|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following women does Louis know he loves?
2. What does Thomas use to sell insurances policies?
(a) Death as a long happiness.
(c) Reactions to others.
(d) Fears and love.
3. What does Charles ask Johnson that Plinkett witnessed?
(a) Is it time?
(b) How much longer?
(c) Why are you still here?
(d) When is my chance?
4. Why is Paul attracted to Ginny?
(a) Her mind and exotic nature.
(b) Her outward display of strength.
(c) Her well-developed sense of humor.
(d) Her amazing beauty.
5. What does the speaker say that everything has?
(a) A price.
(b) A purpose.
(c) A need.
(d) A desire.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Charles on trial?
2. What happens when Paul is transferred to Oakland, CA?
3. Why did Pinkett suggest Charles get a new job?
4. To where does the bobby indicate Leon should hurry?
5. Why does the narrator head for the East?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harold's wife, Ruth, demand he do and if he doesn't follow through, what does she say will happen?
2. Why does the editor feel obliged to impose order on the piece of writing in front of him?
3. What does the narrator say great literature has given way to?
4. What does Ruth want to advise Harold to do and what does she do instead?
5. How does Charles seem to others and what does this lead people to think about the events that lead to his trial?
6. What does Charles do that is unlike Detroit-born mechanics and what does he think will happen as a result of this?
7. What does the narrator say to those who come to him telling him that anything not in the Bible is false?
8. What happens when Charles interrupts his attorney's summation?
9. How does Leon describe his landlady?
10. What does Clair talk about during her part of the dinner?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)