|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Riley say that Cy needs to comfort customers?
(a) Because they are as much a psychiatrist as artists.
(b) Because customers come there for more than one reason.
(c) Because it makes the needles hurt less.
(d) Because some change their minds and flee.
2. Why do women trust Riley?
(a) He is homosexual.
(b) His equipment is sterile and his hard-drinking habits do not enter his studio.
(c) He is a eunuch.
(d) He greatly respects women.
3. Of what is Riley protective?
(a) His privacy.
(b) His tools.
(c) His pictures.
(d) His self-proclaimed genius.
4. Where is Cy's father?
(a) He is at war in Germany.
(b) He is at work at the docks.
(c) He was lost years ago at sea.
(d) He is in America working to bring them over.
5. With whom does Cy fall in love?
(a) Eva Brennan.
(b) Essie Jones.
(c) Eva von Braun.
(d) Estelle Baker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cy, Jonty and Morris seek?
2. What is a key to the customer's personality?
3. What does Riley offer Cy?
4. About what is Riley a stickler?
5. What is a distinct favorite of Cy and his friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the effect of alcohol on Riley?
2. With what does the young Cy struggle?
3. Describe Riley's death and Cy's response.
4. What does Jonty say about Riley; is it likely to be true?
5. What convinces Cy that the first part of his life has ended?
6. What indication is there that "times are changing" even in a small town such as Morecambe? Why do you think this is so?
7. What upsets the town council and what is Reeda's response?
8. How do Riley's and Cy's styles differ when starting a job on a client?
9. What experience causes Cy to no longer be able to sleep under tight blankets?
10. How does Cy's apprenticeship fare and what is an important lesson Cy learns?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)