|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Freedman say were Eleanor Roosevelt's feelings about her father?
(c) She did not know him.
2. What does Freedman say Eleanor felt about her prospects as a wife?
(a) She was not beautiful, and did not have anything to offer.
(b) She secretly felt that any man would be lucky to have her for a bride.
(c) She was filled with dread about having to perform a wife's duties.
(d) She was proud to finally become a wife and mother herself.
3. How does Freedman characterize Eleanor Roosevelt's presence?
(a) There was an aura about her.
(b) She carried a cloud over her.
(c) She was quiet and sometimes faded into the background.
(d) She was always in motion.
4. What did Eleanor Roosevelt feel her husband did to her lifestyle by running for President?
(a) Belittled it.
(b) Improved it.
(c) Took it away.
(d) Undermined it.
5. What does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt was uncomfortable about in the townhouse where she lived with her husband and children?
(a) Being in charge of so many decisions.
(b) Being so far from home.
(c) Her husband's mistresses.
(d) Being surrounded by servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freedman say was the effect of this nickname?
2. What was Franklin Roosevelt's response to Eleanor Roosevelt's feelings about her household?
3. What difficulties does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt was First Lady through?
4. How does Freedman characterize Eleanor Roosevelt's social demeanor at age 18?
5. Where was Allenswood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the effect of Eleanor Roosevelt's mother's beauty?
2. What was Allenswood like?
3. How does Freedman characterize the difference between Eleanor and Franklin's personalities?
4. How did Eleanor Roosevelt meet and begin to spend time with Franklin Roosevelt?
5. How did Eleanor Roosevelt change the position of First Lady?
6. What was Franklin Roosevelt's next step in politics?
7. What did Franklin Roosevelt see in Eleanor--what did he tell her when his proposal surprised her?
8. How did Franklin Roosevelt's mother react to news of the engagement?
9. Describe the rules that applied to Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's courtship.
10. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt asserted her independence as First Lady?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)