|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Teddy when he fights for the knife after the woman is stabbed?
2. Why is Tarwell considering hiring Butler as an assistant pastor?
3. After whom are Billy and William named?
4. What is Billy's job at Dillingham Automotives, Inc.?
5. Who does Mrs. Boswell use as her foil when telling the boys how to find wives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do people say Billy died and what is the truth?
2. Describe the scar on the woman that fascinates the narrator.
3. How does Charles seem to others and what does this lead people to think about the events that lead to his trial?
4. Describe the Redeemer's friends as he sees them.
5. What does William feel obliged to do for Billy and why does he feel obliged to do it?
6. What happens when Charles interrupts his attorney's summation?
7. When the man with the massive tiara of black hair looks into Butler's shop, what does Butler offer him and how does the man respond?
8. What happens to Billy's parents and the relationship between Billy and William?
9. What does R.V. guarantee Willis and what does Willis plan to do with his guarantee?
10. What happens when the narrator of this story asks the woman sitting in the waiting room how she got the scar on her face?
Essay Topic 1
"The Story of a Dead Man" - In what way are the two main characters in this story alike? In what ways are they different? Why do you think one would become an accomplished liar? What would make a person become an accomplished liar?
Essay Topic 2
"A Sense of Story" - In this story the judge demands that the rules of society apply to people of all races equally. Why was this a new concept? Do you think a judge would need to demand this today? Do you believe there is still racial inequality in the judicial system? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Widows and Orphans"- How does Louis view Clair? How does Clair view Louis? In what ways do these two views coincide? In what ways do they differ?
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)