|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what is Grace hypnotized?
(a) The murmer of Cy as he reassures his client.
(b) The sound of the waves rolling on the beach.
(c) The sound of the mechanical embroidery.
(d) The sound of Cy humming a hymn.
2. Who owns the Varga Oyster Bar?
(a) Siamese-twins Mary and Valerie.
(b) Henry Beausang.
(c) Den Jones.
(d) Arturas and Claudia Overas.
3. When does Cy meet Arturas and Claudia Overas?
(a) When he rents his apartment.
(b) When he almost gets hit by a taxi.
(c) When buying his first batch of ink.
(d) When he hangs out his sign on his shop.
4. What does Jonesy think is keeping the ladies away from Cy?
(a) His gruff manner.
(b) His lack of nice clothes.
(c) Cy's throwback to the 19th-century look is keeping the ladies away.
(d) His rough handling of them.
5. Who takes Cy's tattoo equipment?
(a) The mafia.
(b) A Latino gang.
(c) Three ruffians.
(d) The cops.
6. What drawing does Cy search for and find near the end of the book?
(a) An ancient eye.
(b) A flying horse.
(c) His first mermaid.
(d) A woman on a dancing horse.
7. Of what does Cy ask confirmation from Grace?
(a) That she will exchange sex for tattoos.
(b) That she wants a full-body tattoo.
(c) That she can afford a tattoo.
(d) That her horse will not have to come inside the parlor.
8. Of whom does the tall nurse who sends Cy home remind Cy?
9. What happens on Cy's 65th birthday?
(a) He dies.
(b) He decides to quit tattooing since it isn't popular anymore.
(c) Nina Shearer waltzes into his shop.
(d) He returns to America.
10. What is the first touch between Cy and Grace like?
(a) Empty of emotion.
11. With what is Claudia obsessed?
(a) With Coney Island's macabre and tasteless baby incubation exhibition.
(b) With Grace's chess-playing style.
(c) With Grace's will to win.
(d) With Maximus's velvet nose.
12. Where is Cy when "Babylon in Brooklyn" opens?
(a) On Coney Island.
(b) In San Francisco.
(c) In Italy.
(d) In England.
13. Who is going to care for Maximus?
(d) The circus trainer.
14. Why do tattooists stand apart from the tricksters and freaks?
(a) They develop a true rapport with their customers.
(b) They do everything in the open.
(c) They are seen as somehow genuine and timeless.
(d) They have to have a license.
15. Who are Grace and Maximus?
(a) The woman and her horse who live in apartment 104 in Cy's apartment complex.
(b) A man and his wife who own an arcade on Coney Island.
(c) A woman and her horse who Cy knew in his homeland.
(d) A woman and her monkey who live in apartment 104 in Cy's apartment complex.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police find when they go to Cy's tattoo parlor?
2. How does Grace reassure Cy about her body?
3. What does life in the Bayview teach Cy?
4. What is a tattooist's paradise and can easily accommodate more artists?
5. Why do the police close Sedak's file?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)