Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reeda think of Riley?
(a) That he is a drunkard, a Catholic and maybe a Bolshevik.
(b) That he is dangerous.
(c) That he is somewhat crazy.
(d) That he is honorable.
2. Why does Cy's mother board these "guests"?
(a) These guests pay her bills.
(b) Her husband forces her to do so.
(c) She is a saint.
(d) She believes it is her duty.
3. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
(a) His mother leaning over his bed and singing him a lullaby.
(b) A pig being slaughtered next door.
(c) A ship from India coming into port one day and the excitement of it.
(d) Laughing summer crowds.
4. What does Cy not really understand?
(a) That his mother and Muriel perform abortions.
(b) That he is going to a boarding school.
(c) That electricity is dangerous.
(d) That his mother does tattoos.
5. What is an accurate description of the Ladies of Leeds?
(a) Ugly spinsters.
(b) Hard-faced, bad-mouthed women.
(c) Kind, well-dressed, close-knit.
(d) Lovely airheads.
6. What does Cy discover on Riley's body?
(a) Fitting verses tattooed on Riley's right sole.
(b) A tattoo for every year of Riley's life.
(c) No tattoos.
(d) A tribute tattooed to Reeda.
7. What does Cy realize about life?
(a) That it is always wonderful.
(b) That he is old enough to understand the vagaries of life.
(c) That it can be messy and cruel.
(d) That it is never wonderful.
8. Who does Cy recognize?
(a) A man down the street as the thief who stole his bike.
(b) Reeba's helper.
(c) A policeman who accepts bribes from his mother.
(d) A woman who used to live at the boarding house.
9. What do people know?
(a) Cy is much better than Riley.
(b) There are two freehanders working inside as unequal partners.
(c) Cy is as good as Riley.
(d) Cy is almost better than Riley.
10. Why does Cy climb a building?
(a) To see the burning better.
(b) To hack the villain loose from a flagpole.
(c) To race ahead off the crowd across the rooftops.
(d) To find his mother in the crowd.
11. From what do most of the boarders at Cy's home suffer?
(b) Old Age.
12. How old is Cy when the book opens?
13. When Cy arrives home eyes glazed and gait obstructed, what does Reeda assume?
(a) He has overeaten.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He sprained his ankle.
(d) He is ill.
14. What does fine-line hatching do?
(a) Causes much blood loss.
(b) Causes scar tissue.
(c) Creates a wavy image.
(d) Tricks the eye into seeing three dimensions.
15. From what does Cy avert his eyes?
(a) From the ice cream peddler down the street.
(b) From sick people coughing into basins.
(c) From the neighbor's wife who is always naked.
(d) From his father's ash urn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what does the town council frown?
2. How do women's tattoos differ from men's?
3. For what does Cy use the last of Reeda's money?
4. What is Muriel's occupation?
5. Who is Muriel?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)