|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of this story?
2. What does May Day mean each year?
3. What was the occupation of Billy and William's namesake?
4. What does the narrator believe Mrs. Boswell is encouraging him to challenge?
5. What profession does Corliss Milford practice?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Gloria sees it what defines the people as southerners and northern?
2. What factors does Butler spend his afternoon thinking about in regards to his situation?
3. What complaint does Butler have about young blacks?
4. What does the narrator say that the best men do and do not?
5. What does Leon become a rival for with the author and how does he show up the author?
6. Describe the scar on the woman that fascinates the narrator.
7. How does Gloria's husband feel about square dancing and why is it surprising he feels this way?
8. What do some people say about Dewey?
9. What does R.V. says in the only concern for Willis and R.V.?
10. What kind of person is Billy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"I Am an American"- In what way is the character of Leon a good Samaritan? In what ways does Leon rely on stereotypes? What prejudices are shown in this novel? How are they demonstrated?
Essay Topic 2
"A Loaf of Bread" - How are the concepts of economics and psychology discussed in this story? Which is more prevalently discussed? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
"The Silver Bullet" - In what way does this story show that everyone is corrupt? Do you agree that there is much more corruption in society? Why or why not?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)