|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Cy know his neighbors' names?
(a) By the sounds of their accents.
(b) By the name tags on their various work shirts.
(c) From letters in the foyer mail slots and the smells coming from beneath their doors.
(d) By creating a rhyme of them.
2. Who owns the Varga Oyster Bar?
(a) Siamese-twins Mary and Valerie.
(b) Den Jones.
(c) Henry Beausang.
(d) Arturas and Claudia Overas.
3. Why do tattooists stand apart from the tricksters and freaks?
(a) They do everything in the open.
(b) They have to have a license.
(c) They are seen as somehow genuine and timeless.
(d) They develop a true rapport with their customers.
4. After hearing Grace talk, what does Cy wonder about her?
(a) Why she would carry on in such a manner.
(b) If she is insane.
(c) If she is making it all up.
(d) If she could be an orphan of the Great War.
5. What does a voice advise a soldier to do while he is getting a tattoo?
(a) To pant.
(b) To focus on making his breathing slow and easy.
(c) To smoke some hash.
(d) To think about things that make him fall asleep so he will no longer be in his body.
6. Why does Cy stay at the hospital?
(a) He hopes to sneak in to touch Grace.
(b) He believes that if he leaves Grace will die.
(c) He is afraid the assailant will try again.
(d) He believes that if he doesn't stay, Grace will think he doesn't love her.
7. Where do Claudia and Arturas decide to move and work?
(a) The Pacific Northwest.
(b) New Orleans.
(c) The California beaches.
8. Where is Cy when "Babylon in Brooklyn" opens?
(a) In San Francisco.
(b) In Italy.
(c) In England.
(d) On Coney Island.
9. Who does Cy watch at Varga's?
(a) A man and woman having a loud argument.
(b) The twins having a drinking contest.
(c) Two men downing snapps and arm wrestling.
(d) Grace playing chess.
10. Why do the police close Sedak's file?
(a) No one really cares about what happened.
(b) They think the assailants are dead.
(c) They find the culprits.
(d) They think Sedak insanely hurt himself.
11. What does Coney Island "allow"?
(a) Unsafe rides on the ferris wheel.
(b) Drunks to sleep stretched out across the sidewalk.
(c) Pickpocketing if not much is stolen.
(d) Visitors to act out as they would not at home.
12. How can Cy gain insights into Grace's personality?
(a) He can ask Maximus.
(b) He can watch Grace perform.
(c) He can read some psychology books in the library.
(d) He can quiz chess devotees unobtrusively about Grace's strategy.
13. What is Grace doing as Cy is finishing with the soldier?
(a) Suggesting appropriate tattoos for each soldier.
(b) Flirting with the other soldiers.
(c) Combing her hair.
(d) Browsing through a book of flash.
14. When Cy walks Grace home when he first meets her, what does he think about at the door?
(a) Cy thinks about Riley's way of treating women.
(b) Cy wonders if he should kiss her and whether he is drunk enough to try.
(c) Cy thinks about how much Grace looks like his mother.
(d) Cy wonders why he is always so shy around women outside of his tattoo parlour.
15. What is Arturas' moniker?
(d) Black Baron.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jonesy think is keeping the ladies away from Cy?
2. Why does America require voyeurism in every attraction?
3. What has Claudia been doing for eight years?
4. With what is Coney Island drunk?
5. What does Cy see as a tattoo artist?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)