|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the Varga Oyster Bar?
2. Why do tattooists stand apart from the tricksters and freaks?
3. Why does Coney Island offer anything repulsive, breathtaking, or monstrously new that people are willing to pay to see?
4. What does Cy do when he visits Maximus?
5. What happens as Grace lies in the hospital?
Essay Topic 1
The characters in Electric Michelangelo are the central focus of the novel; in other words, the characters drive the plot rather than the other way around as is the case in some novels. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Write an in-depth character analysis of Cy Parks. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate him. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
2. Write an in-depth character analysis of Grace. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate her. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
3. Choose three other characters besides Grace or Cy and write about them in relationship to both Grace and Cy. Are they friendly or hostile to either main character? Explain with examples. What is their purpose(s) in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Part 2, "The Lady of Many Eyes," Cy goes to Varga's the night that Grace has given her the design so he can have a stiff drink or two before looking at the design. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Briefly describe the design and Cy's reaction to seeing it. Why do you think he reacts that way? He alternately wants to confront Grace and just accept. Why? What does he end up doing?
2. What do you think is the symbolic significance of the eye design? Why do you think Grace chooses it? If you were looking at someone covered in tattoos of a hieroglyphic-like eye, what would be your response?
3. What do you think Grace meant when she says in reply to Cy asking if she wants a full-body tattoo, "Sure. Until I am gone, poof, no more."? Is Grace using the tattooing of her body as a metaphor for something else? What?
Essay Topic 3
There are several metaphors throughout the book, Electric Michelangelo, perhaps one of the most striking is that of Grace and her tattoos. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Define metaphor and symbolism and compare the two using specific examples both from the book and other sources. Which do you feel is more effective? Which seems better at expressing the idea of an abstract concept? Why would you use one over the other--give specific examples.
2. For what do you think Grace's body is a metaphor? Explain using specific examples. Does the metaphor work for you?
3. Write a real or hypothetical situation in your personal experience that includes one or more abstract concepts and then create a metaphor to express that experience. Next, choose a way to use symbolism in the telling of the experience. Which way seems more effective at portraying the experience?
This section contains 3,225 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)