|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Riley die?
(a) Is murdered by the man who smashes his fingers.
(b) Hangs himself.
(c) Slips and cracks his head and drowns in the bay.
(d) Suicide by drinking bleach.
2. Why does Riley say that Cy needs to comfort customers?
(a) Because they are as much a psychiatrist as artists.
(b) Because it makes the needles hurt less.
(c) Because customers come there for more than one reason.
(d) Because some change their minds and flee.
3. What do the Ladies of Leeds do?
(a) Circus performers.
(b) They are nuns and they pray for the ill at Cy's home.
(c) Join Reeda in collecting meager alms and votes.
4. What does Cy's mother say about the sun's light?
(a) That it fades into nothing.
(b) That it is brightest shining through the mist.
(c) That it is brighter when she is brighter.
(d) That the sun's light does not go out at night but migrates to Ireland and America.
5. What is an accurate description of the Ladies of Leeds?
(a) Ugly spinsters.
(b) Hard-faced, bad-mouthed women.
(c) Lovely airheads.
(d) Kind, well-dressed, close-knit.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Cy fall in love?
2. What is a distinct favorite of Cy and his friends?
3. Who does Cy recognize?
4. How do women's tattoos differ from men's?
5. What is the most important thing to remember about the man in question #61?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the type of clients that are often drawn to Riley's tattoo parlor.
2. What upsets the town council and what is Reeda's response?
3. What is the effect of alcohol on Riley?
4. How does sex figure into Riley's tattoo business?
5. How does Cy's mother Reeda respond to his possible apprenticeship with Riley?
6. Why do many women come to Riley's tattoo parlor?
7. What marks Cy's transition from boyhood to manhood?
8. Describe Cy's first encounter with Riley.
9. What does Jonty say about Riley; is it likely to be true?
10. What does Cy recall as he studies cloud formations and what might this foreshadow?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)