|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Ellen buy Nadine and Dora gifts for Christmas?
(a) She spent all her money on herself.
(b) She wanted to save her money.
(c) She didn't see them at Christmas.
(d) She knew they wouldn't get her anything.
2. Who does Ellen call to report her grandmother's death?
(a) Aunt Betsy.
(b) Aunt Nadine.
(c) Her father.
(d) The funeral home.
3. Who is keeping tabs on Ellen and her father for Ellen's grandmother?
(a) Ellis and Rudolph.
(b) Starletta's family.
(d) Julia and Roy.
4. What is the only thing that Dora doesn't have?
(a) A doll house.
(b) A boyfriend.
(c) A best friend.
(d) A bicycle.
5. What does Stella do in the back of the bus?
(a) Stella didn't ride the bus.
(c) Fool around with boys.
6. What item(s) does Ellen receive for Christmas?
(c) Too many to list.
(d) White paper.
7. What does Ellen do a lot of while at her new temporary residence after her grandmother's death?
8. Why doesn't Jo Jo have to participate in the after-church activity?
(a) She doesn't want to participate.
(b) She has dance lessons.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is sick.
9. In Chapter 11, what truths does Ellen begin to figure out?
(a) Her grandmother's meanness.
(b) Her relationship with Julia.
(c) Her friendship with Starletta.
(d) Her family's secrets.
10. What is the only question Ellen's grandmother asks Ellen on the drive to her house?
(a) If Ellen was okay.
(b) When school started.
(c) What Ellen wanted for dinner.
(d) What time was it.
11. Why does Ellen think Starletta likes white boys?
(a) Because Starletta admired Ellen, and Ellen liked them.
(b) Starletta is white.
(c) They could give her more financially.
(d) Starletta did not like white boys.
12. In Ellen's new life in Chapter 12, who wakes her up every day for school?
(d) Her new mama.
13. Whose behavior is worse since the death of Ellen's mother?
(b) Ellen's father's.
(c) Ellen's grandmother's.
14. What other activities must Ellen do on Sundays in her new home?
(a) Scrub the floors and vaccum.
(c) Wash, and do her homework.
(d) Wash, and clean the dishes.
15. What irks Nadine and Betsy about their mother's death?
(a) Nothing, they're devasted.
(b) That it's close to Christmas.
(c) That Ellen killed their mother.
(d) That Ellen will have to live with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What truth does Ellen's grandmother constantly remind Ellen of?
2. Who does Ellen spy on during her free time?
3. Which character dies at the end of Chapter 11?
4. On what day of the week does Ellen see the school counselor?
5. After her grandmother's death, whose room does Ellen have to stay in at her new residence?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)