|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reeda think of Riley?
(a) That he is dangerous.
(b) That he is a drunkard, a Catholic and maybe a Bolshevik.
(c) That he is honorable.
(d) That he is somewhat crazy.
2. What is the most important thing to remember about the man in question #61?
(a) He lived 89 years.
(b) He was a good man.
(c) He had a vision no one else could understand.
(d) He had a hard time getting blue paint to use on special things.
3. What does Cy share with his mother?
(a) Nothing; he does not really talk to her much anymore.
(b) A worry he has about his father.
(c) A secret about Jonty.
(d) His wages.
4. Why does Cy climb a building?
(a) To race ahead off the crowd across the rooftops.
(b) To hack the villain loose from a flagpole.
(c) To see the burning better.
(d) To find his mother in the crowd.
5. What does Cy see in the discharge basin one day?
(a) A prophesy.
(b) A tattoo design.
(c) Vivid images.
6. What does Cy like around him?
(a) His favorite pictures.
(b) Pretty girls.
(c) Lots of food.
(d) Art supplies.
7. What is different about Cy's mom from Cy?
(a) She speaks ten languages and Cy only one.
(b) Reeda Parks can see beyond the horror of the sick people in ways her son cannot.
(c) She is a Russian, whereas Cy is born in Italy.
(d) She had a loving, normal home, but Cy is raised in a boarding house of sick people.
8. What does the town council do to offenders of their policies?
(a) Gives them community service.
(b) Makes them pick litter off the beach.
(c) Fines them.
(d) Publishes the names of offenders.
9. For what does Cy use the last of Reeda's money?
(a) A sea coffin for Riley.
(b) To buy a third-class ticket to America.
(c) To send Riley's body to Russia.
(d) To refurbish his tattoo parlour.
10. What is Riley's tenth commandment?
(a) Thou shalt get used to it.
(b) Thou shalt get paid.
(c) Thou shalt have sex if that is the customer's need.
(d) Thou shalt not feel guilty.
11. Where does Riley want to be buried?
(a) In his homeland of Russia.
(b) At sea.
(c) He wants to be cremated.
(d) At the hillside cemetary.
12. Who are Jonty Preston and Morris Gibbs?
(a) Two bullies who regularly beat up Cy.
(b) Cy's two step brothers.
(c) Cy's two uncles.
(d) Cy's two best friends.
13. Where is Cy's father?
(a) He is at war in Germany.
(b) He is at work at the docks.
(c) He was lost years ago at sea.
(d) He is in America working to bring them over.
14. Why does Riley say that Cy needs to comfort customers?
(a) Because they are as much a psychiatrist as artists.
(b) Because some change their minds and flee.
(c) Because it makes the needles hurt less.
(d) Because customers come there for more than one reason.
15. What is an accurate description of the Ladies of Leeds?
(a) Hard-faced, bad-mouthed women.
(b) Kind, well-dressed, close-knit.
(c) Lovely airheads.
(d) Ugly spinsters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a key to the customer's personality?
2. What does Cy observe as he is searching for shells?
3. How does Cy respond to what he sees in the basin?
4. What can Riley accept?
5. Where does Cy work?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)