|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is William hoping to meet Billy?
2. What does Butler believe shaping the hair of boys does for them?
3. What does Billy do as the prison guard leads him away?
4. What does Jones say that big time businessmen can do?
5. What is it rumored that Billy lost fighting a redneck near Limehouse, SC?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leon become a rival for with the author and how does he show up the author?
2. Where do people say Billy died and what is the truth?
3. What does R.V. guarantee Willis and what does Willis plan to do with his guarantee?
4. Describe the three pictures Milford looks at while he waits for Mrs. Farragot to arrive.
5. How does Gloria's husband feel about square dancing and why is it surprising he feels this way?
6. What does the woman say about men?
7. What doesn't Mrs. Boswell abide and for what is she determined to prepare the boys?
8. What does the woman say Billy would need to do to be able to get promoted and how does he spend his time instead?
9. What is Butler's obsession that becomes his theme as he delivers his sermons?
10. What happens when Willis Davis tries to join the Henry Street guys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Problems of Art" - In what way does this story deal with the fate of blacks in a white-controlled judicial system? Do you believe Mrs. Farragot was wise to insist on a white attorney? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
"A Sense of Story" - In this story the judge demands that the rules of society apply to people of all races equally. Why was this a new concept? Do you think a judge would need to demand this today? Do you believe there is still racial inequality in the judicial system? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Elbow Room"-In what ways is race discussed in this story? Why do you think this story was placed last in the novel?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)