|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the congregation members feel about Butler's sermons?
2. What is Billy Renfro accomplished at doing?
3. What does "everyone" know that Slick is in to?
4. What does Winfield surprise Milford by telling him?
5. What does Mrs. Farragot explain to her attorney about Winfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do some people say about Dewey?
2. What does Milford's brief say about his client and what does this seem to contradict?
3. When does the meeting in Chicago occur in Billy's life?
4. What doesn't Mrs. Boswell abide and for what is she determined to prepare the boys?
5. What does the narrator say that the best men do and do not?
6. How does Gloria's husband feel about square dancing and why is it surprising he feels this way?
7. What does R.V. says in the only concern for Willis and R.V.?
8. What complaint does Butler have about young blacks?
9. What does the woman say about men?
10. What happens when Willis Davis tries to join the Henry Street guys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Elbow Room"-In what ways is race discussed in this story? Why do you think this story was placed last in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
"Problems of Art" - In what way does this story deal with the fate of blacks in a white-controlled judicial system? Do you believe Mrs. Farragot was wise to insist on a white attorney? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"The Silver Bullet" - What does the phrase "Everyone gets the spanking their mommas should have given them" mean? Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)