|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator's father refuse to write him another note?
(a) He spent a lot of money on his outfit.
(b) He does not want him singing.
(c) He is tired of the boy changing his mind.
(d) He thinks it will help him get over Gweneth.
2. What is Billy Renfro accomplished at doing?
3. How did the narrator indicate he hurt his nose?
(a) While making love.
(b) While working .
(c) While riding a bike.
(d) While running after his child.
4. Who else does R.V. say supports them?
(a) Church goers.
5. How much did Tommy pay for his haircut?
6. To what does the woman compare the scar?
(a) A badge of honor.
(b) A wedding ring.
(c) A reminder.
(d) A disfigurement.
7. What two things resurrect the narrator's memory of Gweneth?
(a) Square dancing and spurs.
(b) Lemon and country music.
(c) May poles and laughter.
(d) Jangles and Brooklyn.
8. What does R.V. tell them at Slick's that Willis is?
(b) Community collector.
(d) Relations officer.
9. What does Billy say that he learned in the war?
(b) Explosive technology.
(c) How to spy on people.
(d) Ways to hurt others.
10. Why did Marie Gilmore attend Butler's church?
(a) To ask for others to leave the church.
(b) To listen to the sermon.
(c) To question him.
(d) To make fun of Butler.
11. Why is Tarwell considering hiring Butler as an assistant pastor?
(a) So Tarwell can go into politics.
(b) To allow the two congregations to join.
(c) To rejoin the black community.
(d) To make Butler feel useful.
12. Why does Mrs. Boswell tell Leon he cannot go out to dance?
(a) He doesn't know the steps.
(b) He has razors on his shoes.
(c) He was too rude and mean to the narrator.
(d) He makes to much noise.
13. What does Winfield surprise Milford by telling him?
(a) That the judge did not like him.
(b) That he already knew the outcome of the trial.
(c) That Mrs. Farragot enjoys drinking bourbon.
(d) That he knew the officer.
14. When does Willis say that it is crazy to confront someone?
(a) When their hands are hidden under a counter.
(b) When they work for Slick.
(c) When they have nothing to lose or give.
(d) When others are watching.
15. What does Butler believe shaping the hair of boys does for them?
(a) Works to help him stay current.
(b) Helps the community stay together.
(c) Shapes their lives.
(d) Allows for racial harmony.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jones admit to being and also to never being?
2. What does May Day mean each year?
3. Who is the narrator in this story?
4. What does Milford dislike in Mrs. Farragot's apartment?
5. What does Milford admire about Winfield?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)