|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May Day mean each year?
2. Who is looking for Billy at the end of the tale?
3. What was the most important question that the narrator wants to ask?
4. With what does Wilson have an odd fascination?
5. How does the author describe Mrs. Farragot as Milfird sees her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the three pictures Milford looks at while he waits for Mrs. Farragot to arrive.
2. Why is Tarwell considering hiring Butler and how does Butler feel about this?
3. Describe Gweneth Lawson as seen through the narrator's eyes.
4. How does Gloria's husband feel about square dancing and why is it surprising he feels this way?
5. What is Willis confused about in regards to joining the Henry Street guys?
6. What happens to Billy's parents and the relationship between Billy and William?
7. What does the narrator say that the best men do and do not?
8. What does the woman say about men?
9. What is Butler's obsession that becomes his theme as he delivers his sermons?
10. What doesn't Mrs. Boswell abide and for what is she determined to prepare the boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Faithful" - In this story, the main character views his community (the black community) as being divided by their family origins. Do you agree that family origins can divide a community? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
"The Silver Bullet" - In what way does this story show that everyone is corrupt? Do you agree that there is much more corruption in society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"I Am an American"- In what way is the character of Leon a good Samaritan? In what ways does Leon rely on stereotypes? What prejudices are shown in this novel? How are they demonstrated?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)