|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nadine's response to the drive through this part of town?
(a) She locks her doors.
(b) She asks to stop for some coffee.
(c) She rolls up the window.
(d) She did not have a response.
2. What on Ellen's arm draws attention from her teachers?
(a) A scratch.
(b) A bruise.
(c) A tattoo.
(d) A cast.
3. The day after the funeral, where does Ellen prepare to go?
(b) The mall.
(c) The skating rink.
4. How does Ellen refer to her large head?
(d) Nearly defective.
5. What method does Ellen consider using to kill someone?
(a) A poisonous spider.
(b) A knife.
(c) A pillow.
(d) A bottle of pills.
6. In Ellen's new life with her new mama, what runs smoothly?
(a) Her horse.
(b) Her world.
(c) Her mother's heart.
(d) Her car.
7. Who is the main character in the story?
8. What food item does Ellen take with her on her pony ride?
9. Whom must Ellen share the pony with?
(a) The other children in the house.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) No one.
(d) Her father.
10. Which character gives Ellen the outfit to wear to the funeral?
(a) Aunt Nadine.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
11. Who takes Ellen into town for a new coat?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her father.
(d) Starletta's father.
12. Why doesn't Ellen tell anyone about her problems with her father?
(a) She didn't have any problems.
(b) She didn't care about her problems.
(c) She was worried she'd get in trouble.
(d) She was scared and untrusting.
13. What luxuries does Ellen have in her new life that did not exist in her old life?
(a) Books, parents and horses.
(b) Food, clothes and friends.
(c) Food, books and television.
(d) Horses, parents and clothes.
14. What writing tense does the author use to tell Ellen's story?
(a) Future tense.
(b) Past tense.
(c) Present tense.
(d) Past and the present tense.
15. What has Ellen's mother's absence forced Ellen to obtain for herself?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ellen describe her family before the funeral?
2. How does Ellen explain the item on her arm?
3. What color is the outfit Ellen is wearing to the funeral?
4. Who does Ellen plan on living with after her stay at Starletta's?
5. What make-up item does Ellen contemplate wearing to her mother's funeral?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)