|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters dismisses country music as a valid art form?
(b) Gloria's husband.
(d) Mrs. Boswell.
2. How does the author describe Mrs. Farragot as Milfird sees her?
(a) Relaxed and confident.
(b) Nervous and twitching.
(c) Frightened and tense.
(d) Obnoxious and argumentative.
3. What does Butler's wife advise him to do?
(a) To retire and travel with her.
(b) To go and watch a Tarwell sermon.
(c) To lay off the broken record.
(d) To add some excitement to the church.
4. What does Leon's costume have that clanks?
(a) Lots of jewlery.
(b) Huge belt buckle.
(d) Fake guns.
5. What was the most important question that the narrator wants to ask?
(a) When did this happen?
(b) What happened to Billy?
(c) Where will you go next?
(d) What is your name?
6. What makes Billy appear to strut?
(a) A birth defect.
(b) His personality.
(c) A war wound.
(d) His advice.
7. Why have people left Butler's church and gone to Rev. Tarwell's church?
(a) There are more younger people at Tarwell's church.
(b) Tarwell's church is larger and more modern.
(c) They like what they hear at Tarwell's church.
(d) Tarwell's church is air conditioned.
8. To what does the narrator compare the woman's wig and pantsuit?
(a) A big dog.
(b) A purple Cadillac.
(c) A flashing neon light.
(d) An open door in a hotel room.
9. What happens to Teddy when he fights for the knife after the woman is stabbed?
(a) He hurts Red.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He gets stabbed.
(d) He kills Billy.
10. Who is the narrator of this story?
(b) Billy's cousin.
11. What does Butler consider the processes being worn by other black men, but don't imitate the whites?
(a) A waste of time.
(b) Devil's work.
(c) To expensive to allow a profit.
(d) To modern for him.
12. How did the narrator indicate he hurt his nose?
(a) While making love.
(b) While working .
(c) While riding a bike.
(d) While running after his child.
13. What part of the scar does the woman hope can be fixed?
(a) The part at her chin.
(b) The part on her forehead.
(c) All of it.
(d) The part around the eye.
14. What does Billy do as the prison guard leads him away?
(a) Talks to his dead mother.
(b) Sings and laughs.
(c) Stares at William.
(d) Begs William to save him.
15. What does Bertha yell that Willis and R.V. need?
(a) A good whipping.
(b) To go to church.
(c) To move to a new business.
(d) Women who will treat them right.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gweneth do to the narrator that he laughs at as he remembers it much later?
2. Which of the following is true about the narrator's father?
3. Why does Mrs. Farragot ask Winfield to speak good English?
4. What does Dewey say will happen if Willis cooperates with R.V.?
5. Which of the following two professions does John Butler practice?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)