|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Riley want to be buried?
(a) At the hillside cemetary.
(b) He wants to be cremated.
(c) At sea.
(d) In his homeland of Russia.
2. About whom does Riley lecture Cy?
(d) Leonardo DeVinci.
3. What does Cy think Riley may have done while being attacked?
(a) Thought about having a drink.
(b) Got deathly silent.
(d) Tried the numbing oriental techniques some clients use under the needle.
4. What confuses Cy?
(a) Where is father is.
(b) Watching his mother care for sobbing women who visit in the middle of the night.
(c) Why his mother cries for strangers.
(d) Why he is not attending school.
5. Why does Cy wish his eyes could lie?
(a) So he could look his mama in the face.
(b) So the schoolmaster wouldn't hit him.
(c) So the school bully would leave him alone.
(d) So his troubles would be over.
6. Who are Jonty Preston and Morris Gibbs?
(a) Cy's two step brothers.
(b) Cy's two uncles.
(c) Two bullies who regularly beat up Cy.
(d) Cy's two best friends.
7. What is Muriel's occupation?
(a) A circus performer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A respected electrotherapist.
8. What does Cy see in the discharge basin one day?
(a) A tattoo design.
(c) Vivid images.
(d) A prophesy.
9. Who does not feel like maggots in an infected carcass, as they are regarded in the nicer end of town?
(b) Visitors to Riley's tattoo parlour.
(c) Jonty and Cy.
10. What does Reeda admit to Cy?
(a) That she was once married to Mr. Riley.
(b) That she knows Riley.
(c) That Cy is not her biological son.
(d) That she is performing abortions.
11. Why does Cy's mother board these "guests"?
(a) She believes it is her duty.
(b) These guests pay her bills.
(c) She is a saint.
(d) Her husband forces her to do so.
12. What does Reeda think of Riley?
(a) That he is a drunkard, a Catholic and maybe a Bolshevik.
(b) That he is dangerous.
(c) That he is somewhat crazy.
(d) That he is honorable.
13. What amazes Cy?
(a) That Riley can be drunk and create magnificent tattoos.
(b) That someone so flaccid and bawdy can be so intricate and precise in his line work.
(c) That Riley hums hymns while he works.
(d) That Riley seldoms is aroused by his naked female clients.
14. Why does Cy climb a building?
(a) To find his mother in the crowd.
(b) To hack the villain loose from a flagpole.
(c) To race ahead off the crowd across the rooftops.
(d) To see the burning better.
15. Who slices the rope?
(a) An angry looking man.
(b) His friends.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A woman with a machete.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cy discover on Riley's body?
2. What has Cy forgotten?
3. What does Riley tattoo on Cy's chest?
4. With whom does Cy fall in love?
5. Why is Riley offering Cy an apprenticeship?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)