|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Cy use the last of Reeda's money?
(a) To refurbish his tattoo parlour.
(b) To buy a third-class ticket to America.
(c) To send Riley's body to Russia.
(d) A sea coffin for Riley.
2. What do people know?
(a) Cy is almost better than Riley.
(b) Cy is as good as Riley.
(c) Cy is much better than Riley.
(d) There are two freehanders working inside as unequal partners.
3. Who does not feel like maggots in an infected carcass, as they are regarded in the nicer end of town?
(b) Jonty and Cy.
(d) Visitors to Riley's tattoo parlour.
4. Who comes to help Cy's mother die?
(a) Aunt Doris.
(b) Aunt Dorthey.
(c) Aunt June.
(d) Cy's grandmother.
5. What is different about Cy's mom from Cy?
(a) She had a loving, normal home, but Cy is raised in a boarding house of sick people.
(b) Reeda Parks can see beyond the horror of the sick people in ways her son cannot.
(c) She speaks ten languages and Cy only one.
(d) She is a Russian, whereas Cy is born in Italy.
6. Where do the summer crowds gather?
(a) In the town's pavilions.
(b) At two local pubs.
(c) In the movie theaters.
(d) Around the lake in the park.
7. What does Cy think Riley may have done while being attacked?
(a) Tried the numbing oriental techniques some clients use under the needle.
(c) Got deathly silent.
(d) Thought about having a drink.
8. What can Riley accept?
(a) Horror, sin, evil and lunacy as truth on a par with the love of God and beatific goodness.
(b) Cy's need to care for his mother.
(c) Riley's need for alcohol.
(d) Cy's need for a girlfriend.
9. At what does Cy marvel?
(a) The intricate designs Riley tattoos.
(b) The way the colors glow on women.
(c) The way a woman's breast moves a tattoo.
(d) Women's endurance and unpredictability.
10. What is an accurate description of the Ladies of Leeds?
(a) Lovely airheads.
(b) Hard-faced, bad-mouthed women.
(c) Ugly spinsters.
(d) Kind, well-dressed, close-knit.
11. Why does Cy wish his eyes could lie?
(a) So he could look his mama in the face.
(b) So his troubles would be over.
(c) So the schoolmaster wouldn't hit him.
(d) So the school bully would leave him alone.
12. Where is Cy's father?
(a) He is at war in Germany.
(b) He is at work at the docks.
(c) He is in America working to bring them over.
(d) He was lost years ago at sea.
13. What is Muriel's occupation?
(a) A nurse.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A circus performer.
(d) A respected electrotherapist.
14. Where does Riley take Cy for his first visit to a pub?
(a) The Dog and Pony Inn.
(b) The Lion's Den.
(c) The Dog and Partridge.
(d) The Partidge Tree.
15. Who is Muriel?
(a) Reeda's older sister.
(b) Morris's mother.
(c) Reeda's secret partner.
(d) Reeda's lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do women's tattoos differ from men's?
2. With what does Cy decide he needs help?
3. What is Riley's tenth commandment?
4. What has Cy forgotten?
5. What does the town council do to offenders of their policies?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)