|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Teddy start logging overtime?
2. Where does the scar go that is on the woman in the waiting room?
3. What does Jones say that big time businessmen can do?
4. What is Harper's farm?
5. Why did Marie Gilmore attend Butler's church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does R.V. guarantee Willis and what does Willis plan to do with his guarantee?
2. What happens when the narrator of this story asks the woman sitting in the waiting room how she got the scar on her face?
3. Describe Gloria in regards to her views on country music and the south. Be sure to include where she is from.
4. What happens when Billy tries to buy an orange soda at a general store in South Carolina?
5. What does Leon become a rival for with the author and how does he show up the author?
6. What complaint does Butler have about young blacks?
7. Describe the scar on the woman that fascinates the narrator.
8. What happens when Willis Davis tries to join the Henry Street guys?
9. Describe Gweneth Lawson as seen through the narrator's eyes.
10. Why is Tarwell considering hiring Butler and how does Butler feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Elbow Room"-In what ways is race discussed in this story? Why do you think this story was placed last in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
"I Am an American"- In what way is the character of Leon a good Samaritan? In what ways does Leon rely on stereotypes? What prejudices are shown in this novel? How are they demonstrated?
Essay Topic 3
"The Faithful" - In this story, the main character views his community (the black community) as being divided by their family origins. Do you agree that family origins can divide a community? Why or why not?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)