|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Grace say she will find Cy soon?
(a) She is teasing him.
(b) She is too tired for his kiss that night.
(c) She wants to get rid of him at the moment.
(d) She needs his help.
2. How does Claudia describe Grace?
(a) As a mind that consumes all details.
(b) As a person who knows about many things.
(c) As a well that overflows.
(d) As a person who can reside under the skin.
3. What bounces off Claudia like hail from an ox's rump?
(a) Insults about her husband's ugly features.
(b) Praise for her tattoos.
(c) Cruelty about her non-female form.
(d) Sexual innuendos.
4. Of what is Coney Island proof?
(a) That freedom to be eccentric exists.
(b) That the Victorian era cannot conjure out the black Gothic soul or suppress its darker energy.
(c) That human depravity is alive and well.
(d) That the stranger one is the more money one can make.
5. What does Coney Island "allow"?
(a) Visitors to act out as they would not at home.
(b) Pickpocketing if not much is stolen.
(c) Unsafe rides on the ferris wheel.
(d) Drunks to sleep stretched out across the sidewalk.
6. What does Cy offer Nina?
(a) A free tattoo.
(c) A scholarship.
(d) An apprenticeship.
7. With what is Claudia obsessed?
(a) With Grace's chess-playing style.
(b) With Grace's will to win.
(c) With Coney Island's macabre and tasteless baby incubation exhibition.
(d) With Maximus's velvet nose.
8. How has Riley eclipsed Reeda?
(a) As Cy's chief means of reckoning.
(b) In that Cy can still see Riley's face in his mind.
(c) In the little aphorisms Cy remembers of Riley's.
(d) He has not eclipsed Reeda.
9. Why does Cy advise the soldiers to go wash down their arms?
(a) So the blood will not ruin their uniforms.
(b) So no muck will get into their bloodstreams.
(c) So he doesn't have to go draw more water from next door.
(d) Cy advises them not to wash their arms.
10. When does Cy meet Arturas and Claudia Overas?
(a) When he almost gets hit by a taxi.
(b) When he rents his apartment.
(c) When he hangs out his sign on his shop.
(d) When buying his first batch of ink.
11. What is the poor man's illustrator?
(b) The almanac.
(c) Paintings on velvet.
12. What is Grace doing as Cy is finishing with the soldier?
(a) Flirting with the other soldiers.
(b) Combing her hair.
(c) Browsing through a book of flash.
(d) Suggesting appropriate tattoos for each soldier.
13. Who is Malcolm Sedak?
(a) The man who saves Grace from a man who attacks her.
(b) A man who loses one hundred dollars in a chess game to Grace.
(c) The man who burns Grace with acid.
(d) A man who sues Cy for a bad tattoo job.
14. Why do mothers drop off their babies at the incubation exhibition?
(a) They hope the baby will die faster there.
(b) They are hopeful the babies will grow into healthy, hungry, crying beings.
(c) They have to by law.
(d) They cannot care for them at home.
15. What does Cy assume all newcomers to New York feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. By what is Cy riveted?
2. What does life in the Bayview teach Cy?
3. About what do the soldiers clown around with Grace?
4. After hearing Grace talk, what does Cy wonder about her?
5. Who had left the back door unlocked?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)