|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What seems preordained in Cy's way of thinking?
(a) Being an artist.
(b) Pairing Grace and love.
(c) Pairing Grace and Maximus.
(d) Finding a wife.
2. What does Cy assume all newcomers to New York feel?
3. What does Henry notice about the service elevator?
(a) It is stuck between floors.
(b) It is turned off.
(c) It is held open by a box on the ground floor.
(d) It smells like burning rubber.
4. What does Cy do when Grace stands naked before him for the first time since the assault?
(a) Cy turns away unable to look at her.
(b) Cy cannot control his horror and weeps uncontrollably.
(c) Cy slams his hands down and swears to kill the assailant.
(d) Cy holds her in his arms for an hour.
5. What is the largest amusement park on earth?
(a) Central Park.
(b) Coney Island.
(c) Park Place.
(d) The Brooklyn Boardwalk.
6. When Cy walks Grace home when he first meets her, what does he think about at the door?
(a) Cy thinks about Riley's way of treating women.
(b) Cy wonders if he should kiss her and whether he is drunk enough to try.
(c) Cy wonders why he is always so shy around women outside of his tattoo parlour.
(d) Cy thinks about how much Grace looks like his mother.
7. Where is Cy when "Babylon in Brooklyn" opens?
(a) On Coney Island.
(b) In Italy.
(c) In England.
(d) In San Francisco.
8. Of whom does the tall nurse who sends Cy home remind Cy?
9. What do the police think about Henry's story?
(a) They think he is drunk and is covering his own alcohol use on work time.
(b) It doesn't add up, but Sedak is incomprehensible.
(c) They know he is lying but don't care.
(d) It all makes sense.
10. What does a voice advise a soldier to do while he is getting a tattoo?
(a) To pant.
(b) To think about things that make him fall asleep so he will no longer be in his body.
(c) To focus on making his breathing slow and easy.
(d) To smoke some hash.
11. Why do mothers drop off their babies at the incubation exhibition?
(a) They are hopeful the babies will grow into healthy, hungry, crying beings.
(b) They have to by law.
(c) They cannot care for them at home.
(d) They hope the baby will die faster there.
12. Where is Cy in 1946?
(a) Killed in the war.
(b) In Southern California with Claudia and Arturas.
(c) Back at Pedder Street.
(d) Back at Coney Island.
13. Who is going to care for Maximus?
(c) The circus trainer.
14. What do the police find when they go to Cy's tattoo parlor?
(a) He has fled with his belongings out of the country.
(b) A note explaining his actions against Sedak.
(c) The parlor is completely wrecked.
(d) He has hanged himself.
15. With what is Coney Island drunk?
(a) With vulgarity, surrealism and pure stimulation.
(b) With the idea of freedom to be.
(c) With life.
(d) With youth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Claudia been doing for eight years?
2. What is the poor man's illustrator?
3. With what does Grace need help?
4. What does the missing guard report when Henry finds him?
5. Who has taken care of the horse?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)