|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Willis say that it is crazy to confront someone?
(a) When they work for Slick.
(b) When they have nothing to lose or give.
(c) When others are watching.
(d) When their hands are hidden under a counter.
2. Who is the narrator in this story?
(b) Gloria's husband.
(d) Mrs. Boswell.
3. What does Billy do during his lunch break at the post office?
(c) Snoops through people's mail.
(d) Talks to the women.
4. Which of the following is true about the narrator's father?
(a) He is abusive and violent.
(b) He spoils the narrator.
(c) He throws tantrums.
(d) He loves dancing and Northern pretentious.
5. What does Milford dislike in Mrs. Farragot's apartment?
(a) Her Sacred Heart of Jesus painting.
(b) Her grandfather's clock.
(c) The cat that continues to stare at her.
(d) The way it is organized; it is too neat.
6. What does Leon's costume have that clanks?
(a) Huge belt buckle.
(b) Fake guns.
(c) Lots of jewlery.
7. How does Winfield describe the street on the night in question?
(a) Like a musical.
(b) Like a stage.
(c) Like a parade on Easter Sunday.
(d) Like a convention of Italian gangsters.
8. What does R.V. remind Jones that they are?
(a) People who insist on loyalty.
(b) A gang.
(c) A group of accountants.
(d) A nonprofit community-based grass-roots organization.
9. What does Red say the other workers are feeling since she started dating Billy?
(a) They envy her.
(b) They like her more.
(c) They think they are out for a fall.
(d) They resent her attitude.
10. What does the note from the narrator's father say will happen if he has to dance?
(a) He will cry and ruin the show.
(b) He will stand there and refuse to move.
(c) He will cause others to be hurt.
(d) He will not show up for the show.
11. Which of the following doesn't Tommy's father threaten to do to Butler?
(a) Shut down the Butler's barbershop.
(b) Shut down Butler's church.
(c) Give him his own haircut.
(d) Run all the "Toms" out of town.
12. How many doctors has the woman seen?
13. What does she say about the first doctor?
(a) He refused to touch her.
(b) He said the stabbing was her fault.
(c) He stitched her up like a turkey.
(d) He was a plastic surgeon.
14. What does Butler believe shaping the hair of boys does for them?
(a) Works to help him stay current.
(b) Shapes their lives.
(c) Allows for racial harmony.
(d) Helps the community stay together.
15. What was the most important question that the narrator wants to ask?
(a) What is your name?
(b) What happened to Billy?
(c) Where will you go next?
(d) When did this happen?
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment does Mrs. Boswell make about the narrator?
2. What does Billy do as the prison guard leads him away?
3. What does Billy do while William finishes school?
4. What was the occupation of Billy and William's namesake?
5. Why does Mrs. Boswell tell Leon he cannot go out to dance?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)