|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator's father refuse to write him another note?
2. Why is Corliss waiting in Mary Farragot's apartment?
3. What does Dewey say will happen if Willis cooperates with R.V.?
4. Why does Willis have to avoid Bertha, the cook?
5. What is Billy Renfro accomplished at doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Milford's brief say about his client and what does this seem to contradict?
2. What does the woman say about men?
3. What happens when the narrator of this story asks the woman sitting in the waiting room how she got the scar on her face?
4. As Gloria sees it what defines the people as southerners and northern?
5. What does R.V. says in the only concern for Willis and R.V.?
6. Describe Gweneth Lawson as seen through the narrator's eyes.
7. Why is Tarwell considering hiring Butler and how does Butler feel about this?
8. Why does the officer assume Mrs. Farragot is drunk and what happens when he tries to confirm it?
9. What factors does Butler spend his afternoon thinking about in regards to his situation?
10. Describe the three pictures Milford looks at while he waits for Mrs. Farragot to arrive.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"A Loaf of Bread" - Of what are Brown and the white bread symbolic? Who do you think was right, Nelson, Harold, or neither? Why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 2
"The Story of a Scar"- What do you believe are the three major themes of this story? Do you believe this is a love story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Widows and Orphans"- How does Louis view Clair? How does Clair view Louis? In what ways do these two views coincide? In what ways do they differ?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)