|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cy's mother board these "guests"?
(a) These guests pay her bills.
(b) She believes it is her duty.
(c) Her husband forces her to do so.
(d) She is a saint.
2. What is a key to the customer's personality?
(a) The way the customer reacts to pain.
(b) The choice of pictures.
(c) The color choices.
(d) The scent of the skin.
3. What confuses Cy?
(a) Where is father is.
(b) Why he is not attending school.
(c) Why his mother cries for strangers.
(d) Watching his mother care for sobbing women who visit in the middle of the night.
4. What can Riley accept?
(a) Cy's need for a girlfriend.
(b) Riley's need for alcohol.
(c) Cy's need to care for his mother.
(d) Horror, sin, evil and lunacy as truth on a par with the love of God and beatific goodness.
5. What has Cy learned?
(a) To tattoo without using a drawing.
(b) To sing to keep the women happy.
(c) To size up a skin type by feeling with his eyes closed.
(d) to fight, evict brawlers, negotiate and be enjoyed by women in the back room.
6. What does a young man working in the parlor of the greatest tattooist in Northern England who is nowhere to be found suggest?
(c) Laziness on Riley's part.
7. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
(a) His mother leaning over his bed and singing him a lullaby.
(b) A pig being slaughtered next door.
(c) Laughing summer crowds.
(d) A ship from India coming into port one day and the excitement of it.
8. Where does Riley take Cy for his first visit to a pub?
(a) The Dog and Partridge.
(b) The Lion's Den.
(c) The Partidge Tree.
(d) The Dog and Pony Inn.
9. What does Cy hear through the window of the building he climbs?
(a) A scream.
(b) Mechanical bee sounds and voices.
10. Why do the town council's junctions bother Reeda?
(a) Because she believes the human body is nothing of which to be ashamed.
(b) Because she had to pick up litter one day.
(c) Because she didn't have the money for the fine.
(d) Because Cy had to do community service one day.
11. When does Cy advance to freehand images?
(a) When Riley can supervise him.
(b) When he is half drunk.
(c) Whenever the "alpha male" is absent or more than one customer awaits one.
(d) When there is no picture for what the customer wants.
12. What does Cy not know?
(a) That his mother is pregnant.
(b) That abortionists can be jailed.
(c) That his mother plans to get an abortion.
(d) That his father is really alive.
13. How does Jonty describe Mr. Riley?
(a) A underworld spy.
(b) A lunatic.
(c) An undesirable papist who buys pigs' heads for ungodly purposes.
(d) A cool tattoo artist.
14. What is an accurate description of the Ladies of Leeds?
(a) Kind, well-dressed, close-knit.
(b) Ugly spinsters.
(c) Lovely airheads.
(d) Hard-faced, bad-mouthed women.
15. How does Cy's routine begin?
(a) With the question, "Ready?"
(b) By tapping three times on the table for luck.
(c) By singing a song to himself.
(d) By outlining in pencil the work area.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what do most of the boarders at Cy's home suffer?
2. What does Cy like around him?
3. What does Reeda admit to Cy?
4. What happens to Riley at Moffat Revine?
5. Why is Riley offering Cy an apprenticeship?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)