|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt's voice changed during her tenure as First Lady?
(a) She spoke out in defense of corporations and free enterprise.
(b) She spoke out for American participation in World War II.
(c) She spoke more strongly for justice and peace.
(d) She began to speak less and less as her husband's presidency went on.
2. How does Freedman characterize Eleanor Roosevelt's presence?
(a) She was always in motion.
(b) She was quiet and sometimes faded into the background.
(c) There was an aura about her.
(d) She carried a cloud over her.
3. What was Sara Roosevelt's response to Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's engagement?
(a) She objected.
(b) She was delighted for them.
(c) She urged patience.
(d) She made everyone uncomfortable with her doubts.
4. What misfortune struck Eleanor Roosevelt at age ten?
(a) Her parents died.
(b) A farm accident.
(c) Her sister died.
5. What does Freedman say Eleanor felt when Franklin proposed?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were Eleanor Roosevelt's classmates at Allenswood?
2. How does Freedman describe Eleanor Roosevelt's treatment at Allenswood?
3. What was Franklin responsible for when the U.S. entered World War I?
4. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt used the thing the Secret Service gave her?
5. Who was Lucy Mercer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Franklin Roosevelt's progress from paralyzed New York politician to candidate for President.
2. What was Eleanor Roosevelt's childhood nickname?
3. How does Freedman describe Eleanor Roosevelt's trip to Europe to visit the troops?
4. Describe Eleanor's experience teaching at the Todhunter school.
5. What was Allenswood like?
6. Describe Eleanor Roosevelt's first engagement.
7. How did Eleanor Roosevelt change the position of First Lady?
8. Describe Eleanor Roosevelt's family background.
9. Why wasn't Eleanor Roosevelt looking forward to her coming out?
10. What were the problems in the Roosevelt household?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)