|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tommy's father say his son's new haircut is like?
(a) Plantation Negro.
(b) Uneven and ugly.
(c) One from the 1800s.
(d) New age.
2. Why does Teddy start logging overtime?
(a) To make more money from his gambling.
(b) To be around when the nightshift breaks for lunch.
(c) To spy on Red and the woman.
(d) To talk to Billy.
3. Who is looking for Billy at the end of the tale?
(d) Inner City.
4. What does Ella ask God?
(a) Why she stays with the man.
(b) Why she married a man with such a hard head.
(c) Why he won't give Tarwell a chance.
(d) Why he won't listen to her.
5. How do the congregation members feel about Butler's sermons?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Butler believe shaping the hair of boys does for them?
2. What does Gweneth do to the narrator that he laughs at as he remembers it much later?
3. What two things does Curtis suggest Willis do when he is worried about the Henry Street Guys?
4. Which character is nicknamed Eldorado?
5. What does R.V. remind Jones that they are?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tarwell considering hiring Butler and how does Butler feel about this?
2. What happens when Willis Davis tries to join the Henry Street guys?
3. When the man with the massive tiara of black hair looks into Butler's shop, what does Butler offer him and how does the man respond?
4. What kind of person is Billy?
5. Describe Gweneth Lawson as seen through the narrator's eyes.
6. Where do people say Billy died and what is the truth?
7. What is Willis confused about in regards to joining the Henry Street guys?
8. What does R.V. says in the only concern for Willis and R.V.?
9. What happens to Billy's parents and the relationship between Billy and William?
10. What complaint does Butler have about young blacks?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)