|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Eisenhower do to handle the challenge he faced at the start of his first term?
2. What was Eisenhower's running mate accused of?
3. Where was Eisenhower stationed at the end of 1921?
4. Who did Eisenhower make a deal with over North Africa?
5. What was the only way to be successful in battle, according to Eisenhower?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Eisenhower finally tell Montgomery in Chapter 6, and how did Montgomery react?
2. What happened at Fort Sam Houston, Texas?
3. What did Eisenhower ask of Nixon in Chapter 10?
4. What did Eisenhower do to prepare for war, and why was this significant?
5. Who did Eisenhower meet in Chapter 2, and what role did he play in Eisenhower's life?
6. What did Eisenhower do after he retired from the army?
7. What angered the military and the Republicans in Chapter 12?
8. How does Chapter 3 describe Eisenhower's treatment of American troops?
9. What happened on June 6, 1944?
10. What happened at the Battle at Kasserine, and why was it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The arms race between Russia and the U.S started in the years following World War II. Why do you think both sides decided to produce both nuclear and conventional weapons? Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Why was Eisenhower's first cabinet called "eight millionaires and one plumber"? In an essay, discuss who made up his cabinet and what influence they had on American politics. Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Eisenhower was suspicious of the military's demand for increasing it's spending budget. Why do you think Eisenhower refused to give the military financing to grow? Do you think Eisenhower's decision to not give the military as much money as they asked for put the U.S. at risk during his presidency? Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)