|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lulu?
(a) A bareback trick rider.
(b) The gentle performing elephant that accidentally crushes a man to death.
(c) A tightrope walker.
(d) One of the co-joined twins.
2. What is in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn?
(a) Monty's place.
(b) Cy's apartment.
(c) The licensing agency for tattoo artist.
(d) Cy's girlfriend's apartment.
3. What does Grace request of Cy?
(a) That he not try to find her.
(b) That he stop being sad.
(c) That he go away with her.
(d) That he met her at the fountain and is sober.
4. What has Claudia been doing for eight years?
(a) Raising children.
(b) Displaying at the Human Picture Gallery while performing feats of strength that enthrall the public.
(c) Helping her husband create tattoo art.
(d) Working as a scully maid.
5. Why does Cy stay at the hospital?
(a) He is afraid the assailant will try again.
(b) He believes that if he leaves Grace will die.
(c) He believes that if he doesn't stay, Grace will think he doesn't love her.
(d) He hopes to sneak in to touch Grace.
6. Who takes Cy's tattoo equipment?
(a) The cops.
(b) A Latino gang.
(c) Three ruffians.
(d) The mafia.
7. What is the first touch between Cy and Grace like?
(c) Empty of emotion.
8. What is Grace doing as Cy is finishing with the soldier?
(a) Flirting with the other soldiers.
(b) Browsing through a book of flash.
(c) Suggesting appropriate tattoos for each soldier.
(d) Combing her hair.
9. Why does Coney Island offer anything repulsive, breathtaking, or monstrously new that people are willing to pay to see?
(a) Because it is Coney Island.
(b) Because it is they only way for misfits to earn a living.
(c) Because it is consumer driven.
(d) Because it is materialistic.
10. What does Cy do when Grace stands naked before him for the first time since the assault?
(a) Cy cannot control his horror and weeps uncontrollably.
(b) Cy turns away unable to look at her.
(c) Cy slams his hands down and swears to kill the assailant.
(d) Cy holds her in his arms for an hour.
11. Who is Arturas?
(a) An acrobat.
(b) A stevedore.
(c) The best tattoo artist in New York.
(d) A cart man.
12. What does Grace describe in graphic details to the soldiers?
(a) Nothing; their presence overwhelms her.
(b) What she would be willing to do with them.
(c) What would happen to them if they touch her horse.
(d) What it's like to be in a real battle.
13. What do the skyscrapers do to Cy?
(a) They make him think he is in heaven.
(b) They scare him.
(c) They seem to pull him up through the sky and out into space.
(d) They give him a kink in his neck as he constantly looks up.
14. What does a soldier ask Cy about Grace?
(a) If she is his girlfriend.
(b) If she is a customer.
(c) From what corner of hell he found her.
(d) If she was there to distract him from the needles.
15. What seems preordained in Cy's way of thinking?
(a) Being an artist.
(b) Finding a wife.
(c) Pairing Grace and love.
(d) Pairing Grace and Maximus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had left the back door unlocked?
2. What does the missing guard report when Henry finds him?
3. What does Cy assume all newcomers to New York feel?
4. Of what does Cy ask confirmation from Grace?
5. Why does Cy skip lunch the next day?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)