|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cy not really understand?
(a) That his mother and Muriel perform abortions.
(b) That his mother does tattoos.
(c) That electricity is dangerous.
(d) That he is going to a boarding school.
2. What confuses Cy?
(a) Why he is not attending school.
(b) Why his mother cries for strangers.
(c) Watching his mother care for sobbing women who visit in the middle of the night.
(d) Where is father is.
3. What do people know?
(a) There are two freehanders working inside as unequal partners.
(b) Cy is much better than Riley.
(c) Cy is as good as Riley.
(d) Cy is almost better than Riley.
4. What does Riley accomplish in a year?
(a) Creates a whole book of designs.
(b) Wills himself to death by alcohol, depression and starvation.
(c) Changes his studio decorations.
(d) Teaches Cy the rest of what Riley knows.
5. What amazes Cy?
(a) That Riley hums hymns while he works.
(b) That Riley seldoms is aroused by his naked female clients.
(c) That someone so flaccid and bawdy can be so intricate and precise in his line work.
(d) That Riley can be drunk and create magnificent tattoos.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what does the town council frown?
2. Where do the summer crowds gather?
3. Who is Colin Willacy?
4. How old is Cy when the book opens?
5. Why does Cy climb a building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What upsets the town council and what is Reeda's response?
2. Describe Cy's first encounter with Riley.
3. Describe Cy's first interest in a girl and why it is disappointing.
4. What experience causes Cy to no longer be able to sleep under tight blankets?
5. What marks Cy's transition from boyhood to manhood?
6. What is the effect of alcohol on Riley?
7. How does the topic of sex give Cy some not-so-great memories?
8. How does Riley come to offer Cy an apprenticeship and what is Cy's response?
9. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
10. What indication is there that "times are changing" even in a small town such as Morecambe? Why do you think this is so?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)