|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cy begin to do?
(a) Create a name for himself.
(b) Draw a book of designs.
(c) Have sex with some of the willing customers.
(d) Tattoo some of Riley's customers.
2. Why does Cy's mother board these "guests"?
(a) She is a saint.
(b) These guests pay her bills.
(c) She believes it is her duty.
(d) Her husband forces her to do so.
3. What happens to Riley at Moffat Revine?
(a) He drowns in the creek.
(b) He strikes his head and is amnesiac.
(c) His fingers are shattered.
(d) He gets into a fight and kills a man.
4. What happens when Cy breaks the glass?
(a) He falls to the ground.
(b) He cuts his arm badly.
(c) A man with intense blue eyes grabs him.
(d) He falls into the building.
5. Of what are Cy's earliest memories?
(a) Laughing summer crowds.
(b) His mother leaning over his bed and singing him a lullaby.
(c) A ship from India coming into port one day and the excitement of it.
(d) A pig being slaughtered next door.
6. Why does Cy wish his eyes could lie?
(a) So his troubles would be over.
(b) So the school bully would leave him alone.
(c) So he could look his mama in the face.
(d) So the schoolmaster wouldn't hit him.
7. Why do women trust Riley?
(a) He greatly respects women.
(b) His equipment is sterile and his hard-drinking habits do not enter his studio.
(c) He is homosexual.
(d) He is a eunuch.
8. What does Cy share with his mother?
(a) A secret about Jonty.
(b) His wages.
(c) A worry he has about his father.
(d) Nothing; he does not really talk to her much anymore.
9. Where does Riley want to be buried?
(a) At the hillside cemetary.
(b) At sea.
(c) In his homeland of Russia.
(d) He wants to be cremated.
10. What does Cy not really understand?
(a) That his mother does tattoos.
(b) That his mother and Muriel perform abortions.
(c) That electricity is dangerous.
(d) That he is going to a boarding school.
11. Of what is Riley protective?
(a) His pictures.
(b) His tools.
(c) His self-proclaimed genius.
(d) His privacy.
12. Where is Cy's father?
(a) He is at war in Germany.
(b) He is in America working to bring them over.
(c) He is at work at the docks.
(d) He was lost years ago at sea.
13. What has Cy forgotten?
(a) Exactly how his mother's face looked.
(b) What song his mother used to sing.
(c) Why his father went to sea.
(d) How his grandfather used to buy him ice cream when he came visiting.
14. What is a key to the customer's personality?
(a) The choice of pictures.
(b) The color choices.
(c) The scent of the skin.
(d) The way the customer reacts to pain.
15. For what does Cy use the last of Reeda's money?
(a) To buy a third-class ticket to America.
(b) A sea coffin for Riley.
(c) To send Riley's body to Russia.
(d) To refurbish his tattoo parlour.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confuses Cy?
2. What is Muriel's occupation?
3. What's the only way Riley would consider himself a father figure to Cy?
4. Why do the town council's junctions bother Reeda?
5. With whom does Cy fall in love?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)