|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Eisenhower do to the military spending in his first year as President?
(a) He delegated its calculation to Joe Fox.
(b) He increased it.
(c) He tried to keep it the same.
(d) He cut it.
2. What was the code name for the invasion of France?
3. What was Eisenhower trying to have both sides of the crisis he faced during his first term think?
(a) That he wanted them to settle it in the senate.
(b) That he didn't care.
(c) That he was on their side.
(d) That he preferred McCarthy.
4. What was Eisenhower's main non-academic interest while in college?
5. What battle did Montgomery's bickering jeopardize, according to Eisenhower in Chapter 6?
(a) Battle of Caen.
(b) The invasion of North Africa.
(c) The Battle of the Bulge.
(d) The invasion of Italy
6. When did the relationship between Eisenhower and MacArthur sour?
(a) After Eisenhower refused to salute MacArthur.
(b) After MacArthur was passed over in favor in Eisenhower.
(c) After MacArthur was refused more troops.
(d) After the "debacle on the island."
7. What did Truman want to propose to Eisenhower before discovering his political loyalties?
(a) To have Eisenhower run as his vice president.
(b) To run as Eisenhower's vice president.
(c) To replace Nixon as vice president.
(d) To have John F. Kennedy run with Eisenhower.
8. What did Montgomery and Brooks try to do to Eisenhower concerning the battle plan?
(a) They tried to convince Eisenhower to take more risks.
(b) They tried to convince Eisenhower to stop supporting Patton.
(c) They tried to convince Eisenhower to surrender his command.
(d) They tried to convince Eisenhower their plan was better.
9. What rumor arose during World War II concerning Eisenhower?
(a) An affair with his driver.
(b) He favored Patton over Montgomery.
(c) He had cancer.
(d) He started drinking.
10. What was everyone looking for Eisenhower to do in 1948?
(a) Win the Korean War.
(b) Make peace with Stalin.
(c) Run for President.
11. What postponed the invasion of France for several days?
(a) Sabotage of the radar network of England.
(b) Mechanical problems with the fleet.
(c) Delays in receiving vital information.
12. Who did Eisenhower hesitate to pull back during the battle mentioned in Chapter 4?
13. What did Eisenhower insist was important to maintain, at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) A good relationship with the French.
(b) A fleet of 12 aircraft carriers.
(c) Peace with the Soviet Union.
(d) A strong military presence in Germany.
14. What was more important than being right, according to Eisenhower in Chapter 5?
(a) Liberation of France.
(b) The good relationship with Montgomery.
(c) Getting to Berlin before the Russians.
(d) His friendship with Patton.
15. Who represented Eisenhower's main challenge at the start of his presidency?
(b) Harry Truman.
(c) Richard Nixon.
(d) Joe McCarthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose troop does Chapter 5 say did not advance as far as expected?
2. What was Eisenhower called by those who wanted him to run for President?
3. Who did Chapter 5 say wanted to claim victory in France as his own alone?
4. When did Eisenhower decide to run for President?
5. What did Eisenhower say he realized in 1948 concerning the Bolsheviks?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)