|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Eisenhower's decision to allow the Bolsheviks to capture the city judged?
2. What did Truman want to propose to Eisenhower before discovering his political loyalties?
3. How many brothers did Eisenhower have?
4. What action would have allowed Eisenhower to win the battle mentioned in Chapter 4?
5. What did Eisenhower try to do with the press during his first term?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what role did Eisenhower take on and how did this change his life?
2. How was Eisenhower's relationship with Mary (Mamie) after the war?
3. What did Eisenhower learn in Chapter 4?
4. What damaged Eisenhower's British American relations?
5. What did Eisenhower do to prepare for war, and why was this significant?
6. Who were Mongtomery and Brooks, and why were they significant?
7. What was Eisenhower not accustomed to, at the start of Chapter 9?
8. What was significant about the way in which Eisenhower spoke?
9. What happened at the Battle at Kasserine, and why was it significant?
10. What happened between Eisenhower and Truman, and how was it significant, in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eisenhower was suspicious of the military's demand for increasing it's spending budget. Why do you think Eisenhower refused to give the military financing to grow? Do you think Eisenhower's decision to not give the military as much money as they asked for put the U.S. at risk during his presidency? Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Eisenhower suffered several heart attacks during his first term. Do you think a president today could be elected with the poor health Eisenhower had when he ran for the second time?
Essay Topic 3
The Suez Canal was considered the last attempt of France and England to assert their power over the U.S and Russia. Why do you think Eisenhower chose to support Egypt when most of the money Egypt spent on modernization was from Russia? Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)