|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cy watch at Varga's?
2. What does Cy think he sees in an apartment below him?
3. How can Cy draw mermaids?
4. Of whom does the tall nurse who sends Cy home remind Cy?
5. Why does Coney Island offer anything repulsive, breathtaking, or monstrously new that people are willing to pay to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are tattooists looked at in Coney Island?
2. Why does Cy stay open on rainy days and describe one such day.
3. Describe the last image in the book and what you think is its meaning.
4. How does Cy remember Grace?
5. What gives a possible hint to a terrible secret in Grace's past?
6. What is the connection between the game of chess and Grace?
7. Describe the first few days that Cy spends at the hospital.
8. Why does tattooing survive change?
9. What secret of Claudia's does Grace hold?
10. Why does Cy not knock on apartment number 104, though it draws him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 2, "History's Ink," Malcolm Sedak pours acid upon Grace. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text, your research or personal experience:
1. What foreshadowing is there to warn the readers of the scene at the opening to "History's Ink" when Grace is horribly attacked? Give examples and why you think the examples foreshadow the event. Do you think something as intense as this scene needs to be foreshadowed? Why or why not?
2. Discuss the various responses to the attack. Was Claudia justified in beating Sedak? How about Henry giving Grace morphine or Cy believing he has to stay in the hospital or Grace will die? What do you think was Grace's thoughts about it as she lies in the hospital?
Essay Topic 2
There are several metaphors throughout the book, Electric Michelangelo, perhaps one of the most striking is that of Grace and her tattoos. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Define metaphor and symbolism and compare the two using specific examples both from the book and other sources. Which do you feel is more effective? Which seems better at expressing the idea of an abstract concept? Why would you use one over the other--give specific examples.
2. For what do you think Grace's body is a metaphor? Explain using specific examples. Does the metaphor work for you?
3. Write a real or hypothetical situation in your personal experience that includes one or more abstract concepts and then create a metaphor to express that experience. Next, choose a way to use symbolism in the telling of the experience. Which way seems more effective at portraying the experience?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," much narration is devoted to describing Coney Island. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare and contrast Coney Island with Cy's boyhood home, Morecambe.
2. Find all the references to Coney Island and explain the relation of this setting to two of the major themes of the book.
3. How are Coney Island and the mystique of tattoos compatible? Not compatible?
This section contains 1,391 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)