|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only member of Starletta's family who can read?
(a) Starletta's mom.
(b) Starletta's dad.
(d) No one.
2. What is left in Ellen's mailbox each month?
3. What is the pony's name that Ellen wants to ride?
4. How many siblings does Ellen have at her new mother's house?
5. Why does Ellen refuse to play with Starletta's toys?
(a) Starletta did not have any toys.
(b) Starletta was selfish.
(c) Starletta was mean.
(d) Starletta was dirty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen's father sign over to his relatives?
2. What is Ellen's father's name?
3. What does Ellen use reading for?
4. What writing tense does the author use to tell Ellen's story?
5. What occupation does Aunt Nadine have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ellen's obsessive side shown in Chapter 6?
2. How does the author create a reversal of the mother-daughter role in the novel?
3. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
4. What are some of the fun and leisure activities Ellen is granted in her new home?
5. At the funeral, why does Ellen avoid looking at her mother's grave?
6. In Chapter 6, how does Ellen's prejudiced nature show up?
7. How does Ellen's grandmother cause a scene at the funeral?
8. Why does Ellen feel that her relatives are phonies?
9. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
10. In what way does Ellen use reading?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)