|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cy discover on Riley's body?
(a) No tattoos.
(b) A tribute tattooed to Reeda.
(c) Fitting verses tattooed on Riley's right sole.
(d) A tattoo for every year of Riley's life.
2. For what does Cy get in trouble at school?
(a) For shooting spitballs.
(b) For eating another student's lunch.
(c) For sleepin in class.
(d) For asking a question about sex.
3. Where does Riley want to be buried?
(a) He wants to be cremated.
(b) At the hillside cemetary.
(c) At sea.
(d) In his homeland of Russia.
4. Who comes to help Cy's mother die?
(a) Cy's grandmother.
(b) Aunt June.
(c) Aunt Dorthey.
(d) Aunt Doris.
5. Why do women trust Riley?
(a) His equipment is sterile and his hard-drinking habits do not enter his studio.
(b) He is homosexual.
(c) He is a eunuch.
(d) He greatly respects women.
6. What does Riley offer Cy?
(a) An apprenticeship.
(b) A few dollars a week to help him.
(c) A message for his mother.
(d) A truce.
7. What is one form of amusement Cy enjoys?
(a) Riding his bike inside school hallways.
(b) Wrestling with Monty's sister.
(c) Riding bareback on a circus horse.
(d) Weekly piddling competitions on the beach.
8. About what is Riley a stickler?
9. How does Riley die?
(a) Is murdered by the man who smashes his fingers.
(b) Hangs himself.
(c) Slips and cracks his head and drowns in the bay.
(d) Suicide by drinking bleach.
10. What has Cy learned?
(a) To size up a skin type by feeling with his eyes closed.
(b) To sing to keep the women happy.
(c) To tattoo without using a drawing.
(d) to fight, evict brawlers, negotiate and be enjoyed by women in the back room.
11. What does Cy not know?
(a) That abortionists can be jailed.
(b) That his father is really alive.
(c) That his mother plans to get an abortion.
(d) That his mother is pregnant.
12. What do Cy, Jonty and Morris seek?
(a) New ways to escape the town council's rules.
(b) A way to sell their inventions.
(c) A way to get to the far coast.
(d) After school employment.
13. What does Riley come to understand while at sea?
(a) His grandfather had been right to keep his mother from following his father to sea.
(b) That Riley understood the psychological rationale of tattooing.
(c) Tattooing is a siren song and the music of the spheres, impossible to resist or explain.
(d) His father was right about the ocean.
14. Why is Riley offering Cy an apprenticeship?
(a) Because he knew Cy's father.
(b) Because he is in love with Cy's mother.
(c) To pass on his artisanship and genius to someone before he dies.
(d) Because he thinks Cy will turn out to be no good otherwise.
15. What does Riley tattoo on Cy's chest?
(a) A ball and chain.
(b) A butterfly.
(c) A skull.
(d) A sailing ship with his dead father's name strung in the rigging.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cy's mother board these "guests"?
2. What happens to Riley at Moffat Revine?
3. What is Muriel's occupation?
4. Who are Jonty Preston and Morris Gibbs?
5. What does Cy's mother say about the sun's light?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)