|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city did Eisenhower allow the Bolsheviks to capture?
2. What action would have allowed Eisenhower to win the battle mentioned in Chapter 4?
3. Who did Eisenhower try to maintain friendly relations with?
4. What did many Republicans want him to do after accusations about his running mate arose?
5. What did Eisenhower insist was important to maintain, at the end of Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened at Fort Sam Houston, Texas?
2. What did Eisenhower do after he retired from the army?
3. What did Eisenhower spend a lot of time doing?
4. How was Eisenhower's relationship with Mary (Mamie) after the war?
5. What angered the military and the Republicans in Chapter 12?
6. What did Eisenhower realize about the presidency, in Chapter 9?
7. Who did Eisenhower meet in Chapter 2, and what role did he play in Eisenhower's life?
8. In Chapter 3, what role did Eisenhower take on and how did this change his life?
9. In Chapter 12, what struggle started between Eisenhower and Joe McCarthy?
10. Who were Dwight Eisenhower's parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The arms race between Russia and the U.S started in the years following World War II. Why do you think both sides decided to produce both nuclear and conventional weapons? Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
The civil rights movement and Eisenhower's incapacity to clearly take sides will always remain a dark spot on his legacy. Why do you think Eisenhower took so long to take side on the civil rights movement? Discuss the effects that this ambiguity had on the American people, citing the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Eisenhower did not clearly endorse Nixon during his first run for president in 1960. Why do you think Eisenhower did not make his views of Nixon clear? Do you think Eisenhower not endorsing Nixon cost Nixon the election? Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)