|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first touch between Cy and Grace like?
2. What does the missing guard report when Henry finds him?
3. What does Jonesy think is keeping the ladies away from Cy?
4. What does a voice advise a soldier to do while he is getting a tattoo?
5. With what is Claudia obsessed?
Essay Topic 1
This book is as much about ideas as action/events, if not more so. Choose one of the following ideas and write a persuasive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Tattooing is as valid an art form as any seen in an art museum. (An idea woven throughout the entire book).
2. Horror, sin, evil and lunacy is truth on a par with the love of God and beatific goodness. (An idea found in Part 1, "The Kaiser and the Queen of Morecambe.")
3. America requires voyeurism in every attraction, because it substitutes emotion for thought. (An idea found in Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn.")
Essay Topic 2
Near the very end of the book after Cy has returned to Morecambe, he takes on an apprentice, Nina Shearer. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare and contrast Nina's behavior as an apprentice to Cy's behavior as an apprentice.
2. Compare and contrast Riley's teaching methods to Cy's teaching methods.
3. Discuss how effective Riley and Cy's teaching methods are and Cy and Nina's learning methods are and the strengths and weaknesses of each. To which teacher would you more likely be similar? Which apprentice?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in Electric Michelangelo are the central focus of the novel; in other words, the characters drive the plot rather than the other way around as is the case in some novels. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Write an in-depth character analysis of Cy Parks. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate him. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
2. Write an in-depth character analysis of Grace. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate her. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
3. Choose three other characters besides Grace or Cy and write about them in relationship to both Grace and Cy. Are they friendly or hostile to either main character? Explain with examples. What is their purpose(s) in the story?
This section contains 3,228 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)