|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a tattooist's paradise and can easily accommodate more artists?
2. Why do the police close Sedak's file?
3. What happens on Cy's 65th birthday?
4. How does Grace reassure Cy about her body?
5. What seems preordained in Cy's way of thinking?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cy feel about tattooing?
2. Do you think Sedak deserves what they do to him?
3. What does Cy think about Coney Island and how do you interpret that?
4. Why do you think Cy returns to Pedder Street in Morecambe?
5. How are tattooists looked at in Coney Island?
6. How does Cy first meet Grace?
7. What does Grace want from Cy and why do you think she wants it?
8. How does Cy compare Coney Island to Morecambe?
9. How had Grace come to be known by some many so that perhaps Sedak knows of her and judges her?
10. What is the story Henry gives about what happens at the asylum and do the police believe him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grace is probably the most complex character in the book. Most readers might even say that they don't ever fully understand her or her motives. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. What is it about Grace that intimidates the soldiers in Cy's shop in Part 2, "The Lady of Many Eyes"?
2. Besides being intimidated, the soldiers are also sexually attracted to Grace. Why do you think that is true? Or do you? Which emotion of the soldiers seems stronger--fear or attraction? Is there something about their fear that actually intensifies their attraction?
3. The soldiers imply that Grace's sanity is questionable. What do you think? Is the way she treats the soldiers sane? Why or why not?
4. What do you think is the significance of Grace's action when she confronts the soldiers and licks her thumb and touches the soldier's cheek?
Essay Topic 2
This book is as much about ideas as action/events, if not more so. Choose one of the following ideas and write a persuasive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Tattooing is as valid an art form as any seen in an art museum. (An idea woven throughout the entire book).
2. Horror, sin, evil and lunacy is truth on a par with the love of God and beatific goodness. (An idea found in Part 1, "The Kaiser and the Queen of Morecambe.")
3. America requires voyeurism in every attraction, because it substitutes emotion for thought. (An idea found in Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn.")
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, "History's Ink," Malcolm Sedak pours acid upon Grace. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text, your research or personal experience:
1. What foreshadowing is there to warn the readers of the scene at the opening to "History's Ink" when Grace is horribly attacked? Give examples and why you think the examples foreshadow the event. Do you think something as intense as this scene needs to be foreshadowed? Why or why not?
2. Discuss the various responses to the attack. Was Claudia justified in beating Sedak? How about Henry giving Grace morphine or Cy believing he has to stay in the hospital or Grace will die? What do you think was Grace's thoughts about it as she lies in the hospital?
This section contains 1,769 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)