|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Malcolm Sedak?
2. Who has taken care of the horse?
3. What happens as Grace lies in the hospital?
4. What requires appalling discipline on Cy's part?
5. What is a tattooist's paradise and can easily accommodate more artists?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Cy is somewhat inebriated in Vargas, he makes what connection between Grace and his mother and how does he react to that connection?
2. When Grace is out of the hospital and visits Cy, how is her body described and how does Cy respond?
3. Describe the first meeting between Arturas and Claudia Overas and Cy.
4. How does Claudia become to have so many tattoos and to what does that lead Artura and Claudia?
5. Why does tattooing survive change?
6. Describe the last image in the book and what you think is its meaning.
7. How does Grace send Eva's ghost packing?
8. Why do you think Cy returns to Pedder Street in Morecambe?
9. How had Grace come to be known by some many so that perhaps Sedak knows of her and judges her?
10. What gives a possible hint to a terrible secret in Grace's past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grace is probably the most complex character in the book. Most readers might even say that they don't ever fully understand her or her motives. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. What is it about Grace that intimidates the soldiers in Cy's shop in Part 2, "The Lady of Many Eyes"?
2. Besides being intimidated, the soldiers are also sexually attracted to Grace. Why do you think that is true? Or do you? Which emotion of the soldiers seems stronger--fear or attraction? Is there something about their fear that actually intensifies their attraction?
3. The soldiers imply that Grace's sanity is questionable. What do you think? Is the way she treats the soldiers sane? Why or why not?
4. What do you think is the significance of Grace's action when she confronts the soldiers and licks her thumb and touches the soldier's cheek?
Essay Topic 2
In part one, "Bloodlights," there is imagery surrounding the color red and blood; the basins of red expectorant; the blood from abortions; the red of the Aurora Borealis lights. Since even in this chapter most readers know that the story is about a tattoo artist, red seems to be a compelling color to wrap around the novel. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Follow the images of blood and the color red that occurs throughout the novel and interpret the individual images and then write an analysis of the symbolic meaning of the color red and blood.
2. Write an essay on the use of symbols in this book. Choose three symbols that seem important and discuss their significance and meaning, using specific examples. How does the use of the symbols enhance your understanding of textual meaning? Or does it? How would the text change if the symbols were not used?
3. Write an essay on the use of symbols in our everyday life. Choose several symbols that seem universal to American culture and discuss their significance and meaning. Why are symbols used? Are they a sort of shorthand to express concepts? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, "History's Ink," Malcolm Sedak pours acid upon Grace. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text, your research or personal experience:
1. What foreshadowing is there to warn the readers of the scene at the opening to "History's Ink" when Grace is horribly attacked? Give examples and why you think the examples foreshadow the event. Do you think something as intense as this scene needs to be foreshadowed? Why or why not?
2. Discuss the various responses to the attack. Was Claudia justified in beating Sedak? How about Henry giving Grace morphine or Cy believing he has to stay in the hospital or Grace will die? What do you think was Grace's thoughts about it as she lies in the hospital?
This section contains 1,574 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)