|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Riley offer Cy?
(a) A few dollars a week to help him.
(b) A message for his mother.
(c) An apprenticeship.
(d) A truce.
2. Where is Cy's father?
(a) He was lost years ago at sea.
(b) He is at work at the docks.
(c) He is in America working to bring them over.
(d) He is at war in Germany.
3. For what does Cy use the last of Reeda's money?
(a) To buy a third-class ticket to America.
(b) To refurbish his tattoo parlour.
(c) A sea coffin for Riley.
(d) To send Riley's body to Russia.
4. What is a key to the customer's personality?
(a) The scent of the skin.
(b) The color choices.
(c) The choice of pictures.
(d) The way the customer reacts to pain.
5. What does Cy discover on Riley's body?
(a) No tattoos.
(b) A tattoo for every year of Riley's life.
(c) Fitting verses tattooed on Riley's right sole.
(d) A tribute tattooed to Reeda.
6. About what is Riley a stickler?
7. What amazes Cy?
(a) That Riley can be drunk and create magnificent tattoos.
(b) That Riley seldoms is aroused by his naked female clients.
(c) That Riley hums hymns while he works.
(d) That someone so flaccid and bawdy can be so intricate and precise in his line work.
8. What does the town council do to offenders of their policies?
(a) Makes them pick litter off the beach.
(b) Fines them.
(c) Gives them community service.
(d) Publishes the names of offenders.
9. Of what is Riley protective?
(a) His pictures.
(b) His privacy.
(c) His tools.
(d) His self-proclaimed genius.
10. How does Morecambe celebrate the coming armistice?
(a) By closing school for the day.
(b) With a prayer meeting.
(c) With a carnival.
(d) By fireworks.
11. Why does Cy climb a building?
(a) To race ahead off the crowd across the rooftops.
(b) To hack the villain loose from a flagpole.
(c) To find his mother in the crowd.
(d) To see the burning better.
12. Upon what does the town council frown?
(a) On school being closed on Fridays.
(b) On mixed bathing and skimpy outfits.
(c) On boys younger than 10 on the beach without a parent.
(d) On the sick people Cy's mother nurses.
13. What is one form of amusement Cy enjoys?
(a) Riding his bike inside school hallways.
(b) Wrestling with Monty's sister.
(c) Weekly piddling competitions on the beach.
(d) Riding bareback on a circus horse.
14. For what do the boys use Muriel's equipment?
(a) To jolt each other in the arm.
(b) To check their heartbeats.
(c) To experience a splendid rush of energy.
(d) To watch the ships in the harbor.
15. What is different about Cy's mom from Cy?
(a) She had a loving, normal home, but Cy is raised in a boarding house of sick people.
(b) Reeda Parks can see beyond the horror of the sick people in ways her son cannot.
(c) She is a Russian, whereas Cy is born in Italy.
(d) She speaks ten languages and Cy only one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cy share with his mother?
2. What has Cy forgotten?
3. What can Riley accept?
4. Who comes to help Cy's mother die?
5. What convinces Cy that the first part of his life is ended?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)