|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry notice about the service elevator?
(a) It is turned off.
(b) It is held open by a box on the ground floor.
(c) It smells like burning rubber.
(d) It is stuck between floors.
2. By what is Cy riveted?
(a) The idea of Reeda, Grace and the eye.
(b) The idea of working on Grace's body.
(c) The thought that Grace was with all those soldiers right now.
(d) The idea of sex with Grace while working on the tattoo.
3. Where is Cy when "Babylon in Brooklyn" opens?
(a) In Italy.
(b) On Coney Island.
(c) In San Francisco.
(d) In England.
4. Who is Malcolm Sedak?
(a) A man who loses one hundred dollars in a chess game to Grace.
(b) The man who saves Grace from a man who attacks her.
(c) A man who sues Cy for a bad tattoo job.
(d) The man who burns Grace with acid.
5. What does a voice advise a soldier to do while he is getting a tattoo?
(a) To pant.
(b) To think about things that make him fall asleep so he will no longer be in his body.
(c) To focus on making his breathing slow and easy.
(d) To smoke some hash.
6. With what is Claudia obsessed?
(a) With Coney Island's macabre and tasteless baby incubation exhibition.
(b) With Grace's will to win.
(c) With Maximus's velvet nose.
(d) With Grace's chess-playing style.
7. Why does Cy stay at the hospital?
(a) He believes that if he leaves Grace will die.
(b) He hopes to sneak in to touch Grace.
(c) He is afraid the assailant will try again.
(d) He believes that if he doesn't stay, Grace will think he doesn't love her.
8. Where does Cy go despite his vows never to return after Lulu's death?
(a) To Ellis Island.
(b) To uptown Manhatten.
(c) To Central Park.
(d) To watch Grace at the circus.
9. Where is Cy in 1946?
(a) Killed in the war.
(b) Back at Pedder Street.
(c) Back at Coney Island.
(d) In Southern California with Claudia and Arturas.
10. What does life in the Bayview teach Cy?
(a) To live without forming relationships with neighbors.
(b) To appreciate good neighbors.
(c) To learn to look over the bay to predict the weather.
(d) To have a back door for escape.
11. Of what does Cy ask confirmation from Grace?
(a) That she wants a full-body tattoo.
(b) That she will exchange sex for tattoos.
(c) That her horse will not have to come inside the parlor.
(d) That she can afford a tattoo.
12. After hearing Grace talk, what does Cy wonder about her?
(a) If she is making it all up.
(b) If she is insane.
(c) Why she would carry on in such a manner.
(d) If she could be an orphan of the Great War.
13. What is Grace doing as Cy is finishing with the soldier?
(a) Browsing through a book of flash.
(b) Combing her hair.
(c) Flirting with the other soldiers.
(d) Suggesting appropriate tattoos for each soldier.
14. How does Claudia describe Grace?
(a) As a mind that consumes all details.
(b) As a person who can reside under the skin.
(c) As a well that overflows.
(d) As a person who knows about many things.
15. What is Grace's attacker's plan?
(a) To kill Grace.
(b) To make Grace forever deformed.
(c) To bring Grace's body back to God's original purity of naked cleanness.
(d) To make Grace never play chess again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Arturas' moniker?
2. What is a tattooist's paradise and can easily accommodate more artists?
3. How does Grace reassure Cy about her body?
4. What happens as Grace lies in the hospital?
5. What happens on Cy's 65th birthday?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)