|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the narrator compare the woman's wig and pantsuit?
2. What does Jones admit to being and also to never being?
3. With what does Wilson have an odd fascination?
4. About what do Farragot and Milford hear Wilson reprimand Smothers?
5. What does Milford dislike in Mrs. Farragot's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Butler forbid in his shop and why does he forbid them?
2. When the man with the massive tiara of black hair looks into Butler's shop, what does Butler offer him and how does the man respond?
3. What does William feel obliged to do for Billy and why does he feel obliged to do it?
4. What is Butler's obsession that becomes his theme as he delivers his sermons?
5. What complaint does Butler have about young blacks?
6. Why is Tarwell considering hiring Butler and how does Butler feel about this?
7. Describe Gloria in regards to her views on country music and the south. Be sure to include where she is from.
8. What doesn't Mrs. Boswell abide and for what is she determined to prepare the boys?
9. What does the woman say Billy would need to do to be able to get promoted and how does he spend his time instead?
10. Describe Red Bone and what she tells the woman about Billy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Problems of Art" - In what way does this story deal with the fate of blacks in a white-controlled judicial system? Do you believe Mrs. Farragot was wise to insist on a white attorney? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
"A Loaf of Bread" - How are the concepts of economics and psychology discussed in this story? Which is more prevalently discussed? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
"Elbow Room"-In what ways is race discussed in this story? Why do you think this story was placed last in the novel?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)