|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is different about Cy's mom from Cy?
(a) She is a Russian, whereas Cy is born in Italy.
(b) She had a loving, normal home, but Cy is raised in a boarding house of sick people.
(c) Reeda Parks can see beyond the horror of the sick people in ways her son cannot.
(d) She speaks ten languages and Cy only one.
2. When Cy arrives home eyes glazed and gait obstructed, what does Reeda assume?
(a) He has overeaten.
(b) He sprained his ankle.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) He is ill.
3. What is an accurate description of the Ladies of Leeds?
(a) Lovely airheads.
(b) Ugly spinsters.
(c) Kind, well-dressed, close-knit.
(d) Hard-faced, bad-mouthed women.
4. What does a young man working in the parlor of the greatest tattooist in Northern England who is nowhere to be found suggest?
(b) Laziness on Riley's part.
5. From what does Cy avert his eyes?
(a) From sick people coughing into basins.
(b) From the neighbor's wife who is always naked.
(c) From the ice cream peddler down the street.
(d) From his father's ash urn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Colin Willacy?
2. What's the only way Riley would consider himself a father figure to Cy?
3. What does Cy observe as he is searching for shells?
4. Why does Riley say that Cy needs to comfort customers?
5. Where do Cy and his friends go to watch an effigy of "Kaiser Bill" burn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Riley's and Cy's styles differ when starting a job on a client?
2. Describe Cy's first interest in a girl and why it is disappointing.
3. What do you think is a boggart and how is it used?
4. Describe Cy's first encounter with Riley.
5. How does Cy's apprenticeship fare and what is an important lesson Cy learns?
6. How does sex figure into Riley's tattoo business?
7. What convinces Cy that the first part of his life has ended?
8. There are many instances of foreshadowing in this opening section. Name one and venture a guess as to what it could foreshadow.
9. What does Jonty say about Riley; is it likely to be true?
10. How does Cy's afternoon employment foreshadow his future work?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)