|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what do most of the boarders at Cy's home suffer?
(d) Old Age.
2. What does Cy observe as he is searching for shells?
(a) A plane plunge into the sea.
(b) His neighbor hitting his wife.
(c) Jonty and the girl Cy loves kissing.
(d) A boat in the harbor go up in flames.
3. How do women's tattoos differ from men's?
(a) They almost always have purple and pink in them.
(b) They are more colorful.
(c) They are usually flowers.
(d) They are smaller and more discreet than men's and entirely personal.
4. What does Cy not know?
(a) That his father is really alive.
(b) That his mother is pregnant.
(c) That his mother plans to get an abortion.
(d) That abortionists can be jailed.
5. What does Reeda think of Riley?
(a) That he is a drunkard, a Catholic and maybe a Bolshevik.
(b) That he is dangerous.
(c) That he is honorable.
(d) That he is somewhat crazy.
6. Who are Jonty Preston and Morris Gibbs?
(a) Two bullies who regularly beat up Cy.
(b) Cy's two step brothers.
(c) Cy's two best friends.
(d) Cy's two uncles.
7. What is Riley's tenth commandment?
(a) Thou shalt not feel guilty.
(b) Thou shalt get paid.
(c) Thou shalt have sex if that is the customer's need.
(d) Thou shalt get used to it.
8. How does Jonty describe Mr. Riley?
(a) A underworld spy.
(b) A cool tattoo artist.
(c) A lunatic.
(d) An undesirable papist who buys pigs' heads for ungodly purposes.
9. With what does Cy decide he needs help?
(a) Learning how to do tattoos.
(b) Getting to America.
(c) His chemistry homework.
(d) Wooing the girl with whom he is in love.
10. What does Cy like around him?
(a) His favorite pictures.
(b) Pretty girls.
(c) Art supplies.
(d) Lots of food.
11. What does Riley tattoo on Cy's chest?
(a) A sailing ship with his dead father's name strung in the rigging.
(b) A skull.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A ball and chain.
12. Where does Cy work?
(a) In a bakery.
(b) In a print shop in the afternoons.
(c) At the stables.
(d) In a blacksmith shop.
13. What does a young man working in the parlor of the greatest tattooist in Northern England who is nowhere to be found suggest?
(a) Laziness on Riley's part.
14. What does the town council do to offenders of their policies?
(a) Fines them.
(b) Makes them pick litter off the beach.
(c) Gives them community service.
(d) Publishes the names of offenders.
15. What does Cy's mother say about the sun's light?
(a) That it fades into nothing.
(b) That the sun's light does not go out at night but migrates to Ireland and America.
(c) That it is brighter when she is brighter.
(d) That it is brightest shining through the mist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a distinct favorite of Cy and his friends?
2. What is an accurate description of the Ladies of Leeds?
3. For what do the boys use Muriel's equipment?
4. Why do the town council's junctions bother Reeda?
5. With whom does Cy fall in love?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)