|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man do to R.V. that causes him to order Aubrey to take him out?
2. What is Butler's regular complaint?
3. What position does Ralston have?
4. Why do many of the boys get off at Gweneth's stop?
5. What does Red say the other workers are feeling since she started dating Billy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of person is Billy?
2. Describe Gweneth Lawson as seen through the narrator's eyes.
3. When the man with the massive tiara of black hair looks into Butler's shop, what does Butler offer him and how does the man respond?
4. What does Leon become a rival for with the author and how does he show up the author?
5. What does William feel obliged to do for Billy and why does he feel obliged to do it?
6. Describe the scar on the woman that fascinates the narrator.
7. What does Mrs. Farragot do that causes someone to call the police?
8. Where do people say Billy died and what is the truth?
9. As Gloria sees it what defines the people as southerners and northern?
10. How does Gloria's husband feel about square dancing and why is it surprising he feels this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Silver Bullet" - What does the phrase "Everyone gets the spanking their mommas should have given them" mean? Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
"Widows and Orphans"- In what ways does this story look at blacks who have escaped the rural life in a disparaging manner? Do you believe this view still exists today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Elbow Room"- Do you believe the baby should be white and blind or black and self-blinded? Which is the better situation? Why do you feel that way?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)