|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hums perpetually, eliciting screams?
2. What bounces off Claudia like hail from an ox's rump?
3. When Cy walks Grace home when he first meets her, what does he think about at the door?
4. Why do the police close Sedak's file?
5. What does Grace's paper show?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first few days that Cy spends at the hospital.
2. Why do you think Cy returns to Pedder Street in Morecambe?
3. Why does Cy not knock on apartment number 104, though it draws him?
4. How does Grace send Eva's ghost packing?
5. What are the sexual images Cy has of mermaids?
6. How does Claudia become to have so many tattoos and to what does that lead Artura and Claudia?
7. How had Grace come to be known by some many so that perhaps Sedak knows of her and judges her?
8. How does Cy first meet Grace?
9. What secret of Claudia's does Grace hold?
10. Why does Cy stay open on rainy days and describe one such day.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Near the very end of the book after Cy has returned to Morecambe, he takes on an apprentice, Nina Shearer. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare and contrast Nina's behavior as an apprentice to Cy's behavior as an apprentice.
2. Compare and contrast Riley's teaching methods to Cy's teaching methods.
3. Discuss how effective Riley and Cy's teaching methods are and Cy and Nina's learning methods are and the strengths and weaknesses of each. To which teacher would you more likely be similar? Which apprentice?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in Electric Michelangelo are the central focus of the novel; in other words, the characters drive the plot rather than the other way around as is the case in some novels. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Write an in-depth character analysis of Cy Parks. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate him. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
2. Write an in-depth character analysis of Grace. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate her. What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
3. Choose three other characters besides Grace or Cy and write about them in relationship to both Grace and Cy. Are they friendly or hostile to either main character? Explain with examples. What is their purpose(s) in the story?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," much narration is devoted to describing Coney Island. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare and contrast Coney Island with Cy's boyhood home, Morecambe.
2. Find all the references to Coney Island and explain the relation of this setting to two of the major themes of the book.
3. How are Coney Island and the mystique of tattoos compatible? Not compatible?
This section contains 1,511 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)