|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what is Cy riveted?
(a) The idea of working on Grace's body.
(b) The idea of Reeda, Grace and the eye.
(c) The idea of sex with Grace while working on the tattoo.
(d) The thought that Grace was with all those soldiers right now.
2. What is Grace's attacker's plan?
(a) To make Grace forever deformed.
(b) To bring Grace's body back to God's original purity of naked cleanness.
(c) To kill Grace.
(d) To make Grace never play chess again.
3. What is the largest amusement park on earth?
(a) Central Park.
(b) The Brooklyn Boardwalk.
(c) Park Place.
(d) Coney Island.
4. When Cy walks Grace home when he first meets her, what does he think about at the door?
(a) Cy thinks about how much Grace looks like his mother.
(b) Cy wonders why he is always so shy around women outside of his tattoo parlour.
(c) Cy wonders if he should kiss her and whether he is drunk enough to try.
(d) Cy thinks about Riley's way of treating women.
5. What does life in the Bayview teach Cy?
(a) To have a back door for escape.
(b) To learn to look over the bay to predict the weather.
(c) To appreciate good neighbors.
(d) To live without forming relationships with neighbors.
6. What drawing does Cy search for and find near the end of the book?
(a) An ancient eye.
(b) A woman on a dancing horse.
(c) A flying horse.
(d) His first mermaid.
7. Why does America require voyeurism in every attraction?
(a) Because it is a melting pot of cultures.
(b) Because it substitutes emotion for thought.
(c) Because it is a young nation and full of sexual vigor.
(d) Because it puts everything out there for anyone to see.
8. What does Cy do when Grace stands naked before him for the first time since the assault?
(a) Cy holds her in his arms for an hour.
(b) Cy slams his hands down and swears to kill the assailant.
(c) Cy cannot control his horror and weeps uncontrollably.
(d) Cy turns away unable to look at her.
9. What does Grace's paper show?
(a) Grace's face on a mermaid.
(b) A horse rearing.
(c) An unblinking, almost hieroglyphic eye.
(d) A horse bowing its two front legs.
10. By what is Grace hypnotized?
(a) The sound of the mechanical embroidery.
(b) The sound of the waves rolling on the beach.
(c) The murmer of Cy as he reassures his client.
(d) The sound of Cy humming a hymn.
11. Who had left the back door unlocked?
(a) No one; the lock is broken.
(b) The guard.
12. Why do tattooists stand apart from the tricksters and freaks?
(a) They do everything in the open.
(b) They have to have a license.
(c) They are seen as somehow genuine and timeless.
(d) They develop a true rapport with their customers.
13. Why has Cy never married?
(a) He is still waiting for the right woman.
(b) He decides women are too much trouble.
(c) He still loves Grace.
(d) He doesn't know why.
14. Who takes Cy's tattoo equipment?
(a) The cops.
(b) The mafia.
(c) A Latino gang.
(d) Three ruffians.
15. How does Claudia describe Grace?
(a) As a person who knows about many things.
(b) As a person who can reside under the skin.
(c) As a mind that consumes all details.
(d) As a well that overflows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hums perpetually, eliciting screams?
2. What does the city seem to generate?
3. What does Jonesy think is keeping the ladies away from Cy?
4. What does Claudia do to Grace's assailant?
5. Who is Arturas?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)