|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an accurate description of the Ladies of Leeds?
(a) Hard-faced, bad-mouthed women.
(b) Kind, well-dressed, close-knit.
(c) Ugly spinsters.
(d) Lovely airheads.
2. Why is Riley offering Cy an apprenticeship?
(a) Because he thinks Cy will turn out to be no good otherwise.
(b) Because he is in love with Cy's mother.
(c) Because he knew Cy's father.
(d) To pass on his artisanship and genius to someone before he dies.
3. What does Cy like around him?
(a) Lots of food.
(b) Pretty girls.
(c) Art supplies.
(d) His favorite pictures.
4. What can Riley not bear to inscribe on Cy?
(a) Reeda's name.
(b) The word death.
(c) The name of Cy's lover.
(d) Any religious symbols.
5. What is different about Cy's mom from Cy?
(a) She had a loving, normal home, but Cy is raised in a boarding house of sick people.
(b) Reeda Parks can see beyond the horror of the sick people in ways her son cannot.
(c) She speaks ten languages and Cy only one.
(d) She is a Russian, whereas Cy is born in Italy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cy work?
2. What does Cy's mother say about the sun's light?
3. What do the Ladies of Leeds do?
4. For what does Cy use the last of Reeda's money?
5. What does Cy not really understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do many women come to Riley's tattoo parlor?
2. What indication is there that "times are changing" even in a small town such as Morecambe? Why do you think this is so?
3. What is the effect of alcohol on Riley?
4. How does sex figure into Riley's tattoo business?
5. What are some of the contrasting images seen in the very beginning of this book?
6. With what does the young Cy struggle?
7. How does Cy's apprenticeship fare and what is an important lesson Cy learns?
8. What upsets the town council and what is Reeda's response?
9. What major theme is touched upon in this chapter and how is it expressed here?
10. How do Riley's and Cy's styles differ when starting a job on a client?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)