|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bounces off Claudia like hail from an ox's rump?
2. What does Henry find when he climbs the floor to where Sedak is held?
3. Where is Cy when "Babylon in Brooklyn" opens?
4. Why does Coney Island offer anything repulsive, breathtaking, or monstrously new that people are willing to pay to see?
5. What is Grace doing as Cy is finishing with the soldier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret of Claudia's does Grace hold?
2. Why does tattooing survive change?
3. What does Cy think about Coney Island and how do you interpret that?
4. How are tattooists looked at in Coney Island?
5. When Grace is out of the hospital and visits Cy, how is her body described and how does Cy respond?
6. How is Grace described at the beginning of "The Lady of Many Eyes"?
7. Why do you think Cy returns to Pedder Street in Morecambe?
8. Do you think Sedak deserves what they do to him?
9. Why does Cy not knock on apartment number 104, though it draws him?
10. How does Grace send Eva's ghost packing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," much narration is devoted to describing Coney Island. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare and contrast Coney Island with Cy's boyhood home, Morecambe.
2. Find all the references to Coney Island and explain the relation of this setting to two of the major themes of the book.
3. How are Coney Island and the mystique of tattoos compatible? Not compatible?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 2, "The Lady of Many Eyes," there is a description of the baby incubation exhibition. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. What is the baby incubation exhibition? Could something like that exist except in fiction?
2. How is the baby incubation exhibition related thematically to the rest of the book?
3. Why does Claudia go there week after week? Do you think there would ever come a time when she would stop? When? Why would she stop going there?
4. Why do you think Claudia will allow Grace to lead her away from the baby incubation exhibition? What does this say about the friendship between the two?
5. Would you ever want to go to a baby incubation exhibition? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, "History's Ink," Malcolm Sedak pours acid upon Grace. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text, your research or personal experience:
1. What foreshadowing is there to warn the readers of the scene at the opening to "History's Ink" when Grace is horribly attacked? Give examples and why you think the examples foreshadow the event. Do you think something as intense as this scene needs to be foreshadowed? Why or why not?
2. Discuss the various responses to the attack. Was Claudia justified in beating Sedak? How about Henry giving Grace morphine or Cy believing he has to stay in the hospital or Grace will die? What do you think was Grace's thoughts about it as she lies in the hospital?
This section contains 1,390 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)