|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ellen think Starletta likes white boys?
(a) Because Starletta admired Ellen, and Ellen liked them.
(b) Starletta is white.
(c) Starletta did not like white boys.
(d) They could give her more financially.
2. After her grandmother's death, whose room does Ellen have to stay in at her new residence?
(b) Nadine's old husband's.
(c) The living room.
3. Who does Ellen call to report her grandmother's death?
(a) The funeral home.
(b) Aunt Betsy.
(c) Aunt Nadine.
(d) Her father.
4. Who leaves envelopes of money in Ellen's mailbox?
(b) Her grandmother.
(d) Starletta's family.
5. What does Stella do in the back of the bus?
(a) Stella didn't ride the bus.
(d) Fool around with boys.
6. What health care options does Ellen's grandmother shun?
(a) Her doctor and medicine.
(b) Her therapist.
(d) Her chiropractor.
7. What nickname does Ellen give her grandmother?
(d) Old Lady.
8. What does Ellen tell her Aunt Nadine she would like for Christmas?
(d) White paper.
9. Where does someone show up looking for Ellen?
(a) At her foster parents'.
(b) At her home.
(c) At school.
(d) At her grandmother's.
10. What will Ellen miss the most about her grandmother's house?
(a) Her freedom.
(c) The money.
(d) Spying on the neighbors.
11. What does Ellen almost forget?
(a) Her best friend.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her eleventh birthday.
(d) Her book for school.
12. What one thing does Ellen not do for her mother?
(a) Love her.
(b) Kill her.
(c) Hate her.
(d) Save her.
13. What does Julia encourage Ellen to do?
(a) Join Girl Scouts.
(b) Hug Starletta.
(c) Murder her father.
(d) Let it all hang out.
14. Who is Roger's mother?
(a) Ellen's new mama.
15. When Ellen's father dies, what item does Ellen's grandmother burn?
(b) His clothes.
(c) A flag.
(d) A picture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What truth does Ellen's grandmother constantly remind Ellen of?
2. Who decides that Ellen must move in with a family member?
3. Who comes looking for Ellen with money in hand asking her to come back to live with them?
4. What happens to Ellen from working so hard in the fields?
5. After her grandmothers death, how does Ellen decide to treat her new residence?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)