|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is different about Cy's mom from Cy?
(a) She had a loving, normal home, but Cy is raised in a boarding house of sick people.
(b) She speaks ten languages and Cy only one.
(c) She is a Russian, whereas Cy is born in Italy.
(d) Reeda Parks can see beyond the horror of the sick people in ways her son cannot.
2. What is one form of amusement Cy enjoys?
(a) Weekly piddling competitions on the beach.
(b) Wrestling with Monty's sister.
(c) Riding bareback on a circus horse.
(d) Riding his bike inside school hallways.
3. What happens when Cy breaks the glass?
(a) A man with intense blue eyes grabs him.
(b) He falls into the building.
(c) He falls to the ground.
(d) He cuts his arm badly.
4. What does Riley admire about Cy?
(a) His imagination and dexterity.
(b) His reticence.
(c) His mother.
(d) His intelligence.
5. What has Cy forgotten?
(a) What song his mother used to sing.
(b) Exactly how his mother's face looked.
(c) How his grandfather used to buy him ice cream when he came visiting.
(d) Why his father went to sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cy's mother say about the sun's light?
2. Why does Cy climb a building?
3. What does Cy not really understand?
4. When Cy arrives home eyes glazed and gait obstructed, what does Reeda assume?
5. What does Cy observe in other people's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jonty say about Riley; is it likely to be true?
2. How does Cy slip into starting to tattoo instead of just watching Riley and what is Riley's response?
3. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
4. How does Cy's afternoon employment foreshadow his future work?
5. What does Cy recall as he studies cloud formations and what might this foreshadow?
6. How does the topic of sex give Cy some not-so-great memories?
7. How does Riley explain the colors used in tattooing?
8. There are many instances of foreshadowing in this opening section. Name one and venture a guess as to what it could foreshadow.
9. What indication is there that "times are changing" even in a small town such as Morecambe? Why do you think this is so?
10. How does Riley come to offer Cy an apprenticeship and what is Cy's response?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)