|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cy's mother say about the sun's light?
(a) That it is brighter when she is brighter.
(b) That it is brightest shining through the mist.
(c) That the sun's light does not go out at night but migrates to Ireland and America.
(d) That it fades into nothing.
2. When Cy arrives home eyes glazed and gait obstructed, what does Reeda assume?
(a) He sprained his ankle.
(b) He is ill.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) He has overeaten.
3. What does Reeda think of Riley?
(a) That he is somewhat crazy.
(b) That he is honorable.
(c) That he is a drunkard, a Catholic and maybe a Bolshevik.
(d) That he is dangerous.
4. What does Riley tattoo on Cy's chest?
(a) A skull.
(b) A sailing ship with his dead father's name strung in the rigging.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A ball and chain.
5. What does Cy observe as he is searching for shells?
(a) His neighbor hitting his wife.
(b) Jonty and the girl Cy loves kissing.
(c) A boat in the harbor go up in flames.
(d) A plane plunge into the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Cy breaks the glass?
2. For what does Cy use the last of Reeda's money?
3. What does Cy think Riley may have done while being attacked?
4. With what does Cy decide he needs help?
5. What has Cy learned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What indication is there that "times are changing" even in a small town such as Morecambe? Why do you think this is so?
2. Why do many women come to Riley's tattoo parlor?
3. What do you think is a boggart and how is it used?
4. How does Cy slip into starting to tattoo instead of just watching Riley and what is Riley's response?
5. Describe Cy's first encounter with Riley.
6. Describe Riley's death and Cy's response.
7. How does Riley come to offer Cy an apprenticeship and what is Cy's response?
8. How does Reeda die and how does this affect Cy?
9. With what does the young Cy struggle?
10. Describe the type of clients that are often drawn to Riley's tattoo parlor.
This section contains 1,339 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)