|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Claudia and Arturas decide to move and work?
(a) New Orleans.
(b) The Pacific Northwest.
(d) The California beaches.
2. Why does America require voyeurism in every attraction?
(a) Because it puts everything out there for anyone to see.
(b) Because it substitutes emotion for thought.
(c) Because it is a young nation and full of sexual vigor.
(d) Because it is a melting pot of cultures.
3. Why has Cy never married?
(a) He still loves Grace.
(b) He doesn't know why.
(c) He decides women are too much trouble.
(d) He is still waiting for the right woman.
4. What does Jonesy think is keeping the ladies away from Cy?
(a) His gruff manner.
(b) Cy's throwback to the 19th-century look is keeping the ladies away.
(c) His rough handling of them.
(d) His lack of nice clothes.
5. Where does Cy go despite his vows never to return after Lulu's death?
(a) To uptown Manhatten.
(b) To Central Park.
(c) To Ellis Island.
(d) To watch Grace at the circus.
6. Who owns the Varga Oyster Bar?
(a) Arturas and Claudia Overas.
(b) Henry Beausang.
(c) Den Jones.
(d) Siamese-twins Mary and Valerie.
7. What does Cy see as a tattoo artist?
(a) He understands a person's story changes.
(b) He understands that people want to claim their bodies as their own site on which to tell about themselves.
(c) He sees that people are set in their ways as strongly as a tattoo is set in the skin.
(d) He sees that all people are grey.
8. What does Grace request of Cy?
(a) That he go away with her.
(b) That he not try to find her.
(c) That he met her at the fountain and is sober.
(d) That he stop being sad.
9. In what condition do they find Sedak?
(b) Burned and blinded.
(d) Fine except a small eye tattoo.
10. What has Claudia been doing for eight years?
(a) Displaying at the Human Picture Gallery while performing feats of strength that enthrall the public.
(b) Working as a scully maid.
(c) Raising children.
(d) Helping her husband create tattoo art.
11. Who is Malcolm Sedak?
(a) A man who loses one hundred dollars in a chess game to Grace.
(b) The man who burns Grace with acid.
(c) A man who sues Cy for a bad tattoo job.
(d) The man who saves Grace from a man who attacks her.
12. Why do the police close Sedak's file?
(a) They think Sedak insanely hurt himself.
(b) No one really cares about what happened.
(c) They find the culprits.
(d) They think the assailants are dead.
13. Who is Lulu?
(a) One of the co-joined twins.
(b) A tightrope walker.
(c) A bareback trick rider.
(d) The gentle performing elephant that accidentally crushes a man to death.
14. What does Claudia do to Grace's assailant?
(a) Stabs him to death.
(b) Ties him up for the police.
(c) Nearly beats him to death.
(d) Pours acid on him.
15. What drawing does Cy search for and find near the end of the book?
(a) His first mermaid.
(b) A flying horse.
(c) An ancient eye.
(d) A woman on a dancing horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bounces off Claudia like hail from an ox's rump?
2. What does the missing guard report when Henry finds him?
3. What is Grace doing as Cy is finishing with the soldier?
4. With what is Coney Island drunk?
5. Who has taken care of the horse?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)