|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has made Mrs. Farragot notorious at Project Gratis?
2. What was the occupation of Billy and William's namesake?
3. About what do Farragot and Milford hear Wilson reprimand Smothers?
4. What does the narrator believe Mrs. Boswell is encouraging him to challenge?
5. What does Jones admit to being and also to never being?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do people say Billy died and what is the truth?
2. Describe the three pictures Milford looks at while he waits for Mrs. Farragot to arrive.
3. Describe the scar on the woman that fascinates the narrator.
4. What doesn't Mrs. Boswell abide and for what is she determined to prepare the boys?
5. Describe Red Bone and what she tells the woman about Billy.
6. What does Butler forbid in his shop and why does he forbid them?
7. What does R.V. guarantee Willis and what does Willis plan to do with his guarantee?
8. Why is Tarwell considering hiring Butler and how does Butler feel about this?
9. What does Winfield say he was doing until he saw Mrs. Farragot run out of her house?
10. What complaint does Butler have about young blacks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Silver Bullet" - What does the phrase "Everyone gets the spanking their mommas should have given them" mean? Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
"Problems of Art" - In what way does this story deal with the fate of blacks in a white-controlled judicial system? Do you believe Mrs. Farragot was wise to insist on a white attorney? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"The Story of a Scar"- In what ways does the woman believe men should think about women? How does this compare to how the narrator (a man) points out they do think about women? In what way do these ideas relate to how the story ends?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)