|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "everyone" know that Slick is in to?
2. Why is Tarwell considering hiring Butler as an assistant pastor?
3. For what was Mrs. Farragot arrested?
4. What two things resurrect the narrator's memory of Gweneth?
5. Which character is nicknamed Eldorado?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Willis Davis tries to join the Henry Street guys?
2. What does the woman say Billy would need to do to be able to get promoted and how does he spend his time instead?
3. What is Butler's obsession that becomes his theme as he delivers his sermons?
4. What happens when the narrator of this story asks the woman sitting in the waiting room how she got the scar on her face?
5. As Gloria sees it what defines the people as southerners and northern?
6. What does Milford's brief say about his client and what does this seem to contradict?
7. When does the meeting in Chicago occur in Billy's life?
8. Describe Gweneth Lawson as seen through the narrator's eyes.
9. What complaint does Butler have about young blacks?
10. What information about Mrs. Farragot's history does Milford have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"A Sense of Story" - In this story the judge demands that the rules of society apply to people of all races equally. Why was this a new concept? Do you think a judge would need to demand this today? Do you believe there is still racial inequality in the judicial system? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
"Problems of Art" -The story ended with the reader learning that Mrs. Farragot had indeed been drinking. Did you find this surprising? Why or why not? Do you think she was drunk the night of the incident? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Widows and Orphans"- How does Louis view Clair? How does Clair view Louis? In what ways do these two views coincide? In what ways do they differ?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)