|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the scar does the woman hope can be fixed?
2. What was the most important question that the narrator wants to ask?
3. To what does the woman compare the scar?
4. Why is Corliss waiting in Mary Farragot's apartment?
5. Where does Leon get the impression that Gweneth likes to hear boys blow their own horns?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does R.V. guarantee Willis and what does Willis plan to do with his guarantee?
2. Why does the officer assume Mrs. Farragot is drunk and what happens when he tries to confirm it?
3. Describe the three pictures Milford looks at while he waits for Mrs. Farragot to arrive.
4. As Gloria sees it what defines the people as southerners and northern?
5. What does Milford's brief say about his client and what does this seem to contradict?
6. What kind of person is Billy?
7. Describe the scar on the woman that fascinates the narrator.
8. Describe Gloria in regards to her views on country music and the south. Be sure to include where she is from.
9. What does Mrs. Farragot do that causes someone to call the police?
10. What does Winfield say he was doing until he saw Mrs. Farragot run out of her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"A Loaf of Bread" - How are the concepts of economics and psychology discussed in this story? Which is more prevalently discussed? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
"Problems of Art" -The story ended with the reader learning that Mrs. Farragot had indeed been drinking. Did you find this surprising? Why or why not? Do you think she was drunk the night of the incident? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"A Sense of Story"- Why do you think Charles confessed at the beginning of the story? Do you believe the conflict between Charles and the victim ran deeper? Why or why not?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)