|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Claudia describe Grace?
(a) As a well that overflows.
(b) As a person who can reside under the skin.
(c) As a mind that consumes all details.
(d) As a person who knows about many things.
2. Who had left the back door unlocked?
(a) No one; the lock is broken.
(d) The guard.
3. Who is going to care for Maximus?
(b) The circus trainer.
4. Who sports orange hair and smudged black eyes and wears an oversized dress?
5. What does Claudia do to Grace's assailant?
(a) Stabs him to death.
(b) Pours acid on him.
(c) Nearly beats him to death.
(d) Ties him up for the police.
6. When Cy walks Grace home when he first meets her, what does he think about at the door?
(a) Cy wonders why he is always so shy around women outside of his tattoo parlour.
(b) Cy thinks about Riley's way of treating women.
(c) Cy thinks about how much Grace looks like his mother.
(d) Cy wonders if he should kiss her and whether he is drunk enough to try.
7. Why do tattooists stand apart from the tricksters and freaks?
(a) They develop a true rapport with their customers.
(b) They have to have a license.
(c) They are seen as somehow genuine and timeless.
(d) They do everything in the open.
8. What does Cy see as a tattoo artist?
(a) He understands a person's story changes.
(b) He understands that people want to claim their bodies as their own site on which to tell about themselves.
(c) He sees that all people are grey.
(d) He sees that people are set in their ways as strongly as a tattoo is set in the skin.
9. What does life in the Bayview teach Cy?
(a) To appreciate good neighbors.
(b) To have a back door for escape.
(c) To live without forming relationships with neighbors.
(d) To learn to look over the bay to predict the weather.
10. What does Cy realize about the skin after the doctor talks to him?
(a) It is as beautiful plain as adorned.
(b) It is as vital to life as the loving heart.
(c) It is an ever-changing landscape.
(d) It defines who a person is.
11. What requires appalling discipline on Cy's part?
(a) Working on Grace and charging her money for the pleasure.
(b) Not telling Grace he does not approve of her design.
(c) Coming to know Grace's body without surrendering to lust.
(d) Requesting that Maximus stays home so that Grace is thinking of Cy.
12. Who are Grace and Maximus?
(a) The woman and her horse who live in apartment 104 in Cy's apartment complex.
(b) A man and his wife who own an arcade on Coney Island.
(c) A woman and her monkey who live in apartment 104 in Cy's apartment complex.
(d) A woman and her horse who Cy knew in his homeland.
13. What does Henry find when he climbs the floor to where Sedak is held?
(a) The door is ajar and the guard is missing.
(b) There are some strangers in the hallway.
(c) Everything is fine.
(d) There is a fire in the hallway.
14. What does the missing guard report when Henry finds him?
(a) That he can remember nothing.
(b) That he went to the bath room and someone locked him in there.
(c) That he drank something and then was out cold.
(d) Being assaulted by two people.
15. Why does Cy stay at the hospital?
(a) He believes that if he leaves Grace will die.
(b) He hopes to sneak in to touch Grace.
(c) He is afraid the assailant will try again.
(d) He believes that if he doesn't stay, Grace will think he doesn't love her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cy go after he is thrown out of the hospital?
2. What seems preordained in Cy's way of thinking?
3. Who has taken care of the horse?
4. Why does Coney Island offer anything repulsive, breathtaking, or monstrously new that people are willing to pay to see?
5. Why does Grace say she will find Cy soon?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)