|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits Ellen at school after she is a ward of the state?
(a) A psychiatrist.
(b) Her father.
(c) No one.
(d) Her mother.
2. What occupation does Aunt Nadine have?
(a) A food slicer demonstrator.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A housewife.
(d) A funeral director.
3. Who is the only member of Starletta's family who can read?
(a) Starletta's dad.
(c) Starletta's mom.
(d) No one.
4. How long is Ellen's father gone the day after the funeral?
(a) About 24 hours.
(b) About 2 hours.
(c) Her father does not leave after the funeral.
(d) About 48 hours.
5. What does Ellen's father stroke while he is yelling at Ellen and her mother?
(a) His beard.
(b) His arm.
(c) A cat.
(d) A pocketknife.
6. What does Ellen do when her mother goes to bed?
(a) Called the police.
(b) Went to bed with her.
7. What does Ellen use reading for?
(a) A way to make people jealous.
(b) To test her friends.
(c) To gain knowledge.
(d) An escape from her past life.
8. Where does Ellen hide on New Year's Day while she waits for her father and his friends to leave her house?
(a) In the garage.
(b) At Starletta's house.
(c) In the closet.
(d) In the woods.
9. What on Ellen's arm draws attention from her teachers?
(a) A scratch.
(b) A bruise.
(c) A cast.
(d) A tattoo.
10. How does Ellen honor her mother?
(a) Ellen wore her clothes.
(b) Ellen made a shrine.
(c) Ellen killed her father.
(d) Ellen painted a picture.
11. How long does Ellen's new roommate let her stay when Ellen runs away from her father's home?
(a) A month.
(b) A week.
(d) The weekend.
12. Why does Ellen feel that her mother is better off in the hospital than at home?
(a) At the hospital her family loves her.
(b) At the hospital she can hide.
(c) At the hospital she is cared for.
(d) At the hospital her husband visits her.
13. Where does Ellen tell her father to sleep when he passes out in the bathroom?
(a) In the bed.
(b) In his automobile.
(d) In the bathroom.
14. What season does the funeral take place in?
15. What well-to-do relative of Ellen's attends the funeral?
(a) Her paternal grandmother.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her maternal grandmother.
(d) Her aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object does Ellen spy in one yard that she would like to have?
2. What method does Ellen consider using to kill someone?
3. How does Ellen's father die?
4. What does Bill do to Ellen on New Year's Eve?
5. What does Ellen's friend's family sometimes eat?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)