|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Farragot ask Winfield to speak good English?
(a) To ensure there is no miscommunication.
(b) To show that black men can be educated.
(c) To show her lawyer that he can.
(d) Because white people otherwise do not understand.
2. What does Willis say to R.V.?
(a) Curtis sent me.
(b) The Henry Street Gang is going to kill me.
(c) I got a problem in community relations.
(d) I need your help.
3. What happens when Billy goes into the general store to buy an orange soda?
(a) He is kidnapped and held captive for a month.
(b) The owner refuses to serve him.
(c) He holds up the owner of the store.
(d) He dies in a gunfight.
4. What does the narrator tell Mrs. Boswell at recess that makes her laugh?
(a) That he would rather be a plaiter.
(b) That he wants to be partners with Gweneth.
(c) That Leon hurt him.
(d) That he cannot dance.
5. When does Willis say that it is crazy to confront someone?
(a) When they have nothing to lose or give.
(b) When others are watching.
(c) When they work for Slick.
(d) When their hands are hidden under a counter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the occupation of Billy and William's namesake?
2. Why does the narrator's father refuse to write him another note?
3. What does Billy do as the prison guard leads him away?
4. Why did Marie Gilmore attend Butler's church?
5. What does Jones admit to being and also to never being?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Willis confused about in regards to joining the Henry Street guys?
2. What happens to Billy's parents and the relationship between Billy and William?
3. What complaint does Butler have about young blacks?
4. What does William feel obliged to do for Billy and why does he feel obliged to do it?
5. What does R.V. says in the only concern for Willis and R.V.?
6. What is Butler's obsession that becomes his theme as he delivers his sermons?
7. What information about Mrs. Farragot's history does Milford have?
8. Describe Gloria in regards to her views on country music and the south. Be sure to include where she is from.
9. When the man with the massive tiara of black hair looks into Butler's shop, what does Butler offer him and how does the man respond?
10. What kind of person is Billy?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)