|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Betsy and Nadine start fighting over their mother's death?
(a) They felt that Ellen killed her.
(b) They fought over money.
(c) They feel they ignored her.
(d) They fought over clothes.
2. Who is Ellen placed to live with?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her aunt.
3. Which character dies at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Aunt Betsy.
(c) Ellen's grandmother.
4. Who helps Ellen with her work in the fields?
(a) Her father.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) No one.
5. What is Ellen's favorite thing to do while at her new residence after her grandmother's death?
(a) Play video games.
(c) Look at her microscope.
6. Where does Ellen's grandmother make Ellen work?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) In the store.
(c) She did not make Ellen work.
(d) In the cotton fields.
7. What grade is Stella in?
8. Where are Julia and Roy originally from?
(a) The Midwest.
(b) The South.
(c) The West.
(d) The Northeast.
9. What is Julia as a child?
(a) A baker.
(b) A flower child.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A movie star.
10. On what day of the week does Ellen see the school counselor?
11. What does Ellen almost forget?
(a) Her eleventh birthday.
(b) Her book for school.
(c) Her best friend.
(d) Her father.
12. Who is Julia?
(a) Starletta's mom.
(b) Ellen's aunt.
(c) The art teacher.
(d) Ellen's grandmother.
13. Why does Ellen think Starletta likes white boys?
(a) Starletta did not like white boys.
(b) Because Starletta admired Ellen, and Ellen liked them.
(c) Starletta is white.
(d) They could give her more financially.
14. What does Stella do in the back of the bus?
(a) Stella didn't ride the bus.
(c) Fool around with boys.
15. What room does Ellen stay in at her grandmother's house?
(a) None, she slept on the floor.
(b) Her mother's old room.
(c) The basement.
(d) Her grandmother's room.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her grandmother's death, whose room does Ellen have to stay in at her new residence?
2. What item(s) does Ellen receive for Christmas?
3. What gift do Julia and Roy give Ellen for her birthday?
4. What request does Ellen consider asking her new mama?
5. What one thing does Ellen not do for her mother?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)