|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Eleanor Roosevelt say Mlle. Souvestre affected her?
(a) She opened her mind.
(b) She strengthened her resolve.
(c) She taught her to go without things.
(d) She schooled her in religion.
2. What does Freedman say Eleanor felt about her prospects as a wife?
(a) She was not beautiful, and did not have anything to offer.
(b) She secretly felt that any man would be lucky to have her for a bride.
(c) She was proud to finally become a wife and mother herself.
(d) She was filled with dread about having to perform a wife's duties.
3. What does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt did about this feeling?
(a) Talked herself out of it.
(b) Argued fiercely.
(c) Kept silent.
(d) Argued fiercely.
4. What did Anna Roosevelt die of?
(d) Scarlet fever.
5. What was Franklin responsible for when the U.S. entered World War I?
(a) Mobilizing warships.
(c) Overseeing war contractors.
(d) Raising money.
6. What was a sign of being a 'fast woman'?
(a) Accepting jewelry without being engaged.
(b) Talking with a man.
(c) Dancing with a man.
(d) Writing a letter to a man.
7. Who did Franklin Roosevelt follow into politics?
(a) His cousin Teddy.
(b) His mother's advice.
(c) His father.
(d) A lawyer from his firm.
8. What does Freedman say the Secret Service objected to?
(a) Eleanor Roosevelt's outspoken public persona.
(b) Eleanor Roosevelt's reclusivity.
(c) Eleanor Roosevelt's driving alone.
(d) Eleanor Roosevelt's trips to foreign countries.
9. How does Freedman characterize Eleanor Roosevelt's feelings about moving to Albany when Franklin Roosevelt won his first race?
(a) She was delighted to get away from Sara.
(b) She was sorry to have to become a political wife.
(c) She was glad to have more space for the children.
(d) She was sorry to leave New York.
10. Where did Elliot Roosevelt go while his wife stayed in New York with the children?
11. How long did Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt keep their engagement a secret?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two months.
(d) A year.
12. What does Freedman say Eleanor felt when Franklin proposed?
13. Where does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt enjoyed happy times?
(b) The Catskills.
(c) Oak Terrace.
14. Who were Eleanor Roosevelt's classmates at Allenswood?
(a) Diplomats' daughters.
(b) Her siblings.
(c) Wealthy girls.
(d) Working girls.
15. What was the Junior League's purpose?
(a) To raise money for political parties.
(b) To educate workers.
(c) To help the needy.
(d) To organize the poor politically.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Elliot Roosevelt die of?
2. When was Eleanor Roosevelt born?
3. Who accompanied Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt during their visits?
4. How does Freedman describe Eleanor Roosevelt's mother's looks?
5. What incident does Freedman say escalated Elliot Roosevelt's alcoholism?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)