|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Freedman say Eleanor felt when Franklin proposed?
2. What was a sign of being a 'fast woman'?
(a) Accepting jewelry without being engaged.
(b) Talking with a man.
(c) Writing a letter to a man.
(d) Dancing with a man.
3. How did Franklin Roosevelt describe Eleanor Roosevelt's eyes when they met?
4. What does Freedman say was Eleanor Roosevelt's childhood nickname?
(b) The sad-eyed lady.
5. What made Eleanor Roosevelt's uncle dangerous?
(a) His madness.
(b) His shotgun.
(c) His fits of rage.
(d) His gambling.
6. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt used the thing the Secret Service gave her?
(a) She negotiated treaties.
(b) She went for long drives alone.
(c) She unions and workers.
(d) She used it to foster her reputation for fierce independence.
7. What holiday did Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt marry on?
(a) St. Valentine's Day.
(c) St. Patrick's Day.
8. How does Freedman characterize the difference between Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's personalities?
(a) Franklin allowed himself to go with other people's decisions, but Eleanor had to insist on her own way in things.
(b) Franklin was lighthearted, but Eleanor withdrew from problems.
(c) Franklin brooded, but Eleanor kept working at keeping the household running.
(d) Franklin was very social, but Eleanor was more political in her interests.
9. What incident does Freedman say escalated Elliot Roosevelt's alcoholism?
(a) A broken ankle.
(b) A needy personality.
(c) A financial crisis.
(d) A divorce.
10. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt's voice changed during her tenure as First Lady?
(a) She spoke more strongly for justice and peace.
(b) She began to speak less and less as her husband's presidency went on.
(c) She spoke out for American participation in World War II.
(d) She spoke out in defense of corporations and free enterprise.
11. When were Eleanor Roosevelt's parents' married?
12. How does Freedman describe Eleanor Roosevelt's looks as a young girl?
(a) She was handsome but not beautiful.
(b) She was half-paralyzed by an infant illness.
(c) She was a beauty.
(d) She was not considered attractive.
13. When was Eleanor Roosevelt born?
14. In what way does Freedman say Franklin Roosevelt shocked his wife?
(a) By supporting women's rights.
(b) By opposing women's rights.
(c) By undermining women's rights.
(d) By sponsoring women's rights.
15. What was Elliot Roosevelt's reputation, according to Freedman?
(a) A hard-driving businessman.
(b) A genial host and drinking companion.
(c) A popular sportsman.
(d) A keep social observer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Anna Roosevelt die of?
2. To what does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt devoted her time after her husband died?
3. Where did Elliot Roosevelt go while his wife stayed in New York with the children?
4. Where did Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt honeymoon?
5. How long did Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt keep their engagement a secret?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)