|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Coney Island offer anything repulsive, breathtaking, or monstrously new that people are willing to pay to see?
(a) Because it is consumer driven.
(b) Because it is materialistic.
(c) Because it is Coney Island.
(d) Because it is they only way for misfits to earn a living.
2. What does Jonesy think is keeping the ladies away from Cy?
(a) Cy's throwback to the 19th-century look is keeping the ladies away.
(b) His lack of nice clothes.
(c) His rough handling of them.
(d) His gruff manner.
3. With what does Grace need help?
(a) Applying ointment to her skin.
(b) Applying for disability.
(c) Riding Maximus.
(d) Finding a new apartment.
4. Why does the management of the baby incubation exhibition allow Grace to come in for free?
(a) She has a calming effect on the babies.
(b) She volunteers to help there.
(c) She actually sneaks in.
(d) To coax her friend, Claudia, to leave.
5. Why does Cy stay at the hospital?
(a) He is afraid the assailant will try again.
(b) He believes that if he doesn't stay, Grace will think he doesn't love her.
(c) He believes that if he leaves Grace will die.
(d) He hopes to sneak in to touch Grace.
6. What does Cy see as a tattoo artist?
(a) He understands a person's story changes.
(b) He understands that people want to claim their bodies as their own site on which to tell about themselves.
(c) He sees that all people are grey.
(d) He sees that people are set in their ways as strongly as a tattoo is set in the skin.
7. Why is Claudia obsessed with the baby incubation exhibition?
(a) She likes to sing to the babies.
(b) She has never been pregnant.
(c) She has had six miscarriages.
(d) She thinks it's where angels dwell.
8. Who is Arturas?
(a) An acrobat.
(b) A cart man.
(c) The best tattoo artist in New York.
(d) A stevedore.
9. What happens as Grace lies in the hospital?
(a) Her horse dies.
(b) The assault becomes the talk of Coney Island.
(c) Her assailant is killed by a Coney Island mob.
(d) Her assailant is sentenced to forty years in prison.
10. Where does Cy go after he is thrown out of the hospital?
(a) To check on Maximus.
(b) To the wharf to jump off.
(c) To drink himself into a stupor at Varga's.
(d) To try to find Grace's sister.
11. Why does Cy advise the soldiers to go wash down their arms?
(a) Cy advises them not to wash their arms.
(b) So the blood will not ruin their uniforms.
(c) So he doesn't have to go draw more water from next door.
(d) So no muck will get into their bloodstreams.
12. What is the poor man's illustrator?
(a) Paintings on velvet.
(c) The almanac.
13. What does Coney Island "allow"?
(a) Unsafe rides on the ferris wheel.
(b) Drunks to sleep stretched out across the sidewalk.
(c) Pickpocketing if not much is stolen.
(d) Visitors to act out as they would not at home.
14. Who does Cy watch at Varga's?
(a) The twins having a drinking contest.
(b) A man and woman having a loud argument.
(c) Two men downing snapps and arm wrestling.
(d) Grace playing chess.
15. What is Arturas' moniker?
(c) Black Baron.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bounces off Claudia like hail from an ox's rump?
2. What is in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn?
3. What does Cy think he sees in an apartment below him?
4. What does Cy realize about the skin after the doctor talks to him?
5. Who is Malcolm Sedak?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)