|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Ellen when she eats the same thing as her friend's family?
(b) Her father slapped her.
(c) She got sick.
(d) She wanted more.
2. What does Ellen's friend's family sometimes eat?
3. What type of sickness does Ellen say weakens her mother's heart?
4. What animal does Ellen hope her pony would scare away?
(a) Mountain lions.
5. What does Ellen's father sign over to his relatives?
(a) The custody of Ellen.
(b) The family car.
(d) The family farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization does Ellen join to curb her boredom in the winter?
2. What does Ellen's father stroke while he is yelling at Ellen and her mother?
3. The day after the funeral, where does Ellen prepare to go?
4. What color is the outfit Ellen is wearing to the funeral?
5. What on Ellen's arm draws attention from her teachers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Up to Chapter 7, what are some of the ways Ellen covers up for her father?
2. What event leads to Ellen's removal from her father's care?
3. Using details from the text, describe Ellen and her grandmother's relationship.
4. Why does Ellen choose to give Nadine and Dora pictures of kittens for Christmas instead of a picture of a brooding ocean?
5. Using details from the text, describe how Ellen spends her time at Nadine's house.
6. In Chapter 2, how does Ellen hint at favoritism towards her mother's family?
7. Why does Ellen begin signing her papers with the last name Foster?
8. Using details from the text, describe Ellen's shopping system.
9. Ellen had to go to court to decide whose custody Ellen should be in. Describe what happened in court.
10. In what ways does Ellen justify not telling anyone about the circumstances of her mother's death?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)