|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Eisenhower do for the first time, at the start of Chapter 4?
2. What was Eisenhower asked to do, according to Chapter 8?
3. What was Eisenhower doing while the burnings occurred in his first term?
4. What did Eisenhower realize before deciding to run for President?
5. What did Patton use as leverage to try to influence Eisenhower?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Eisenhower meet in Chapter 2, and what role did he play in Eisenhower's life?
2. In Chapter 3, what role did Eisenhower take on and how did this change his life?
3. What happened for Eisenhower after the war, according to Chapter 8?
4. What did Eisenhower assemble, according to Chapter 11?
5. What angered the military and the Republicans in Chapter 12?
6. What did Eisenhower do after he retired from the army?
7. Who were Dwight Eisenhower's parents?
8. Who were Mongtomery and Brooks, and why were they significant?
9. What did Eisenhower recognize about the British in Chapter 5?
10. What was Eisenhower not accustomed to, at the start of Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eisenhower wanted Johnson to end the Vietnam War quickly. Do you think the military background of Eisenhower allowed him to see the situation better than Johnson? Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Eisenhower was credited for having played both sides against the middle in the fight between Patton and Montgomery. Knowing Eisenhower's past and future tendency to not take sides, do you think Eisenhower pitted them against each other or was simply not capable of making a decision? Use the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Eisenhower tried to avoid having Nixon on the presidential ticket for his second term? Use the text and outside sources to support your discussion.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)