|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Coney Island offer anything repulsive, breathtaking, or monstrously new that people are willing to pay to see?
(a) Because it is materialistic.
(b) Because it is Coney Island.
(c) Because it is they only way for misfits to earn a living.
(d) Because it is consumer driven.
2. About what do the soldiers clown around with Grace?
(a) Pictures of mermaids.
(d) Her horse.
3. Where is Cy in 1946?
(a) Back at Coney Island.
(b) Killed in the war.
(c) In Southern California with Claudia and Arturas.
(d) Back at Pedder Street.
4. Who owns the Varga Oyster Bar?
(a) Den Jones.
(b) Henry Beausang.
(c) Siamese-twins Mary and Valerie.
(d) Arturas and Claudia Overas.
5. Why has Cy never married?
(a) He decides women are too much trouble.
(b) He still loves Grace.
(c) He is still waiting for the right woman.
(d) He doesn't know why.
6. What does Cy do as Grace walks away?
(a) He wrecks his shop.
(b) He gets his gun out of the drawer.
(c) He prepares to tattoo an eye on his arm.
(d) He lets out a wolf-like howl and slumps to the ground.
7. Who had left the back door unlocked?
(a) The guard.
(c) No one; the lock is broken.
8. What does Henry find when he climbs the floor to where Sedak is held?
(a) There are some strangers in the hallway.
(b) There is a fire in the hallway.
(c) The door is ajar and the guard is missing.
(d) Everything is fine.
9. What has Claudia been doing for eight years?
(a) Raising children.
(b) Working as a scully maid.
(c) Helping her husband create tattoo art.
(d) Displaying at the Human Picture Gallery while performing feats of strength that enthrall the public.
10. What hums perpetually, eliciting screams?
(a) The wires strung overhead.
(b) The hawkers on the boardwalk.
(c) The generators on the boardwalk.
(d) Electric rides.
11. What does Cy think he sees in an apartment below him?
(a) A mermaid.
(b) A tiger in a cage.
(c) An alligator on the window seat.
(d) A horse eating hay.
12. What does Cy offer Nina?
(a) An apprenticeship.
(c) A free tattoo.
(d) A scholarship.
13. Where do Claudia and Arturas decide to move and work?
(a) The Pacific Northwest.
(b) The California beaches.
(c) New Orleans.
14. Who is Arturas?
(a) An acrobat.
(b) A stevedore.
(c) The best tattoo artist in New York.
(d) A cart man.
15. When does Cy meet Arturas and Claudia Overas?
(a) When he almost gets hit by a taxi.
(b) When he rents his apartment.
(c) When he hangs out his sign on his shop.
(d) When buying his first batch of ink.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on Cy's 65th birthday?
2. What requires appalling discipline on Cy's part?
3. What do the police think about Henry's story?
4. Who sports orange hair and smudged black eyes and wears an oversized dress?
5. What is Grace's attacker's plan?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)