|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After whom are Billy and William named?
(b) Mother's favorite singer.
(c) Paternal grandfather.
(d) Maternal grandfather.
2. How do the congregation members feel about Butler's sermons?
3. What does Gweneth do to the narrator that he laughs at as he remembers it much later?
4. How do Billy's enemies feel?
5. Why did Marie Gilmore attend Butler's church?
(a) To listen to the sermon.
(b) To make fun of Butler.
(c) To ask for others to leave the church.
(d) To question him.
6. Why does R.V. say they should join forces?
(a) To ensure everyone is safe.
(b) For the greater good.
(c) To take down Slick.
(d) To get more money.
7. What does Milford admire about Winfield?
(a) His knowledge of the law.
(b) His understanding of the scene and actions.
(c) His devotion to his neighbor.
(d) His style and desire to look proper.
8. What does Winfield surprise Milford by telling him?
(a) That he already knew the outcome of the trial.
(b) That Mrs. Farragot enjoys drinking bourbon.
(c) That he knew the officer.
(d) That the judge did not like him.
9. What is Farragot concerned about when she whispers to Milford?
(a) Lie detectors and being railroaded.
(b) The fact that she is not allowed to speak yet.
(c) The female judge.
(d) The fact that the white officer is testifying.
10. What two things does Curtis suggest Willis do when he is worried about the Henry Street Guys?
(a) Hide out for a week and then try again.
(b) Ask Slick to help him and talk to R.V.
(c) Move out of the city and take him with him.
(d) Get protection and adopt a new approach.
11. What colors does Gweneth wear?
(a) Black and white.
(b) Blue and green.
(c) Pink and black.
(d) Red and white.
12. What does the man do to R.V. that causes him to order Aubrey to take him out?
(a) Calls the police.
(b) Punches him in the face.
(c) Trips R.V. and causes him to fall.
(d) Takes his gun away.
13. Why does Mrs. Farragot ask Winfield to speak good English?
(a) To ensure there is no miscommunication.
(b) To show her lawyer that he can.
(c) Because white people otherwise do not understand.
(d) To show that black men can be educated.
14. Why does Willis have to avoid Bertha, the cook?
(a) She is his aunt's neighbor.
(b) She is Willis's girlfriend.
(c) She is a snitch for the police.
(d) She is mean and carries a gun.
15. Why is Tarwell considering hiring Butler as an assistant pastor?
(a) To make Butler feel useful.
(b) So Tarwell can go into politics.
(c) To allow the two congregations to join.
(d) To rejoin the black community.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who caused the woman's scar?
2. What profession does Corliss Milford practice?
3. Who is looking for Billy at the end of the tale?
4. Why does Teddy start logging overtime?
5. To whom is Chelseia engaged?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)