|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Cy never married?
(a) He decides women are too much trouble.
(b) He is still waiting for the right woman.
(c) He doesn't know why.
(d) He still loves Grace.
2. What can cost two-thirds of one's tattoo business?
(a) Not having enough pictures.
(b) Dirt in the parlour.
(c) Having dull needles.
(d) Closing on rainy days.
3. What does Cy realize about the skin after the doctor talks to him?
(a) It is as beautiful plain as adorned.
(b) It is an ever-changing landscape.
(c) It is as vital to life as the loving heart.
(d) It defines who a person is.
4. What bounces off Claudia like hail from an ox's rump?
(a) Praise for her tattoos.
(b) Insults about her husband's ugly features.
(c) Cruelty about her non-female form.
(d) Sexual innuendos.
5. How does Claudia describe Grace?
(a) As a person who can reside under the skin.
(b) As a person who knows about many things.
(c) As a mind that consumes all details.
(d) As a well that overflows.
6. About what do the soldiers clown around with Grace?
(a) Her horse.
(b) Pictures of mermaids.
7. What does Cy see as a tattoo artist?
(a) He understands that people want to claim their bodies as their own site on which to tell about themselves.
(b) He sees that all people are grey.
(c) He sees that people are set in their ways as strongly as a tattoo is set in the skin.
(d) He understands a person's story changes.
8. What does the missing guard report when Henry finds him?
(a) That he drank something and then was out cold.
(b) That he can remember nothing.
(c) That he went to the bath room and someone locked him in there.
(d) Being assaulted by two people.
9. Why do the police close Sedak's file?
(a) They find the culprits.
(b) They think the assailants are dead.
(c) They think Sedak insanely hurt himself.
(d) No one really cares about what happened.
10. What does Claudia do to Grace's assailant?
(a) Nearly beats him to death.
(b) Ties him up for the police.
(c) Pours acid on him.
(d) Stabs him to death.
11. What do the police find when they go to Cy's tattoo parlor?
(a) He has fled with his belongings out of the country.
(b) The parlor is completely wrecked.
(c) He has hanged himself.
(d) A note explaining his actions against Sedak.
12. What requires appalling discipline on Cy's part?
(a) Requesting that Maximus stays home so that Grace is thinking of Cy.
(b) Working on Grace and charging her money for the pleasure.
(c) Coming to know Grace's body without surrendering to lust.
(d) Not telling Grace he does not approve of her design.
13. Where does Cy go after he is thrown out of the hospital?
(a) To check on Maximus.
(b) To the wharf to jump off.
(c) To try to find Grace's sister.
(d) To drink himself into a stupor at Varga's.
14. Where do Claudia and Arturas decide to move and work?
(b) New Orleans.
(c) The California beaches.
(d) The Pacific Northwest.
15. Why is Claudia obsessed with the baby incubation exhibition?
(a) She thinks it's where angels dwell.
(b) She likes to sing to the babies.
(c) She has had six miscarriages.
(d) She has never been pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is going to care for Maximus?
2. When Cy walks Grace home when he first meets her, what does he think about at the door?
3. What does life in the Bayview teach Cy?
4. What drawing does Cy search for and find near the end of the book?
5. Who is Malcolm Sedak?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)