|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ellen use reading for?
(a) A way to make people jealous.
(b) To test her friends.
(c) An escape from her past life.
(d) To gain knowledge.
2. What does Ellen's father sign over to his relatives?
(a) The family car.
(b) The family farm.
(c) The custody of Ellen.
3. Which character gives Ellen the outfit to wear to the funeral?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Aunt Nadine.
4. What make-up item does Ellen contemplate wearing to her mother's funeral?
(c) Eye liner.
(d) Eye shadow.
5. Where does Ellen celebrate her first Christmas after her mother's death?
(a) Nowhere; Ellen stopped celebrating christmas.
(b) With her father.
(c) At her grandmother's house.
(d) At Starletta's house.
6. Who does Ellen consider killing?
(a) Her father.
(c) Her friend.
(d) Her mother.
7. Whom must Ellen share the pony with?
(a) The other children in the house.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) No one.
(d) Her father.
8. Who is the only member of Starletta's family who can read?
(a) Starletta's mom.
(c) No one.
(d) Starletta's dad.
9. Why does Ellen's mother's heart stop beating?
(a) She was scared.
(b) She was stabbed.
(c) Her heart never stopped beating.
(d) She overdosed on pills.
10. Ellen's family attends a funeral for what character?
(a) Ellen's father.
(b) Ellen's aunt.
(c) Ellen's mother.
(d) Ellen's grandmother.
11. What does Ellen do when her mother goes to bed?
(b) Called the police.
(d) Went to bed with her.
12. What type of employment does Starletta's parents do?
(a) They were shop owners.
(b) They were unemployed.
(c) They were lawyers.
(d) They were cotton pickers.
13. What season does the funeral take place in?
14. What is Nadine's response to the drive through this part of town?
(a) She rolls up the window.
(b) She locks her doors.
(c) She asks to stop for some coffee.
(d) She did not have a response.
15. Who is Ellen's friend that attends the funeral?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like at the funeral service?
2. What is Ellen's father's name?
3. How does Ellen respond to the blunt question asked by a teacher?
4. What does Ellen contemplate before leaving the bathroom to give everyone something to talk about?
5. Who visits Ellen at school after she is a ward of the state?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)