|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Eisenhower think of the next President and the relationship with the Russians?
2. What did Eisenhower think was more important than what the military was asking for?
3. What did Arkansas do in September 1958 after the National Guard was recalled?
4. What happened to Eisenhower in September 1955?
5. What was the topic of the conference in which the Russians agreed to participate in 1958?
Short Essay Questions
1. After another heart attack, what did Eisenhower do?
2. How did Eisenhower approach the arms race, in Chapter 13?
3. What did Eisenhower tell Johnson?
4. In Chapter 14, what happened with Oppenheimer, McCarthy, and Eisenhower?
5. What happened to Eisenhower in November 1957, as discussed in Chapter 19?
6. What did Eisenhower do from his hospital room after another heart attack?
7. What happened in September 1955 and what did Eisenhower reconsider?
8. What happened about the Supreme Court ruling, in Chapter 16?
9. What happened in September 1957 through September 1958?
10. What was significant about Berlin, in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The civil rights movement and Eisenhower's incapacity to clearly take sides will always remain a dark spot on his legacy. Why do you think Eisenhower took so long to take side on the civil rights movement? Discuss the effects that this ambiguity had on the American people, citing the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
The U-2 was a spy plane the U.S thought invincible. What effect did the shooting down of the U-2 in the Soviet Union have on Eisenhower and the American people? Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Eisenhower agreed to halt the test of nuclear weapons? Was it because of environmental, political or moral reasons? Use the text to support your reasoning.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)