|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What amazes Cy?
(a) That Riley hums hymns while he works.
(b) That someone so flaccid and bawdy can be so intricate and precise in his line work.
(c) That Riley seldoms is aroused by his naked female clients.
(d) That Riley can be drunk and create magnificent tattoos.
2. Why does Cy climb a building?
(a) To race ahead off the crowd across the rooftops.
(b) To see the burning better.
(c) To hack the villain loose from a flagpole.
(d) To find his mother in the crowd.
3. What does Reeda admit to Cy?
(a) That she is performing abortions.
(b) That she was once married to Mr. Riley.
(c) That she knows Riley.
(d) That Cy is not her biological son.
4. What does Cy observe in other people's eyes?
(a) A hunger for simpler times.
(b) A anger at the war's toll.
(c) A despondency.
(d) A strange new glow as they find ways to work through pain.
5. What does Cy share with his mother?
(a) Nothing; he does not really talk to her much anymore.
(b) His wages.
(c) A worry he has about his father.
(d) A secret about Jonty.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what do the boys use Muriel's equipment?
2. How does Jonty describe Mr. Riley?
3. Where does Cy work?
4. From what do most of the boarders at Cy's home suffer?
5. Why is Riley offering Cy an apprenticeship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cy's first interest in a girl and why it is disappointing.
2. Describe the type of clients that are often drawn to Riley's tattoo parlor.
3. How does Riley explain the colors used in tattooing?
4. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
5. What marks Cy's transition from boyhood to manhood?
6. How does Cy's afternoon employment foreshadow his future work?
7. How does Reeda die and how does this affect Cy?
8. Why do many women come to Riley's tattoo parlor?
9. How does the topic of sex give Cy some not-so-great memories?
10. What convinces Cy that the first part of his life has ended?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)