|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator's father refuse to write him another note?
(a) He is tired of the boy changing his mind.
(b) He does not want him singing.
(c) He spent a lot of money on his outfit.
(d) He thinks it will help him get over Gweneth.
2. What does Winfield surprise Milford by telling him?
(a) That the judge did not like him.
(b) That he already knew the outcome of the trial.
(c) That he knew the officer.
(d) That Mrs. Farragot enjoys drinking bourbon.
3. What does Red say the other workers are feeling since she started dating Billy?
(a) They like her more.
(b) They resent her attitude.
(c) They think they are out for a fall.
(d) They envy her.
4. How do Billy's enemies feel?
5. What does Billy say that he learned in the war?
(b) How to spy on people.
(c) Ways to hurt others.
(d) Explosive technology.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the scar go that is on the woman in the waiting room?
2. What happens when Billy goes into the general store to buy an orange soda?
3. What does Butler consider the processes being worn by other black men, but don't imitate the whites?
4. With what does Wilson have an odd fascination?
5. What two things resurrect the narrator's memory of Gweneth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say that he is enough of a realist to accept?
2. What is Butler's obsession that becomes his theme as he delivers his sermons?
3. What happens when Charles interrupts his attorney's summation?
4. How does Charles seem to others and what does this lead people to think about the events that lead to his trial?
5. What happens when Billy tries to buy an orange soda at a general store in South Carolina?
6. Describe Gloria in regards to her views on country music and the south. Be sure to include where she is from.
7. What complaint does Butler have about young blacks?
8. What does Charles do that is unlike Detroit-born mechanics and what does he think will happen as a result of this?
9. What does Paul do after months of silence at the mental hospital?
10. What is the first parable about the narrator shares?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)