|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator like to do but not do?
(a) Open packages that are not for him.
(b) Taste new foods but not pay for them.
(c) Listen to the preachers but not believe.
(d) Read magazines but not buy them.
2. What does Daniel warn Paul about his daughter?
(a) Not to let her forget her heritage.
(b) Not to believe what she says.
(c) Not to treat her like a plaything.
(d) Not to take advantage of her.
3. Why did Pinkett suggest Charles get a new job?
(a) Charles cannot get along.
(b) Charles is too smart.
(c) Pinkett wants Charles to succeed.
(d) Jones won't give Charles a fair chance.
4. Why does Charles's lawyer want his crime to be called manslaughter?
(a) To avoid the death penalty.
(b) Because Charles won't tell him what happened.
(c) Because of extenuating circumstances.
(d) To increase his fees.
5. What does Charles ask Johnson that Plinkett witnessed?
(a) Why are you still here?
(b) Is it time?
(c) When is my chance?
(d) How much longer?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ginny do from the time she was 19 until she turned 22?
2. What does Clair have a command of that Louis admires?
3. Why is Paul attracted to Ginny?
4. To what are Leon and Eunice summoned?
5. Why does the character Paul Frost, leave Kansas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the editor feel obliged to impose order on the piece of writing in front of him?
2. Who is Nelson Reed and what does he become?
3. What does Charles do that is unlike Detroit-born mechanics and what does he think will happen as a result of this?
4. Describe the Redeemer's friends as he sees them.
5. What does Clair talk about during her part of the dinner?
6. What does Ruth want to advise Harold to do and what does she do instead?
7. What makes Eunice wonder about the hotel's breakfast calls?
8. What does Paul do after months of silence at the mental hospital?
9. Where does this story take place?
10. What is the first parable about the narrator shares?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)