|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do women trust Riley?
(a) He is a eunuch.
(b) His equipment is sterile and his hard-drinking habits do not enter his studio.
(c) He greatly respects women.
(d) He is homosexual.
2. Why is Riley offering Cy an apprenticeship?
(a) Because he thinks Cy will turn out to be no good otherwise.
(b) Because he is in love with Cy's mother.
(c) To pass on his artisanship and genius to someone before he dies.
(d) Because he knew Cy's father.
3. What does Cy begin to do?
(a) Create a name for himself.
(b) Draw a book of designs.
(c) Have sex with some of the willing customers.
(d) Tattoo some of Riley's customers.
4. What do people know?
(a) Cy is as good as Riley.
(b) Cy is much better than Riley.
(c) There are two freehanders working inside as unequal partners.
(d) Cy is almost better than Riley.
5. What does Riley come to understand while at sea?
(a) That Riley understood the psychological rationale of tattooing.
(b) Tattooing is a siren song and the music of the spheres, impossible to resist or explain.
(c) His father was right about the ocean.
(d) His grandfather had been right to keep his mother from following his father to sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Riley protective?
2. Where does Riley want to be buried?
3. Why do the town council's junctions bother Reeda?
4. With whom does Cy fall in love?
5. How does Cy respond to what he sees in the basin?
Short Essay Questions
1. There are many instances of foreshadowing in this opening section. Name one and venture a guess as to what it could foreshadow.
2. How does the topic of sex give Cy some not-so-great memories?
3. Why do many women come to Riley's tattoo parlor?
4. Describe Riley's death and Cy's response.
5. What do you think is a boggart and how is it used?
6. How does Cy's apprenticeship fare and what is an important lesson Cy learns?
7. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
8. Describe Cy's first interest in a girl and why it is disappointing.
9. What is the effect of alcohol on Riley?
10. What does Cy recall as he studies cloud formations and what might this foreshadow?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)