|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Dora and Nadine attend church?
(c) On holidays.
2. Where does someone show up looking for Ellen?
(a) At her grandmother's.
(b) At her foster parents'.
(c) At school.
(d) At her home.
3. What does Ellen vow to do if her grandmother starts to die?
(a) Run away.
(b) Wake her up.
(c) Throw water on her.
(d) Let her die.
4. Who decides that Ellen must move in with a family member?
(a) Her father.
(b) The courts.
(d) Her uncle.
5. Who comes over right away when Ellen tells them her grandmother died?
(a) Her new mama.
6. What does Ellen almost forget?
(a) Her eleventh birthday.
(b) Her best friend.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her book for school.
7. In what room does Ellen stay at her first temporary home?
(a) The guest room.
(b) The garage.
(c) The attic.
(d) The living room.
8. When Ellen does not go to her grandmother's funeral, what does Dora tell her?
(a) That she was selfish.
(b) To stay out of her room.
(c) To have fun.
(d) To go.
9. Who does Ellen spy on during her free time?
(a) Her grandmother.
(d) Her father.
10. What is mandatory every Sunday in Ellen's new home?
11. What does Ellen do a lot of while at her new temporary residence after her grandmother's death?
12. After her grandmother's death, whose room does Ellen have to stay in at her new residence?
(a) The living room.
(b) Nadine's old husband's.
13. What is the only question Ellen's grandmother asks Ellen on the drive to her house?
(a) If Ellen was okay.
(b) What Ellen wanted for dinner.
(c) When school started.
(d) What time was it.
14. How does Ellen say her father dies?
(a) From drinking too much.
(b) From the flu.
(c) From a fall.
(d) From a stroke.
15. What nickname does Ellen give her grandmother?
(c) Old Lady.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ellen's father dies, what item does Ellen's grandmother burn?
2. In Ellen's new life in Chapter 12, who wakes her up every day for school?
3. How does Ellen respond to her grandmother's reply as to why her grandmother hates her?
4. Which character dies at the end of Chapter 11?
5. What does Julia encourage Ellen to do?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)