|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does not feel like maggots in an infected carcass, as they are regarded in the nicer end of town?
(a) Jonty and Cy.
(b) Visitors to Riley's tattoo parlour.
2. What does Riley admire about Cy?
(a) His imagination and dexterity.
(b) His intelligence.
(c) His mother.
(d) His reticence.
3. Who are Jonty Preston and Morris Gibbs?
(a) Cy's two step brothers.
(b) Cy's two uncles.
(c) Two bullies who regularly beat up Cy.
(d) Cy's two best friends.
4. Who does Cy recognize?
(a) A woman who used to live at the boarding house.
(b) Reeba's helper.
(c) A man down the street as the thief who stole his bike.
(d) A policeman who accepts bribes from his mother.
5. What does Cy realize about life?
(a) That it is always wonderful.
(b) That it can be messy and cruel.
(c) That it is never wonderful.
(d) That he is old enough to understand the vagaries of life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does fine-line hatching do?
2. Who is Muriel?
3. What does Cy observe as he is searching for shells?
4. What convinces Cy that the first part of his life is ended?
5. What can Riley accept?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cy recall as he studies cloud formations and what might this foreshadow?
2. Describe Cy's first encounter with Riley.
3. How does Riley come to offer Cy an apprenticeship and what is Cy's response?
4. What major theme is touched upon in this chapter and how is it expressed here?
5. How does Riley explain the colors used in tattooing?
6. What indication is there that "times are changing" even in a small town such as Morecambe? Why do you think this is so?
7. How do Riley's and Cy's styles differ when starting a job on a client?
8. How does Cy slip into starting to tattoo instead of just watching Riley and what is Riley's response?
9. Describe the type of clients that are often drawn to Riley's tattoo parlor.
10. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)