|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sadness attended Eleanor Roosevelt's return to the U.S.?
(a) Her uncle had died.
(b) The family's fortunes had declined.
(c) Her grandmother had died.
(d) Her uncle had become an alcoholic.
2. What holiday did Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt marry on?
(b) St. Patrick's Day.
(c) St. Valentine's Day.
3. What did Elliot Roosevelt's drinking lead to, according to Freedman?
(a) Love affairs.
(d) Temperance meetings.
4. When were Eleanor Roosevelt's parents' married?
5. How does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt reacted to the Secret Service's objections?
(a) She was contrite.
(b) She was accommodating.
(c) She was flexible.
(d) She was adamant.
6. How does Freedman describe Eleanor Roosevelt's personality as a child?
7. What does Freedman say the Secret Service gave Eleanor Roosevelt?
(a) Her own car.
(b) A budget.
(c) A gun.
(d) Top secret security clearance.
8. What does Freedman say was Eleanor Roosevelt's childhood nickname?
(d) The sad-eyed lady.
9. How does Freedman characterize the relationship between Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt?
(a) They were passionate lovers.
(b) They were formal to the point of being cold.
(c) They were young and confused.
(d) They talked a lot.
10. What is NOT an innovation Freedman credits Eleanor Roosevelt with?
(a) Negotiating treaties herself.
(b) Opening the White House doors to reporters.
(c) Driving her own car.
(d) Traveling the world.
11. How does Freedman describe Eleanor Roosevelt's mother's looks?
(a) She was a beauty.
(b) She was a horror.
(c) She was plain.
(d) She was indistinct.
12. What was Eleanor Roosevelt's relationship with Susie Parish?
(b) Fellow volunteer.
(c) Rival for a boy's attention.
(d) Cousin and roommate.
13. What does Freedman say Eleanor felt about her prospects as a wife?
(a) She secretly felt that any man would be lucky to have her for a bride.
(b) She was proud to finally become a wife and mother herself.
(c) She was not beautiful, and did not have anything to offer.
(d) She was filled with dread about having to perform a wife's duties.
14. What was the relation between Eleanor and Franklin Roosevelt?
(a) Fifth cousins.
(b) Second cousins.
(c) No relation.
(d) First cousins.
15. What made Eleanor Roosevelt's uncle dangerous?
(a) His gambling.
(b) His shotgun.
(c) His fits of rage.
(d) His madness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freedman say Eleanor Roosevelt felt about politics?
2. How did Eleanor Roosevelt react to her father's death, in Freedman's account?
3. Why was Eleanor Roosevelt given this nickname?
4. How does Freedman characterize Eleanor's relationship with Sara Roosevelt?
5. What gesture of familiarity was forbidden to Franklin Roosevelt?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)