|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When are the pay-ups that R.V. is requesting due?
2. What does Tommy's father say his son's new haircut is like?
3. What does Jones admit to being and also to never being?
4. What does the narrator believe Mrs. Boswell is encouraging him to challenge?
5. What is Harper's farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harold's wife, Ruth, demand he do and if he doesn't follow through, what does she say will happen?
2. When Mrs. Richards bets a woman is fattening Louis up for the fry, about what does Louis think?
3. What does Ruth want to advise Harold to do and what does she do instead?
4. What does Leon say that causes her to call her husband a bigot?
5. What does Paul do after months of silence at the mental hospital?
6. What doesn't Mrs. Boswell abide and for what is she determined to prepare the boys?
7. What information about Mrs. Farragot's history does Milford have?
8. How does Willis confront Jones and what does Willis say to him?
9. What does the narrator say great literature has given way to?
10. What does Butler forbid in his shop and why does he forbid them?
Essay Topic 1
"Elbow Room"-In what ways is race discussed in this story? Why do you think this story was placed last in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
"A Sense of Story"- Why do you think Charles confessed at the beginning of the story? Do you believe the conflict between Charles and the victim ran deeper? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"A Loaf of Bread" - How are the concepts of economics and psychology discussed in this story? Which is more prevalently discussed? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)