|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
(a) A pig being slaughtered next door.
(b) His mother leaning over his bed and singing him a lullaby.
(c) A ship from India coming into port one day and the excitement of it.
(d) Laughing summer crowds.
2. What regularly claims victims among children and tourists?
(a) The strange riptides.
(b) The local pickpocket.
(c) Morecambe's quicksand pools.
(d) The strange illnesses brought in through the port.
3. About whom does Riley lecture Cy?
(a) Leonardo DeVinci.
4. What happens to Riley at Moffat Revine?
(a) He gets into a fight and kills a man.
(b) He strikes his head and is amnesiac.
(c) His fingers are shattered.
(d) He drowns in the creek.
5. How old is Cy when the book opens?
6. Where do the summer crowds gather?
(a) At two local pubs.
(b) In the town's pavilions.
(c) In the movie theaters.
(d) Around the lake in the park.
7. Why does Cy wish his eyes could lie?
(a) So he could look his mama in the face.
(b) So his troubles would be over.
(c) So the school bully would leave him alone.
(d) So the schoolmaster wouldn't hit him.
8. Who comes to help Cy's mother die?
(a) Aunt Dorthey.
(b) Cy's grandmother.
(c) Aunt Doris.
(d) Aunt June.
9. Upon what does the town council frown?
(a) On the sick people Cy's mother nurses.
(b) On boys younger than 10 on the beach without a parent.
(c) On school being closed on Fridays.
(d) On mixed bathing and skimpy outfits.
10. Where does Riley take Cy for his first visit to a pub?
(a) The Dog and Partridge.
(b) The Partidge Tree.
(c) The Lion's Den.
(d) The Dog and Pony Inn.
11. What can Riley accept?
(a) Cy's need for a girlfriend.
(b) Horror, sin, evil and lunacy as truth on a par with the love of God and beatific goodness.
(c) Riley's need for alcohol.
(d) Cy's need to care for his mother.
12. What does Cy not really understand?
(a) That his mother and Muriel perform abortions.
(b) That he is going to a boarding school.
(c) That electricity is dangerous.
(d) That his mother does tattoos.
13. What's the only way Riley would consider himself a father figure to Cy?
(a) If Cy's mother wants Riley to serve that purpose.
(b) If Cy can prove Riley is his real father.
(c) If Cy can beat him in arm wrestling.
(d) If he can bring his fine-legged mother into the equation.
14. What do the Ladies of Leeds do?
(a) Join Reeda in collecting meager alms and votes.
(b) They are nuns and they pray for the ill at Cy's home.
(d) Circus performers.
15. For what do the boys use Muriel's equipment?
(a) To experience a splendid rush of energy.
(b) To jolt each other in the arm.
(c) To check their heartbeats.
(d) To watch the ships in the harbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what does Cy marvel?
2. How does Morecambe celebrate the coming armistice?
3. What is Riley's tenth commandment?
4. How do women's tattoos differ from men's?
5. What does Cy like around him?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)