|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What organization does Ellen join to curb her boredom in the winter?
(a) The show choir.
(b) The basketball team.
(c) The Girl Scouts.
2. What name does the well-to-do relative call Ellen's father?
(a) A snob.
(b) A failure.
(c) A drunk.
(d) A bastard.
3. What item spills out of Ellen's mother's purse?
(c) Her heart pills.
4. Before the end of the service, but after the fight with Ellen's father, what does this well-to-do relative do?
(a) Slaps Ellen's father.
(b) Kidnaps Ellen.
(c) Slaps Ellen.
(d) Leaves the service.
5. What does Ellen think her father is?
(a) A mean monster.
(b) A hard worker.
(c) A friend.
(d) A nice guy.
6. Why doesn't Ellen tell anyone about her problems with her father?
(a) She was worried she'd get in trouble.
(b) She was scared and untrusting.
(c) She didn't care about her problems.
(d) She didn't have any problems.
7. Why does Ellen's mother's heart stop beating?
(a) She was scared.
(b) She overdosed on pills.
(c) Her heart never stopped beating.
(d) She was stabbed.
8. What does Bill do to Ellen on New Year's Eve?
(a) Gave her a present.
(b) Beat her.
(c) Sexually assulted her.
(d) Hugged her.
9. At the grave site, who does Ellen avoid looking at?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
10. How does Ellen feel about her aunt?
(a) She wanted to be just like her.
(b) She disliked her.
(c) She loved her.
(d) She was indifferent to her.
11. Who does Ellen consider killing?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her friend.
(d) Her father.
12. From what room does Ellen observe her family from?
(a) The bedroom.
(b) The dining room.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The bathroom.
13. What has Ellen's mother's absence forced Ellen to obtain for herself?
14. What does Ellen use reading for?
(a) An escape from her past life.
(b) To gain knowledge.
(c) To test her friends.
(d) A way to make people jealous.
15. What present does Ellen give to Starletta's family?
(a) A rooster.
(c) A spoon rest.
(d) A fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ellen plan on living with after her stay at Starletta's?
2. The day after the funeral, where does Ellen prepare to go?
3. What does Ellen's friend's family sometimes eat?
4. Where does Ellen tell her father to sleep when he passes out in the bathroom?
5. What type of employment does Starletta's parents do?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)