|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Grace doing as Cy is finishing with the soldier?
2. After hearing Grace talk, what does Cy wonder about her?
3. Why does the management of the baby incubation exhibition allow Grace to come in for free?
4. In what condition do they find Sedak?
5. Why does Coney Island offer anything repulsive, breathtaking, or monstrously new that people are willing to pay to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first meeting between Arturas and Claudia Overas and Cy.
2. Why do you think Cy returns to Pedder Street in Morecambe?
3. What is the connection between the game of chess and Grace?
4. Why does tattooing survive change?
5. Do you think Sedak deserves what they do to him?
6. How does Grace send Eva's ghost packing?
7. How does Cy feel about tattooing?
8. When Cy is somewhat inebriated in Vargas, he makes what connection between Grace and his mother and how does he react to that connection?
9. How does Cy remember Grace?
10. How does Cy compare Coney Island to Morecambe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," Cy meets Artura and Claudia Overas.
1. Compare and contrast Cy and Artura.
2. Compare and contrast Grace and Claudia.
3. Why do you think Claudia has a larger role in the novel than Artura, who is after all, a tattoo artist like Cy and it is a book predominantly about tattoos?
Essay Topic 2
As Cy is working for Riley after his mother has died, Cy continues to judge life by Reeda's standards for many years after she dies. Eventually, he begins to judge life by Riley's standards. After he has moved to Brooklyn and lives in a world of which Riley nor Reeda know anything, their ideas still greatly influence his interpretations of the life around him. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Discuss how Riley's influence is still a large part of Cy's life in America.
2. Discuss how his mother's ideas inform Cy's adult life--be sure to include specific examples.
3. At what point in Cy's life does Cy begin formulating his own ideas about life? Give examples. Do Reeda's and Riley's influence ever completely fade out of Cy's mind?
Essay Topic 3
Part 2, "The Lady of Many Eyes," Cy goes to Varga's the night that Grace has given her the design so he can have a stiff drink or two before looking at the design. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Briefly describe the design and Cy's reaction to seeing it. Why do you think he reacts that way? He alternately wants to confront Grace and just accept. Why? What does he end up doing?
2. What do you think is the symbolic significance of the eye design? Why do you think Grace chooses it? If you were looking at someone covered in tattoos of a hieroglyphic-like eye, what would be your response?
3. What do you think Grace meant when she says in reply to Cy asking if she wants a full-body tattoo, "Sure. Until I am gone, poof, no more."? Is Grace using the tattooing of her body as a metaphor for something else? What?
This section contains 1,561 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)