|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Cy breaks the glass?
(a) He falls into the building.
(b) He falls to the ground.
(c) He cuts his arm badly.
(d) A man with intense blue eyes grabs him.
2. What is an accurate description of the Ladies of Leeds?
(a) Hard-faced, bad-mouthed women.
(b) Ugly spinsters.
(c) Lovely airheads.
(d) Kind, well-dressed, close-knit.
3. What has Cy learned?
(a) To sing to keep the women happy.
(b) To size up a skin type by feeling with his eyes closed.
(c) To tattoo without using a drawing.
(d) to fight, evict brawlers, negotiate and be enjoyed by women in the back room.
4. Where does Riley want to be buried?
(a) He wants to be cremated.
(b) At sea.
(c) In his homeland of Russia.
(d) At the hillside cemetary.
5. What regularly claims victims among children and tourists?
(a) The strange riptides.
(b) Morecambe's quicksand pools.
(c) The strange illnesses brought in through the port.
(d) The local pickpocket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a young man working in the parlor of the greatest tattooist in Northern England who is nowhere to be found suggest?
2. About what is Riley a stickler?
3. What is Riley's tenth commandment?
4. Why is Riley offering Cy an apprenticeship?
5. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cy's first encounter with Riley.
2. Describe the type of clients that are often drawn to Riley's tattoo parlor.
3. How does Riley come to offer Cy an apprenticeship and what is Cy's response?
4. What experience causes Cy to no longer be able to sleep under tight blankets?
5. Describe Cy's first interest in a girl and why it is disappointing.
6. There are many instances of foreshadowing in this opening section. Name one and venture a guess as to what it could foreshadow.
7. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
8. What major theme is touched upon in this chapter and how is it expressed here?
9. How does Cy's afternoon employment foreshadow his future work?
10. What are some of the contrasting images seen in the very beginning of this book?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)