|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Julia's husband?
2. What happens to Ellen from working so hard in the fields?
(a) She gets sick.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She makes a lot of money.
3. What does Ellen discover in Dora's underwear drawer?
(a) It was empty.
(b) A list of Dora's boyfriends.
(c) Romance novels.
4. When do Dora and Nadine attend church?
(c) On holidays.
5. What do Ellen and Starletta keep a list of?
(a) They kept a list of girls they hated.
(b) They kept a list of what they needed to tell each other.
(c) They kept a list of the times Ellen stayed over.
(d) They kept a list of boys they liked.
6. Why does Ellen's grandmother threaten to break Ellen's hands?
(a) Ellen stole something.
(b) Ellen touched her things.
(c) Ellen was cracking her knuckles.
(d) Ellen's grandmother never threatened her.
7. Who does Ellen spy on during her free time?
(b) Her father.
(c) Her grandmother.
8. What is the only question Ellen's grandmother asks Ellen on the drive to her house?
(a) If Ellen was okay.
(b) What time was it.
(c) What Ellen wanted for dinner.
(d) When school started.
9. Who leaves envelopes of money in Ellen's mailbox?
(c) Starletta's family.
(d) Her grandmother.
10. Where does someone show up looking for Ellen?
(a) At school.
(b) At her home.
(c) At her foster parents'.
(d) At her grandmother's.
11. What does Ellen tell her hostess she is doing while at her residence after her grandmother's death?
12. In Ellen's new life in Chapter 12, who wakes her up every day for school?
(b) Her new mama.
13. Who are Stella, Frances, and Jo Jo?
(a) Ellen's aunts.
(b) Ellen's cousins.
(c) Ellen's foster sisters.
(d) Ellen's friends.
14. What truth does Ellen's grandmother constantly remind Ellen of?
(a) That she had her father's eyes.
(b) That she loved her.
(c) That she was worthless.
(d) That she was adopted.
15. Whose classroom does Ellen pass on her way to music class?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dora still believe in?
2. Where does Ellen's grandmother make Ellen work?
3. When Ellen's father dies, what item does Ellen's grandmother burn?
4. What is Ellen's favorite thing to do while at her new residence after her grandmother's death?
5. What is Ellen's favorite slide to view on her microscope?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)