|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Eisenhower trying to do during the first year of his first term?
2. How was Eisenhower's decision to allow the Bolsheviks to capture the city judged?
3. What was everyone looking for Eisenhower to do in 1948?
4. After what event did Eisenhower decide to keep his running mate?
5. What did Montgomery and Brooks try to do to Eisenhower concerning the battle plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened at Fort Sam Houston, Texas?
2. What did Eisenhower ask of Nixon in Chapter 10?
3. In Chapter 3, what role did Eisenhower take on and how did this change his life?
4. How does Chapter 3 describe Eisenhower's treatment of American troops?
5. What did Eisenhower finally tell Montgomery in Chapter 6, and how did Montgomery react?
6. What happened between Eisenhower and Truman, and how was it significant, in Chapter 11?
7. In Chapter 12, what struggle started between Eisenhower and Joe McCarthy?
8. What did Eisenhower recognize about the British in Chapter 5?
9. How was Eisenhower's relationship with Mary (Mamie) after the war?
10. What did Eisenhower assemble, according to Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Eisenhower agreed to halt the test of nuclear weapons? Was it because of environmental, political or moral reasons? Use the text to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Why did the relationship between MacArthur and Eisenhower sour? Do you think it was their personalities that conflicted or their view on war and command? Use the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The civil rights movement and Eisenhower's incapacity to clearly take sides will always remain a dark spot on his legacy. Why do you think Eisenhower took so long to take side on the civil rights movement? Discuss the effects that this ambiguity had on the American people, citing the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)