|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator in this story?
(a) Mrs. Boswell.
(c) Gloria's husband.
2. Why does Tommy's father "kick (Butler's) ass"?
(a) Because he knows Butler doesn't know any better.
(b) Because he is a minister.
(c) Because he is too old.
(d) Because Butler refunded his money.
3. What does Mrs. Farragot explain to her attorney about Winfield?
(a) That he doesn't like white people.
(b) That he doesn't know what to say.
(c) That he often talks around a point.
(d) That he is intimidated by judges.
4. About what do Farragot and Milford hear Wilson reprimand Smothers?
(a) Not following Procedure.
(b) Forgetting to take a blood test.
(c) Takling down to the witness.
(d) Not showing the court respect.
5. Why does the narrator's father refuse to write him another note?
(a) He thinks it will help him get over Gweneth.
(b) He does not want him singing.
(c) He is tired of the boy changing his mind.
(d) He spent a lot of money on his outfit.
6. Why have people left Butler's church and gone to Rev. Tarwell's church?
(a) They like what they hear at Tarwell's church.
(b) Tarwell's church is larger and more modern.
(c) There are more younger people at Tarwell's church.
(d) Tarwell's church is air conditioned.
7. Why does Mrs. Boswell tell Leon he cannot go out to dance?
(a) He was too rude and mean to the narrator.
(b) He doesn't know the steps.
(c) He has razors on his shoes.
(d) He makes to much noise.
8. Which of the following is true about the narrator's father?
(a) He throws tantrums.
(b) He is abusive and violent.
(c) He spoils the narrator.
(d) He loves dancing and Northern pretentious.
9. What does Butler forbid in his barber shop?
(a) Fancy cuts.
(d) Shoe shines.
10. What does Billy do during his lunch break at the post office?
(a) Snoops through people's mail.
(b) Talks to the women.
11. Why does Ray say he is moving to a new parlor?
(a) He has a family to support.
(b) He wants to try some new cuts.
(c) He and his family are moving their home.
(d) He cannot stand Butler.
12. What happens to Teddy when he fights for the knife after the woman is stabbed?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He kills Billy.
(c) He gets stabbed.
(d) He hurts Red.
13. What does Jones admit to being and also to never being?
(a) To being a business man but never stupid.
(b) To killing but never getting caught.
(c) To being a member of the gang but never killing.
(d) To being young but never a fool.
14. Which of the following doesn't Tommy's father threaten to do to Butler?
(a) Give him his own haircut.
(b) Run all the "Toms" out of town.
(c) Shut down the Butler's barbershop.
(d) Shut down Butler's church.
15. What does Gweneth do to the narrator that he laughs at as he remembers it much later?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator tell Mrs. Boswell at recess that makes her laugh?
2. How do Billy's enemies feel?
3. What does Jones say that big time businessmen can do?
4. How did the narrator indicate he hurt his nose?
5. Who does Mrs. Boswell use as her foil when telling the boys how to find wives?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)