|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Nixon respond to Eisenhower's request concerning the 1956 election?
(a) He refused.
(b) He accepted.
(c) He stalled.
(d) He tried to mount Kennedy against Eisenhower.
2. What did Chapter 20 say about Eisenhower's dealings with Russia in 1961 and 1962?
(a) He planned for a first strike.
(b) He tried to trick the Soviets into surrendering.
(c) He groomed his replacement.
(d) He tried to maintain peace.
3. What situation required Eisenhower's attention during his 1956 campaign?
(a) The Yom Kippur War.
(b) The Suez Canal crisis.
(c) The invasion of Aifa.
(d) Mer el Kebir.
4. How many heart attacks did Eisenhower suffer while hospitalized?
5. What did Eisenhower do during Nixon's campaign for President?
(a) He refused to endorse him.
(b) He endorsed his opponent.
(c) He refused to get involved.
(d) He fully endorsed him.
6. What was settled at the end of the Summit?
(b) The nuclear testing problem.
(d) The prisoner of war problem.
7. Why did the U.S. military want more money?
(a) To build a carrier fleet.
(b) To build more rockets.
(c) To make more atomic weapons.
(d) To build more tanks.
8. What was lost at the end of the senate hearing on Communism?
(a) Eisenhower's will to continue being President.
(b) The plans for the H bomb.
(c) All traces of Oppenheimer.
(d) McCarthy's credibility.
9. What was the topic of the conference in which the Russians agreed to participate in 1958?
(a) Talk about supervision of nuclear weapons testing.
(b) Space flight.
(c) Prisoner exchange.
10. What did Eisenhower think was more important than what the military was asking for?
(a) His re-election bid.
(b) Long range bombers.
(c) A balanced budget.
11. What did Eisenhower refuse to do for the French?
(a) Use the H Bomb on Vietnam.
(b) Intervene in Algeria.
(c) Intervene in their internal affairs.
(d) Give them the back section of a submarine.
12. Who did the British agree to turn the canal over to after negotiating with Eisenhower?
(b) The U.S.
13. What did Eisenhower do to protect American interests in Iran?
(a) Give Iran weapons to fight its insurgency.
(b) Take the main port to pressure the Shah.
(c) Invade Iran.
(d) Oust Mossadegh and return the shah to power.
14. What simple things did Eisenhower need to relearn?
(a) Not asking for the impossible.
(b) Telling the truth.
(c) Dialing a phone and typing.
(d) Not barking orders.
15. How much surplus did the U.S. have in 1960?
(a) 34 million.
(b) 1 billion.
(c) 750 million.
(d) 2 billion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would the Republicans have preferred instead of an armistice?
2. What was Eisenhower's last order to his son and grandson?
3. Who did Eisenhower want to sign a treaty with in 1958?
4. What was Eisenhower's main concern during 1958?
5. What summit took place in July 1955, according to Chapter 16?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)