|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Ellen offer Starletta's family to let her stay with them?
2. What writing tense does the author use to tell Ellen's story?
(a) Present tense.
(b) Future tense.
(c) Past and the present tense.
(d) Past tense.
3. What luxuries does Ellen have in her new life that did not exist in her old life?
(a) Books, parents and horses.
(b) Horses, parents and clothes.
(c) Food, clothes and friends.
(d) Food, books and television.
4. Why does Ellen wear her coat to bed?
(a) She only had on her coat.
(b) She was too tired to take her coat off.
(c) She was cold.
(d) She didn't want to touch the covers.
5. What type of sickness does Ellen say weakens her mother's heart?
6. What does Ellen's father sign over to his relatives?
(b) The family farm.
(c) The custody of Ellen.
(d) The family car.
7. What season does the funeral take place in?
8. Whom must Ellen share the pony with?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) No one.
(c) The other children in the house.
(d) Her father.
9. What has Ellen's mother's absence forced Ellen to obtain for herself?
10. When Ellen returns to school after the funeral, what does one teacher bluntly ask her?
(a) Where had she been.
(b) Where her father was.
(c) How her mother died.
(d) Why was she wearing so many clothes.
11. In order to stay the night at Starletta's house, what lie does Ellen tell Starletta's parents?
(a) That her father was drunk.
(b) That her house burned down.
(c) That she was scared.
(d) That she locked herself out.
12. How does Ellen refer to her large head?
(c) Nearly defective.
13. What does Ellen contemplate before leaving the bathroom to give everyone something to talk about?
(a) Hugging her cousin.
(b) Padding her dress.
(c) Outing her father.
(d) Hitting her aunt.
14. Who is the only member of Starletta's family who can read?
(a) Starletta's mom.
(b) No one.
(d) Starletta's dad.
15. Who takes Ellen into town for a new coat?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Starletta's father.
(d) Her aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object does Ellen spy in one yard that she would like to have?
2. Who are Rudolph and Ellis?
3. What item spills out of Ellen's mother's purse?
4. What does Ellen think her father is?
5. Where does Ellen celebrate her first Christmas after her mother's death?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)