|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the narrator compare the woman's wig and pantsuit?
(a) An open door in a hotel room.
(b) A flashing neon light.
(c) A purple Cadillac.
(d) A big dog.
2. Why does the narrator want to go back to square dancing?
(a) To trip Leon and teach him a lesson.
(b) To show everyone that he can do what his father says he can't.
(c) To get one swing with Gweneth.
(d) To avoid having to be with Queen Rose.
3. What does Billy do while William finishes school?
(a) Starts a farm.
(b) Drives garbage truck.
(c) Goes to school.
(d) Becomes a preacher.
4. Who is the narrator of the story?
(a) The nurse.
(b) The doctor.
(c) A patient.
(d) The secretary.
5. Why does Teddy start logging overtime?
(a) To spy on Red and the woman.
(b) To be around when the nightshift breaks for lunch.
(c) To make more money from his gambling.
(d) To talk to Billy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things resurrect the narrator's memory of Gweneth?
2. Which of the following characters seems deeply moved by Farragot's story?
3. What does Gweneth do to the narrator that he laughs at as he remembers it much later?
4. Why does the narrator's father refuse to write him another note?
5. What comment does Mrs. Boswell make about the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Butler forbid in his shop and why does he forbid them?
2. How does Willis confront Jones and what does Willis say to him?
3. What does the woman say about men?
4. Why is Tarwell considering hiring Butler and how does Butler feel about this?
5. What happens when Willis Davis tries to join the Henry Street guys?
6. Where do people say Billy died and what is the truth?
7. When does the meeting in Chicago occur in Billy's life?
8. What does the narrator say that the best men do and do not?
9. What complaint does Butler have about young blacks?
10. What does Leon become a rival for with the author and how does he show up the author?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)