|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did Tommy pay for his haircut?
2. Why does Ray say he is moving to a new parlor?
3. How does Butler reply when Ella says she should have married someone different?
4. What does Billy do during his lunch break at the post office?
5. What does Billy say that he learned in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information about Mrs. Farragot's history does Milford have?
2. What does R.V. guarantee Willis and what does Willis plan to do with his guarantee?
3. What does Mrs. Farragot do that causes someone to call the police?
4. Describe Gweneth Lawson as seen through the narrator's eyes.
5. What doesn't Mrs. Boswell abide and for what is she determined to prepare the boys?
6. When the man with the massive tiara of black hair looks into Butler's shop, what does Butler offer him and how does the man respond?
7. What does the narrator say that the best men do and do not?
8. What is Willis confused about in regards to joining the Henry Street guys?
9. What happens to Billy's parents and the relationship between Billy and William?
10. What does Milford's brief say about his client and what does this seem to contradict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Story of a Dead Man" - In what way are the two main characters in this story alike? In what ways are they different? Why do you think one would become an accomplished liar? What would make a person become an accomplished liar?
Essay Topic 2
"Widows and Orphans"- In what ways does this story look at blacks who have escaped the rural life in a disparaging manner? Do you believe this view still exists today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"The Silver Bullet" - In what way does this story show that everyone is corrupt? Do you agree that there is much more corruption in society? Why or why not?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)