|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the main character in the story?
2. How does Ellen respond to the blunt question asked by a teacher?
(a) She slapped her.
(b) She walked away.
(c) She told her the truth.
(d) She ran and hid in a closet.
3. What happens to Ellen when she eats the same thing as her friend's family?
(b) Her father slapped her.
(c) She wanted more.
(d) She got sick.
4. What does Bill do to Ellen on New Year's Eve?
(a) Beat her.
(b) Sexually assulted her.
(c) Gave her a present.
(d) Hugged her.
5. What make-up item does Ellen contemplate wearing to her mother's funeral?
(a) Eye liner.
(b) Eye shadow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method does Ellen consider using to kill someone?
2. Who does Ellen tell the teacher she wants to live with when the teacher asks Ellen to call someone to pick her up?
3. What is Ellen's father's name?
4. How does Ellen refer to her large head?
5. In order to stay the night at Starletta's house, what lie does Ellen tell Starletta's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how does Ellen's prejudiced nature show up?
2. The author never indicates the time period of when the events in Ellen's life are taking place. How can one tell from the context about clues that Ellen's story happens in fairly modern times?
3. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
4. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
5. How does the fact that Ellen is concerned with snakes in her new life hint at how she feels about the members of her family?
6. What are some of the fun and leisure activities Ellen is granted in her new home?
7. Why does Ellen have conflicting views about Starletta's family?
8. In what ways does the author indicate that Ellen's father killed Ellen's mother?
9. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
10. In Chapter 2, how does Ellen hint at favoritism towards her mother's family?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)