|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Cy arrives home eyes glazed and gait obstructed, what does Reeda assume?
(a) He sprained his ankle.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He is ill.
(d) He has overeaten.
2. For what does Cy use the last of Reeda's money?
(a) To buy a third-class ticket to America.
(b) To send Riley's body to Russia.
(c) To refurbish his tattoo parlour.
(d) A sea coffin for Riley.
3. At what does Cy marvel?
(a) The way the colors glow on women.
(b) Women's endurance and unpredictability.
(c) The way a woman's breast moves a tattoo.
(d) The intricate designs Riley tattoos.
4. What does Cy discover on Riley's body?
(a) Fitting verses tattooed on Riley's right sole.
(b) A tattoo for every year of Riley's life.
(c) A tribute tattooed to Reeda.
(d) No tattoos.
5. Who is Colin Willacy?
(a) Cy's uncle.
(b) Cy's grandfather.
(c) The headmaster at Cy's school.
(d) Cy's mother's lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an accurate description of the Ladies of Leeds?
2. About what is Riley a stickler?
3. For what do the boys use Muriel's equipment?
4. What regularly claims victims among children and tourists?
5. Why do women trust Riley?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does sex figure into Riley's tattoo business?
2. Describe Cy's first interest in a girl and why it is disappointing.
3. With what does the young Cy struggle?
4. How does Cy's afternoon employment foreshadow his future work?
5. Describe Cy's first encounter with Riley.
6. How does Riley explain the colors used in tattooing?
7. How does Cy's mother Reeda respond to his possible apprenticeship with Riley?
8. How does Riley come to offer Cy an apprenticeship and what is Cy's response?
9. What indication is there that "times are changing" even in a small town such as Morecambe? Why do you think this is so?
10. What convinces Cy that the first part of his life has ended?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)