|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claudia do to Grace's assailant?
2. What does Cy realize about the skin after the doctor talks to him?
3. What requires appalling discipline on Cy's part?
4. Why does Coney Island offer anything repulsive, breathtaking, or monstrously new that people are willing to pay to see?
5. Why do tattooists stand apart from the tricksters and freaks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 1, "Salvaging Renaissance," the narrator states that Cy's routine always begins with the question, "Ready?" It asks endorsement of the change Cy and the client are about to effect, an oral signature that Cy will match in ink on skin. Because some customers take the opportunity to flee, Riley berates Cy to comfort customers instead. Tell a story. Tell a joke. Saying nothing is bad form. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare and contrast Cy's handling of clients both in this part and future parts with the way Riley handles clients.
2. Which "bedside manner" would you prefer? Do you think women would prefer Riley's approach more than Cy's? Or vice versa? What about men?
3. Should Riley be trying to distract a client from changing his or her mind? Should the client not be distracted so that s/he can make a last minute change of mind?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 1, "Salvaging Renaissance," Cy thinks that every stage in the passage of life leaves physical mementos and that tattoos can be briefly upsetting, but eventually they become just part of the anatomy. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. What do the above thoughts mean to you? Do you believe the ideas to hold truth?
2. When Cy thinks that eventually tattoos become just part of the anatomy, do you think he is suggesting that tattoos have little lasting value? If so, how does he value his work?
3. If tattoos record life's moments, why do you think some people go through much pain and expense to have a tattoo removed later?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, "History's Ink," Malcolm Sedak pours acid upon Grace. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text, your research or personal experience:
1. What foreshadowing is there to warn the readers of the scene at the opening to "History's Ink" when Grace is horribly attacked? Give examples and why you think the examples foreshadow the event. Do you think something as intense as this scene needs to be foreshadowed? Why or why not?
2. Discuss the various responses to the attack. Was Claudia justified in beating Sedak? How about Henry giving Grace morphine or Cy believing he has to stay in the hospital or Grace will die? What do you think was Grace's thoughts about it as she lies in the hospital?
This section contains 3,258 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)