|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ray say he is moving to a new parlor?
2. Which of the following characters dismisses country music as a valid art form?
3. What does Red say the other workers are feeling since she started dating Billy?
4. Why does the narrator want to go back to square dancing?
5. What does Billy do while William finishes school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the three pictures Milford looks at while he waits for Mrs. Farragot to arrive.
2. What does Mrs. Farragot do that causes someone to call the police?
3. What happens when Billy tries to buy an orange soda at a general store in South Carolina?
4. How does Gloria's husband feel about square dancing and why is it surprising he feels this way?
5. What complaint does Butler have about young blacks?
6. What factors does Butler spend his afternoon thinking about in regards to his situation?
7. What does Winfield say he was doing until he saw Mrs. Farragot run out of her house?
8. What is Butler's obsession that becomes his theme as he delivers his sermons?
9. Describe Gloria in regards to her views on country music and the south. Be sure to include where she is from.
10. What does the woman say about men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Just Enough for the City" - Why do the evangelists become frustrated with the narrator? How does this story portray the black narrator? Why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 2
"A Sense of Story" - In this story the judge demands that the rules of society apply to people of all races equally. Why was this a new concept? Do you think a judge would need to demand this today? Do you believe there is still racial inequality in the judicial system? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"A Loaf of Bread" - How are the concepts of economics and psychology discussed in this story? Which is more prevalently discussed? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)