|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following two professions does John Butler practice?
(a) Shoe shiner and barber.
(b) Preacher and bookie.
(c) Shoe shiner and bookie.
(d) Barber and preacher.
2. Who does Mrs. Boswell use as her foil when telling the boys how to find wives?
(a) The narrator.
3. What does R.V. remind Jones that they are?
(a) People who insist on loyalty.
(b) A group of accountants.
(c) A nonprofit community-based grass-roots organization.
(d) A gang.
4. What part of the scar does the woman hope can be fixed?
(a) The part at her chin.
(b) All of it.
(c) The part around the eye.
(d) The part on her forehead.
5. What position does Ralston have?
(a) Bank security guard.
6. What two things resurrect the narrator's memory of Gweneth?
(a) Square dancing and spurs.
(b) May poles and laughter.
(c) Jangles and Brooklyn.
(d) Lemon and country music.
7. What two things does Curtis suggest Willis do when he is worried about the Henry Street Guys?
(a) Get protection and adopt a new approach.
(b) Ask Slick to help him and talk to R.V.
(c) Hide out for a week and then try again.
(d) Move out of the city and take him with him.
8. What does Red say the other workers are feeling since she started dating Billy?
(a) They like her more.
(b) They think they are out for a fall.
(c) They envy her.
(d) They resent her attitude.
9. What does the note from the narrator's father say will happen if he has to dance?
(a) He will not show up for the show.
(b) He will cry and ruin the show.
(c) He will stand there and refuse to move.
(d) He will cause others to be hurt.
10. How many years is Billy at the farm before he is paroled?
11. What is the only thing Billy wants from William when he visits him at the farm?
(a) To stop talking and give him some gum.
(b) To help him get away from the farm.
(c) To talk about his mother.
(d) To go across the road and buy him lunch.
12. What does the narrator believe Mrs. Boswell is encouraging him to challenge?
(a) Leon's leadership.
(b) Stereotypes of men.
(c) Her teachings and rules.
(d) His father's rigid beliefs.
13. What does Billy say that he learned in the war?
(a) How to spy on people.
(c) Ways to hurt others.
(d) Explosive technology.
14. What comment does Mrs. Boswell make about the narrator?
(a) That he is the most handsome of the boys.
(b) That his outfit matches Gweneth's.
(c) That he is learning the rhythm of the thing.
(d) That he can change his role.
15. With what does Wilson have an odd fascination?
(a) Milford's silver hair.
(b) Winfield's red handkerchief.
(c) Farragot's earrings.
(d) Farragot's expression.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the woman compare the scar?
2. What is Harper's farm?
3. What does Dewey wear to show people he is fearless?
4. What was the occupation of Billy and William's namesake?
5. What does Tommy's father say his son's new haircut is like?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)