|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nadine's response to the drive through this part of town?
(a) She asks to stop for some coffee.
(b) She rolls up the window.
(c) She locks her doors.
(d) She did not have a response.
2. Where does Ellen celebrate her first Christmas after her mother's death?
(a) With her father.
(b) At her grandmother's house.
(c) Nowhere; Ellen stopped celebrating christmas.
(d) At Starletta's house.
3. What present does Ellen give to Starletta's family?
(a) A fish.
(b) A spoon rest.
(d) A rooster.
4. Why doesn't Ellen tell anyone about her problems with her father?
(a) She was worried she'd get in trouble.
(b) She didn't have any problems.
(c) She was scared and untrusting.
(d) She didn't care about her problems.
5. What color is the outfit Ellen is wearing to the funeral?
(a) Blue plaid.
(d) Red plaid.
6. Who visits Ellen at school after she is a ward of the state?
(a) Her mother.
(b) No one.
(c) A psychiatrist.
(d) Her father.
7. Where does Ellen hide on New Year's Day while she waits for her father and his friends to leave her house?
(a) In the garage.
(b) At Starletta's house.
(c) In the woods.
(d) In the closet.
8. What organization does Ellen join to curb her boredom in the winter?
(b) The Girl Scouts.
(c) The show choir.
(d) The basketball team.
9. How does Ellen respond to the blunt question asked by a teacher?
(a) She walked away.
(b) She slapped her.
(c) She ran and hid in a closet.
(d) She told her the truth.
10. Why does Ellen refuse to play with Starletta's toys?
(a) Starletta did not have any toys.
(b) Starletta was selfish.
(c) Starletta was dirty.
(d) Starletta was mean.
11. How long is Ellen's father gone the day after the funeral?
(a) About 24 hours.
(b) About 2 hours.
(c) Her father does not leave after the funeral.
(d) About 48 hours.
12. How does Ellen honor her mother?
(a) Ellen killed her father.
(b) Ellen made a shrine.
(c) Ellen wore her clothes.
(d) Ellen painted a picture.
13. What does Ellen's father sign over to his relatives?
(b) The custody of Ellen.
(c) The family car.
(d) The family farm.
14. What is the weather like at the funeral service?
(a) It was sunny.
(b) It was cold.
(c) It was foggy.
(d) It was rainy.
15. What activity has become an escape for Ellen?
(b) Playing computer games.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item spills out of Ellen's mother's purse?
2. Who is Ellen's friend that attends the funeral?
3. Who does Ellen consider killing?
4. At the grave site, who does Ellen avoid looking at?
5. Who takes Ellen into town for a new coat?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)