|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political party was Truman a member of?
2. In what town did Eisenhower spend his youth?
3. When did the invasion of France finally occur?
4. Where was Eisenhower stationed when Pearl Harbor was bombed in 1941?
5. What was Eisenhower's running mate accused of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Eisenhower realize about the presidency, in Chapter 9?
2. Who were Dwight Eisenhower's parents?
3. In Chapter 3, what role did Eisenhower take on and how did this change his life?
4. What happened at Fort Sam Houston, Texas?
5. In Chapter 12, what struggle started between Eisenhower and Joe McCarthy?
6. Who did Eisenhower meet in Chapter 2, and what role did he play in Eisenhower's life?
7. What happened during the time that Montgomery spent arguing?
8. In Chapter 10, who did Eisenhower choose as vice president, and what obstacle did this present?
9. What opportunity did Truman present to Eisenhower, in Chapter 9?
10. What did Eisenhower assemble, according to Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The civil rights movement and Eisenhower's incapacity to clearly take sides will always remain a dark spot on his legacy. Why do you think Eisenhower took so long to take side on the civil rights movement? Discuss the effects that this ambiguity had on the American people, citing the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Eisenhower agreed to finance their war in Indochina (Vietnam)? Make sure to explore the paradox of Eisenhower's fight in Nazi Germany and later helping France impose their domination over a foreign country. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Eisenhower endorsed Nixon when he tried to have him off the ticket of his second term only a few years prior? Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)