|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do tattooists stand apart from the tricksters and freaks?
2. Who is Arturas?
3. Why is Claudia obsessed with the baby incubation exhibition?
4. What is Grace doing as Cy is finishing with the soldier?
5. After hearing Grace talk, what does Cy wonder about her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are tattooists looked at in Coney Island?
2. What secret of Claudia's does Grace hold?
3. What does Cy think he sees in a neighboring apartment that makes him question his sanity?
4. When Grace is out of the hospital and visits Cy, how is her body described and how does Cy respond?
5. Why do you think Cy returns to Pedder Street in Morecambe?
6. How does Cy remember Grace?
7. Describe the first few days that Cy spends at the hospital.
8. When Cy is somewhat inebriated in Vargas, he makes what connection between Grace and his mother and how does he react to that connection?
9. Why does tattooing survive change?
10. Do you think Sedak deserves what they do to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," the game of chess is introduced by the idea that chess is Varga's passion, and participants do not maintain European manners, but play viciously and inconsiderately. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. What characters are most involved in chess? How are they involved? Give examples.
2. Cy thinks he can understand who Grace is by understanding how she plays chess. Is he successful? What does he learn about Grace from her chess-playing style?
3. Grace is playing chess when Sedak assaults her. How is chess symbolic of this assault? Does Sedak achieve checkmate? Does Grace and Cy later achieve checkmate? Explain.
4. Why do you think Chess is so important in a novel which is predominantly about the world of the tattoo parlor? Do chess and tattoos belong together somehow?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," much narration is devoted to describing Coney Island. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare and contrast Coney Island with Cy's boyhood home, Morecambe.
2. Find all the references to Coney Island and explain the relation of this setting to two of the major themes of the book.
3. How are Coney Island and the mystique of tattoos compatible? Not compatible?
Essay Topic 3
As Cy is working for Riley after his mother has died, Cy continues to judge life by Reeda's standards for many years after she dies. Eventually, he begins to judge life by Riley's standards. After he has moved to Brooklyn and lives in a world of which Riley nor Reeda know anything, their ideas still greatly influence his interpretations of the life around him. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Discuss how Riley's influence is still a large part of Cy's life in America.
2. Discuss how his mother's ideas inform Cy's adult life--be sure to include specific examples.
3. At what point in Cy's life does Cy begin formulating his own ideas about life? Give examples. Do Reeda's and Riley's influence ever completely fade out of Cy's mind?
This section contains 1,431 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)