|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Eisenhower hesitate to pull back during the battle mentioned in Chapter 4?
2. How did Eisenhower compare the bureaucracy at his new job to that of the military bureaucracy during the war?
3. Who did Eisenhower talk about the importance of NATO with?
4. What did Patton use as leverage to try to influence Eisenhower?
5. What was Eisenhower's main academic interest while in college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on June 6, 1944?
2. What did Eisenhower learn in Chapter 4?
3. What was Eisenhower not accustomed to, at the start of Chapter 9?
4. What did Eisenhower do after he retired from the army?
5. How does Chapter 3 describe Eisenhower's treatment of American troops?
6. What did Eisenhower finally tell Montgomery in Chapter 6, and how did Montgomery react?
7. What did Eisenhower assemble, according to Chapter 11?
8. What damaged Eisenhower's British American relations?
9. Who were Mongtomery and Brooks, and why were they significant?
10. What angered the military and the Republicans in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Eisenhower tried to avoid having Nixon on the presidential ticket for his second term? Use the text and outside sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Eisenhower wanted Johnson to end the Vietnam War quickly. Do you think the military background of Eisenhower allowed him to see the situation better than Johnson? Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
The civil rights movement and Eisenhower's incapacity to clearly take sides will always remain a dark spot on his legacy. Why do you think Eisenhower took so long to take side on the civil rights movement? Discuss the effects that this ambiguity had on the American people, citing the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)