|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cy's mother say about the sun's light?
(a) That the sun's light does not go out at night but migrates to Ireland and America.
(b) That it is brighter when she is brighter.
(c) That it is brightest shining through the mist.
(d) That it fades into nothing.
2. What is an accurate description of the Ladies of Leeds?
(a) Lovely airheads.
(b) Hard-faced, bad-mouthed women.
(c) Ugly spinsters.
(d) Kind, well-dressed, close-knit.
3. What confuses Cy?
(a) Why his mother cries for strangers.
(b) Why he is not attending school.
(c) Where is father is.
(d) Watching his mother care for sobbing women who visit in the middle of the night.
4. Where is Cy's father?
(a) He is at war in Germany.
(b) He is in America working to bring them over.
(c) He is at work at the docks.
(d) He was lost years ago at sea.
5. How old is Cy when the book opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. For what do the boys use Muriel's equipment?
2. What do tattoos eventually become?
3. What happens to Riley at Moffat Revine?
4. Who does not feel like maggots in an infected carcass, as they are regarded in the nicer end of town?
5. What's the only way Riley would consider himself a father figure to Cy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first few days that Cy spends at the hospital.
2. Describe Cy's first encounter with Riley.
3. Describe Cy's first interest in a girl and why it is disappointing.
4. Describe the last image in the book and what you think is its meaning.
5. How does Cy compare Coney Island to Morecambe?
6. Do you think Sedak deserves what they do to him?
7. How does Cy first meet Grace?
8. Describe Riley's death and Cy's response.
9. What indication is there that "times are changing" even in a small town such as Morecambe? Why do you think this is so?
10. How does Claudia become to have so many tattoos and to what does that lead Artura and Claudia?
This section contains 1,375 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)