|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Freedman say Eleanor felt about her prospects as a wife?
(a) She was not beautiful, and did not have anything to offer.
(b) She was filled with dread about having to perform a wife's duties.
(c) She was proud to finally become a wife and mother herself.
(d) She secretly felt that any man would be lucky to have her for a bride.
2. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt used the thing the Secret Service gave her?
(a) She negotiated treaties.
(b) She used it to foster her reputation for fierce independence.
(c) She unions and workers.
(d) She went for long drives alone.
3. How does Freedman characterize Eleanor Roosevelt's presence?
(a) She was always in motion.
(b) She carried a cloud over her.
(c) There was an aura about her.
(d) She was quiet and sometimes faded into the background.
4. What was Eleanor Roosevelt's lifestyle like, according to Freedman?
5. Where was Allenswood?
(d) New York.
6. What words did Eleanor Roosevelt use to describe her looks?
(b) Rather ugly.
7. Who did Franklin Roosevelt follow into politics?
(a) His father.
(b) His cousin Teddy.
(c) His mother's advice.
(d) A lawyer from his firm.
8. What incident does Freedman say escalated Elliot Roosevelt's alcoholism?
(a) A needy personality.
(b) A financial crisis.
(c) A broken ankle.
(d) A divorce.
9. How does Freedman characterize Eleanor Roosevelt's social demeanor at age 18?
(a) Awkward and shy.
(b) Humble and religious.
(c) Aggressive and political.
(d) Pleasant and gracious.
10. When did Eleanor start to see Franklin regularly?
(a) Right after retuning to the U.S.
(b) The winter of her coming out.
(c) When she turned twenty.
(d) Before she left England.
11. What does Freedman say Eleanor felt when Franklin proposed?
12. How does Freedman characterize the time Eleanor Roosevelt spent at Allenswood?
(a) The worst time of her life.
(b) A time of trials and difficulties.
(c) A time of luxury and being spoiled.
(d) Happiest years of her life.
13. How does Freedman describe Eleanor Roosevelt's mother's looks?
(a) She was plain.
(b) She was a horror.
(c) She was a beauty.
(d) She was indistinct.
14. How old was Eleanor Roosevelt when she returned to the U.S.?
15. Where would Franklin invite Eleanor to visit on weekends?
(a) Campobello Island.
(b) New Brunswick.
(c) Washington D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Elliot Roosevelt's reputation, according to Freedman?
2. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt's relationship with her mother-in-law affected her?
3. Who was Lucy Mercer?
4. What did Anna Roosevelt die of?
5. Where did Elliot Roosevelt go while his wife stayed in New York with the children?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)