|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Thomas and Harold think they need to explain to Nelson?
(a) Race relations.
(b) Ethics of profit.
(c) The need to work together for publicity.
(d) Justified realizations.
2. How does Rogers characterize Charles's talent?
(a) It is his greatest shortcomings.
(b) It is amazing and underdeveloped.
(c) It does not match his ambitions.
(d) It is lacking.
3. Why is Paul attracted to Ginny?
(a) Her amazing beauty.
(b) Her well-developed sense of humor.
(c) Her mind and exotic nature.
(d) Her outward display of strength.
4. What subject did Thomas love in college?
5. For what does Nelson claim to be a sucker?
(a) The belief that things will change.
(b) Harold's price schemes.
(c) Words of Jesus.
(d) The white man's supremacy.
6. Where does the narrator believe is the safest possible place?
7. Why does Mr. G. block unemployment?
(a) He can save money that way.
(b) To keep people from learning about the side business.
(c) To teach his employees a lesson.
(d) He doesn't believe in hand outs.
8. Why does the narrator value Ginny?
(a) For her stories.
(b) For her wit.
(c) For her mind.
(d) For her beauty.
9. Which of the following women does Louis know he loves?
10. How long ago did Jones first notice trouble between Charles and Johnson?
(a) 8 years ago.
(b) 1 year ago.
(c) He never noticed trouble between them.
(d) 2 weeks ago.
11. Why did Pinkett suggest Charles get a new job?
(a) Charles is too smart.
(b) Pinkett wants Charles to succeed.
(c) Charles cannot get along.
(d) Jones won't give Charles a fair chance.
12. What does Louis keep thinking of as he attends the dinner?
13. What happens when Paul is transferred to Oakland, CA?
(a) He marries a black girl.
(b) He is attacked by a stranger.
(c) He immediately asks for a transfer to Tennessee.
(d) He begins working in a mental hospital.
14. What does Viola complain that Louis has done?
(a) Gotten there before her.
(b) Chosen the wrong restaurant.
(c) Changed the way his hair was cut.
(d) Shaved his beard.
15. When Ginny apologizes for Paul to the narrator what does she accuse the narrator of doing?
(a) Waiting too long to approach them.
(b) Provoking Paul.
(c) Being unwilling to forgive.
(d) Giving up his own faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the narrator's favorite waitress fired?
2. What does the narrator ask the missionaries to tell him without looking in their Bibles?
3. What did Ginny do from the time she was 19 until she turned 22?
4. What name does Fredricka prefer not to be called?
5. What does Mrs. Richards say when Louis asks if Clair is close to anyone?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)