|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who slices the rope?
(a) A policeman.
(b) An angry looking man.
(c) A woman with a machete.
(d) His friends.
2. What is one form of amusement Cy enjoys?
(a) Weekly piddling competitions on the beach.
(b) Riding bareback on a circus horse.
(c) Riding his bike inside school hallways.
(d) Wrestling with Monty's sister.
3. What convinces Cy that the first part of his life is ended?
(a) When his mother dies.
(b) When Cy falls in love.
(c) When Aurora Borealis, the "northern bloodlights," appear over the town.
(d) When Jonty drowns in the tide.
4. What has Cy learned?
(a) To tattoo without using a drawing.
(b) To sing to keep the women happy.
(c) to fight, evict brawlers, negotiate and be enjoyed by women in the back room.
(d) To size up a skin type by feeling with his eyes closed.
5. For what do the boys use Muriel's equipment?
(a) To experience a splendid rush of energy.
(b) To check their heartbeats.
(c) To watch the ships in the harbor.
(d) To jolt each other in the arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cy observe as he is searching for shells?
2. Upon what does the town council frown?
3. Where does Riley take Cy for his first visit to a pub?
4. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
5. What does Cy observe in other people's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what does the young Cy struggle?
2. How does Cy slip into starting to tattoo instead of just watching Riley and what is Riley's response?
3. What major theme is touched upon in this chapter and how is it expressed here?
4. What is the effect of alcohol on Riley?
5. How does Cy's afternoon employment foreshadow his future work?
6. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
7. How does sex figure into Riley's tattoo business?
8. How does Riley explain the colors used in tattooing?
9. Why do many women come to Riley's tattoo parlor?
10. How does the topic of sex give Cy some not-so-great memories?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)