|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Billy goes into the general store to buy an orange soda?
2. When are the pay-ups that R.V. is requesting due?
3. What two things does Curtis suggest Willis do when he is worried about the Henry Street Guys?
4. What comment does Mrs. Boswell make about the narrator?
5. When does Willis say that it is crazy to confront someone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does R.V. says in the only concern for Willis and R.V.?
2. What does R.V. guarantee Willis and what does Willis plan to do with his guarantee?
3. What does William feel obliged to do for Billy and why does he feel obliged to do it?
4. Why is Tarwell considering hiring Butler and how does Butler feel about this?
5. As Gloria sees it what defines the people as southerners and northern?
6. What does the narrator say that the best men do and do not?
7. What kind of person is Billy?
8. What does Butler forbid in his shop and why does he forbid them?
9. What is Butler's obsession that becomes his theme as he delivers his sermons?
10. What does the woman say Billy would need to do to be able to get promoted and how does he spend his time instead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Why I like Country Music" - In what ways is square dancing used as a symbol of differing world views? What are these views? Which view do you best relate to and why?
Essay Topic 2
"Elbow Room"-In what ways is race discussed in this story? Why do you think this story was placed last in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
"Widows and Orphans"- How does Louis view Clair? How does Clair view Louis? In what ways do these two views coincide? In what ways do they differ?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)