|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator tell Mrs. Boswell at recess that makes her laugh?
(a) That he cannot dance.
(b) That he would rather be a plaiter.
(c) That he wants to be partners with Gweneth.
(d) That Leon hurt him.
2. What does Dewey insist Willis must do?
(a) Kill Slick.
(b) Go and find the police.
(c) Leave immediately.
(d) Declare his loyalty.
3. To what does the narrator compare the woman's wig and pantsuit?
(a) An open door in a hotel room.
(b) A big dog.
(c) A flashing neon light.
(d) A purple Cadillac.
4. What two things resurrect the narrator's memory of Gweneth?
(a) Square dancing and spurs.
(b) Lemon and country music.
(c) Jangles and Brooklyn.
(d) May poles and laughter.
5. After whom are Billy and William named?
(b) Maternal grandfather.
(c) Paternal grandfather.
(d) Mother's favorite singer.
6. Which character is nicknamed Eldorado?
7. What does Milford dislike in Mrs. Farragot's apartment?
(a) The cat that continues to stare at her.
(b) Her Sacred Heart of Jesus painting.
(c) Her grandfather's clock.
(d) The way it is organized; it is too neat.
8. What does the note from the narrator's father say will happen if he has to dance?
(a) He will cause others to be hurt.
(b) He will stand there and refuse to move.
(c) He will cry and ruin the show.
(d) He will not show up for the show.
9. Which of the following is true about the narrator's father?
(a) He loves dancing and Northern pretentious.
(b) He throws tantrums.
(c) He spoils the narrator.
(d) He is abusive and violent.
10. With what does Wilson have an odd fascination?
(a) Farragot's expression.
(b) Milford's silver hair.
(c) Farragot's earrings.
(d) Winfield's red handkerchief.
11. What does Dewey wear to show people he is fearless?
(a) Purple beret.
(c) Willis's clothes.
(d) Slick's bar shirt.
12. What is Billy's job at Dillingham Automotives, Inc.?
(a) Getting the cars ready to be picked up.
(b) Tracking down blacks who default on their car loans.
(c) Keeping the cars and the car lot safe.
(d) Selling cars to blacks.
13. Who caused the woman's scar?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her boyfriend.
14. Why have people left Butler's church and gone to Rev. Tarwell's church?
(a) Tarwell's church is larger and more modern.
(b) There are more younger people at Tarwell's church.
(c) They like what they hear at Tarwell's church.
(d) Tarwell's church is air conditioned.
15. How many years is Billy at the farm before he is paroled?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the narrator indicate he hurt his nose?
2. Why do many of the boys get off at Gweneth's stop?
3. What was the occupation of Billy and William's namesake?
4. What does Butler believe shaping the hair of boys does for them?
5. Why does R.V. say they should join forces?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)