|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Willis have to avoid Bertha, the cook?
2. What was the occupation of Billy and William's namesake?
3. What does Butler consider the processes being worn by other black men, but don't imitate the whites?
4. Why does the narrator's father refuse to write him another note?
5. What does Dewey insist Willis must do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Butler's obsession that becomes his theme as he delivers his sermons?
2. Describe the three pictures Milford looks at while he waits for Mrs. Farragot to arrive.
3. When does the meeting in Chicago occur in Billy's life?
4. What does Mrs. Farragot do that causes someone to call the police?
5. What happens when the narrator of this story asks the woman sitting in the waiting room how she got the scar on her face?
6. What happens when Billy tries to buy an orange soda at a general store in South Carolina?
7. What do some people say about Dewey?
8. What kind of person is Billy?
9. What does Milford's brief say about his client and what does this seem to contradict?
10. What is Willis confused about in regards to joining the Henry Street guys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Story of a Dead Man" - In what way are the two main characters in this story alike? In what ways are they different? Why do you think one would become an accomplished liar? What would make a person become an accomplished liar?
Essay Topic 2
"The Silver Bullet" - What does the phrase "Everyone gets the spanking their mommas should have given them" mean? Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"A Loaf of Bread" - How are the concepts of economics and psychology discussed in this story? Which is more prevalently discussed? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)