|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ellen's father die?
(d) Natural Causes.
2. What has Ellen's mother's absence forced Ellen to obtain for herself?
3. What does Ellen's father sign over to his relatives?
(a) The family car.
(b) The family farm.
(d) The custody of Ellen.
4. What present does Ellen receive from Starletta's family?
(a) A sweater.
(b) A coupon.
(c) A toy.
(d) A saw.
5. What does Ellen do when her mother goes to bed?
(a) Called the police.
(c) Went to bed with her.
6. How does Ellen honor her mother?
(a) Ellen killed her father.
(b) Ellen painted a picture.
(c) Ellen wore her clothes.
(d) Ellen made a shrine.
7. In order to stay the night at Starletta's house, what lie does Ellen tell Starletta's parents?
(a) That she locked herself out.
(b) That her father was drunk.
(c) That she was scared.
(d) That her house burned down.
8. In Ellen's new life with her new mama, what runs smoothly?
(a) Her car.
(b) Her world.
(c) Her horse.
(d) Her mother's heart.
9. Why does Ellen feel that her mother is better off in the hospital than at home?
(a) At the hospital she can hide.
(b) At the hospital she is cared for.
(c) At the hospital her family loves her.
(d) At the hospital her husband visits her.
10. What is Nadine's response to the drive through this part of town?
(a) She rolls up the window.
(b) She asks to stop for some coffee.
(c) She did not have a response.
(d) She locks her doors.
11. What is Ellen's father's name?
12. Ellen's family attends a funeral for what character?
(a) Ellen's grandmother.
(b) Ellen's aunt.
(c) Ellen's mother.
(d) Ellen's father.
13. Who does Ellen plan on living with after her stay at Starletta's?
(a) Aunt Nadine.
(b) Aunt Betsy.
(d) Her grandmother.
14. What happens to Ellen's mother's clothes?
(a) Ellen donated them to charity.
(b) Ellen's father burned them.
(c) Ellen's grandmother took them away.
(d) Ellen outgrew them.
15. What well-to-do relative of Ellen's attends the funeral?
(a) Her maternal grandmother.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her paternal grandmother.
(d) Her aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hygiene task does Ellen let her new mama perform on her?
2. What errand does Ellen enjoy partaking in with her new mama?
3. Why doesn't Ellen tell anyone about her problems with her father?
4. What does Ellen's friend's family sometimes eat?
5. Who are Rudolph and Ellis?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)