|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cy like around him?
(a) Lots of food.
(b) Pretty girls.
(c) His favorite pictures.
(d) Art supplies.
2. Upon what does the town council frown?
(a) On mixed bathing and skimpy outfits.
(b) On boys younger than 10 on the beach without a parent.
(c) On the sick people Cy's mother nurses.
(d) On school being closed on Fridays.
3. Why does Cy's mother board these "guests"?
(a) She is a saint.
(b) Her husband forces her to do so.
(c) These guests pay her bills.
(d) She believes it is her duty.
4. Of what is Riley protective?
(a) His privacy.
(b) His tools.
(c) His pictures.
(d) His self-proclaimed genius.
5. What does Riley come to understand while at sea?
(a) His father was right about the ocean.
(b) Tattooing is a siren song and the music of the spheres, impossible to resist or explain.
(c) His grandfather had been right to keep his mother from following his father to sea.
(d) That Riley understood the psychological rationale of tattooing.
6. What can Riley not bear to inscribe on Cy?
(a) The word death.
(b) Reeda's name.
(c) Any religious symbols.
(d) The name of Cy's lover.
7. How does Morecambe celebrate the coming armistice?
(a) By fireworks.
(b) By closing school for the day.
(c) With a carnival.
(d) With a prayer meeting.
8. Who comes to help Cy's mother die?
(a) Cy's grandmother.
(b) Aunt June.
(c) Aunt Doris.
(d) Aunt Dorthey.
9. What confuses Cy?
(a) Why he is not attending school.
(b) Watching his mother care for sobbing women who visit in the middle of the night.
(c) Where is father is.
(d) Why his mother cries for strangers.
10. What is the most important thing to remember about the man in question #61?
(a) He lived 89 years.
(b) He had a hard time getting blue paint to use on special things.
(c) He had a vision no one else could understand.
(d) He was a good man.
11. What does Reeda think of Riley?
(a) That he is honorable.
(b) That he is dangerous.
(c) That he is somewhat crazy.
(d) That he is a drunkard, a Catholic and maybe a Bolshevik.
12. What does the town council do to offenders of their policies?
(a) Publishes the names of offenders.
(b) Makes them pick litter off the beach.
(c) Gives them community service.
(d) Fines them.
13. With whom does Cy fall in love?
(a) Essie Jones.
(b) Eva Brennan.
(c) Estelle Baker.
(d) Eva von Braun.
14. What is different about Cy's mom from Cy?
(a) She is a Russian, whereas Cy is born in Italy.
(b) Reeda Parks can see beyond the horror of the sick people in ways her son cannot.
(c) She had a loving, normal home, but Cy is raised in a boarding house of sick people.
(d) She speaks ten languages and Cy only one.
15. With what does Cy decide he needs help?
(a) Wooing the girl with whom he is in love.
(b) His chemistry homework.
(c) Getting to America.
(d) Learning how to do tattoos.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Riley take Cy for his first visit to a pub?
2. Why do the town council's junctions bother Reeda?
3. What are Riley's rules of courtship?
4. From what does Cy avert his eyes?
5. Who slices the rope?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)