|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is different about Cy's mom from Cy?
(a) She is a Russian, whereas Cy is born in Italy.
(b) She had a loving, normal home, but Cy is raised in a boarding house of sick people.
(c) She speaks ten languages and Cy only one.
(d) Reeda Parks can see beyond the horror of the sick people in ways her son cannot.
2. What does Cy's mother say about the sun's light?
(a) That it is brightest shining through the mist.
(b) That the sun's light does not go out at night but migrates to Ireland and America.
(c) That it fades into nothing.
(d) That it is brighter when she is brighter.
3. Where is Cy's father?
(a) He is at work at the docks.
(b) He is in America working to bring them over.
(c) He was lost years ago at sea.
(d) He is at war in Germany.
4. How does Cy's routine begin?
(a) By singing a song to himself.
(b) By outlining in pencil the work area.
(c) By tapping three times on the table for luck.
(d) With the question, "Ready?"
5. What does Cy like around him?
(a) His favorite pictures.
(b) Lots of food.
(c) Art supplies.
(d) Pretty girls.
6. How do women's tattoos differ from men's?
(a) They almost always have purple and pink in them.
(b) They are smaller and more discreet than men's and entirely personal.
(c) They are usually flowers.
(d) They are more colorful.
7. Who is Muriel?
(a) Reeda's lover.
(b) Morris's mother.
(c) Reeda's older sister.
(d) Reeda's secret partner.
8. What is the most important thing to remember about the man in question #61?
(a) He lived 89 years.
(b) He had a hard time getting blue paint to use on special things.
(c) He was a good man.
(d) He had a vision no one else could understand.
9. What is Muriel's occupation?
(a) A circus performer.
(b) A respected electrotherapist.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A doctor.
10. About what is Riley a stickler?
11. What can Riley not bear to inscribe on Cy?
(a) The name of Cy's lover.
(b) Any religious symbols.
(c) Reeda's name.
(d) The word death.
12. Where does Riley take Cy for his first visit to a pub?
(a) The Lion's Den.
(b) The Dog and Partridge.
(c) The Partidge Tree.
(d) The Dog and Pony Inn.
13. Who are Jonty Preston and Morris Gibbs?
(a) Two bullies who regularly beat up Cy.
(b) Cy's two uncles.
(c) Cy's two step brothers.
(d) Cy's two best friends.
14. What does Cy begin to do?
(a) Draw a book of designs.
(b) Tattoo some of Riley's customers.
(c) Create a name for himself.
(d) Have sex with some of the willing customers.
15. What regularly claims victims among children and tourists?
(a) The strange illnesses brought in through the port.
(b) The local pickpocket.
(c) The strange riptides.
(d) Morecambe's quicksand pools.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Cy get in trouble at school?
2. What do Cy, Jonty and Morris seek?
3. Why does Cy's mother board these "guests"?
4. What does Riley come to understand while at sea?
5. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)