|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the grave site, who does Ellen avoid looking at?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
2. How much money does Ellen offer Starletta's family to let her stay with them?
3. What does Ellen do when her mother goes to bed?
(b) Went to bed with her.
(c) Called the police.
4. Where does Ellen hide on New Year's Day while she waits for her father and his friends to leave her house?
(a) In the garage.
(b) In the woods.
(c) In the closet.
(d) At Starletta's house.
5. Who is Ellen's friend that attends the funeral?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of sickness does Ellen say weakens her mother's heart?
2. In Ellen's new life with her new mama, what runs smoothly?
3. What does Ellen use reading for?
4. How does Ellen describe her family before the funeral?
5. Whom must Ellen share the pony with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
2. How is Ellen wearing her mother's clothes symbolic to the story?
3. Why does Ellen have to make sure that she retrieves the envelope of money from the mailbox before her father can get to it?
4. How can a reader tell that Ellen may harbor some prejudices toward African American people?
5. At the funeral, why does Ellen avoid looking at her mother's grave?
6. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
7. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
8. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
9. How does Ellen's selection of gifts show that Ellen has to take responsibility for herself?
10. In what ways does the author indicate that Ellen's father killed Ellen's mother?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)