|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ellen's father die?
(c) Natural Causes.
2. How long is Ellen's father gone the day after the funeral?
(a) About 2 hours.
(b) About 48 hours.
(c) Her father does not leave after the funeral.
(d) About 24 hours.
3. In Ellen's new life with her new mama, what runs smoothly?
(a) Her world.
(b) Her horse.
(c) Her car.
(d) Her mother's heart.
4. How many siblings does Ellen have at her new mother's house?
5. What food item does Ellen take with her on her pony ride?
Short Answer Questions
1. What luxuries does Ellen have in her new life that did not exist in her old life?
2. What activity has become an escape for Ellen?
3. What color is the outfit Ellen is wearing to the funeral?
4. What writing tense does the author use to tell Ellen's story?
5. What is the weather like at the funeral service?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gifts does Ellen buy herself for Christmas?
2. How is the pony's name, Dolphin, a symbol of freedom to Ellen?
3. Why does Ellen have to make sure that she retrieves the envelope of money from the mailbox before her father can get to it?
4. Why does Ellen have conflicting views about Starletta's family?
5. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
6. Why does Ellen choose Starletta's parents when asked by the school board if Ellen has someone to take care of her?
7. At the funeral, why does Ellen avoid looking at her mother's grave?
8. In what ways does Ellen justify not telling anyone about the circumstances of her mother's death?
9. How is Ellen's former life and her new life an example of dualism?
10. In what ways has Ellen's mother's family shown that they do not care if Ellen is being neglected?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)