|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Ellen's new life with her new mama, what runs smoothly?
(a) Her world.
(b) Her car.
(c) Her mother's heart.
(d) Her horse.
2. What present does Ellen give to Starletta's family?
(a) A fish.
(b) A rooster.
(c) A spoon rest.
3. Why doesn't Ellen tell anyone about her problems with her father?
(a) She was worried she'd get in trouble.
(b) She didn't care about her problems.
(c) She didn't have any problems.
(d) She was scared and untrusting.
4. What is the weather like at the funeral service?
(a) It was rainy.
(b) It was cold.
(c) It was sunny.
(d) It was foggy.
5. What animal does Ellen hope her pony would scare away?
(b) Mountain lions.
Short Answer Questions
1. The day after the funeral, where does Ellen prepare to go?
2. How long is Ellen's father gone the day after the funeral?
3. Who does Ellen plan on living with after her stay at Starletta's?
4. What is the pony's name that Ellen wants to ride?
5. What happens to Ellen when she eats the same thing as her friend's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
2. Why does Ellen feel that Starletta only likes Tom for his money?
3. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
4. How does Ellen celebrate her 11th birthday?
5. Why is church mandatory for Ellen when she moves in with her new mama?
6. How does Ellen express a lack of belonging throughout Chapters 1-8?
7. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
8. What are some of the fun and leisure activities Ellen is granted in her new home?
9. In what ways does Ellen's grandmother display paranoia?
10. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)