|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems preordained in Cy's way of thinking?
2. Why do tattooists stand apart from the tricksters and freaks?
3. What does the missing guard report when Henry finds him?
4. What does Claudia do to Grace's assailant?
5. Who owns the Varga Oyster Bar?
Essay Topic 1
This book is as much about ideas as action/events, if not more so. Choose one of the following ideas and write a persuasive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Tattooing is as valid an art form as any seen in an art museum. (An idea woven throughout the entire book).
2. Horror, sin, evil and lunacy is truth on a par with the love of God and beatific goodness. (An idea found in Part 1, "The Kaiser and the Queen of Morecambe.")
3. America requires voyeurism in every attraction, because it substitutes emotion for thought. (An idea found in Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn.")
Essay Topic 2
There are several metaphors throughout the book, Electric Michelangelo, perhaps one of the most striking is that of Grace and her tattoos. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Define metaphor and symbolism and compare the two using specific examples both from the book and other sources. Which do you feel is more effective? Which seems better at expressing the idea of an abstract concept? Why would you use one over the other--give specific examples.
2. For what do you think Grace's body is a metaphor? Explain using specific examples. Does the metaphor work for you?
3. Write a real or hypothetical situation in your personal experience that includes one or more abstract concepts and then create a metaphor to express that experience. Next, choose a way to use symbolism in the telling of the experience. Which way seems more effective at portraying the experience?
Essay Topic 3
Near the very end of the book after Cy has returned to Morecambe, he takes on an apprentice, Nina Shearer. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare and contrast Nina's behavior as an apprentice to Cy's behavior as an apprentice.
2. Compare and contrast Riley's teaching methods to Cy's teaching methods.
3. Discuss how effective Riley and Cy's teaching methods are and Cy and Nina's learning methods are and the strengths and weaknesses of each. To which teacher would you more likely be similar? Which apprentice?
This section contains 3,206 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)