|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Cy get in trouble at school?
(a) For asking a question about sex.
(b) For shooting spitballs.
(c) For sleepin in class.
(d) For eating another student's lunch.
2. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
(a) His mother leaning over his bed and singing him a lullaby.
(b) A ship from India coming into port one day and the excitement of it.
(c) Laughing summer crowds.
(d) A pig being slaughtered next door.
3. What does Reeda think of Riley?
(a) That he is dangerous.
(b) That he is honorable.
(c) That he is somewhat crazy.
(d) That he is a drunkard, a Catholic and maybe a Bolshevik.
4. What do Cy, Jonty and Morris seek?
(a) New ways to escape the town council's rules.
(b) After school employment.
(c) A way to get to the far coast.
(d) A way to sell their inventions.
5. Why is Riley offering Cy an apprenticeship?
(a) Because he is in love with Cy's mother.
(b) Because he knew Cy's father.
(c) To pass on his artisanship and genius to someone before he dies.
(d) Because he thinks Cy will turn out to be no good otherwise.
6. For what do the boys use Muriel's equipment?
(a) To check their heartbeats.
(b) To jolt each other in the arm.
(c) To watch the ships in the harbor.
(d) To experience a splendid rush of energy.
7. Who does not feel like maggots in an infected carcass, as they are regarded in the nicer end of town?
(a) Visitors to Riley's tattoo parlour.
(b) Jonty and Cy.
8. How old is Cy when the book opens?
9. With what does Cy decide he needs help?
(a) His chemistry homework.
(b) Learning how to do tattoos.
(c) Getting to America.
(d) Wooing the girl with whom he is in love.
10. What's the only way Riley would consider himself a father figure to Cy?
(a) If he can bring his fine-legged mother into the equation.
(b) If Cy can prove Riley is his real father.
(c) If Cy's mother wants Riley to serve that purpose.
(d) If Cy can beat him in arm wrestling.
11. What happens to Riley at Moffat Revine?
(a) He gets into a fight and kills a man.
(b) He drowns in the creek.
(c) He strikes his head and is amnesiac.
(d) His fingers are shattered.
12. What happens when Cy breaks the glass?
(a) He falls to the ground.
(b) He cuts his arm badly.
(c) A man with intense blue eyes grabs him.
(d) He falls into the building.
13. What confuses Cy?
(a) Why he is not attending school.
(b) Where is father is.
(c) Watching his mother care for sobbing women who visit in the middle of the night.
(d) Why his mother cries for strangers.
14. Who comes to help Cy's mother die?
(a) Aunt Dorthey.
(b) Aunt June.
(c) Cy's grandmother.
(d) Aunt Doris.
15. What does Riley tattoo on Cy's chest?
(a) A skull.
(b) A butterfly.
(c) A ball and chain.
(d) A sailing ship with his dead father's name strung in the rigging.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cy climb a building?
2. When Cy arrives home eyes glazed and gait obstructed, what does Reeda assume?
3. What does Cy like around him?
4. Who is Muriel?
5. What are Riley's rules of courtship?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)