|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Pinkett suggest Charles get a new job?
(a) Charles is too smart.
(b) Charles cannot get along.
(c) Jones won't give Charles a fair chance.
(d) Pinkett wants Charles to succeed.
2. How many days did Charles sit silently at his murder trial?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 6 days.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 3 days.
3. Why is the narrator told he must submit?
(a) He is a descendant of Mohammed's beloved.
(b) He is of German descent.
(c) He is too successful and has become proud.
(d) He has looked at a woman's body who is not his wife's.
4. Why does the judge's secretary tell him he must shine at the meeting?
(a) Political reasons.
(b) To overcome the case.
(c) To help with race relations.
(d) To protect Charles.
5. What does Mrs. Richards say when Louis asks if Clair is close to anyone?
(a) She has a man who she loves dearly.
(b) She is looking or someone with whom to fall in love.
(c) She is dating someone secretly.
(d) She has never been close to anyone in her life.
6. In what month did Ginny and Paul get married?
7. Where does the narrator believe is the safest possible place?
8. Why did Clair invite Louis to Los Angeles?
(a) To see the sights.
(b) To meet her mother.
(c) To watch her act in a movie.
(d) To plan the wedding.
9. Why does Mr. G. block unemployment?
(a) To keep people from learning about the side business.
(b) To teach his employees a lesson.
(c) He can save money that way.
(d) He doesn't believe in hand outs.
10. To what does the author say that great myths have been reduced?
(a) Great literature.
11. What is Paul's means of redeeming family?
12. Why does the narrator head for the East?
(a) This is the new Mecca and he is drawn there.
(b) He is obliged to go there.
(c) Words have detached from emotion and passion.
(d) It is softer there.
13. What does the speaker say that everything has?
(a) A purpose.
(b) A price.
(c) A need.
(d) A desire.
14. For what is Charles on trial?
15. Who does the narrator say work in the neighborhood?
(a) A variety of evangelists.
(b) Non-believers and truthsayers.
(c) Liars and cheats.
(d) Marketers who do not listen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louis keep thinking of as he attends the dinner?
2. To what are Leon and Eunice summoned?
3. What does the sane man in the parable realize when he is given the vision of clarity?
4. What is Ruth waiting for an opening to tell Harold?
5. What name does Fredricka prefer not to be called?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)