|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tommy's father say his son's new haircut is like?
(a) Plantation Negro.
(b) Uneven and ugly.
(c) One from the 1800s.
(d) New age.
2. When are the pay-ups that R.V. is requesting due?
(a) Noon on Friday.
(b) 7 at Thursday.
(c) Mondays at noon.
(d) Saturday at 7.
3. Which of the following characters seems deeply moved by Farragot's story?
4. Why does Mrs. Boswell tell Leon he cannot go out to dance?
(a) He makes to much noise.
(b) He has razors on his shoes.
(c) He doesn't know the steps.
(d) He was too rude and mean to the narrator.
5. What does Winfield surprise Milford by telling him?
(a) That he already knew the outcome of the trial.
(b) That the judge did not like him.
(c) That he knew the officer.
(d) That Mrs. Farragot enjoys drinking bourbon.
6. What does Butler forbid in his barber shop?
(a) Fancy cuts.
(b) Shoe shines.
7. What is Harper's farm?
(a) The farm that Billy and his wife own.
(b) Where black offenders go to be put on road gangs.
(c) Where Billy hids from the law.
(d) A church group that rehabilitates criminals.
8. What does Milford dislike in Mrs. Farragot's apartment?
(a) Her Sacred Heart of Jesus painting.
(b) The cat that continues to stare at her.
(c) The way it is organized; it is too neat.
(d) Her grandfather's clock.
9. What happens when Billy goes into the general store to buy an orange soda?
(a) He is kidnapped and held captive for a month.
(b) He dies in a gunfight.
(c) He holds up the owner of the store.
(d) The owner refuses to serve him.
10. How does Butler reply when Ella says she should have married someone different?
(a) She should give the next sermon.
(b) She can't do better than him.
(c) She knows she loves him.
(d) She can leave whenever she wants.
11. What does Billy do while William finishes school?
(a) Starts a farm.
(b) Becomes a preacher.
(c) Drives garbage truck.
(d) Goes to school.
12. Where is William hoping to meet Billy?
(b) South Carolina.
(c) Harper's farm.
13. What does the narrator believe Mrs. Boswell is encouraging him to challenge?
(a) Leon's leadership.
(b) His father's rigid beliefs.
(c) Stereotypes of men.
(d) Her teachings and rules.
14. What does Bertha yell that Willis and R.V. need?
(a) Women who will treat them right.
(b) A good whipping.
(c) To move to a new business.
(d) To go to church.
15. Which of the following characters dismisses country music as a valid art form?
(b) Gloria's husband.
(d) Mrs. Boswell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Butler's regular complaint?
2. What does Billy say that he learned in the war?
3. Who is looking for Billy at the end of the tale?
4. Who is the narrator of this story?
5. What does Billy do as the prison guard leads him away?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)