|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cy's mother say about the sun's light?
(a) That it fades into nothing.
(b) That it is brighter when she is brighter.
(c) That the sun's light does not go out at night but migrates to Ireland and America.
(d) That it is brightest shining through the mist.
2. What does Riley come to understand while at sea?
(a) His father was right about the ocean.
(b) That Riley understood the psychological rationale of tattooing.
(c) His grandfather had been right to keep his mother from following his father to sea.
(d) Tattooing is a siren song and the music of the spheres, impossible to resist or explain.
3. What does a young man working in the parlor of the greatest tattooist in Northern England who is nowhere to be found suggest?
(b) Laziness on Riley's part.
4. Who is Colin Willacy?
(a) Cy's mother's lawyer.
(b) The headmaster at Cy's school.
(c) Cy's grandfather.
(d) Cy's uncle.
5. What does Cy not know?
(a) That his mother plans to get an abortion.
(b) That his father is really alive.
(c) That abortionists can be jailed.
(d) That his mother is pregnant.
6. Why does Cy have to use distilled water to make his inks?
(a) Because of war rationing.
(b) Because Riley is experiementing with a new ink formula.
(c) Because alcohol spirit solutions cannot be safely stored in the cupboard.
(d) Because alcohol spirit solutions have been outlawed.
7. What does Cy see in the discharge basin one day?
(b) A prophesy.
(c) A tattoo design.
(d) Vivid images.
8. What convinces Cy that the first part of his life is ended?
(a) When his mother dies.
(b) When Jonty drowns in the tide.
(c) When Aurora Borealis, the "northern bloodlights," appear over the town.
(d) When Cy falls in love.
9. When Cy arrives home eyes glazed and gait obstructed, what does Reeda assume?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He is ill.
(c) He sprained his ankle.
(d) He has overeaten.
10. What does Cy realize about life?
(a) That it is never wonderful.
(b) That he is old enough to understand the vagaries of life.
(c) That it is always wonderful.
(d) That it can be messy and cruel.
11. Where is Cy's father?
(a) He is at war in Germany.
(b) He is in America working to bring them over.
(c) He was lost years ago at sea.
(d) He is at work at the docks.
12. What can Riley accept?
(a) Cy's need to care for his mother.
(b) Riley's need for alcohol.
(c) Horror, sin, evil and lunacy as truth on a par with the love of God and beatific goodness.
(d) Cy's need for a girlfriend.
13. What does Riley accomplish in a year?
(a) Changes his studio decorations.
(b) Teaches Cy the rest of what Riley knows.
(c) Creates a whole book of designs.
(d) Wills himself to death by alcohol, depression and starvation.
14. What is one form of amusement Cy enjoys?
(a) Riding his bike inside school hallways.
(b) Wrestling with Monty's sister.
(c) Weekly piddling competitions on the beach.
(d) Riding bareback on a circus horse.
15. About what is Riley a stickler?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cy work?
2. What does Cy think Riley may have done while being attacked?
3. How does Morecambe celebrate the coming armistice?
4. At what does Cy marvel?
5. Why is Riley offering Cy an apprenticeship?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)