|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Though the narrator says that he finds companionship wherever he can, he claims he is not what?
2. What is Butler's regular complaint?
3. What does the father of the girl Billy impregnates insist?
4. Which character is nicknamed Eldorado?
5. Why is Tarwell considering hiring Butler as an assistant pastor?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the meeting in Chicago occur in Billy's life?
2. What kind of person is Billy?
3. Describe Red Bone and what she tells the woman about Billy.
4. How does Gloria's husband feel about square dancing and why is it surprising he feels this way?
5. Where do people say Billy died and what is the truth?
6. Why is Tarwell considering hiring Butler and how does Butler feel about this?
7. As Gloria sees it what defines the people as southerners and northern?
8. What is Butler's obsession that becomes his theme as he delivers his sermons?
9. What does the woman say about men?
10. What does Milford's brief say about his client and what does this seem to contradict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"A Loaf of Bread" - Of what are Brown and the white bread symbolic? Who do you think was right, Nelson, Harold, or neither? Why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 2
"A Sense of Story" - In this story the judge demands that the rules of society apply to people of all races equally. Why was this a new concept? Do you think a judge would need to demand this today? Do you believe there is still racial inequality in the judicial system? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Widows and Orphans"- How does Louis view Clair? How does Clair view Louis? In what ways do these two views coincide? In what ways do they differ?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)