|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Cy meet Arturas and Claudia Overas?
2. What happens as Grace lies in the hospital?
3. What requires appalling discipline on Cy's part?
4. Where do Claudia and Arturas decide to move and work?
5. Who has taken care of the horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Grace is out of the hospital and visits Cy, how is her body described and how does Cy respond?
2. How does Cy remember Grace?
3. How does Cy compare Coney Island to Morecambe?
4. What is the story Henry gives about what happens at the asylum and do the police believe him?
5. What does the narrator say about the light in Brooklyn?
6. What are Sedak's motives in attacking Grace?
7. How are tattooists looked at in Coney Island?
8. Describe the first few days that Cy spends at the hospital.
9. Why do you think Cy returns to Pedder Street in Morecambe?
10. What secret of Claudia's does Grace hold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in Electric Michelangelo are the central focus of the novel; in other words, the characters drive the plot rather than the other way around as is the case in some novels. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Write an in-depth character analysis of Cy Parks. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate him. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
2. Write an in-depth character analysis of Grace. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate her. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
3. Choose three other characters besides Grace or Cy and write about them in relationship to both Grace and Cy. Are they friendly or hostile to either main character? Explain with examples. What is their purpose(s) in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Near the very end of the book after Cy has returned to Morecambe, he takes on an apprentice, Nina Shearer. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare and contrast Nina's behavior as an apprentice to Cy's behavior as an apprentice.
2. Compare and contrast Riley's teaching methods to Cy's teaching methods.
3. Discuss how effective Riley and Cy's teaching methods are and Cy and Nina's learning methods are and the strengths and weaknesses of each. To which teacher would you more likely be similar? Which apprentice?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 1, "Salvaging Renaissance," Cy thinks that every stage in the passage of life leaves physical mementos and that tattoos can be briefly upsetting, but eventually they become just part of the anatomy. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. What do the above thoughts mean to you? Do you believe the ideas to hold truth?
2. When Cy thinks that eventually tattoos become just part of the anatomy, do you think he is suggesting that tattoos have little lasting value? If so, how does he value his work?
3. If tattoos record life's moments, why do you think some people go through much pain and expense to have a tattoo removed later?
This section contains 1,618 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)