|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened after Eisenhower assumed total command over the land base operations?
2. Who called for Eisenhower to come to Washington just days after Pearl Harbor?
3. What rumor arose during World War II concerning Eisenhower?
4. What command did Eisenhower finally take in England?
5. What did Eisenhower do to the military spending in his first year as President?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chapter 3 describe Eisenhower's treatment of American troops?
2. What did Eisenhower realize about the presidency, in Chapter 9?
3. What angered the military and the Republicans in Chapter 12?
4. What happened to the German forces in Chapter 7?
5. What was significant about the way in which Eisenhower spoke?
6. What happened for Eisenhower after the war, according to Chapter 8?
7. What did Eisenhower assemble, according to Chapter 11?
8. Who were Dwight Eisenhower's parents?
9. What did Eisenhower recognize about the British in Chapter 5?
10. In Chapter 12, what struggle started between Eisenhower and Joe McCarthy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The civil rights movement and Eisenhower's incapacity to clearly take sides will always remain a dark spot on his legacy. Why do you think Eisenhower took so long to take side on the civil rights movement? Discuss the effects that this ambiguity had on the American people, citing the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Eisenhower endorsed Nixon when he tried to have him off the ticket of his second term only a few years prior? Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Eisenhower wanted Johnson to end the Vietnam War quickly. Do you think the military background of Eisenhower allowed him to see the situation better than Johnson? Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)