|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is in Cy's tattoo parlor when Grace first visits?
(a) The Brooklyn police.
(b) No one.
(c) Six or seven young men in uniform.
(d) A young woman from Queens.
2. What does Jonesy think is keeping the ladies away from Cy?
(a) His rough handling of them.
(b) His gruff manner.
(c) Cy's throwback to the 19th-century look is keeping the ladies away.
(d) His lack of nice clothes.
3. Who had left the back door unlocked?
(a) No one; the lock is broken.
(d) The guard.
4. What does Cy offer Nina?
(a) A free tattoo.
(b) An apprenticeship.
(c) A scholarship.
5. What does Grace's paper show?
(a) A horse rearing.
(b) A horse bowing its two front legs.
(c) Grace's face on a mermaid.
(d) An unblinking, almost hieroglyphic eye.
6. Why is Claudia obsessed with the baby incubation exhibition?
(a) She likes to sing to the babies.
(b) She has never been pregnant.
(c) She has had six miscarriages.
(d) She thinks it's where angels dwell.
7. What can cost two-thirds of one's tattoo business?
(a) Dirt in the parlour.
(b) Closing on rainy days.
(c) Having dull needles.
(d) Not having enough pictures.
8. What does the missing guard report when Henry finds him?
(a) That he went to the bath room and someone locked him in there.
(b) That he can remember nothing.
(c) Being assaulted by two people.
(d) That he drank something and then was out cold.
9. What drawing does Cy search for and find near the end of the book?
(a) A woman on a dancing horse.
(b) His first mermaid.
(c) A flying horse.
(d) An ancient eye.
10. What do the police find when they go to Cy's tattoo parlor?
(a) The parlor is completely wrecked.
(b) He has fled with his belongings out of the country.
(c) He has hanged himself.
(d) A note explaining his actions against Sedak.
11. What requires appalling discipline on Cy's part?
(a) Working on Grace and charging her money for the pleasure.
(b) Requesting that Maximus stays home so that Grace is thinking of Cy.
(c) Coming to know Grace's body without surrendering to lust.
(d) Not telling Grace he does not approve of her design.
12. What is Grace's attacker's plan?
(a) To make Grace forever deformed.
(b) To bring Grace's body back to God's original purity of naked cleanness.
(c) To make Grace never play chess again.
(d) To kill Grace.
13. How does Claudia describe Grace?
(a) As a mind that consumes all details.
(b) As a person who knows about many things.
(c) As a person who can reside under the skin.
(d) As a well that overflows.
14. What is the poor man's illustrator?
(a) The almanac.
(b) Paintings on velvet.
15. Who are Grace and Maximus?
(a) The woman and her horse who live in apartment 104 in Cy's apartment complex.
(b) A woman and her horse who Cy knew in his homeland.
(c) A woman and her monkey who live in apartment 104 in Cy's apartment complex.
(d) A man and his wife who own an arcade on Coney Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cy see as a tattoo artist?
2. Who does Cy watch at Varga's?
3. What does Cy decide he needs while looking at the design on paper that Grace hands him?
4. What does Henry find when he climbs the floor to where Sedak is held?
5. When Cy walks Grace home when he first meets her, what does he think about at the door?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)