|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Eisenhower stationed when Pearl Harbor was bombed in 1941?
2. What was Eisenhower trying to do during the first year of his first term?
3. What was more important than being right, according to Eisenhower in Chapter 5?
4. What battle did Montgomery's bickering jeopardize, according to Eisenhower in Chapter 6?
5. What city did Eisenhower allow the Bolsheviks to capture?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what happened with Oppenheimer, McCarthy, and Eisenhower?
2. What happened for Eisenhower after the war, according to Chapter 8?
3. In Chapter 18, why did Sputnik evoke fear in the American people?
4. What happened to Eisenhower in November 1957, as discussed in Chapter 19?
5. What was significant about the way in which Eisenhower spoke?
6. What happened between Eisenhower, the British, and the French, according to Chapter 17?
7. In Chapter 3, what role did Eisenhower take on and how did this change his life?
8. What did Eisenhower tell Johnson?
9. What happened at the Battle at Kasserine, and why was it significant?
10. What did Eisenhower do after he retired from the army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eisenhower suffered several heart attacks during his first term. Do you think a president today could be elected with the poor health Eisenhower had when he ran for the second time?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Eisenhower agreed to finance their war in Indochina (Vietnam)? Make sure to explore the paradox of Eisenhower's fight in Nazi Germany and later helping France impose their domination over a foreign country. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Khrushchev tried to blackmail Eisenhower into pulling the NATO troops from West Berlin. Do you think Eisenhower's refusal to comply put the world at risk of a nuclear war? Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 1,463 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)