|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Riley's rules of courtship?
(a) To slap, grip, fist and dog-mount women.
(b) To court for at least a day before sex.
(c) To treat them tenderly under the needle and harshly under him.
(d) To keep his professional life and sexual life seperate.
2. What do Cy, Jonty and Morris seek?
(a) A way to get to the far coast.
(b) After school employment.
(c) A way to sell their inventions.
(d) New ways to escape the town council's rules.
3. What is the most important thing to remember about the man in question #61?
(a) He was a good man.
(b) He had a hard time getting blue paint to use on special things.
(c) He lived 89 years.
(d) He had a vision no one else could understand.
4. For what does Cy get in trouble at school?
(a) For sleepin in class.
(b) For eating another student's lunch.
(c) For shooting spitballs.
(d) For asking a question about sex.
5. What is a distinct favorite of Cy and his friends?
(a) The ice cream machine.
(b) The blaring music.
(c) A line of Bathing Beauties parades barer than ever and Gaynor Shearer's erect nipples.
(d) The cotton candy.
6. What does Riley admire about Cy?
(a) His reticence.
(b) His intelligence.
(c) His imagination and dexterity.
(d) His mother.
7. What do tattoos eventually become?
(a) An aggravation.
(c) Just another part of the anatomy.
(d) Sexually appealing.
8. What convinces Cy that the first part of his life is ended?
(a) When Cy falls in love.
(b) When Jonty drowns in the tide.
(c) When Aurora Borealis, the "northern bloodlights," appear over the town.
(d) When his mother dies.
9. What amazes Cy?
(a) That someone so flaccid and bawdy can be so intricate and precise in his line work.
(b) That Riley seldoms is aroused by his naked female clients.
(c) That Riley hums hymns while he works.
(d) That Riley can be drunk and create magnificent tattoos.
10. Why does Riley say that Cy needs to comfort customers?
(a) Because they are as much a psychiatrist as artists.
(b) Because customers come there for more than one reason.
(c) Because it makes the needles hurt less.
(d) Because some change their minds and flee.
11. What does Reeda admit to Cy?
(a) That she is performing abortions.
(b) That she was once married to Mr. Riley.
(c) That Cy is not her biological son.
(d) That she knows Riley.
12. What is Muriel's occupation?
(a) A circus performer.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A respected electrotherapist.
(d) A doctor.
13. When Cy arrives home eyes glazed and gait obstructed, what does Reeda assume?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He is ill.
(c) He has overeaten.
(d) He sprained his ankle.
14. What does Cy realize about life?
(a) That it is never wonderful.
(b) That it is always wonderful.
(c) That he is old enough to understand the vagaries of life.
(d) That it can be messy and cruel.
15. How does Morecambe celebrate the coming armistice?
(a) By closing school for the day.
(b) With a prayer meeting.
(c) By fireworks.
(d) With a carnival.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cy hear through the window of the building he climbs?
2. What does Reeda think of Riley?
3. Where is Cy's father?
4. Who does not feel like maggots in an infected carcass, as they are regarded in the nicer end of town?
5. What has Cy forgotten?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)