|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Eisenhower refuse to allow to appear before the senate hearing on Communism?
2. What happened to Eisenhower in November 1957, according to Chapter 19?
3. What did Eisenhower order the National Guard to do at Little Rock?
4. What did Eisenhower promise the American people in 1951 if he was elected, according to Chapter 13?
5. Who would the U.S. support if France and Britain did not agree to a cease fire, in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Eisenhower go and what did he need to do, in Chapter 22?
2. Who was Khruschev and why was he significant?
3. What was Eisenhower doing with the U-2 planes in Chapter 21, and why was it significant?
4. Who was with Eisenhower when he passed away?
5. After another heart attack, what did Eisenhower do?
6. In Chapter 14, what happened with Oppenheimer, McCarthy, and Eisenhower?
7. In Chapter 14, what did Eisenhower refuse to allow?
8. How did Eisenhower react to the bill passed by the Supreme Court?
9. What backfired, according to Chapter 18?
10. What was significant about Berlin, in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Eisenhower's first cabinet called "eight millionaires and one plumber"? In an essay, discuss who made up his cabinet and what influence they had on American politics. Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
The civil rights movement and Eisenhower's incapacity to clearly take sides will always remain a dark spot on his legacy. Why do you think Eisenhower took so long to take side on the civil rights movement? Discuss the effects that this ambiguity had on the American people, citing the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy spearheaded the fight against Communist infiltration. In an essay, analyze the relationship between McCarthy and Eisenhower, using the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)