|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jonesy think is keeping the ladies away from Cy?
(a) Cy's throwback to the 19th-century look is keeping the ladies away.
(b) His rough handling of them.
(c) His lack of nice clothes.
(d) His gruff manner.
2. What does Cy assume all newcomers to New York feel?
3. What does Cy realize about the skin after the doctor talks to him?
(a) It is an ever-changing landscape.
(b) It is as beautiful plain as adorned.
(c) It is as vital to life as the loving heart.
(d) It defines who a person is.
4. What does Grace's paper show?
(a) An unblinking, almost hieroglyphic eye.
(b) Grace's face on a mermaid.
(c) A horse bowing its two front legs.
(d) A horse rearing.
5. Where is Cy in 1946?
(a) In Southern California with Claudia and Arturas.
(b) Back at Pedder Street.
(c) Back at Coney Island.
(d) Killed in the war.
6. What does Henry find when he climbs the floor to where Sedak is held?
(a) There are some strangers in the hallway.
(b) There is a fire in the hallway.
(c) Everything is fine.
(d) The door is ajar and the guard is missing.
7. What does Cy do as Grace walks away?
(a) He wrecks his shop.
(b) He gets his gun out of the drawer.
(c) He lets out a wolf-like howl and slumps to the ground.
(d) He prepares to tattoo an eye on his arm.
8. What does Henry notice about the service elevator?
(a) It is turned off.
(b) It is held open by a box on the ground floor.
(c) It is stuck between floors.
(d) It smells like burning rubber.
9. What does Cy do when he visits Maximus?
(a) Assures him of Grace's love.
(b) Grooms him.
(c) Talks to him about his plans to move back to Europe.
10. What does Cy offer Nina?
(b) A scholarship.
(c) An apprenticeship.
(d) A free tattoo.
11. With what is Claudia obsessed?
(a) With Grace's chess-playing style.
(b) With Maximus's velvet nose.
(c) With Coney Island's macabre and tasteless baby incubation exhibition.
(d) With Grace's will to win.
12. How can Cy gain insights into Grace's personality?
(a) He can ask Maximus.
(b) He can quiz chess devotees unobtrusively about Grace's strategy.
(c) He can read some psychology books in the library.
(d) He can watch Grace perform.
13. Why does the management of the baby incubation exhibition allow Grace to come in for free?
(a) She volunteers to help there.
(b) To coax her friend, Claudia, to leave.
(c) She actually sneaks in.
(d) She has a calming effect on the babies.
14. Who is Arturas?
(a) A stevedore.
(b) An acrobat.
(c) The best tattoo artist in New York.
(d) A cart man.
15. What does Cy see as a tattoo artist?
(a) He sees that all people are grey.
(b) He understands that people want to claim their bodies as their own site on which to tell about themselves.
(c) He sees that people are set in their ways as strongly as a tattoo is set in the skin.
(d) He understands a person's story changes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Arturas' moniker?
2. Why does America require voyeurism in every attraction?
3. What does the missing guard report when Henry finds him?
4. Who is Lulu?
5. Of what is Coney Island proof?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)