|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Riley offer Cy?
(a) A message for his mother.
(b) A few dollars a week to help him.
(c) A truce.
(d) An apprenticeship.
2. What does Reeda think of Riley?
(a) That he is honorable.
(b) That he is dangerous.
(c) That he is somewhat crazy.
(d) That he is a drunkard, a Catholic and maybe a Bolshevik.
3. Who does Cy recognize?
(a) A policeman who accepts bribes from his mother.
(b) A man down the street as the thief who stole his bike.
(c) A woman who used to live at the boarding house.
(d) Reeba's helper.
4. How does Morecambe celebrate the coming armistice?
(a) By fireworks.
(b) With a carnival.
(c) With a prayer meeting.
(d) By closing school for the day.
5. How does Cy's routine begin?
(a) By outlining in pencil the work area.
(b) By singing a song to himself.
(c) With the question, "Ready?"
(d) By tapping three times on the table for luck.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cy respond to what he sees in the basin?
2. What convinces Cy that the first part of his life is ended?
3. What's the only way Riley would consider himself a father figure to Cy?
4. What happens when Cy breaks the glass?
5. What does Cy observe as he is searching for shells?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
2. How does sex figure into Riley's tattoo business?
3. Describe Cy's first interest in a girl and why it is disappointing.
4. How does Riley come to offer Cy an apprenticeship and what is Cy's response?
5. What major theme is touched upon in this chapter and how is it expressed here?
6. What indication is there that "times are changing" even in a small town such as Morecambe? Why do you think this is so?
7. What convinces Cy that the first part of his life has ended?
8. What experience causes Cy to no longer be able to sleep under tight blankets?
9. There are many instances of foreshadowing in this opening section. Name one and venture a guess as to what it could foreshadow.
10. What does Cy recall as he studies cloud formations and what might this foreshadow?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)