|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the occupation of Billy and William's namesake?
2. What does Butler consider the processes being worn by other black men, but don't imitate the whites?
3. What does the narrator believe Mrs. Boswell is encouraging him to challenge?
4. Why does Mrs. Boswell tell Leon he cannot go out to dance?
5. What happens to Teddy when he fights for the knife after the woman is stabbed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tarwell considering hiring Butler and how does Butler feel about this?
2. What does Mrs. Farragot do that causes someone to call the police?
3. What complaint does Butler have about young blacks?
4. Where do people say Billy died and what is the truth?
5. What does William feel obliged to do for Billy and why does he feel obliged to do it?
6. What happens when Willis Davis tries to join the Henry Street guys?
7. Describe the three pictures Milford looks at while he waits for Mrs. Farragot to arrive.
8. What factors does Butler spend his afternoon thinking about in regards to his situation?
9. What does the narrator say that the best men do and do not?
10. Why does the officer assume Mrs. Farragot is drunk and what happens when he tries to confirm it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Silver Bullet" - What does the phrase "Everyone gets the spanking their mommas should have given them" mean? Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
"Why I like Country Music" - What role does love play in this story? In what way are stereotypes developed through this story? What role does one's culture during their formative years play into understanding others?
Essay Topic 3
"A Sense of Story" - In this story the judge demands that the rules of society apply to people of all races equally. Why was this a new concept? Do you think a judge would need to demand this today? Do you believe there is still racial inequality in the judicial system? Why or why not?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)