|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has made Mrs. Farragot notorious at Project Gratis?
(a) Demanding a white lawyer.
(b) Getting arrested.
(c) Refusing to cooperate with the police.
(d) Leaving the scene of a crime.
2. Who is the narrator of this story?
(c) Billy's cousin.
3. What is Farragot concerned about when she whispers to Milford?
(a) The female judge.
(b) The fact that the white officer is testifying.
(c) The fact that she is not allowed to speak yet.
(d) Lie detectors and being railroaded.
4. Which of the following characters dismisses country music as a valid art form?
(a) Gloria's husband.
(b) Mrs. Boswell.
5. What does R.V. remind Jones that they are?
(a) A gang.
(b) People who insist on loyalty.
(c) A group of accountants.
(d) A nonprofit community-based grass-roots organization.
6. What does Dewey insist Willis must do?
(a) Leave immediately.
(b) Go and find the police.
(c) Kill Slick.
(d) Declare his loyalty.
7. What is Harper's farm?
(a) A church group that rehabilitates criminals.
(b) The farm that Billy and his wife own.
(c) Where black offenders go to be put on road gangs.
(d) Where Billy hids from the law.
8. What does Dewey say will happen if Willis cooperates with R.V.?
(a) He will have to pay more money to the gang.
(b) Slick will kill him.
(c) The gang will find him.
(d) He is not welcome in the gang.
9. Which of the following doesn't Tommy's father threaten to do to Butler?
(a) Shut down Butler's church.
(b) Shut down the Butler's barbershop.
(c) Give him his own haircut.
(d) Run all the "Toms" out of town.
10. What does Butler forbid in his barber shop?
(c) Fancy cuts.
(d) Shoe shines.
11. What profession does Corliss Milford practice?
(b) Government worker.
12. For what was Mrs. Farragot arrested?
(a) Hitting an officer.
13. What does Tommy Gilmore want from Butler?
(a) A shoe shine.
(b) A sermon.
(c) An Afro.
(d) A place to work.
14. What does Butler's wife advise him to do?
(a) To retire and travel with her.
(b) To add some excitement to the church.
(c) To lay off the broken record.
(d) To go and watch a Tarwell sermon.
15. To what does the narrator compare the woman's wig and pantsuit?
(a) A flashing neon light.
(b) A big dog.
(c) An open door in a hotel room.
(d) A purple Cadillac.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Billy goes into the general store to buy an orange soda?
2. To whom is Chelseia engaged?
3. What colors does Gweneth wear?
4. What does Winfield surprise Milford by telling him?
5. Why is Corliss waiting in Mary Farragot's apartment?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)