|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the management of the baby incubation exhibition allow Grace to come in for free?
(a) She volunteers to help there.
(b) She actually sneaks in.
(c) To coax her friend, Claudia, to leave.
(d) She has a calming effect on the babies.
2. What does Cy realize about the skin after the doctor talks to him?
(a) It is an ever-changing landscape.
(b) It defines who a person is.
(c) It is as vital to life as the loving heart.
(d) It is as beautiful plain as adorned.
3. After hearing Grace talk, what does Cy wonder about her?
(a) If she is making it all up.
(b) Why she would carry on in such a manner.
(c) If she is insane.
(d) If she could be an orphan of the Great War.
4. What happens on Cy's 65th birthday?
(a) He decides to quit tattooing since it isn't popular anymore.
(b) He dies.
(c) Nina Shearer waltzes into his shop.
(d) He returns to America.
5. What does the missing guard report when Henry finds him?
(a) That he drank something and then was out cold.
(b) Being assaulted by two people.
(c) That he can remember nothing.
(d) That he went to the bath room and someone locked him in there.
6. By what is Cy riveted?
(a) The idea of Reeda, Grace and the eye.
(b) The idea of working on Grace's body.
(c) The thought that Grace was with all those soldiers right now.
(d) The idea of sex with Grace while working on the tattoo.
7. Who is in Cy's tattoo parlor when Grace first visits?
(a) A young woman from Queens.
(b) The Brooklyn police.
(c) Six or seven young men in uniform.
(d) No one.
8. What is Grace's attacker's plan?
(a) To make Grace never play chess again.
(b) To kill Grace.
(c) To bring Grace's body back to God's original purity of naked cleanness.
(d) To make Grace forever deformed.
9. Why does Cy skip lunch the next day?
(a) So he won't miss Grace should she show up.
(b) He is on a restricted-calorie diet.
(c) He is still suffering the effects of the tainted hot dog of yesterday.
(d) He is not hungry.
10. What does a voice advise a soldier to do while he is getting a tattoo?
(a) To pant.
(b) To think about things that make him fall asleep so he will no longer be in his body.
(c) To smoke some hash.
(d) To focus on making his breathing slow and easy.
11. Why does Cy advise the soldiers to go wash down their arms?
(a) So no muck will get into their bloodstreams.
(b) So he doesn't have to go draw more water from next door.
(c) Cy advises them not to wash their arms.
(d) So the blood will not ruin their uniforms.
12. What does Cy do when he visits Maximus?
(a) Assures him of Grace's love.
(b) Talks to him about his plans to move back to Europe.
(c) Grooms him.
13. By what is Grace hypnotized?
(a) The sound of the waves rolling on the beach.
(b) The murmer of Cy as he reassures his client.
(c) The sound of Cy humming a hymn.
(d) The sound of the mechanical embroidery.
14. What hums perpetually, eliciting screams?
(a) The generators on the boardwalk.
(b) The wires strung overhead.
(c) Electric rides.
(d) The hawkers on the boardwalk.
15. Who is going to care for Maximus?
(d) The circus trainer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jonesy think is keeping the ladies away from Cy?
2. What requires appalling discipline on Cy's part?
3. Who sports orange hair and smudged black eyes and wears an oversized dress?
4. How can Cy draw mermaids?
5. What is the poor man's illustrator?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)