|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ellen refer to her large head?
(d) Nearly defective.
2. Where does Ellen tell her father to sleep when he passes out in the bathroom?
(a) In the bathroom.
(b) In his automobile.
(d) In the bed.
3. What does Ellen's father stroke while he is yelling at Ellen and her mother?
(a) His beard.
(b) A cat.
(c) His arm.
(d) A pocketknife.
4. What is Ellen's father's name?
5. The day after the funeral, where does Ellen prepare to go?
(a) The skating rink.
(b) The mall.
6. What happens to Ellen's mother's clothes?
(a) Ellen donated them to charity.
(b) Ellen outgrew them.
(c) Ellen's father burned them.
(d) Ellen's grandmother took them away.
7. What make-up item does Ellen contemplate wearing to her mother's funeral?
(a) Eye shadow.
(c) Eye liner.
8. How does Ellen honor her mother?
(a) Ellen wore her clothes.
(b) Ellen made a shrine.
(c) Ellen painted a picture.
(d) Ellen killed her father.
9. How does Ellen feel about her aunt?
(a) She loved her.
(b) She wanted to be just like her.
(c) She was indifferent to her.
(d) She disliked her.
10. At the grave site, who does Ellen avoid looking at?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her aunt.
11. What type of sickness does Ellen say weakens her mother's heart?
12. How long is Ellen's father gone the day after the funeral?
(a) About 48 hours.
(b) About 24 hours.
(c) About 2 hours.
(d) Her father does not leave after the funeral.
13. How does Ellen respond to the blunt question asked by a teacher?
(a) She told her the truth.
(b) She slapped her.
(c) She ran and hid in a closet.
(d) She walked away.
14. What writing tense does the author use to tell Ellen's story?
(a) Past and the present tense.
(b) Future tense.
(c) Present tense.
(d) Past tense.
15. Who takes Ellen into town for a new coat?
(a) Her father.
(b) Starletta's father.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dora?
2. What does Ellen contemplate before leaving the bathroom to give everyone something to talk about?
3. What errand does Ellen enjoy partaking in with her new mama?
4. Who are Rudolph and Ellis?
5. Who is the only member of Starletta's family who can read?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)