|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grace's paper show?
2. What is Grace's attacker's plan?
3. Who is going to care for Maximus?
4. Who had left the back door unlocked?
5. Where does Cy go after he is thrown out of the hospital?
Essay Topic 1
In part 1, it is revealed that Reeda Parks nurses dying TB patients and also assists her friend in performing abortions. This dual occupation could be considered ironic for several reasons. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Define the concept of irony.
2. Why could Reeda's two occupations be considered ironic? Use examples and detail in your explanation.
3. There are a number of ironic instances in the story. Go through the text and find several instances of ironic thoughts, statements, or events and explain the situation and why you believe it to be ironic.
Essay Topic 2
In part one, "Bloodlights," there is imagery surrounding the color red and blood; the basins of red expectorant; the blood from abortions; the red of the Aurora Borealis lights. Since even in this chapter most readers know that the story is about a tattoo artist, red seems to be a compelling color to wrap around the novel. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Follow the images of blood and the color red that occurs throughout the novel and interpret the individual images and then write an analysis of the symbolic meaning of the color red and blood.
2. Write an essay on the use of symbols in this book. Choose three symbols that seem important and discuss their significance and meaning, using specific examples. How does the use of the symbols enhance your understanding of textual meaning? Or does it? How would the text change if the symbols were not used?
3. Write an essay on the use of symbols in our everyday life. Choose several symbols that seem universal to American culture and discuss their significance and meaning. Why are symbols used? Are they a sort of shorthand to express concepts? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, "The Lady of Many Eyes," there is a description of the baby incubation exhibition. Answer the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. What is the baby incubation exhibition? Could something like that exist except in fiction?
2. How is the baby incubation exhibition related thematically to the rest of the book?
3. Why does Claudia go there week after week? Do you think there would ever come a time when she would stop? When? Why would she stop going there?
4. Why do you think Claudia will allow Grace to lead her away from the baby incubation exhibition? What does this say about the friendship between the two?
5. Would you ever want to go to a baby incubation exhibition? Why or why not?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)