|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cy do when he visits Maximus?
2. How can Cy draw mermaids?
3. What does a voice advise a soldier to do while he is getting a tattoo?
4. After hearing Grace talk, what does Cy wonder about her?
5. What does Claudia do to Grace's assailant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the sexual images Cy has of mermaids?
2. Why does tattooing survive change?
3. Why does Cy not knock on apartment number 104, though it draws him?
4. What gives a possible hint to a terrible secret in Grace's past?
5. When Grace is out of the hospital and visits Cy, how is her body described and how does Cy respond?
6. What are Sedak's motives in attacking Grace?
7. How does Cy feel about tattooing?
8. How does Claudia become to have so many tattoos and to what does that lead Artura and Claudia?
9. Describe the last image in the book and what you think is its meaning.
10. What does Grace want from Cy and why do you think she wants it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 2, "Babylon in Brooklyn," Cy meets Artura and Claudia Overas.
1. Compare and contrast Cy and Artura.
2. Compare and contrast Grace and Claudia.
3. Why do you think Claudia has a larger role in the novel than Artura, who is after all, a tattoo artist like Cy and it is a book predominantly about tattoos?
Essay Topic 2
As the novel opens and then moves along to its conclusion, some characters seem to change more and some seem to stay the same. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare the character of Cy from who he seems to be during the first half of the book to the person he seems to be in the latter half. How is he alike? How different? Which "person" do you like the best? Why? How is Cy more alike and more different from Riley at the end then at the beginning?
2. Compare the character of Grace from who she seems when she is first introduced to how she seems after her hospital stay. How is she the same? How different? Which "person" do you like the best? Why? Has she changed more or less than Cy in the course of the novel?
3. Compare and contrast Riley, Claudia, and Reeda from who they seem to be when they are first introduced to who they are revealed to be by the end of the story. How much do they change or become who they really are? Or do they change? Who did you like at first and then dislike by the end of the story--and vice versa?
Essay Topic 3
In part 1, it is revealed that Reeda Parks nurses dying TB patients and also assists her friend in performing abortions. This dual occupation could be considered ironic for several reasons. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Define the concept of irony.
2. Why could Reeda's two occupations be considered ironic? Use examples and detail in your explanation.
3. There are a number of ironic instances in the story. Go through the text and find several instances of ironic thoughts, statements, or events and explain the situation and why you believe it to be ironic.
This section contains 1,535 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)