her the truth.
(b) She walked away.
(c) She slapped her.
(d) She ran and hid in a closet.
4. When Ellen returns to school after the funeral, what does one teacher bluntly ask her?
(a) How her mother died.
(b) Why was she wearing so many clothes.
(c) Where her father was.
(d) Where had she been.
5. What does Ellen's father sign over to his relatives?
(a) The family farm.
(c) The custody of Ellen.
(d) The family car.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ellen consider killing?
2. Why does Ellen's mother's heart stop beating?
3. What does Bill do to Ellen on New Year's Eve?
4. What present does Ellen give to Starletta's family?
5. What color is the outfit Ellen is wearing to the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
2. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
3. How does the fact that Ellen is concerned with snakes in her new life hint at how she feels about the members of her family?
4. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
5. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
6. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
7. How is Ellen's obsessive side shown in Chapter 6?
8. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
9. What are some of the fun and leisure activities Ellen is granted in her new home?
10. At the funeral, why does Ellen avoid looking at her mother's grave?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)