|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the police close Sedak's file?
(a) They think the assailants are dead.
(b) No one really cares about what happened.
(c) They find the culprits.
(d) They think Sedak insanely hurt himself.
2. What does Coney Island "allow"?
(a) Drunks to sleep stretched out across the sidewalk.
(b) Unsafe rides on the ferris wheel.
(c) Pickpocketing if not much is stolen.
(d) Visitors to act out as they would not at home.
3. What happens on Cy's 65th birthday?
(a) He dies.
(b) He decides to quit tattooing since it isn't popular anymore.
(c) Nina Shearer waltzes into his shop.
(d) He returns to America.
4. How can Cy draw mermaids?
(a) With his left hand.
(b) With his eyes closed.
(c) By comparing them to Venus de Milo.
(d) In a variety of provocative, sultry, saucy poses.
5. What does Cy do as Grace walks away?
(a) He prepares to tattoo an eye on his arm.
(b) He lets out a wolf-like howl and slumps to the ground.
(c) He wrecks his shop.
(d) He gets his gun out of the drawer.
6. What is in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn?
(a) Cy's apartment.
(b) The licensing agency for tattoo artist.
(c) Cy's girlfriend's apartment.
(d) Monty's place.
7. When Cy walks Grace home when he first meets her, what does he think about at the door?
(a) Cy wonders why he is always so shy around women outside of his tattoo parlour.
(b) Cy wonders if he should kiss her and whether he is drunk enough to try.
(c) Cy thinks about how much Grace looks like his mother.
(d) Cy thinks about Riley's way of treating women.
8. With what is Claudia obsessed?
(a) With Grace's chess-playing style.
(b) With Maximus's velvet nose.
(c) With Grace's will to win.
(d) With Coney Island's macabre and tasteless baby incubation exhibition.
9. What requires appalling discipline on Cy's part?
(a) Not telling Grace he does not approve of her design.
(b) Coming to know Grace's body without surrendering to lust.
(c) Requesting that Maximus stays home so that Grace is thinking of Cy.
(d) Working on Grace and charging her money for the pleasure.
10. Where do Claudia and Arturas decide to move and work?
(a) The Pacific Northwest.
(b) The California beaches.
(c) New Orleans.
11. What does Cy do when he visits Maximus?
(a) Grooms him.
(b) Assures him of Grace's love.
(d) Talks to him about his plans to move back to Europe.
12. What does the city seem to generate?
(b) The energy of illumination from within.
13. By what is Grace hypnotized?
(a) The murmer of Cy as he reassures his client.
(b) The sound of the mechanical embroidery.
(c) The sound of the waves rolling on the beach.
(d) The sound of Cy humming a hymn.
14. What does Jonesy think is keeping the ladies away from Cy?
(a) His lack of nice clothes.
(b) His rough handling of them.
(c) Cy's throwback to the 19th-century look is keeping the ladies away.
(d) His gruff manner.
15. How has Riley eclipsed Reeda?
(a) He has not eclipsed Reeda.
(b) In that Cy can still see Riley's face in his mind.
(c) In the little aphorisms Cy remembers of Riley's.
(d) As Cy's chief means of reckoning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom does the tall nurse who sends Cy home remind Cy?
2. What bounces off Claudia like hail from an ox's rump?
3. Who is Lulu?
4. What does Cy offer Nina?
5. What is the first touch between Cy and Grace like?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)