|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Marie Gilmore attend Butler's church?
2. Which of the following doesn't Tommy's father threaten to do to Butler?
3. What does Winfield surprise Milford by telling him?
4. What happens to Teddy when he fights for the knife after the woman is stabbed?
5. Who is the narrator of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scar on the woman that fascinates the narrator.
2. What does Leon become a rival for with the author and how does he show up the author?
3. Describe Gloria in regards to her views on country music and the south. Be sure to include where she is from.
4. What is Butler's obsession that becomes his theme as he delivers his sermons?
5. What happens to Billy's parents and the relationship between Billy and William?
6. What kind of person is Billy?
7. What happens when Billy tries to buy an orange soda at a general store in South Carolina?
8. What do some people say about Dewey?
9. Describe Gweneth Lawson as seen through the narrator's eyes.
10. When the man with the massive tiara of black hair looks into Butler's shop, what does Butler offer him and how does the man respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Why I like Country Music" - In what ways is square dancing used as a symbol of differing world views? What are these views? Which view do you best relate to and why?
Essay Topic 2
"The Faithful" - In this story, the main character views his community (the black community) as being divided by their family origins. Do you agree that family origins can divide a community? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"A Loaf of Bread" - Of what are Brown and the white bread symbolic? Who do you think was right, Nelson, Harold, or neither? Why do you think this way?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)