|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who slices the rope?
(a) His friends.
(b) A policeman.
(c) A woman with a machete.
(d) An angry looking man.
2. Where is Cy's father?
(a) He was lost years ago at sea.
(b) He is in America working to bring them over.
(c) He is at work at the docks.
(d) He is at war in Germany.
3. What does Cy hear through the window of the building he climbs?
(a) A scream.
(c) Mechanical bee sounds and voices.
4. What does Cy begin to do?
(a) Have sex with some of the willing customers.
(b) Draw a book of designs.
(c) Tattoo some of Riley's customers.
(d) Create a name for himself.
5. How does Morecambe celebrate the coming armistice?
(a) By closing school for the day.
(b) With a carnival.
(c) With a prayer meeting.
(d) By fireworks.
Short Answer Questions
1. About whom does Riley lecture Cy?
2. What does Cy realize about life?
3. What has Cy learned?
4. Where do Cy and his friends go to watch an effigy of "Kaiser Bill" burn?
5. What has Cy forgotten?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cy slip into starting to tattoo instead of just watching Riley and what is Riley's response?
2. What experience causes Cy to no longer be able to sleep under tight blankets?
3. Describe Cy's first encounter with Riley.
4. How does Reeda die and how does this affect Cy?
5. What do you think is a boggart and how is it used?
6. How does Cy's afternoon employment foreshadow his future work?
7. Describe the type of clients that are often drawn to Riley's tattoo parlor.
8. With what does the young Cy struggle?
9. What are some of the contrasting images seen in the very beginning of this book?
10. What indication is there that "times are changing" even in a small town such as Morecambe? Why do you think this is so?
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)