|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Grace reassure Cy about her body?
(a) Tells him doctors can do amazing things with skin grafts.
(b) Has him touch her scars.
(c) Tells him that just knowing he was visiting Maximus made her feel better.
(d) Tells him she no longer feels pain.
2. What does Henry find when he climbs the floor to where Sedak is held?
(a) There is a fire in the hallway.
(b) Everything is fine.
(c) The door is ajar and the guard is missing.
(d) There are some strangers in the hallway.
3. Why do mothers drop off their babies at the incubation exhibition?
(a) They cannot care for them at home.
(b) They hope the baby will die faster there.
(c) They have to by law.
(d) They are hopeful the babies will grow into healthy, hungry, crying beings.
4. What does Cy assume all newcomers to New York feel?
5. When Cy walks Grace home when he first meets her, what does he think about at the door?
(a) Cy thinks about Riley's way of treating women.
(b) Cy thinks about how much Grace looks like his mother.
(c) Cy wonders why he is always so shy around women outside of his tattoo parlour.
(d) Cy wonders if he should kiss her and whether he is drunk enough to try.
6. Why does the management of the baby incubation exhibition allow Grace to come in for free?
(a) She volunteers to help there.
(b) To coax her friend, Claudia, to leave.
(c) She actually sneaks in.
(d) She has a calming effect on the babies.
7. After hearing Grace talk, what does Cy wonder about her?
(a) If she could be an orphan of the Great War.
(b) If she is making it all up.
(c) If she is insane.
(d) Why she would carry on in such a manner.
8. Where do Claudia and Arturas decide to move and work?
(a) New Orleans.
(c) The Pacific Northwest.
(d) The California beaches.
9. What do the police think about Henry's story?
(a) It all makes sense.
(b) They know he is lying but don't care.
(c) They think he is drunk and is covering his own alcohol use on work time.
(d) It doesn't add up, but Sedak is incomprehensible.
10. What do the skyscrapers do to Cy?
(a) They seem to pull him up through the sky and out into space.
(b) They make him think he is in heaven.
(c) They give him a kink in his neck as he constantly looks up.
(d) They scare him.
11. Who is Arturas?
(a) An acrobat.
(b) A stevedore.
(c) A cart man.
(d) The best tattoo artist in New York.
12. When does Cy meet Arturas and Claudia Overas?
(a) When he hangs out his sign on his shop.
(b) When he almost gets hit by a taxi.
(c) When he rents his apartment.
(d) When buying his first batch of ink.
13. Who takes Cy's tattoo equipment?
(a) A Latino gang.
(b) The cops.
(c) The mafia.
(d) Three ruffians.
14. Who are Grace and Maximus?
(a) A woman and her horse who Cy knew in his homeland.
(b) A man and his wife who own an arcade on Coney Island.
(c) The woman and her horse who live in apartment 104 in Cy's apartment complex.
(d) A woman and her monkey who live in apartment 104 in Cy's apartment complex.
15. Why has Cy never married?
(a) He is still waiting for the right woman.
(b) He still loves Grace.
(c) He decides women are too much trouble.
(d) He doesn't know why.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Cy when "Babylon in Brooklyn" opens?
2. Why does Coney Island offer anything repulsive, breathtaking, or monstrously new that people are willing to pay to see?
3. What happens as Grace lies in the hospital?
4. Where does Cy go after he is thrown out of the hospital?
5. Who does Cy watch at Varga's?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)