|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the National Guard called in Arkansas in September 1957?
2. What did Eisenhower feel about other possible presidential contenders?
3. Why did the U.S. military want more money?
4. Who announced his intention not to run for President again?
5. Who was at the head of Russia in 1958?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Eisenhower go and what did he need to do, in Chapter 22?
2. What happened between Eisenhower, the British, and the French, according to Chapter 17?
3. What happened in September 1957 through September 1958?
4. What did Eisenhower do from his hospital room after another heart attack?
5. In Chapter 14, what happened with Oppenheimer, McCarthy, and Eisenhower?
6. What occurred in July 1955, in Chapter 16?
7. What happened about the Supreme Court ruling, in Chapter 16?
8. In Chapter 23, who called Eisenhower for advice?
9. What happened to Eisenhower in November 1957, as discussed in Chapter 19?
10. What did Eisenhower promise to America in Chapter 13, and why was this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Eisenhower proposed open sky reconnaissance to the Soviets? Who would have had the most to gain with the open proposal? Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Eisenhower agreed to halt the test of nuclear weapons? Was it because of environmental, political or moral reasons? Use the text to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Eisenhower was suspicious of the military's demand for increasing it's spending budget. Why do you think Eisenhower refused to give the military financing to grow? Do you think Eisenhower's decision to not give the military as much money as they asked for put the U.S. at risk during his presidency? Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)