Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first touch between Cy and Grace like?
2. What does the missing guard report when Henry finds him?
3. What does Jonesy think is keeping the ladies away from Cy?
4. What does a voice advise a soldier to do while he is getting a tattoo?
5. With what is Claudia obsessed?
In part 1, it is revealed that Reeda Parks nurses dying TB patients and also assists her friend in performing abortions. This dual occupation could be considered ironic for several reasons. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Define the concept of irony.
2. Why could Reeda's two occupations be considered ironic? Use examples and detail in your explanation.
3. There are a number of ironic instances in the story. Go through the text and find several instances of ironic thoughts, statements, or events and explain the situation and why you believe it to be ironic.
Grace is probably the most complex character in the book. Most readers might even say that they don't ever fully understand her or her motives. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. What is it about Grace that intimidates the soldiers in Cy's shop in Part 2, "The Lady of Many Eyes"?
2. Besides being intimidated, the soldiers are also sexually attracted to Grace. Why do you think that is true? Or do you? Which emotion of the soldiers seems stronger--fear or attraction? Is there something about their fear that actually intensifies their attraction?
3. The soldiers imply that Grace's sanity is questionable. What do you think? Is the way she treats the soldiers sane? Why or why not?
4. What do you think is the significance of Grace's action when she confronts the soldiers and licks her thumb and touches the soldier's cheek?
As the novel opens and then moves along to its conclusion, some characters seem to change more and some seem to stay the same. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare the character of Cy from who he seems to be during the first half of the book to the person he seems to be in the latter half. How is he alike? How different? Which "person" do you like the best? Why? How is Cy more alike and more different from Riley at the end then at the beginning?
2. Compare the character of Grace from who she seems when she is first introduced to how she seems after her hospital stay. How is she the same? How different? Which "person" do you like the best? Why? Has she changed more or less than Cy in the course of the novel?
3. Compare and contrast Riley, Claudia, and Reeda from who they seem to be when they are first introduced to who they are revealed to be by the end of the story. How much do they change or become who they really are? Or do they change? Who did you like at first and then dislike by the end of the story--and vice versa?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)